Diary of the Damned: The First Plagues

Journal of - William DeWitt

March 12th, 2012 - 11:02 AM

It's been almost two weeks since patient zero became infected with a mutant strain of the flu virus that seemed to make the dead walk over in Tokyo. I've decided The radio broadcasts from Tampa earlier today said the cause of the viral mutation was a direct effect from the nuclear disaster in Japan last year. I will be keeping this journal to chronicle this obviously unstoppable pandemic as it unfolds.

March 18th, 2012 - 12:38 PM

Grave news has come in over the radio, Washington DC has been completely overrun, and most of the northern major cities are in total chaos. Nothing here so far, fortunately. Although, some of my neighbors are acting strangely, and my roommate and best friend Mark is on bedrest from his fever. I'm almost finished fixing my car, so i'll be fine if the infection does spread this far. No new information on the disease has been released yet.

March 21st, 2012 - 1:45 PM

The infection has hit home, the city of Venice, just a few miles north of me has been completely overrun and North Port is total chaos. I watched Mark bite a chunk out of his own mother's neck and.... god this is straight out of a nightmare... I barely managed to escape from a small group of them out of pure luck that my car started first try. I'm currently holed up with 6 other people in a pawn shop in Venice, plenty of weapons and ammunition to last us a while. Those things don't know we're here yet thankfully. I'm suspicious of one of these people, he seems a bit at-ease considering the world has gone to shit. Radio communications are still up fortunately. There's a refugee camp in Gainesville that the radio operators say is safe and secure, not like we have a chance of getting that far...

April 2nd, 2012 - 6:30 AM

We've had a while to get to know each other... most of us.... that guy.... "Stanley" as he calls himself.... he doesnt want to talk much at all. he's still a bit calm for my liking. Julie and Mike, they're your average newlywed couple from Massachusetts. they were on their way to Miami when the infection hit, their plane landed in Tampa when it all fell apart up north. their car ran out of gas in front of the nearby Lowe's store and they ended up here. Samantha and Alexis are identical twin sisters, whom lived down the street from me, which i didn't know. And Fred is a crabby old man who only cares for himself, typical self-centered 80 year old racist.

Hopefully we can help each other survive long enough to figure something out.

April 7th, 2012 - 4:30 PM

We've collectively come up with a name for the infected. "Reaps". Next thing we need to do is try to make a break for the bus parked out front and hotwire it. there aren't many Reaps out there right now, but if we blow our cover, we're fucked.

we only have one chance at this. we'll try tomorrow.

April 8th, 2012 - 2:13 PM

We lost Alexis and Fred today in our escape. we managed to get in the charter bus, but they were surrounded before we could do anything to save them. i blame myself for asking them to carry the extra ammo supplies. IT'S ALL MY FAULT! I SHOULD HAVE CARRIED IT MYSELF!

April 13th, 2012 - 5:30 PM

we arrived in Gainesville today to a very unexpected sight, the whole city was in ruins. Reaps everywhere. but we encountered something new.... something worse than the Reaps.... it was some sort of mutated Reap, with blade-like arms made of what looked like bone, and its whole face was basically just a mouth with razor sharp teeth jutting out. it emitted an ear-shattering scream that makes your head feel like it's about to explode. and it's fast... very fast... Samantha managed to incapacitate one of them when she shot it in the legs with her shotgun. after closer examination, it looks as if it hunts by smell, as it has no ears or eyes. only two small holes above the mouth. we decided to call this new... thing... a Screamer.

April 14th, 2012 - 1:02 PM

I've made a strange discovery today when we stopped in St. Augustine, i witnessed a Reap stumbling around and taking pictures with a disposable camera, as if it were a tourist or something. Stanley had the nerve to shoot it while i was trying to see what exactly it was doing though unfortunately, stupid redneck bastard. it seems when they're not trying to eat the flesh of the living, they act as if they remember what their lives once were. very strange, i know, but it could become useful if we can try and domesticate one to see how they tick.

May 9th 2012

Reaps are no longer the main concern here, massive black clouds blotted out the sun about a week ago and still show no signs of clearing up. the temperature is dropping and we're keeping warm in an abandoned prison in Alabama by burning prison records. it's a secure location against Reaps due to the heavy locked gates, but there's no telling how long it'll stay safe against the Screamers, they are smart little fuckers, they learn.

May 10th 2012

This is just fan-fucking-tastic, now we're dealing with undead fucking dogs! this is just fucking great! Stanley was almost bitten--- luckily the body armor he found in the prison was torn away instead of a piece of his flesh. the time we've spent in this hellish reality is starting to take it's toll on us, even i am feeling a bit nervous, and beginning to question my own sanity.

May 20th 2012

It's been ten days since i've been able to write anything, we've been moving north on foot in this cold dark weather for a while now. we're currently taking refuge in a hotel building not far from the outskirts of Washington DC. if we can make it to the White House, we can probably use the bunkers under the building to rest awhile. There's a heavy military APC across the street that we've gathered fuel for, we can travel in that tomorrow morning.

May 21st 2012

Stanley is injured, he was bitten on the arm before we could shut the door to the bunker. I didn't like him that much before, but i respect his bravery. i've never seen a man who stares death in the face with a solid demeanor such as his. We cut his arm off in an attempt to save his life and cauterized the stump with a blowtorch that we found in the APC we used to get here. I don't know if he's safe from infection or not, but hopefully he'll live.

May 23rd 2012

Stanley's not infected, we took his arm off in time to keep it from spreading. But something strange happened, his arm began moving on it's own-- the one we cut off-- it choked me but i managed to get it off and crush it between the doors to the storeroom. it's still flinching around but it's not going to hurt anybody. i'm going to keep it to see if we can understand more about this plague by examining it later.

To Be Continued in the Next edition: "The Diary of the Damned: The Evolving Dead"

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

This is a great scean by scean account, and although there isn't much detail it works. I'm really looking foward to reading the rest.

I did however find that there wasn't much developing the characters, this could have been for the lack of detail in the events.

I still think it is a really great story and shall be watching for the next

-Flareon

• 1 month later...