PS3 and XBOX 360 Equality

As I'm sure a lot of us know, the XBOX 360 users get the maps and DLC a month before the PS3 users. This is because of a contract between Activision and Microsoft. I've read through a lot of sources that the contract ended this year, and that Activision is NOT going to renew it. So now, we would get the maps at the same time, and only the Elite subscribers would get them early. As a PS3 player, I'm thrilled. What do you guys think?

This video got me thinking again about the topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n73DyQMl ... ature=plcp

This video is not mine!!! It is Whiteboy7thst's.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an interesting topic. Honestly, I'm going to ignore when what console is getting it because I have no idea about the contract ending or being renewed and I'm 360 so it wouldn't matter for me. But this is what I wonder.

The structure of the MW3 map releases has been 2 maps, 1 map, 1 map and 2 spec ops, 2 maps, then we have 4 maps for May. That's to this point. If you look on the calender, the patterns continues a bit. What concerns me is this.

In Black Ops, the first map pack was released at the end of January. I believe it was either January 30th or 31st. Maybe February 1st. Oh well. But with how Elite is working, I don't think the zombies team would want to release their map in January with the first content drop. They would rather wait and make that the last drop so it's closer for non premiums to receive and help with a possible easter egg. In other words, instead of getting our zombie map in late January/early February, we will be receiving our map mid March.

Now personally I think zombies should be one of the first maps in a content drop each map pack. That is a huge incentive for some to sign up for Elite and gives those of us who are premium an actual advantage.

What do y'all think?

We also don't know how Treyarch is integrating Elite with BO2. Maybe instead of drops every month, they will keep the map pack style (I don't know why they would do this, I'm just saying). I see what you are saying with keeping zombies as one of the last content drops. Treyarch loves to keep us (the hardcore zombie fans) in suspense for what's next (heck, look at the result of the EE on Moon).

Oh boy, I REALLY hope this is true.

This could mean one less argue for why "Xbox is better"...

Thus meaning more equality, like you stated.

But alas, I predict that as long as there is two consoles, there will NEVER be equality...

That's why the PC master race is getting more popular. :lol:

But alas, I predict that as long as there is two consoles, there will NEVER be equality...

You called it. It used to be that the PC was only good for MMORPG's (WoW/Runsecape). Fine, most games, like the Diablo series, thrive on the PC not purely because of their story, but their genre. Now, Fps fans are drawn to the light of PC gaming from the Battlefield and Cod series.

PC will remain out front for many years. The reason? PC's don't have a 10 year life cycle that systems like the PS3 are expected to have. They will always be the first system to step into the next generation of gaming.

You called it. It used to be that the PC was only good for MMORPG's (WoW/Runsecape). Fine, most games, like the Diablo series, thrive on the PC not purely because of their story, but their genre. Now, Fps fans are drawn to the light of PC gaming from the Battlefield and Cod series.

PC will remain out front for many years. The reason? PC's don't have a 10 year life cycle that systems like the PS3 are expected to have. They will always be the first system to step into the next generation of gaming.

and to be quite honest, I like this.

I'm glad that they won't renew. We pay for Xbox Live and they still charge us extra on the map packs just because we get it early.
It's more on Xbox? Hmmm... interesting.

Yeah 1200 MP ($15) For Black Ops map packs

It was the same on PS3.

Oh boy, I REALLY hope this is true.

This could mean one less argue for why "Xbox is better"...

Thus meaning more equality, like you stated.

Well... actually the Pc mw3 crowd are still yet to recieve any dlc or elite, and because of this the community is shrinking. Cod is starting to be aimed more at ps3 and xbox these days. The only way its ever going to have partial equality (would never be total equality because elite is not free) is if elite is offered to all platforms, with dlc release dates that coincide with each other.

I thought they went for $10 on PS3

Nope, payed $15 every time.

This, is true.

$15 dollars... A rip-off.

Anywoot, back on topic...

Well... actually the Pc mw3 crowd are still yet to recieve any dlc or elite, and because of this the community is shrinking. Cod is starting to be aimed more at ps3 and xbox these days. The only way its ever going to have partial equality (would never be total equality because elite is not free) is if elite is offered to all platforms, with dlc release dates that coincide with each other.

But who needs official servers/maps when you can just make your own, aye?

I thought they went for $10 on PS3

Nope, payed $15 every time.

This, is true.

$15 dollars... A rip-off.

Anywoot, back on topic...

But who needs official servers/maps when you can just make your own, aye?

It's not much of a rip off when you and a friend buy every other one and friend share them to each other.

