Image for the 29th solved?

Best guess I have so far is that this is a close up of another drone:

Note the sensor.

Overview:

Foster-Miller claims the TALON is one of the fastest robots in production, one that can travel through sand, water, and snow as well as climb stairs. The TALON transmits in color, black and white, infrared, and/or night vision to its operator, who may be up to 1,000 m away. It can run off lithium-ion batteries for a maximum of 7 days on standby independently before needing recharging. It has an 8.5 hour battery life at normal operating speeds, 2 standard lead batteries providing 2 hours each and 1 optional Lithium Ion providing an additional 4.5 hours. It can also withstand repeated decontamination allowing it to work for long periods of time in contaminated areas. It was used in Ground Zero after the September 11th attacks working for 45 days with many decontaminations without electronic failure.[1] This led to the further development of the

HAZMAT TALON:

It weighs less than 100 lb (45 kg) or 60 lb (27 kg) for the Reconnaissance version. Its cargo bay accommodates a variety of sensor payloads. The robot is controlled through a two-way radio or a Fiber-optic link from a portable or wearable Operator Control Unit (OCU) that provides continuous data and video feedback for precise vehicle positioning.

Regular (IED/EOD) TALON: Carries sensors and a robotic manipulator, which is used by the U.S. Military for explosive ordnance disposal and disarming improvised explosive devices.

Special Operations TALON (SOTAL): Does not have the robotic arm manipulator but carries day/night color cameras and listening devices; lighter due to the absence of the arm, for reconnaissance missions.

SWORDS TALON: For small arms combat and guard roles. Tested in December 2003 in Kuwait prior to deployment in Iraq.

HAZMAT TALON: Uses chemical, gas, temperature, and radiation sensors that are displayed in real time to the user on a hand-held display unit. It is now being tested by the US Armament Research Development and Engineering Center ARDEC.

The robot costs approximately $60,000 in its standard form. Foster-Miller was subsequently bought out by QinetiQ, a United Kingdom military developer.

SWORDS:

Foster-Miller TALON SWORDS units equipped with various weaponry.

SWORDS or the Special Weapons Observation Reconnaissance Detection System, is a weaponized version being developed by Foster-Miller for the US Army. The robot is composed of a weapons system mounted on the standard TALON chassis. The current price of one unit is $230,000; however, Foster-Miller claims that when it enters mass production the price may drop to between $150,000 and $180,000.

There are a variety of different weapons that can be placed on the SWORDS; M16 rifle, 5.56 mm SAW M249, 7.62 mm M240 machine gun, .50 cal M82 Barrett rifle, a six barreled 40 mm grenade launcher or quad 66 mm M202A1 FLASH incendiary weapon.

SWORDS units have demonstrated the ability to shoot precisely. It is not autonomous, but instead has to be controlled by a soldier using a small console to remotely direct the device and fire its weapons. Foster-Miller are currently at work on a "Game Boy" style controller with virtual-reality goggles for future operators.

In 2007, three SWORDS units were deployed to Iraq. Each unit is armed with a M249 machine gun. This deployment marks the first time that robots are carrying guns into battle; however, their weapons have remained unused as the Army has never given the go-ahead for using them. The Army stopped funding the SWORDS robots after deploying the initial three robots. Foster-Miller is working on a successor: the Modular Advanced Armed Robotic System (MAARS)

Deployment

The Talon has been deployed in military service since 2000 - for example, in Bosnia for the movement of munitions and EOD (explosive ordnance disposal) to get rid of grenades. It was also used in Ground Zero after the September 11th attacks in search and recovery. It is the only robot used in this effort that did not require any major repair. Foster-Miller claims the Talon was used for a classified mission by US Special Forces in the war against the Taliban in Afghanistan as well as in an EOD role. In Iraq its standard role has been performing EOD and IED destruction missions. Its combat SWORDS version is now being used there in a guard role protecting front line buildings from attack. According to Foster-Miller, the robot has performed around 20,000 EOD missions in the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Regards Alpha.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, they have been used since 2000, I believe.

If these come from the likes of Darpa, these designs could be 20-30 years old.

I have said before that the Milltary Indutrial Complex (MIC) is always 30 years ahead of what they show the public.

so if we first saw them in 2000, that could mean they had them in some form or another back in the 1970s.

Regards Alpha.

I have said before that the Milltary Indutrial Complex (MIC) is always 30 years ahead of what they show the public.

so if we first saw them in 2000, that could mean they had them in some form or another back in the 1970s.

Regards Alpha.

Yes, I have not thought about it. For example, RC-XD is from the future. BO is in 1960's. They have few things in the game like AK-74u from 1974.

Of course, treyarch would pick something that is from the future and changes the form into the past. I haven't realized that. Thank you Alpha for making me understand more about this. ;)

This is a great find but I don't understand what drones like the TALON have to do with either of the quotes.

Ps could you highlight the part of the drone you think the cod pic is because I Don't see a iron gate and the barrel is almost as thick as the second Cylinder (don't konw what to call it)

as you can see by the same talon in this pic

TheBG out

Not saying they are exactly the same here.

They say that they had to stop using these after one during routine maintance targetted an engineer working on it. This a rumor, can't remember were I heard it.

The point is these robots are very dangerous if they ever lose control of them.

Also I would like you to think of these as foot soldiers for an AI computer system much like Eagle Eye.

Seriously Humans seem to be intent on destroying ourselves, one of the easiest ways to do this is making robots like these.

Has anyone seen Stealth?

In that film a Stealth Drone is assigned to a Human unit of pilots. After the drone learns from the Humans it start to act on its own.

Same with Skynet, which I have already said is based off real tech.

DARPA have already created it probably.

