The Trinity - Super, Chopper & Tom's guide to Shang 100 p2

Superhands

THE TRINITY - SUPER, CHOPPER & TOM'S GUIDE TO SHANG ROUND 100 PART 2

This part of the guide will focus on rounds 40-100, when the spawns are fast and our quick rinse-and-repeat AK & Semtex areas strategy will come into full effect.

For part one, click HERE.

SUPERHANDS' WRITTEN GUIDE

So, you’re now at round 40 and the spawns are really rapid. Time to change our strategy to a nice, quick one to take advantage of this!

Let’s take another look at the video for reference here; the strategy is fully demonstrated, and a full round 99 playthrough shows it’s consistency:

As you can see, we start in the Semtex room to lessen the spawns in the AK room before we enter it to gather the zombies, which makes things a lot easier. We then lead our gathered group back into the Semtex Room, throw a Semtex grenade at their feet and zap them with the Shrink Gun, lowering their health to 1 so that the explosion will kill them. We then wait a few seconds so the zombies spawn in our vicinity before moving off to the AK to repeat the strategy.

That’s the overview; now let’s break it down.

Starting in the Semtex Room

You’ll only wait here for 2-3 seconds when the zombies start to spawn, which is immediately after you kill them at this stage. Then, walk forward into the AK room.

Heading into the AK room before gathering

As you enter, hang to the right of the room next to the AK for as long as you can. From here, move slowly over to the left side and hang here.

From here, you’ll survey the situation.

There are 2 different ways to run this room. One is Chopper’s method, which is to run across the bottom of the room to the other side, continuing to sprint around the back and towards the random box side so that zombies don’t follow you round the back. See 7:50 in the video for a demonstration of this method.

This method can be a little nicer to use, but sometimes the front gets blocked so you have to use my method, which is just as safe once you’re used to it from personal experience.

My method is similar and is an excellent fallback as it’ll always work; from your hanging point on the left you’ll keep to this side, slowly approaching the tunnel, then slowly approaching the right side round the top part of the room in preparation for the cut-and-drag. See 6:20 for example.

The cut-and-drags

Whichever method you used, you’ll now need to use the upper part of the AK room to complete a couple of cutbacks and drag-outs to finish gathering your group.

As shown in the video, I slowly walk backwards down each set of stairs, keeping to the inside, clinging to the rocks in the middle of the room. This is the drag-out, and will clear the way for the cut. Keep this part as slow as you can.

Once the zombies start to follow me down the stairs, the path is clear for me to move off to the side and sprint around the zombies to the other side of the room.

Repeat this on the other side of the room until you have a full hoard.

Leading to the Semtex room for the kill

Once my hoard is gathered, I walk out into the Semtex room, maybe a little zig-zagging to help compact the group a little. Once I’m in the actual Semtex area after going through the small gap, you see me move over to the left and wait for the zombies to reach me.

I then throw a Semtex grenade at the group’s feet and wait a couple of seconds before shooting them with the Shrink Gun so they’ll still be shrunken when the grenade explodes.

Try to get as close to the zombies as possible before shooting, as the gun has very limited range. When I say close, I do mean close – close enough to hit you.

Once your group is dead, wait 2-3 seconds and repeat.

As mentioned, the gun has horrible range, and you may find the shot misses a few zombies. Don’t waste another shot on them, just circle in the Semtex room for a few seconds before moving off to the AK as usual, letting them join your next group.

The reason why use Semtex by the way, is because it’s right next to you as you wait, so can constantly be topped up for 250 points. Just more convenient as opposed to shrinking, switching weapons and shooting with the M&S. It also looks badass!

Ammo management

Ammo normally isn’t too much of an issue with this map. Max Ammos tends to drop fairly regularly, and even when it’s not upgraded the JGB still has a nice ammo count which is often replenished by an Ammo before it runs out in the run up 60 or so. After the normal version runs out and you upgraded it for more ammo, the ammo count is monstrous. On my run to 100, I only had to ‘recycle’ the gun 3 times throughout the whole game because of the pretty frequent Max Ammos. I didn’t have to recycle until 80+.

When it comes to recycling, I’d suggest trying to keep 1 zombie at the end of the round so you can hit the box safely when you’re running low on ammo on the upgraded version.

It isn’t out of the question however, to hit the box mid-round in any location on this map. It’s not the preferred method at all, but it’s a realistic option. Each room simple requires a slow circle round a structure with your group following behind, hitting the box on each loop.

