Your Style of Dodging

Everyone has a different style of play, right down to how they dodge the incoming zombies. What's the way you prefer to dodge zombies, and your signature dodging move, if you have one?

I personally have a move that helps me out tremendously. It involves a quick cut back, a simple drag out, and then sprinting, while screen shaking, followed by a counter clockwise rotation of the right analog stick, followed by a sharp downward movement of the analog stick. The last part isn't necessary, but it makes the dodge look smoother and in some cases can avoid the occasional hit.

For getting through a gap, I try to only get through the gaps where I know I have room to sprint jump (NML excluded), so I usually do that, screen shake and then move forward or cut back, depending on what the situation requires.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For getting through tight spaces, I normally just mash my controller and some sort of screenshake happens. It is brute, but hey, it works.

This is usually an "OH SHIT!" reaction though. When I am calm and collected, my dodges usually consist of turning away from the zombie until it starts its hitting animation. Then I do one big shake and I get through every time. Works like a charm. 8-)

I don't really have a secret move though. Lots and lots of cutbacks (I'm a big believer in cutbacks. I'd much rather do a cutback than screenshake through a gap) as well as sprint-jumps. I really, really like those. :D

For getting through tight spaces, I normally just mash my controller and some sort of screenshake happens. It is brute, but hey, it works.

This is usually an "OH SHIT!" reaction though. When I am calm and collected, by dodges usually consist of turning away from the zombie until it starts its hitting animation. Then I do one big shake and I get through every time. Works like a charm. 8-)

I don't really have a secret move though. Lots and lots of cutbacks (I'm a big believer in cutbacks. I'd much rather do a cutback than screenshake through a gap) as well as sprint-jumps. I really, really like those. :D

Exactly what I do. :D

I don't know really, Id say it's pretty hard to quantify what I do as its entirely situational.

The main thing I do, and it's now become instinctive, is using the programmed AI against the zombies.

Someone watching my NML the other day said something about brushing past the dogs.....its basically this. Screen shaking has many forms, from the subtle to the mashing. Maybe I will try and do a video on it :)

Pretty much what Chopper said about using knowledge of the AI to manipulate the zombies' paths. Hanging a left before running off to the right (AKA juking) is a tactic I employ very often. Also anyone who watches my NML vids knows I'm a huge fan of the sprint-jump and it's something I've pretty much perfected, if you time it right you can avoid several hits, and you seem to get squeezed out of tight gaps.

Also a specialty of mine is the '3 cutbacks and a drag when trapped in a small area' thing. The amount of times I've had someone watching me when I've somehow been forced to go into a really tight dead end, like the PaP room doorway on FIVE or the tight back corner on No Man's Land. A bunch of zombies coming at me with seemingly nowhere to go. "You're f***ed" the spectator (normally a friend or sibling) would say. 3 very sharp cutbacks and a little drag out and I've formed a tight group out of all of those zombies blocking my way, the coast is clear and I make it out barely taking a hit, leaving the spectator in shock.

I don't know really, Id say it's pretty hard to quantify what I do as its entirely situational.

^This.

Personally I love fishtailing. Its like screen shaking, except with MASSIVE left and right turns to the point where your facing and moving sideways most of the time. Instead of wiggling my way through a horde, id rather twirl like a ballerina :D

My 'Stottinmad Strategem' as I call it, involves creating gaps in the horde, and using them to worm my way through, if theres no room, I simply turn and run the other way. In most cases, only one zombies attempts to cut me off, so removing it is easy.

My one speciality that has only failed me a few times, is Wallhugging. It works on Der Riese. I literally, 'hug' the walls. It worked on WaW Der Riese, there was a hug horde, coming across the thompson bridge, and heading into the type100 room, so I ran beside the wall, practically touching it, and didn't get hit. Although if, I'm red, I tend to just run for my life, I'm lucky to say the least.

I do everything possible, for getting through small gaps I just screen shake and somtimes knife while screen shaking. I will also jump and screen shake and that will sometimes make it so you dont get hit at all. I normally just make a cutback instead of trying to make it through something that looks impossible to do. It all depends on the map really though, on cotd and ascension I just make alot of cutbacks but some maps require more dodging.