I know this has been brought up on this forum, but for the life of me I can't find it. There are many mixed emotions about this topic floating around and all opinions are welcome. My main focus for this thread will be figuring out a way to blend these ideas into a few solid options.

We all know the feeling of leaving your TV for dinner or a glass of water, only to find the game over or you yourself down. Saving a crawler is a great method and all. But what if the crawler dies and becomes a walker. Then your friend attempts to create another and fails, thus starting a new round.

I have a general view of how I think it would work. I think it could be tweaked, and I'm sure there are flaws I have not thought of. That is where you, the community come in. Please help me make this work.

Vote to Pause:

Let's say you are on round 30 (round about number) and you realize dinner is done or you forgot to do something. You tell your friend or friends of the dilemma and unanimously decide to take a break. (your friends could go ahead and use the restroom or something; or rest their eyes.) You save a crawler, enter the pause menu, and select vote to pause. Once everyone has selected it, a countdown from five begins and the game pauses. EDIT: In order to resume the game, you would simply vote to resume.

I know there will be nay-sayers. I am fine with that as long as you answer with explanation. I don't want to see "NO" and the post ends. Thanks for making it this far.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, it would "kill the thrill" so to speak. But if you were stopping the game, it was probably for a good reason. There is no way around the fact that all in all your life comes first. Things come up during zombie matches all the time. Especially since they last a good four hours at least. This would just give you a chance to keep your game, and still handle what life may through at you.

I think this option should only exist in private matches. People might abuse it on public matches. (Dumb people would whine about it being paused too long even though they consented to it.) Besides, you would only ever need it on private matches anyway (most of the time). Also, I do not think there should be a time limit. Or perhaps, you then vote on the time limit, if any. For example:

Player 1 wants 10 minutes

Player 2 wants 24 minutes

Player 3 wants 24 minutes

Player 4 wants 24 minutes

Since all players cannot agree, only 10 minutes will be allotted. Going to the lowest number is better than the highest because the game is meant to be played, not paused. Pausing is an inconvenience, so the guy(s) who don't need to wait that long should get priority. This assumes of course you're not rational people who can come to a consensus.

I think this, coupled with where if you lag out of a game, you are allowed a window of opportunity to rejoin the game in progress, would both make gameplay a lot better, and it would reduce losses to "I got murdered by Zombies" instead of "My connection faded out" or "I had to poop."

Definitely something that should be implemented into private games, it'd have no place in random lobbies. There shouldn't be a time limit though, maybe have it so that the action doesn't freeze until all players are at the pause menu, and doesn't unfreeze until everyone exits the pause menu.

I'm definitely not opposed to a pause feature, but i think it should be a selectable option, which by selecting, you're rounds would not count toward the leaderboards. I think it would actually be kind of fun to have some custom game modes or modifiers (i.e. unlimited ammo, paintball mode, all guns mode, etc) to play with, but no games played with modifiers would count towards leaderboard rankings

I hate this idea. If you have to go do stuff all the time or you absolutely have to go mid round play solo. Or just do what everyone does now and make a crawler at the end of the round and go do what you have to do. If you fail at protecting your teammate then thats your fault. If they add a pause option then I know there will be multiple 99s within the first few days of the game. Its just not a challenge anymore if you can pause. Im scared that treyarch will read these posts and actually think this is a good idea!!! The thing thats hard about co-op is the fact that you cant pause it! It will completely ruin zombies for me and alot of other people if they add a pause option!!! Also dont argue with me(like I know you all will)saying how im wrong and I am not being reasonable because really adding a pause option is not reaonable to any of the "good" zombie players.

The only way I can see this working is similar to L4D where votes could be called to either restart, leave game or select a new campaign, however just a simple pause function might be a bit more complicated. Basically, all players would have to simultaneously agree to pause the game via Vote option, then one person (the host) would have to give the okay to resume game.

However, I do think that a lot of people will use this to their advantage of getting to ridiculously high rounds. while it may not be cheating, it's not what I'd call "legit" either. There would at least have to be a time limit on the pause before it ultimately booted everyone for inactivity.

I think just making the time it takes crawlers to respawn a little bit more than it is now would solve this problem. Bcause if they did add a pause option alot of people would be in games for multiple days and end up getting disconncted and blame it on treyarch. Also a big problem for getting far is you get to tired to play and start not playing as good. So if they added a pause option then it would let any random person get to 99. That is basicly what happened t black ops a few months ago. People found out how to go to sleep by puttng a rubber band on there controller and boarding up a window while they sleep and the zombie would not ever kill them or die and respawn. I was ranked top 20 until people found out about that then I was ranked top 50 with 87. If they fix that and not have a pause option the game will last alot longer. Because people wont get to a round like 99 as fast and most rounds on the leaderoards will be "legit". Which will encouage people to keep playing and be motivated to be the first to a certain round.

I like the idea of a pause feature being introduced but at the same time I very wary of the idea like many of the above posters.