What happens when Drones take over from Humans completely in the battlefield.

The Humans become detached from the horrors of war making it more palatable to the soldiers & the public.

Basically zero accountability.

Regards Alpha.

If I had to guess I would be looking at heavy artillery, due to the elevation of the possible barrel; the support grid on the side and direction of triangulation in the support structure. Support structure on the front point appears to be hinged, indicating change of elevations are possible (by design). Support structure itself indicates that the structure either has length or mass beyond the norm (or that which can support itself).

Lol could be a vacuum clearner for all I know, just thought I would throw my two penny in; I want them back at the end though. :D

I hope BO2 multiplayer isnt full of stupid drones like the recon drone and assault drone like in MW3, to me the quadrotor will just be one of those killstreaks thats only obtained from a carepackage because its not good enough to select. [brains] anyway :D

Regards Alpha.

Yes, I have not thought about it. For example, RC-XD is from the future. BO is in 1960's. They have few things in the game like AK-74u from 1974.

Of course, treyarch would pick something that is from the future and changes the form into the past. I haven't realized that. Thank you Alpha for making me understand more about this. ;)

The RC-XD is not from the future. Radio-controlled cars have been available since the 60s, and anyone could strap C4 to one.

The Black Ops timeline ends at about 1978 I believe, so an AK-74u from 1974 would fit as well.

you know what Alpha, you've changed my mind

I thought a gun was to obvious, but now that I see somebody propose an attack/recon drone so well I think it may be a good possibility. That would also explain the funny connecting rig on the barrel, it's not connecting the Grenade Launching it's holding the gun.

And as we all know, this ties back into the 'Unmanned Systems' Theme.

Best guess I have so far is that this is a close up of another drone:

Note the sensor.

Overview:

Foster-Miller claims the TALON is one of the fastest robots in production, one that can travel through sand, water, and snow as well as climb stairs. The TALON transmits in color, black and white, infrared, and/or night vision to its operator, who may be up to 1,000 m away. It can run off lithium-ion batteries for a maximum of 7 days on standby independently before needing recharging. It has an 8.5 hour battery life at normal operating speeds, 2 standard lead batteries providing 2 hours each and 1 optional Lithium Ion providing an additional 4.5 hours. It can also withstand repeated decontamination allowing it to work for long periods of time in contaminated areas. It was used in Ground Zero after the September 11th attacks working for 45 days with many decontaminations without electronic failure.[1] This led to the further development of the

HAZMAT TALON:

It weighs less than 100 lb (45 kg) or 60 lb (27 kg) for the Reconnaissance version. Its cargo bay accommodates a variety of sensor payloads. The robot is controlled through a two-way radio or a Fiber-optic link from a portable or wearable Operator Control Unit (OCU) that provides continuous data and video feedback for precise vehicle positioning.

Regular (IED/EOD) TALON: Carries sensors and a robotic manipulator, which is used by the U.S. Military for explosive ordnance disposal and disarming improvised explosive devices.

Special Operations TALON (SOTAL): Does not have the robotic arm manipulator but carries day/night color cameras and listening devices; lighter due to the absence of the arm, for reconnaissance missions.

SWORDS TALON: For small arms combat and guard roles. Tested in December 2003 in Kuwait prior to deployment in Iraq.

HAZMAT TALON: Uses chemical, gas, temperature, and radiation sensors that are displayed in real time to the user on a hand-held display unit. It is now being tested by the US Armament Research Development and Engineering Center ARDEC.

The robot costs approximately $60,000 in its standard form. Foster-Miller was subsequently bought out by QinetiQ, a United Kingdom military developer.

SWORDS:

Foster-Miller TALON SWORDS units equipped with various weaponry.

SWORDS or the Special Weapons Observation Reconnaissance Detection System, is a weaponized version being developed by Foster-Miller for the US Army. The robot is composed of a weapons system mounted on the standard TALON chassis. The current price of one unit is $230,000; however, Foster-Miller claims that when it enters mass production the price may drop to between $150,000 and $180,000.

There are a variety of different weapons that can be placed on the SWORDS; M16 rifle, 5.56 mm SAW M249, 7.62 mm M240 machine gun, .50 cal M82 Barrett rifle, a six barreled 40 mm grenade launcher or quad 66 mm M202A1 FLASH incendiary weapon.

SWORDS units have demonstrated the ability to shoot precisely. It is not autonomous, but instead has to be controlled by a soldier using a small console to remotely direct the device and fire its weapons. Foster-Miller are currently at work on a "Game Boy" style controller with virtual-reality goggles for future operators.

In 2007, three SWORDS units were deployed to Iraq. Each unit is armed with a M249 machine gun. This deployment marks the first time that robots are carrying guns into battle; however, their weapons have remained unused as the Army has never given the go-ahead for using them. The Army stopped funding the SWORDS robots after deploying the initial three robots. Foster-Miller is working on a successor: the Modular Advanced Armed Robotic System (MAARS)

Deployment

The Talon has been deployed in military service since 2000 - for example, in Bosnia for the movement of munitions and EOD (explosive ordnance disposal) to get rid of grenades. It was also used in Ground Zero after the September 11th attacks in search and recovery. It is the only robot used in this effort that did not require any major repair. Foster-Miller claims the Talon was used for a classified mission by US Special Forces in the war against the Taliban in Afghanistan as well as in an EOD role. In Iraq its standard role has been performing EOD and IED destruction missions. Its combat SWORDS version is now being used there in a guard role protecting front line buildings from attack. According to Foster-Miller, the robot has performed around 20,000 EOD missions in the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Regards Alpha.

I dunno, when I look at the intel for the 29th, I see part of some kind of sniper rifle. But maybe that's just me.

• 7 months later...