Build-A-Trap: New Zombies idea

So as I commented in a different thread, I think the idea of collecting a series of items spread around the map used to build and create different traps would be a really cool option in future maps. I thought a little about this before and since Ascension, traps have kinda felt a bit useless. Either that, or some maps don't even have actual traps!

I never spent much money on traps personally, always found them to be either too expensive or just a waste of points. I'd mess around when I basically was at a high enough round, I had more points than I knew what to do with anyways and would blow them on traps. And even still then, some of the traps have kinda started repeating too much or just got redundant.

So, I propose this exact idea:

- Create a zombies map that has certain items or tools that would be essential to creating a trap. Each new game, those pieces and items would rotate, and randomize in location. (Similar to the COTD EE.) Also, the type of trap it would be, would randomize after each game or time you used the trap. These traps would be effective for two rounds, then they would "break", and you would have to either find parts for a new type of random trap, OR have a location or "workstation" or another box that you could also then, purchase the trap you want again.

- These traps would also essentially be able to be placed anywhere. Once you have all the parts needed to build a trap, the trap would then appear in your selection menu (much like killstreaks or the hacker) And then, as though you were setting up a sentry, you could place or build the trap in that area that the trap will fit.

Whadda think, CoDz?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like a good idea and i support it completely :D . I think it would be a good to mix up the traps a little. Ive always wanted a c4 kind of moblie trap. once you collect the parts you can use it. blow it up and start again, mabye a acid trap or a healing shield. But my favorite would be a personal terminator with a mini gun. :twisted: [brains] :lol::D "Oh cabs yahhhhh"

I love it. Simply awesome. I like the idea of having a workshop area on the map. I could see it now:

Turret

1)collect parts(3 parts)

2)assemble in workshop(possible hacker type time delay bar?)(10sec.)

3)setup turret anywhere

Electricity

1)collect parts(4 parts)

2)assemble in workshop(20sec.)

3)setup electric post anywhere(similar to electricity on DOA)

Fire

1)collect parts(4 parts)

2)assemble in workshop(20sec.)

3)not too sure bout the fire, ideas? (maybe a flamethrower turret?)

I like the idea of being able to have a trap in a open area. Especially if there actually isn't one there and you put it there at will. You could circle it similar to the way Kino's stage is set up. Great post man.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback and complements. :)

However, just on the workshop bit there, the workshop would merely be a place to go and purchase the parts for a trap that you've have already previously gathered the supplies for. So it would basically, but a storage for parts gathered and used for said traps. Once you actually gather the parts needed, it would automatically become a displayable trap, going to the workstation would be too much work, and/or too risky IMO. But never the less, good thinking.

Yes, I like your idea on the work station much better. There could only be a max of 4-5 different traps, so it WOULD be a little pointless to gather parts you already gathered. As for the time delay, I don't know. I just kind of through that out there. I do like the idea of needing to save a crawler/throw a monkey/get a friend in order to assemble the trap, but as you said, it may be too much.

Having a place for them to be held for purchase sounds more reasonable. From now on I'm saying this: Please Carbon, Please be looking at this. Great idea man, I can't say it enough.

You're spot on with the amount of traps available. I'd imagine them all being available after a certain amount of time as well. Once you've gathered and used the parts for one trap, then approximately 5 rounds later, new parts will randomly spawn scattered around the map, and you can gather and collect a total of 5 possible traps that you can then, go to the workstation, purchase the parts for a trap and off you go.

Now, I was also just thinking this could work in one of two ways:

1. Similar to the care package crates in MW3's "Survival" mode, the workstation will come up with a list of the traps available, and depending on how useful or strong they are, will depend on the price. (Roughly 600 - 1500 points)

2. The workstation will work just like the mystery box, and the trap received will be completely random, and the cost will be 1000 points each purchase.

1) This option is good. I hate to think anything IW created would be in zombies, but it offers the type of challenge I mentioned earlier. Time delay. The screen that pops up in survival restricts your ability to move or interact with the gameplay while scrolling. I like this. It adds a sense of urgency to the work station.

2) This option is also good, though I feel only having five choices in the station would leave it looking empty as it cycled through the options. You may see the same trap 5-8 times before it chose. It could be changed, however. Reduce the speed of the reel. Maybe change music to include jackpot trap.(similar sound to when you get raygun 1st time)

IDK maybe not. I do like the core ideas of both choices though.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea! It would be great if it was in zombies. Imagine, a trap that just sucks zombies into a pipe. Like cartoon style, the zombie squeezes into the pipe the trap and shoots back at the horde. Blood and gore everywhere when the trap did this. This would be fun to watch zombies getting sucked into and shoots back at the group killing zombies. :D

That's the fun part; coming up with new traps to create that haven't appeared in zombies before. And the point being is to place it and use the environment around you to your advantage. I think it would also be cool if there were a spot that had loose rebar or a pole sticking out of a wall somewhere and you built some kinda catapult trap (similar to COTD) that once they stepped on it, it would fling them into the pole/rebar and shish-ka-bob them. :D

Or even have some remote detonation traps that work at your touch; find parts to a detonator and throw some C4 into zombies, bring down a building or destroy a bridge when the zombie train crosses in its path.

