Do you have a mentor?

It has been a busy week for me. Work load was heavy, wife's business needed assistance, and kids are always pain in the ass. Perfect time to reflect on our mentors.

We were all terrible at some point. We watched someone else play and improved our game. I still laugh at the days of buying Olympia by round two and happy to reach round 8. My son's friend pointed out this individual on YouTube called Xcalizorz who provided much improvement to his game. I watched his Five video and learned about the point system and head shots. His videos provided my first major growth in my game.

After being able to reach 30 solo on five, I started playing co-op and struggled. Slowly surrounded myself with better players as my co-op record improved. After hitting high twenties I plateaud. One day after bleeding out I spectated an individual known as JRealz on PS3. He had the least downs, most revives, and most kills despite looping in the basement. I learned much from spectating him in the coming weeks utilizing max spawn, dealing with poor box weapons, and much more. He was the second major step to my game.

After discovering CODZ I realized how small my world was. In random games I normally hold my own against top competition, but on this site I am by far one of the least established players. I follow a few members on this site for their work. I watched all their videos and read all their guides to find areas for improvement. I listen to their advice on my game and implement new techniques I long lacked. CODZ is my third major mentor.

Somewhere in the between I have played with many great individuals who taught me much with their play. Almost everyone on my PS3 list are people I gone thru many hard fought battles with. I might not run into them much anymore but everytime I see them I relive the moments we had.

Do you have a mentor that helped with your game? All three of my mentors helped indirectly, but without them I would have long given up. Who has mentored you?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mentors were DarkSunGaming and JamesZombiKiller, two of the best co-op players I know, with James holding a round 72 on Moon. He's very good, and I think that his mentorship is part of the reason why I am where I am today on CoDz.

Mentors are the people who help us grow, help us become who we are today in the community, and I think we could actually post the same topic for the Forum as a whole.

Who was your forum mentor?

I'll let you decide, Jay.

Ehj~

You would not believe, but the FIVE vid from Xcaliorz was also the video that taught me how to play. After that, I developped my own style and improved on my own.

dDGrtMCNuFw

For NML I have to mention Superhands Hybrid strategy.

mItDZRwxzNg

I don't have a mentor. Believe it or not I just taught myself. I in turn would teach my siblings, other family members, and friends. We started playing on Nacht, and I'd come up with various strategies that would either work well or fail miserably. Through trial and error, my records would go up, from Round 4 to the 20's. Every time a new map came out, I would then try that one. By now, I've seen other players play, but they didn't teach me a thing; I learned the game myself.

Well I went to my friends house a few years ago and he said have you ever play COD, I said No and he introduced me to in to playing WaW Nacht Der Untoten. We played zombies and got to about round 3 which I was happy my friend wasn't so happy. He taught me how to play with jumping every time I saw a zombie (this was the first 15 game i played everything looked so different).

Anyway i started to get into BO and watched strategy videos mainly from Sindicate Project and partly from Ali-A. These have helped me become a better player and am getting to higher rounds, although once i get to about 25 I start to become clumsy or I just don't have the time to.

I was always kind of good at zombies and could keep myself alive no matter what guns I had, but I never got far until I started playing two player games. First real try I had on zombies for a "High" round I got to 53 on ascension. After that I looked at the top of the leaderboards and saw some people had got to the 90s and thought there was no way that is possible because of how hard it was for us to get to 53 but I saw in someones bio it said cure4zombies.com so I went there and they had videos of people in the 90s. At that point I made it my goal to actually reach round 90+ sometime. And I did.

• 3 weeks later...

For me, RelaxingEnd was my first real mentor.

I used to be an average player, getting to the mid 20's and feeling accomplished. I didn't care about records or leaderboards, all I cared about was having fun. I never in my wildest dreams thought it was even possible to get past round 40 until moon came out.

Everybody in random lobbies were going crazy because there was a new solo leaderboards on it so I took a look at them. I saw the scores and thought to myself "I can do that." so I hopped my happy ass on over to solo and gave it a couple tries and after 30 games I went back to the leaderboards to find that I was rank 44 with a measly 37 kills out of all the people who had bought moon. I felt so proud, so happy. I wanted to go brag about it to everyone I met, but my rank started going down as other people got higher and higher kills. Soon I was rank 100, 200, 500. I had to question just how these people were getting so many kills, and that's when started looking for NML videos and stumbled into RelaxingEnd.

Watching the way he played the game AMAZED me and I thought to myself "....why can't I do that?" so I started analyzing his videos and trying to mimic the way he played. Soon enough I started to understand the way that the zombies moved, and all the different ways I could move around them. I started looking at the game from a strategical standpoint and wondered just how far I could take it. After a week of practice, I had gotten my score back into the top 100 and was satisfied with it for the time being, and that's when I wanted to start getting all of my scores that high. If I could do it on one board, why not all the others? I started looking all over the internet for strategies on all of the different maps, techniques, information on the different guns and perks and eventually ended up here on Codz.

I had stumbled onto The Master Strategy guide here and was amazed and overwhelmed with not only the content of the guide, but the people who had written it. So many awesome players coming together to write a whole world of information on the game.

That guide and this community are my second mentor. With the knowledge from these forums, I turned from a mid 20's player to a round 50 player, and I'm still getting better and better everyday.

Im mostly self taught, just mostly did the camping strat where you find a corner and hunker down. Then i got a little more advanced and started watching some Youtube Tutorials for training and more advanced strats. I guess i can say that youtube is my mentor

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Mentor... this is tough. I'll go back to the beginning.

The first four Zombies maps ever, Nacht der Untoten, Verruckt, Shi No Numa, and Der Riese, I taught myself. That isn't saying much since the latter 3 of 4 are under round 10. Nacht der Untoten however, is at around 19 I think. I just tried different things to see what would work.

Then Black Ops came along, with all new maps. Dead Ops Arcade was one I never had a mentor on, but all the rest I did. When Kino was being played, I'd go to help from my friend down the street. From here out, it became pretty singled down to one man, MrRoflWaffles.

When FIVE came out, I played with him and he showed me some fun glitches and ideas to mess around with. Then Ascension came out and he directed me to a video by Syndicate, who I had never heard of at the time. That got me to where I am today on Ascension, but I can't stand playing that map anymore because I know I'll survive for quite a while. Then when Call of the Dead came out, I saw Waffles' video on training by the lighthouse, and that helped me immensely. I was lucky enough to get in a game with him later on and we performed the Easter Egg, and I was lucky enough to know how to play the map because of that guide he had. His cooperation with the EE got me over 1k subs in under a month too, so I have to give him thanks for that one.

As for Shangri-La, I have tried to teach myself but it hasn't gone so well. Same for Moon, I've played that map a collective 3 times maybe because I get so frustrated with it. Right now, I am trying to get the help of Ehjookayted and have him be my mentor so I can have enough skill to play on maps for a decent amount of time. When I play on maps, often it is because I am looking for storyline clues, and I can't look around an entire map if I am always dieing in the first 10 rounds, so I am hoping to get much better at gameplay and zombies, hopefully with help from Eye and anyone else who is willing to help.