Treyarch's New Game Engine

jc18378

I have thought about this for awhile. All the Call of Duty's have used the same engine with a few minor tweaks since 2007. I love Treyarch way of telling a story, especially with the Zombies stories. I am however going to be less excited if they don't use a new engine for the new game. I mean other games out there are using brand new engines like Battlefield and Mass Effect 3. The previous COD games look great but there is many other games out there that look better.

I know many of you don't care about how it looks just as long as it plays good. If that is the case then I don't want to be charged $59.99 for a new game that they could have just released as DLC since it will look the same as previous games.

I know they have added some upgrades to the engine but I know they can do better ;)

What are your thoughts....

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh god here we go again...

Truth is, they don't have the time to produce a new engine. They have 2 years to make a game, getting a brand new engine would take out masses of that production time and would, overall, be counter-productive. If Activision gave them a year to upgrade the engine and then the 2 year production cycle, then all would be well and good. But really, they just don't have the time to do it

Truth is, they don't have the time to produce a new engine. They have 2 years to make a game, getting a brand new engine would take out masses of that production time and would, overall, be counter-productive. If Activision gave them a year to upgrade the engine and then the 2 year production cycle, then all would be well and good. But really, they just don't have the time to do it

Untrue, all activison needs is to get another company working on the engine while the others continue making CoD. I suspect now they're waiting for the new consoles till they even think about a new engine, however.

Come at me bro!!!!

They don't have time?? Sir!!! They have millions of dollars!!!! How could they not make this happen. I'm just tired of a game that looks like it came from the first Generations of games from Next Gen. Consoles.

Come at me bro!!!!

They don't have time?? Sir!!! They have millions of dollars!!!! How could they not make this happen. I'm just tired of a game that looks like it came from the first Generations of games from Next Gen. Consoles.

Actually, ccm404e is right. TREYARCH does not have time, however I think ZOTD has the right idea here new consoles are expected in about 2 years, expect to see a new engine around thenish :D

IW claimed it was counter productive to make a new engine, critics argued that there would have to be one eventually (and other claimed as their game would sell anyway they didn't want to waste money making it better, which to be fair they heavily implied themselves...)

But. Remember that with the introduction of both Raven and Sledgehammer the three companies will be making games; ergo 3 years to make each while we still get one a year, perfect time to make new game engines.

Secondly, remeber treyarch build upon the last game, not as IW do, their last game (i.e. MW3 not Black Ops), meaning there will be an increase in the rate of improvement in CoD.

Or, and this is my most hopeful, they don't churn them out every year and go back to the cod 1, 2 and 3 method of taking a few years with each one!

This is the best game engine of this console era. They can tweak it, but basically this is as good as it gets. I'll hope for a better game engine when the next gen consoles come around.

It still has flaws, they can't be complacent, for example Battlefields frostbite 2 has some spectacular lighting effects, knowing Treyarch if they put a focus on that they could do something much better!

It still has flaws, they can't be complacent, for example Battlefields frostbite 2 has some spectacular lighting effects, knowing Treyarch if they put a focus on that they could do something much better!

Yeah but Frostbite's engine only plays at 30 frames per second on consoles. They have cool lighting, and environmental effects, but it won't play at 60 FPS, which IMO is a major reason why COD is the current king of first person shooters

Yeah but Frostbite's engine only plays at 30 frames per second on consoles. They have cool lighting, and environmental effects, but it won't play at 60 FPS, which IMO is a major reason why COD is the current king of first person shooters

They are kings because of 60 FPS? Last time I played Battlefield 3 I dont remember 30 FPS being a issue when flying a yet into a building and killing 3 enemy players????? The experience of this engine is a lot more immersive because of everything that you can do besides shoot a gun.

I love COD but they really need to add something else to spice things ups. I am getting Franchise fatigue.

I love COD but they really need to add something else to spice things ups. I am getting Franchise fatigue.

I feel you on that. I'm getting fatigued on the same ol' thing with MP.

The main reason I plan on getting the next COD game right now is for the zombies.

Same here man, I feel zombies has something that MP never will which is crazy weapons and amazing dialogue.

Meh, Frostbite 2.0 isn't all that. Yeah it looks great on a high end PC (I play console) when your standing still admiring the lighting and particle effects but kind of goes to pot when the action gets heavy, and the MP never really looks as good as the SP. Also having the game completely studder on me during the final chase scene left sour note in my mouth. All that being said I'm sure it will come into it's own when the next gen console hits and the hardware catches up.

I think Activision was smart not to rush out a new engine just to say they did, because lets face it, that's exactly what EA did. The new engine was not needed in this current gen of consoles and the HD install failpacks for BF3 and Rage proved that. COD will be getting a new engine when the next gen consoles hit. Expect announcements to coincide with Xbox/Sony console presentations. It's most likely been in development for some time now.

JC your complaining about the engine not the content so flying a plane into a building and killing enemy players has no real bearing on the discussion which you started.

I do agree that COD(not zombies) is getting stale but that is a completely different subject.

I mentioned flying a plane into a building because the game allows you to do crazy stuff like that. Where you can take a vehicle and just destroy the environment around you. It adds to the experience.

As for Battlefields MP compared to SP it looks very different. It does not however effect my ability to have fun and still use all the mechanics. Although I disagree with you Jason. When the action gets heavy looks and sounds great. I can hear every bullet and feel every explosion. I feel more immersed with that experience because not only does the game look great but it sounds amazing.

• 3 weeks later...

They have millions of dollars!!!! How could they not make this happen. I'm just tired of a game that looks like it came from the first Generations of games from Next Gen.

Ads by google — If you want to Buy Cheap WOW Gold, know about wow news and more games news, such as RS Gold,Diablo 3 Items and so on.

Where you can go???

MMolive.com is your best choice, welcome to here.

Believe us, believe your right choice!!! Come on, we are for you.