Date of Black Ops II Zombies setting found? *MUST READ*

What's up Zombie Slayers, this is DarkJolteon here coming out with a theory, and possible proof, of the date of the first Zombies map of Black Ops II. I have devised this theory using the teaser image released by Treyarch, and a little bit of own knowledge. So sit back, relax, and prepare for a thread of pure electricity 8-)

(NOTE: If this thread sucks, forget I said that last part :lol: )

So here is the image in question:

Now, the main thing I have seen everyone focusing on is the identity of the girl in the image. However, since this can only be speculation until we see a trailer or until the game is actually released, I decided to ignore her for the time being.

So, what DID I focus on? Well, as a shooter game, I focused on the most important thing. The gun.

I think we can all agree that the gun is in fact some sort of shotgun; Treyarchs Tweet pretty much confirming it:

Zombies are coming…... Where’s your shotgun? #BlackOps2 http://pic.twitter.com/xTQYgW2K

The big question however, was what actually IS the shotgun?

Now, I have put in a bit of time, researching and investigating and all that good stuff, and I have come to a fairly strong belief that the gun in question is in fact a Winchester 101.

Here is an image:

As you can probably see, there are some VERY similar characteristics to each gun, and that they both have very similar complexions. The barrel is all but identical, the butt of the gun is the same, and just in general, they look like the exact same gun. Well, at least they do to me.

So what does this tell us?

Okay, so knowing the identity of the gun is a bit of useless information that doesn't really have any relevance except for telling us that the Winchester 101 will be in Zombies, right?

Wrong. Knowing the identity of the gun gives us one of the most important pieces of information possible. A timeframe.

To get an accurate timeframe just from the identity of the gun, you need to know quite a lot about it, or at least its history. Luckily for you guys, I do ;)

Winchester Model 101 Serialization

12 Gauge

Serial Number Range

Year of Manufacture

50,000 - 50,499

50,500 - 51,999

52,000 - 52,499

52,500 - 55,999

56,000 - 63,499

63,500 - 75,499

75,500 - 91,499

91,500 - 102,999

103,000 - 110,499

110,500 - 117,999

118,000 - 129,499

129,500 - 140,499

140,500 and Up

[The Winchester Model 101 12 gauge was manufactured after 1971, but no serialization records currently exist.]

20 Gauge, 28 Gauge, & .410 Bore

Serial Number Range

Year of Manufacture

200,000 - 208,999

209,000 - 210,999

211,000 - 214,999

215.000 - 220,499

220,500 - 228,499

228,500 and Up

[The Winchester Model 101 20, 28 gauge and the .410 bore were manufactured after 1971, but no serialization records currently exist.]

Note: The 28 gauge and .410 bore were first introduced in 1968.

So there's your history on the gun, and as you probably worked out, there is your timeframe for Zombies.

From this I would suggest that the Zombies storyline will be a DIRECT sequal to Black Ops, and we will most likely see a direct continuation from the end of Moon onto the next map. This also gives a huge possibility of our favourite heroes making a return in Black Ops II!

How are they going do a direct continuation with the Campaign being set in 2025? Well this is simple. Not all of the campaign is going to be set in 2025. It has been confirmed by Treyarch that one third of the campaign WILL be played back in the good ol' times of Black Ops! You know what that means? Zombies will have guns from that part of the campaign, not the future, and we will most likely get to see some of our favourite Black Ops weapons once again!

That's all I got for now, I thank you all for reading! Please feel free to leave your feedback below, and I welcome all criticism and constructive advice openly, so don't hold back ;)

I've been DarkJolteon, and I'll see you all soon ;)

-Jolteon

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very good theory, I think you're on to something with this. If the zombies mode was indeed set in 2025, why would they be using an outdated weapon? However, could it not be that Treyarch were simply using a stereotypical model of weapon in the poster to hint towards zombies as many people would quickly associate the gun with a double barreled shotgun and imagine zombies. For this reason it might be possible that Treyarch did not put much thought into the model of gun used and simply used it to match the overall zombies theme rather than the date.

Also, if you consider that Mark Lamia has suggested a massive innovation for the zombies game-mode, I for one would hate for them to re-use the older weaponry. For me it would feel just like a zombie DLC for the old black ops rather than a new game entirely.

Nevertheless, I really strong theory and if you're right it sets a nice time-frame for the zombies to be set in. Good job! [brains]

A very good theory, I think you're on to something with this. If the zombies mode was indeed set in 2025, why would they be using an outdated weapon? However, could it not be that Treyarch were simply using a stereotypical model of weapon in the poster to hint towards zombies as many people would quickly associate the gun with a double barreled shotgun and imagine zombies. For this reason it might be possible that Treyarch did not put much thought into the model of gun used and simply used it to match the overall zombies theme rather than the date.

Also, if you consider that Mark Lamia has suggested a massive innovation for the zombies game-mode, I for one would hate for them to re-use the older weaponry. For me it would feel just like a zombie DLC for the old black ops rather than a new game entirely.

Nevertheless, I really strong theory and if you're right it sets a nice time-frame for the zombies to be set in. Good job! [brains]

Thanks for the feedback!

To answer your queries, I still firmly believe that they used the Wincheter for a reason. The model in question has never been used in a Call of Duty game previously, and so it would be plain rediculous for Treyarch to use in an advertisement for one of the most anticipated games of the year.

Also, you are correct. Lamia HAS hinted at a lot of new things. I have another thread in the works about the new innovations to Zombes, but I guess I'll post a snippet here:

I think that the actual story side of Zombies will still follow directly from Moon, with a Cold War Timeframe, and Cold War weapons. However, with Mark Lamia hinting at Zombies being its own Gamemode, with new innovations and epic new gametypes, I also believe that we will be seeing some sort of future based zombies that will have no relevance to the storyline we saw in WaW and BO.