I have a few ideas.

Spike trap: Idea comes from the Shangri-la traps. This trap would be placed in a doorway and any zombies that run through get killed by spikes that shoot across the doorway.

Ice trap: Pretty self explanatory, this trap freezes all zombies and kills them.

Water trap: Jets of water shoot across the trap, obliterating any zombies in their way.

Spider Trap: Zombies run into a giant web and get stuck in it. They then are melted from a green acid.

Earth Trap: A giant hole in the ground is uncovered. All the zombies fall into this hole and die.

Saw trap: Giant circular saws are placed around the doorway and cut through any zombies that try to pass.

Wind trap: All zombies are thrown violently across the map from hurricane force winds. They die.

Grenade launcher turret: Same as the normal auto turret but shoots china lake shots instead.

Club trap: Zombies walking into this trap are beaten by spiked clubs.

Boulder trap: Boulders fall in a landslide, crushing all zombies in their path.

Snow trap: An avalanche falls and buries zombies under a mound of snow.

These are all pretty basic ideas but would make for some fun gameplay. If you guys like these I will post more ideas.

I have a few ideas.

Spike trap: Idea comes from the Shangri-la traps. This trap would be placed in a doorway and any zombies that run through get killed by spikes that shoot across the doorway.

Ice trap: Pretty self explanatory, this trap freezes all zombies and kills them.

Water trap: Jets of water shoot across the trap, obliterating any zombies in their way.

Spider Trap: Zombies run into a giant web and get stuck in it. They then are melted from a green acid.

Earth Trap: A giant hole in the ground is uncovered. All the zombies fall into this hole and die.

Saw trap: Giant circular saws are placed around the doorway and cut through any zombies that try to pass.

Wind trap: All zombies are thrown violently across the map from hurricane force winds. They die.

Grenade launcher turret: Same as the normal auto turret but shoots china lake shots instead.

These are all pretty basic ideas but would make for some fun gameplay. If you guys like these I will post more ideas.

A lot of these ideas sound pretty awesome. I especially like the idea of a saw trap, I guess kinda like one of the diggers on Moon that you can activate with a switch, would come down instantly when pressed.

I dunno about the idea of having to build traps etc, depends how you mean. If it's just finding a few pieces, like the trap piece on FIVE, to make a working trap, that's all good ;)

I have a few ideas.

Would these work on zombies and the 4 players? If it worked on everyone, wouldn't it just attract trolls to build the trap, use it on their teammate, then run away and not revive them? Other than that, these traps and this idea Undead Xp had in general were well thought out. :)

Well all traps in the current maps can be used to kill your teammates, so I don't see any problem with that being the case for these ones. If you have jugg you wouldn't be killed by the trap instantly, you'd have to be hit by it a few times. Most of these would be manually activated but there are a couple that wouldn't be.

• 2 months later...

I always thought it would be cool to be able to build the parts to like an AA gun, and since there will be twice the amount of zombies (supposedly) you could bomb the entire tree line and have the effect of a nuke, I was thinking of a cool map with the AA gun, a nazi post in occupied poland surrounded by forest and snow

Much appreciated. ;)

I also would like to see the environment of the map have more of a playing field in the chaos as well other than just exotic scenery. Like rigging various walls or trees, maybe even debris in the map to help thin out the horde. It would be very interesting to make the gameplay different each time, by having whatever effect the player(s) have on the map, ultimately effects the layout of the spawns, looping routes, etc. You blow a hole in the wall, that's now one more feature that can ultimately be either an advantage or disadvantage to your usual strategies prior.

You know what? I like this idea man. But, I think that 2 rounds is a little too short of time. At least 3 or 4 unless, of course, you are on a "high round". BTW this is my first reply on anything. I just got this like 10 minutes ago. I saw someone else do this so i will do it too. RECORDS: Kino der toten - round 47 solo, Der Riese - round 34 2 people, Nacht der untoten - round 20 solo, Shi no numa - round 29 2 people, Verruckt - round 21 2 people, Moon - round 19 solo, Shangri-la - round 19 4 people, Dead ops arcade - round 17 solo, Five - round 18 solo. I have not played Ascension or COTD yet.

You know what? I like this idea man. But, I think that 2 rounds is a little too short of time. At least 3 or 4 unless, of course, you are on a "high round". BTW this is my first reply on anything. I just got this like 10 minutes ago. I saw someone else do this so i will do it too. RECORDS: Kino der toten - round 47 solo, Der Riese - round 34 2 people, Nacht der untoten - round 20 solo, Shi no numa - round 29 2 people, Verruckt - round 21 2 people, Moon - round 19 solo, Shangri-la - round 19 4 people, Dead ops arcade - round 17 solo, Five - round 18 solo. I have not played Ascension or COTD yet.

I love this idea, and I sincerely hope they incorporate some sort of trap-system like this. As to the guy above me, you don't need to put your records in an actual post. Most people usually just put them in their signature, there are also threads specifically for posting your achievements/average score/ or applying to join a team.

If you have any questions about the forum, feel free to pm me or one of the staff members on the forum (they're all pretty great and really nice so don't be shy). I would also suggest taking the time to post an introduction of yourself. Hope this helps somewhat :D