I know for a fact that the DLC Contract with Microsoft does end this year, so MW3 will be the last game under this contract. I haven't seen any evidence that they're going to renew the contract, or that they're not. I don't think they will announce that they have or haven't, until the old one is up and they sign for or new one, or don't.

Personally, I'm fine paying £9.99 each time for a map pack. I really like the Elite way of doing things. Instead of 5 maps every 3 months, we get the equivalent of 2 maps every 1 month. Whets our whistle a bit more. The problem comes when you have, 360 Elite getting stuff, then PS3 Elite, then 360 regular, then ps3 regular, then PC. And then it goes round again... By the time the final DLC for MW3 is released on PC, Black Ops II will be months into it's life cycle! 360 one month, then everyone else the next, that I could live with. It was bloody annoying, but I could live with it. But the spacing of the releases here has been awfully planned out. I know it's not IW or 3arc's fault, it's Activision's. You could see every time 402 was asked about DLC releases that he was embarrassed about the answers he had to give, and it pained me to watch that man have to give an answer he didn't want to give to so many questions about MW3.

If Acitivision care about the future of the Call of Duty franchise, and the community, it will make sure the DLC for BOII is release at the same time, for the same price, for everybody. PS3,PC,360,Wii... Different consoles don't mean full equality, but surely they have to strive to get as much as they can.

There's still a big chance that it could be renewed and that it will be announced at E3 2012. The only argument people are giving to the contract not being renewed is that there was no Xbox 360 advertisement at the end of the Black Ops 2 reveal trailer.

Buuut, there was no Xbox 360 advertisement at the end of the Modern Warfare 3 reveal trailer either, and that has Xbox 360 timed exclusive DLC.

CoD XP 2011's main sponsor was Microsoft. These conventions will cost a lot of money, I'm guessing Activision will probably be doing it again this year and Microsoft will no doubt give them money for it again.

I'm swaying towards it happening again, while it might not be the best thing for the fans, it gets Activision a lot more money because Microsoft will be paying a lot, so this will convince them to do it.

I'm expecting an announcement on June 4th

I know for a fact that the DLC Contract with Microsoft does end this year, so MW3 will be the last game under this contract. I haven't seen any evidence that they're going to renew the contract, or that they're not. I don't think they will announce that they have or haven't, until the old one is up and they sign for or new one, or don't.

Personally, I'm fine paying £9.99 each time for a map pack. I really like the Elite way of doing things. Instead of 5 maps every 3 months, we get the equivalent of 2 maps every 1 month. Whets our whistle a bit more. The problem comes when you have, 360 Elite getting stuff, then PS3 Elite, then 360 regular, then ps3 regular, then PC. And then it goes round again... By the time the final DLC for MW3 is released on PC, Black Ops II will be months into it's life cycle! 360 one month, then everyone else the next, that I could live with. It was bloody annoying, but I could live with it. But the spacing of the releases here has been awfully planned out. I know it's not IW or 3arc's fault, it's Activision's. You could see every time 402 was asked about DLC releases that he was embarrassed about the answers he had to give, and it pained me to watch that man have to give an answer he didn't want to give to so many questions about MW3.

If Acitivision care about the future of the Call of Duty franchise, and the community, it will make sure the DLC for BOII is release at the same time, for the same price, for everybody. PS3,PC,360,Wii... Different consoles don't mean full equality, but surely they have to strive to get as much as they can.

I was thinking that Elite should work like this: we get map packs every 3/4 months, but the Elite subscribers would get it a month or two/three weeks earlier. Elite right now is useless for the most part, and people only got it to have access to maps early.

Giving the XBOX 360 and PS3 guys (and girls) the maps at the same time is a marketing campaign. They know a lot (or a noticeable amount) of PS3 guys specifically dropping Cod as their main game. Why? They raged so hard at the fact that XBOX 360 was put first, they didn't want to play. I'm a PS3 guy, and I felt it was rewarding getting maps later (it showed our patience and brought out the best of us as fans).

• Moderators

Map packs are too expensive.

Elite is dumb.

Activision is bad.

I want BO2 zombies now.

These are my thoughts.

Read this in an robotic voice.

Because I feel like a robot right now. [brains]

If they're smart, they won't renew it, which will make this awesome game even more awesome. But knowing Activisiom, specifically how greedy they are, there is still a strong possibilty that they will renew it if Microsoft ponies up enough dough. I'm tired of seeing these stupid console wars. In my eyes, both consoles are equal. Sure each of them have their own advantages over the other, but they both do the same thing in the end, they let us play the video games we want to. That's all they are, a video game system.

• 3 weeks later...