Dealing with napalm zombies

This can be slightly tricky. It blows up, kills a bunch of zombies and continues killing them as they run through the fire. In this situation, you’re best of doing one of these 2 things:

1) Stick to the AK room, handling the zombies spawning in the room until they stop being killed when the flame dies down.

2) Leave the AK area, through to the power room and carry out the early rounds strategy, only on the way back killing your group in the Semtex room as normal rather than in the AK room.

This second is safer, but the first is quicker and more ammo efficient. Your choice.

Going for 100

So you’ve learned all of the strategies, you’ve been improving your play and you want to start going for the really high rounds.

Granted, high round runs take a lot of skill. But it’s also the mental side of the game that will help you reach you goal, be it getting to round 50, 100 or breaking the current world record.

I’ve lost count of the amount of times I’ve seen/heard people say ‘Well, I’ve been to round 50 and given up so I know I can do round 100’. This couldn’t be further from the truth; with all due respect, these people are speaking from an inexperienced point of view. Getting to round 50, and getting through the rounds past round 60 are two completely different things. Past the round 60 point and especially after round 80, the rounds become painstakingly long, you start to lose focus and lose interest if you’re not mentally prepared – or even if you are prepared, but not to so much of an extent. Not to mention that in some strategies, you’ll rely on ammo to get through the rounds, and at these high rounds your wonder weapon ammo will sometimes run out mid-round and you may find yourself hitting the box mid-round in an attempt to get the weapon back with full ammo - no easy task in some cases.

Again, no disrespect to anybody, but if you haven’t been to this point then you can’t possibly comment on how easy or difficult it is as you haven’t experienced all of these things. When you have experienced it, it gives you more respect towards others that do it. So if you’ve dipped your toes into the waters of the 50+ rounds, just be aware that doing another 50 rounds is no walk in the park.

With that said, far be it from me to discourage anyone - the previous paragraph was somewhat of a reality check; round 100 runs should be treated with respect if you want the best chance of achieving them.

So we touched upon mental preparation for these high round runs. Hopefully you’re now asking, “So Superhands, I realise runs to 100 are no easy feat and it takes a dedicated player to achieve it - how do I prepare myself for these long, drawn-out games?”. Well, here are a few tips that will help:

Do not rush these games. Sure, you don’t want to drag them out for longer than necessary, but rushing will result in costly mistakes.

Always have a target round in mind. As I mentioned, it takes focus and determination to reach the really high rounds, and keeping a target that you want to hit will give you an extra morale boost when things start to get tedious. If you hit your target and want to go further, reset another target round.

Don’t just jump back into the game after a really long break. If you’ve left the game on overnight and you come back to it the next day, you’ll most likely be feeling a little rusty, and gathering a train from scratch when you’re not feeling comfortable can cause mistakes. Before you finish for the day, build up a train before pausing the game. When you come back to it the next day, you’ll have a train already built and you can run around with it for a little bit to ‘warm up’ – practice your cut-backs and stuff with this train to ease back into the game. When you feel like your back in the comfort zone, kill your train and continue the usual strategy.

Don’t lose sleep over it. If you stay up all night playing and wake up early the next day to continue, your concentration levels will be way off. As a general rule – tiredness + gaming = bad combination.

Stick to the same strategy. We all tend to zone-out on the higher rounds at some point. You can afford to do this if you stick to an easy, reliable, rinse-and-repeat strategy. This is the reasoning behind some of the higher-rounds strategies I use – they may not be the quickest, but as I said, taking it easy is guaranteed to see you to higher rounds than rushing things.

CHOPPERNATOR'S VIDEO GUIDE

Video from ChopperNator coming here soon...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite Jay. :D

3 people had made it before Super and I....... RelaxingEnd and 2 others.

The guide itself is a variation of a co-op strategy, changed to a solo run. No-one before Super or I had ever even thought about running the AK area solo, as it was seen as a bit of a death trap.

Part 2 is just as good as part 1. Personally, I'm kind of dissuading from trying a solo game on here, just cause of petty my attempt will compare to yours. Perhaps a 100 on Kino will suffice? Or Der Riese?

The possibilities are endless, so only time will tell what I should do.

Something tells me that I want to use some of your other groundbreaking stuff and then twist it to my liking. I think that there's something to be said about a person that can provide such groundbreaking strategy, and yet leave it open to the personal interpretation of the player, if the player is willing to cooperate. Really though, it's great, and I've always enjoyed taking what you and Chopper come up with and tinkering it to my liking.

No one had run it to 100 before, as know one thought it was possible.

The fact that an entire strategy was written for rounds 1-40, and then 41-100 which had never been done before deserves slightly more than you trying to justify that you had run this before.