-Jolteon

I dunno how I feel about bringing Zombies into the future. While it would be great to see some innovation and a change of scenery and theming, it might not feel like the zombies we know and love anymore. That's something Treyarch probably thought about, so it is perfectly plausible to be staying in the Black Ops time-frame. Although Fenix's post is to be considered too. I know Treyarch's Zombies team are sticklers for detail, and almost every decision is thought through and planned out impeccably, but they might have just put an old timey shotgun in to add to the zombies feel, but it doesn't evade me that if it were going to be set in the future, they'd have put a futuristic shotgun in there. Nice theory anyways Jolteon, you never fail to impress

Treyarch never said that a third of the game would be in Black Ops time. There will be two to three missions in the 80s. But that's it.

No, they have officially announced 1/3 to be Cold War era.

Correct sir!

Besides, that's not the important part of the thread. The important part is that we have a Timeframe, and so have a basis for all future theories to go from.

-Jolteon

I am not sure I buy into the time frame on the shotgun. Shotguns are a classic zombie weapon. I am not sure we can call it a specific shotgun. It is a drawing and it basically looks like a shotgun.

As for the direct sequel to the moon, maybe. After all the burned out city scape could be a post rocket attack from the moon world.

There are a couple of things I did take from the poster. The zombie head looks a little more evil, kind of whatever... and the female character does not resemble buffy. So I think it might be safe to say there is a new female player character.

Now if we take what Lamia said about being expansive they may have created whole new world or post apocalyptic world with some different characters. Also that chick looks a little more serious than our wise cracking heroes. Which by the way would be ok I guess considering IMO the zombies have lost a little of the creep factor from game to game.

On a side note the girl in the post looks like Hilary Swank to me

They've already confirmed that Zombies has its own storyline, a separate game and timeframe from the campaign. They're two entirely different things, two entirely different universes. So it would only make sense that Treyarch picks up where Black Ops left off—in a postapocalyptic nightmare (hence the ruined city in the foreground) that is ravished my zombies. While I'm pretty sure Moon was set in the present, we'll just have to wait and see what weapons and surprises Treyarch has in store for us.

Hoping for a Kino-esque trailer during CoD XP. That would really get us going. :D

They've already confirmed that Zombies has its own storyline, a separate game and timeframe from the campaign. They're two entirely different things, two entirely different universes. So it would only make sense that Treyarch picks up where Black Ops left off—in a postapocalyptic nightmare (hence the ruined city in the foreground) that is ravished my zombies. While I'm pretty sure Moon was set in the present, we'll just have to wait and see what weapons and surprises Treyarch has in store for us.

Hoping for a Kino-esque trailer during CoD XP. That would really get us going. :D

Listen to this guy. He knows what he's talking about. :lol:

-Jolteon

Zombies is going to to be based on the multiplayer engine this time instead of campaign. this is so they can cope with the 8 players,which in turn (i presume) means they will be using multiplayer maps. multiplayer maps are all going to be from 2025,unlike the campaign which will have flashback sections. hope this helps somehow

OH MY GOD YES!!! THEY TOTALLY NEED TO MAKE TRAILERS IN THE STYLE OF THE OLD WORLD AT WAR STYLE! Remember those days? Those were some good days. And the trailers scared you shitless. :lol:

Zombies is going to to be based on the multiplayer engine this time instead of campaign. this is so they can cope with the 8 players,which in turn (i presume) means they will be using multiplayer maps. multiplayer maps are all going to be from 2025,unlike the campaign which will have flashback sections. hope this helps somehow

I hear rumors of 8 person zombies but is there some confirmation of this?

I hear rumors of 8 person zombies but is there some confirmation of this?

8 player zombies is all but confirmed. Treyarch have hinted at it frequently, and they most definately have the capabilities to do it. I think we will see futuristic 8 player zombies, and have the classic four player zombies for the time period suggested above.

-Jolteon

My new video explaining all of the collective information in a short 5 minute video. Take a look, and tell me what you think!

-Oha2xUpQZ0

-Jolteon

You made me feel sad when you said people were focusing to much on the girl in the poster (two of my 3 topics here), but I love your theory and I agree that full-heartily, 1971 sounds like a reasonable date for a direct continuation from BOs zombies. You need [brains]

Good Theory Jolteon.

Although I'm not so sure the gun is an indicator of the time frame always seeing as every Call of Duty has had a gun that you could use that wasn't necessarily popular during it's time-frame.

But suppose it was used around manufacturing date, late 60's-early 70's maybe. But nice observation, not much to go off of right now so we have to theorize from the little things.

Although I will say, some arsehole linked me to a picture I didn't see labeled as a spoiler and I saw the full frame of the scene from which this picture is taken from. It does give spoilers and a little bit of an indication of what the scene and timeframe is, but nothing officialy released by Treyarch should be here on CoDz and I'm doing my best to avoid spoiler from here on out. Unless the picture was a fake, if it was it's a damn good one.

Anyway, keep up the research guys this model is available in 12 gauge right now for a nice $940 from Cabela's so who knows what kind of time frame we will have weapon-wise for zombies. I was going to make a thread about what I wanted to see in a zombies game next, but I feel that just clutters the forums, maybe we should get a sticky about what we want to see in Black Ops II Zombies gameplay and mode-wise.

Treyarch never said that a third of the game would be in Black Ops time. There will be two to three missions in the 80s. But that's it.

I'm in my phone so I can't really pu up a link, but Lamia did say in an interview that you can find in YouTube (the 30 minute one) that 1/3 of it will be in past- just to reassure you they're not making it up.