Understanding TACITUS.

I've created this thread to explain what relation TACITUS has to Call of Duty and debunk some common misconceptions.

So, the word TACITUS IS related to Call of Duty, but it also means several different things.

Like:

A historian

A blog

A data collection business

A College Project

But none of those things are the TACITUS that relates to Call of Duty

The TACITUS that relates to Call of Duty appears to be a future weapons manufacturer it is COMPLETELY fictional, it does not exist in the real world, it was created for Call of Duty: Black Ops 2.

There's a lot of common misconceptions of what TACITUS means, let's go through them and explain why they are not related.

www.tacitus.com

This was a major misconception, a dead businesses website relaunches the day after the Call of Duty viral launches! The tacitus word is related to Call of Duty so this must be too right? Nope.

This website belongs to a man named Howard Coale, this man has owned this domain since 1999 and was put to use for his company which happened to be named Tacitus in 2004.

I can see why there was a little bit of confusion about this, I was convinced at first that this was related, but let me explain why.

The first essential evidence is that Howard himself update tacitus.com to say they were not related to Black Ops 2, the update has since been removed. Before anyone comments saying "They obviously removed it because it's related to black ops 2" no, they removed it because the owner of the site received a lot of emails asking what the message meant from rabid call of duty fans.

FPS Russia our main source of information for the first two days of the viral said that the Call of Duty viral had NOTHING to do with this site. This site belongs to a defunct company that is now attempting to relaunch after the large amount of traffic the site received because of the promotion from the CoD fanbase.

www.tacitusproject.com

This was the next big misconception, this is pretty easy to solve, it was registered the same day as the website was found, activision would have registered in advance and would have registered it with markmonitor, this was not.

Also it now leads to this very website, for some unknown reason (Staff literally have no idea why it re-directs here but it does)

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The word Tacitus means Unspoken. In other words Secret or not said. So Black operations etc. Stuff that doesnt exist etc.

My theory is though, that anyone to do with TACITUS like FPS or CoD, capitalize it.

So im assuming its an organisation in the form of an Acronym.

T

A

C

I

T

U

S

From what I can guess, ive tried rattling my brains for reasonable answers, but I cant. I believe its United States, which ends it. Intelligence? for I. maybe a Terror fitted in. But I do think this is waht TACITUS is about. I don't think you would name a manufacturing company TACITUS unless it's a behind doors. I.E. combating Aliens or Zombies, or the unknown.