For one I'm against any sort of unlimited time pause. Players should not be able to pause a game, sleep for 9-12 hours, wake up, and start right where they left off. As was stated above, we will see 99's within days of a maps release.

Part of the struggle (most of the struggle in some cases) of high round runs is fighting the utter and complete exhaustion that comes with it. This should remain.

Also I'm against it being a solely private match feature. There are plenty of games with randoms that turn into more than a game with randoms, and breaks are needed. It needs to be integrated into all co-op games.

The whole idea of the pause feature is to allow short breaks without relying on crawlers, as there's too much variance.

One solution is every 2 hours or so (some set time limit), once the current round ends, a prompt displays to all players asking if they would like a 5/10 minute break. (I'm not sure which is better 5 or 10 maybe 7.5 :P ). If any player selects yes, a break countdown displays on everyones screen. (Action resumes in 4:59, so on).

If everyone says No, the game resumes immediately. If no one responds, the game resumes in 10 seconds. This would allow short breaks without being worried if you're going to die for getting a drink, smoking a cigarette, or taking a leak. Also trolls wouldnt be a problem as you could only break every 2 hours and the breaks are a set time. Plus you wouldn't need four player consent, you want a break take it!

And finally for anyone needing a longer break well you're in the same boat as you're in now and will have to coordinate with teammates. I don't think treyarch should implement anything over 10 minutes max.

Thanks to anyone who read all that!

Well. I knew there would be people like yeti. You got so mad at the idea and the fact it might be seen, that you completely went blind and started yelling. :lol: I love it. This is merely an idea yeti, calm down there buddy. :evil:

Now as for the rest of you, I can see your worries, and they are justifiable. The main reason shared in all the posts is the fact that there will be more 99'ers. :lol: Really? Zombies takes forever as is. Why would you think adding more time to that would help? I know there are people who don't have lives and they are able to play nonstop without breaks. The majority of people have children, or girlfriends, or duties, or chores, or a social life, or money, or they are thirsty, or hungry, or a dog, or they smoke, or school, and I can go on and on.

Even if they don't add it, I will be fine with that. I haave made it this far already, so going further is no problem. The difference between us, is I won't be messaging you yelling at your ideas if they do make it. You people(and you know who you are) are hilarious. Yeti if you care to continue blindly typing, send me a message, I'm sure I can make you a lot more mad. I have plenty more ideas where that came from... :) Only kidding.

I knew that was coming. You said all opinions are welcome, I guess you were wrong. Anyways I wasnt getting mad, I am just trying to make everyone actually think about how bad of a idea it is to have a pause option. Everyone says the same thing, if you have a 99 then you must have no life. I dont see why everyone thinks that though, I did a 99 in 18 hours my second time going to 99. I have all the free time to do whatever I want and I just choose to sometimes play zombies, and I am good enough to get to 99 so why not do it if I have nothing better to do. Its fun. You can do all the things you listed and still have high rounds on zombies, I understand maybe some people cant but that is such a small number of people that might not even be getting that far anyways that there is no point in adding a pause option just for some people. If they add a pause option then you will have to g to 99 to be ranked high. With no pause option and no sleepers there will be world records in the 70s!!! And that will make the very few people who do get a 80+ or 90+ be respected even more and have a higher rank on the leaderboards for their hard work.

One solution is every 2 hours or so (some set time limit), once the current round ends, a prompt displays to all players asking if they would like a 5/10 minute break. (I'm not sure which is better 5 or 10 maybe 7.5 :P ). If any player selects yes, a break countdown displays on everyones screen. (Action resumes in 4:59, so on).

If everyone says No, the game resumes immediately. If no one responds, the game resumes in 10 seconds. This would allow short breaks without being worried if you're going to die for getting a drink, smoking a cigarette, or taking a leak. Also trolls wouldnt be a problem as you could only break every 2 hours and the breaks are a set time. Plus you wouldn't need four player consent, you want a break take it!

And finally for anyone needing a longer break well you're in the same boat as you're in now and will have to coordinate with teammates. I don't think treyarch should implement anything over 10 minutes max.

This. Definitely. I think 5 minutes if only one player, hits yes, and then perhaps a majority vote for 10? Not sure. But what was wrote above was great.

Well you can always make a crawler if you have to do something. I really dont see a point in adding a pause at all but I dont really care if they do put something in like taking a 5 minute break every few hours. But like I said you could just make a crawler. Its not that hard, and it can last you more than 5 minute if you need more than that.

Taking a bit of inspiration from FIFA online matches here, but anyway:

How about you are only allowed a maximum of three pauses during one match, and each pause is only for a maximum of 15 minutes.

This would only be available in private matches and would be initiated by the host. The game would then only restart after 15 minutes or when all players are ready.

PS: Whoever mentioned the custom settings in Private Matches (a la Halo custom games/WaW death cards), awesome idea. Would have to make it so it doesn't go on leaderboards and all EEs or Achievements are automatically disabled for that match.