Showing a single non-commentated video without any text is at best a lazy way to show a strategy.

I'd never seen any co-op video for Shangri-la until after I had already started thinking about it. I was explaining how I was trying to do it to a friend and he pointed me in the direction of another video showing what you are doing?

Was you first with your video?

I just don't get the mentality of someone who does not even comment on the unbelievable achievement of getting to round fucking 100 wiht no downs, and decides to just post their own video. :roll:

It was swask and drac two pc player who made it to round 100 before you.

Yeti is right about how this is the same way every one on youtube runs ak. And how you made it seem like you had invented an insane new way of running ak while talking about it in other threads. But the thing is that half of the people on YouTube who try this had some 20 downs by like 50 were as you and Hands only could have 3 and didnt need any of them! I was trying this a couple days ago and had more than 3 down for 38 to 44...

I just don't think people truly understand what a achievement this is. It might be because of how easy Hands makes it look in his video ;)

Thanks 5and5, I appreciate that response.

I suppose part 1 is the only thing that was truly revolutionary.....Super did discover how to run the safe train and I discovered how to get to 45 or so just in the AK. As I said it took me a lot of attempts but I managed it.

And for part 2 we took something that had been seen in a few videos for co-op, each and everytime with both players having multiple downs and turned it into a fully fleshed out strategy. I mean fully fleshed out here Yeti. You know, so that any player has some hope that they can actually do this someday.

It's all very well putting a video up showing of your skills, but showing a nice and tidy round 72 or whatever does not show how to deal with a fire zombie, shrieker, running out of ammo etc.

No one had run it to 100 before, as know one thought it was possible.

The fact that an entire strategy was written for rounds 1-40, and then 41-100 which had never been done before deserves slightly more than you trying to justify that you had run this before.

Showing a single non-commentated video without any text is at best a lazy way to show a strategy.

I'd never seen any co-op video for Shangri-la until after I had already started thinking about it. I was explaining how I was trying to do it to a friend and he pointed me in the direction of another video showing what you are doing?

Was you first with your video?

I just don't get the mentality of someone who does not even comment on the unbelievable achievement of getting to round fucking 100 wiht no downs, and decides to just post their own video. :roll:

Totally agree mate, as I said nobody has ever done this in solo whereas everyone is doing it on co-op, and going down whilst doing it.

It's like, never mind that Chopper & I reached round 100 on Shangri La, which very few people have done, or that it was done with 0 downs and was done with using a risky strategy which seems to cause a lot of downs during the co-op version; because someone else created the strategy for co-op, this deserves no credit?

May sound a little harsh, but there are couple of people now that I've lost all respect for simply because of their ignorance.

Also, no offense meant to anyone, but everyone I've seen run this strategy in co-op has had many downs, or they make the strategy look hard, or both. Not to blow my own trumpet, but look how easy I make this strategy look - it looks like a piece of piss. I'd mastered it within 1-2 rounds, and because of that I had 0 downs by round 100. What good is demonstrating a strategy if it looks hard?

I always feel if you don't want people to see your work then don't post it.

What these three guys showed were their version of the strategy and executed it beautifully. Superhand made 100 without a single down. If you can't enjoy the strategy then appreciate the work. Watch the video again, he looked so calm and relaxed.

You are the first to do this on solo. Good job getting to 100 with no downs! That is amazing! I was just a little disappointed that there wasnt a new easier way to do this. Also to chopper, I wasnt even trying to make a strategy guide I just uploaded that video because we got disconnected on 72 so that was proof we got there and how we did it. Also, how are you going to say I am lazy?!?!? That took like 12+ hours NO BREAKS the whole time except when I recycled at the end of the round on 69.

You are missing my point yeti. Yes the strategy has been seen before.

But there is a world of difference between showing gameplay from a single round 72 co-op game, to writing and then bringing to life in video an entire strategy from round 1 - 100.

I've always said that you are one of the most beastly co-op players on the site. I was saying that if that was an attempt at showing a strategy it is at best lazy, not that the gameplay itself is!

2 really good players could watch your video once and pull it off instinctively, what we attempted to do was flesh out the details and hopefully help others who may not understand why things are done in a certain way.

Hands i applaud you, getting to 100 with no downs is certainly an achievement for the ages, but i must ask you, where do you find all of this time to do it all.

Cheers Vodstok :) Well, I'm self employed, sometimes I may get a couple of days where I've got nothing on, friends and family are busy, so zombies is an awesome way to fill out these days and 2 days is all it takes to get to 100 ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...