Why haven't we gone back to the Moon?

First we have only used 2 nukes and that was in WWII, In the cold war gaundi's ghost interfered and we only fought with words and that wasted enough money to go back to the moon. Second an underwater nucular attack is extreamly unlikely do to China knows destroy America and they would have a worse stockmarket then America from nobody buying there products. North Korea doesn't have the technolegy to reach us by air or sea because they are not a fully developed country, they have the technology that we did in WWII and the 60's or 70's.

I don't think you quite understand the political situation during the Cold War. While we were stockpiling nuclear armaments ( I say armaments due to backpacks, recoil-less rifles, warheads and bombs) due to the idea of Mutual Destruction. IE: If johnny hits me, I'll hit johnny twice as hard. This was started due to the U.S.S.R's creation of satellite nations, the Iron Curtain, Berlin wall and countless other deciding factors. So the stockpiling of weapons was called for... Kinda. So in fact we could not have gone back to the Moon as this would mean a dip in weapons deployment, in which the Soviet Union would surpass us and lots of bad things would happen

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats not really how it worked. Richard Nixon was in charge during the moon landing, and the rest of the Apollo missions. In terms of international relations, he is a rock star; he broke up the Shino-Soviet bloc (meaning Communism lost its most populous country and Russia could not even theoretically go to war with capitalism), and since the chance of the Cold War ever going "hot" were reduced basically to zero, he also created the first SALT program (strategic arms limitation treaty) and ABMT (anti-ballistic missile treaty), both of which froze nuclear (and in some cases conventional) weapons levels and outlawed some forms of weapons entirely.

It was under Nixon, and around the time the Apollo missions drew to a close, that we actually went in the opposite direction with Cold War policy; the United States and Soviet Union entered a period of mutual "toleration" instead of constantly itching their nuclear trigger finger. The missile gap myth was exposed, MAD (mutually-assured destruction) was no longer necessary, and budgets to the military and NASA (NASA funding and the space race was unpopular and seen as a waste of money that could be going to social programs by the american people) were cut.

We did not go back to the moon because it was not popular to do so, and without the "space race" as justification in the first place, it was hugely unpopular to continue pumping money into it.

apparently when we went to the moon in "Apollo 18" we have been picking up rocks that arn't even rocks there spider-like moon creatures which i thought was wicked! :D

you know i don't get why if there are e.t. out there or simply a moon base who cares don't you think we have a right to know especialy if we want to stay safe why keep something like this a secret :!: