Shotguns and Scores

I don't believe anyone would disagree with me saying that Shotguns and Zombies go well together.

I do believe though that for CoD: Zombies, the scoring for shotguns is slightly biased. Shotguns are low ammunition weapons with high kill potential. The problem here is the point system. Shotguns just cannot compete with other weapons when it comes to scoring points.

My proposal: Shotguns earn points per pellets hit, x2 points for a body kill, and x2 for a headshot kill.

Numbers can obviously be tweaked

Agree? Disagree?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I believe shotguns follow normal bullet penetration guidelines, which means at MAX a shotgun pellet will hit three zombies. Depending on the spread it could hit a bunch of zombies or merely a single one. Since most shotguns have anywhere from 6-12 pellets per shot, it can vary on how many points that shotgun gets.

So, if a 6 pellet shotgun hit three zombies with each pellet(through penetration), and earned 10 points per pellet, it could equal, at max, 180 points.

A 12 pellet shotgun doubles this number, obviously, but maybe the devs at 3arc could balance it out in terms of ammo or points per shot. IE: 5 points per pellet on those 12 pellet shotguns, and 10 on those who fire 6 pellets.

Yeah, its a big number per shot, but if it could be balanced in terms of max ammunition compared to the ammunition of other weapons, Assault Rifles, SMG's, etc. it could be more competitive in terms of points.

Yeah, i used to love the trench gun, i think that all the shotguns should get a facelift so that they could at least be in competition. Also the WAW sniper rifles were pretty good i mean if you got a PTRS it could be a one hit kill for a good 20 rounds, so if they just make them more powerful/useful maybe people wouldnt cringe when they get one from the box

I entirely agree with you. Shotguns are the true classic gun that was used against zombies. Shotguns need to have competition while longer than what is now.

If treyarch did a facelift on the shotguns. I would use more often on trench gun and Double barrel shotguns. My good ole Boomstick does need a facelift!

Seems shotguns were supposed to be a powerful weapon that would kill in one or 2 shots. Hence,? The lack of points and ammo. BUT, it seems this plan failed, as shotguns, on average are usually only 1-hit kill up to round 10. And once they lose their on-hit power, tgsy're next to useless.

So, shotguns either need:

A: a power boost

B: ammo boost

Not points though, as since you're using a "powerul" weapon, you should get less points. Like how SMG's give you TONS of points.

Great ideas guys. I would love to see improvements from shotguns to be more competitive in the actual games.

Maybe add the special effect of pushing a group back. Shotguns are naturally powerful, one hit drives zombies backwards, perhaps even stuns them. Shooting at legs create crawlers. Also ability of blocking Windows with it.

I almost always grab the stakeout whenever I can in a zombies game. It just works so well in the beginning rounds. But like you guys have said, it just can't hold up to some of the other weapons. I'm not so sure about the points per pellet thing, simply because it might be a bit more detailed than it really needs to be. Either they could just increase the number of points a shotgun kill receives, or like mentioned before, increase the starting ammo for shotguns.

Before a few weeks ago I would have avoided shotguns all together, until i was on Verruckt (BO) and brought the Double Barreled Shotgun off the wall, actually found how good it was. This got me thinking why i rarely ever used them before, mainly it was because of the ammo and how shotguns like the Spaz-12 just irritates me. I just hate the Spaz-12.

Now I'm starting to like the Stakeout and the Double Barreled BUT I must have speed cola, it takes FOREVER for them to reload, but too right, it sure does pack a powerful punch, even if it takes two hits it's still a decent weapon.

I don't think that the points should be increased, you either kill them quickly and get less points or kill them slower and get more points. Although i would like the ammo to be increased.

Point wise they're fine because they're a pretty simple kill. But I love upgrading the double barrel on Der Riese and 60 spare shells just doesn't cut it, especially for an upgraded weapon. Give us somewhere between 90-120. (I upgraded the SPAS 12 once but it had such limited ammo that I said "not doing that again.")

Giving ammo is also a good idea.

Both work, but I think getting more money per shell would enable people to earn the points equivalent to that of an automatic gun, and have the benefits they do: Increased point gain, ability to buy ammo back, and a little bit of flexible spending.

I'm not trying to make shotguns ridiculously overpowered, but I do think that a point buff would make them more useful in the competitive and casual scene.

Do you have a problem with me bumping my topic?

Anyway, the mechanic for bullet penetration works the same with Shotguns as AR's. The pellet or bullet penetrates three zombies. Shotguns however don't get a point per pellet, so there is a cap in place. They may kill multiple zombies per shot, however shotguns are usually inaccurate (not many headshots) and they have low ammo. So, on a simple paper based equation, shotguns may get more points per buckshot. However, factor in accuracy, points per shot, and difference in ammo, and clearly Automatic weapons have an advantage when it comes to gathering points.