FAST High Round Ascension Trap Strategy

Hey everyone, perfectlemonade here bringing you a strategy that is, what I believe, to be the fastest way to use the two traps on Ascension.

So here’s the basic strategy:

Take your horde through the PaP trap. They will all die, and you will do some light kiting in the PaP area until the trap recharges. After that, you'll want to sprint back up to the trap and hit it again the second you get up there. You'll also want to stand as close to the trap as you can get to lure the zombies to spawn in closer to you, rather than out towards the MP5K (I'll be getting into this later). You will then want to start walking at a calm pace towards the MP5K. Once you get to the doorway, make a sharp left. 5/6 times, the path is clear, but if it is not, dash up to the PhD lander to regroup (this is the only chokepoint I have encountered whilst using this strategy). If the path is clear, continue to the turret, using up all the surface area you possibly can to avoid the zombies still being killed by the trap to spawn in front of you. Once you get past the spawn window, you're home free. Slowly proceed to the 74u, do a loop or two around the swamp to get the stragglers, point whore if you wish, hit the trap, sprint back to the Pap trap, hit that trap, and repeat.

It’s a little hard to explain in words, so I asked world-record holder Superhands to do a demonstration for us. Thank you so much for doing this, Superhands! It means a lot!

0HXqdUMwA80

This video has his own little twist on it, but it is the same strategy at heart. You can see basically how the entire thing works, and how to control the fast spawns past round 50.

It’s not the spawn or something crazy fast like that, but you can clear out the waves faster than the conventional ways of trapping on Ascension.

Well, that’s about it. If anyone finds in improvements to the strategy, please say so and I’ll add them! Thanks!

-perfect

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a very nicely worked out strategy :D

As shown in the video, if you run the hoard from the MP5 side to the PaP side as you use the trap for the second time rather than from PaP side to MP5 side, you'll be on the PaP side of the trap when the next group are spawning, which will trigger much nicer spawns than starting on the MP5k side of the trap due to spawn zones.

Spawning in most cases tends to work like, zombies will only spawn in the room/area on either side of the room/area the player is in (as well as the area itself), the threshhold of areas most commonly determined by where doors/debris once were. So doing it like this, none will initiallyspawn in the MP5k area. You'll also trigger a lot more spawns from the PaP/box area, which means more zombies running through the trap after you for better trap effectiveness ;)

I also prefer to leave my point-whoring to when I'm waiting for the PaP trap to recharge, works out very nicely as it gives me plenty of time to use all of the ammo so I can top it up when going back to the AK trap.

if someone wanted another fast trap strategy, they could try out something i thought of recently... it involves having both doors by jug opened, so it may be a turn off for some though:

- start in spawn, get a full 24 together

- sprint to the staminup trap and activate. when the group is going through the trap, be sure that you are in the small room between the staminup zone and the lander zone. (this is right past the 1250 door)

- when the group gathered from spawn goes through the trap, wait for the wave to spawn and run back through the trap. this will kill a full 24 zombies due to the zone mechanics.

- group up another 24 in the spawn area (or if you're comfortable with it, the mpl room), and run to the other trap/activate.

- after activating, run to the area that the rocket would normally be and wait for the group to come through. after letting some spawn, you can run back up to where the trap is and kill another group of 24.

- go through the jug room to spawn and repeat the process

hope someone finds this useful, i believe it's faster than what super has done here...

(i could be wrong about that though :P)

if someone wanted another fast trap strategy, they could try out something i thought of recently... it involves having both doors by jug opened, so it may be a turn off for some though:

I've recently been above 70 on Ascension.....most of the monkey rounds I pretty much gave up Juggs as it's infinitely less important than QR. It's not that hard to run away from a group of monkeys and lead them through a trap.

Listen to pish on this point.

I still think that the ultimate trap map is SNN if it can be worked out well enough.

- start in spawn, get a full 24 together

- sprint to the staminup trap and activate. when the group is going through the trap, be sure that you are in the small room between the staminup zone and the lander zone. (this is right past the 1250 door)

- when the group gathered from spawn goes through the trap, wait for the wave to spawn and run back through the trap. this will kill a full 24 zombies due to the zone mechanics.

- group up another 24 in the spawn area (or if you're comfortable with it, the mpl room), and run to the other trap/activate.

- after activating, run to the area that the rocket would normally be and wait for the group to come through. after letting some spawn, you can run back up to where the trap is and kill another group of 24.

- go through the jug room to spawn and repeat the process

hope someone finds this useful, i believe it's faster than what super has done here...

(i could be wrong about that though :P)

Hmm this is quite creative. But I feel like this is basically the same idea, just a different route.

Ascension isn't the best trap map, no doubt, but doing this spawn control method, however you feel you can do it, is definitely the way to go for getting through those brutal high rounds. :)

I agree with Chopper, though. The Flogger is so OP it makes high rounds on SNN a breeze. ;)

I still think that the ultimate trap map is SNN if it can be worked out well enough.

i've been able to safely get two groups per flogger hit, but that's it. shi no's slower than verruckt using the "flogger -> comm -> flogger" strategy :(

This is a good and safe strategy but really isnt that fast. The fastest way to run traps would be to go through the one near pap and go wait down by pap until all the zombies die then run back through to get two hordes killed, then go to ak74u and go through the trap and wait by the claymores until they all die then run back through and get another horde killed. After that rebuild the window by the trap and just wait there for probably about 10 seconds then run back to mp5k trap and repeat.

• 1 month later...

I've figured out a way to get a 115% safe 2-for-1 on the Stamin Up trap. It involves collecting zombies in the spawn, going up the long way through Jug to the 74u area, calling the lander, running back to the Stamin Up trap, and hitting the trap. After that, you will want to run to the lander and take the lander back to the spawn. The zombies will follow you and they will be killed by the trap.

Still working on a way to get a similar method to work for the MP5K trap and the sickle lander. More info to come... this is a pretty huge improvement, I'd say. ;)

I've figured out a way to get a 115% safe 2-for-1 on the Stamin Up trap. It involves collecting zombies in the spawn, going up the long way through Jug to the 74u area, calling the lander, running back to the Stamin Up trap, and hitting the trap. After that, you will want to run to the lander and take the lander back to the spawn. The zombies will follow you and they will be killed by the trap.

Still working on a way to get a similar method to work for the MP5K trap and the sickle lander. More info to come... this is a pretty huge improvement, I'd say. ;)

Thats the smartest strategy since trains began, brains to you good sir.

Thanks man! I think something similar could also work for Kino or Der Riese with the teleporters. :D

Thanks man! I think something similar could also work for Kino or Der Riese with the teleporters. :D

Hmmm, Maybe turn on the trap between spawn and the stage, run to the teleporter, teleport to spawn to wipe out the following zombies, then go via the dressing room and turn on that trap.....?

Yeah there's a definite trap-spam method for Der Riese I think, I was thinking labs trap, across the bridge, Thompson trap, power room trap, teleport, repeat. Needs to be tested, I'll get on that at some point ;)

As for Kino, this is hands down the best trap strategy there is I think:

Looks safe and round 60 done in 7 and a half minutes would equate to about 30 seconds per spawn if using a Thundergun strategy, which is pretty fast. You can also use the window-watching time in the MPL room to spray the zombies in the window with the MPL to make some points back.

when the group gathered from spawn goes through the trap, wait for the wave to spawn and run back through the trap. this will kill a full 24 zombies due to the zone mechanics.

Pish, you must do a thread about zone mechanics, lots of users here are unaware of this. This is very useful knowledge and must be added in rMZG. Probably one of the most important things to know if you are doing entire map loops. Specially prior to full speed spawns.

I was planning on making a thread about zone mechanics way, it's something I almost always implement into my strategies ane is a must-know for any budding strategists out there.

Basics of zone mechanics/spawn control:

Zones are commonly marked by where doors/debris once where.

Zombies will only spawn in the zone you're in and the zones on both sides of it.

In rare cases, no spawns will ever be triggered in one of these adjascent zones, e.g. being in the bottom of the labs on Moon will trigger no spawns in the power switch area.

There was some speculation that standing in certain sides of a room will change the balance of the amount of spawns in each window, but this is untrue. The amount of zombies that appear in each window is always randomised.

I was planning on making a thread about zone mechanics way, it's something I almost always implement into my strategies ane is a must-know for any budding strategists out there.

Basics of zone mechanics/spawn control:

Zones are commonly marked by where doors/debris once where.

Zombies will only spawn in the zone you're in and the zones on both sides of it.

In rare cases, no spawns will ever be triggered in one of these adjascent zones, e.g. being in the bottom of the labs on Moon will trigger no spawns in the power switch area.

There was some speculation that standing in certain sides of a room will change the balance of the amount of spawns in each window, but this is untrue. The amount of zombies that appear in each window is always randomised.

Awesome job Super. Exactly what I wanted. May be you can create a thread with some of the neat diagrams and examples for these.