What experiences you made with playing drunk

Hey

Whenever I play zombies, I mostly hit a beer or two (or more). I just wondered, have you experience with playing drunk? What do you think, do you play better or worse? Is it like driving a car: You think you drive better but actually you loose skills, but you just don't realize it? When you do not care too much about the game, cause your drunk, might this be an advantage? Just to mention, when you don't have jug and you knife, you might get a ton of hits, cause you are so stressed. But as soon as you get jug, you play the same way but you won't get hit anymore, just cause you feel safe. Might alcohol have a similar effect, like just playing more relaxed, more routined, and therefore in the end lead to a better gameplay? Do you loose the fear of zombies and just rape them, instead of making errors because you feel uncomfortable, when you are surrounded? Or is the loss of focus and reaction causing the opposite effect?

I'm not talking about totally drunk situations, I'm talking about 2-3 beers, when you still are awake and when you do not see everything doubled :D

For me, it's rather that I'm getting lazy and unconcentrated, and play worse in the end. But at the same time, I also think this loss of fear of the enemies is an advantage in some way.

What experience you made? Is your gameplay getting better or worse, when you play drunk? And might you just feel that it's better, but might it actually be worse in real?

[the reason this topic is opened in the strategy section is cause it might turn out that it is better/worse to play drunk, leading to better sucess of your play, therefore maybe being a strategy tip to play drunk or not drunk]

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, at the risk of offending people I will say that when my mind has been taken to another place whilst I'm playing NML my skills go through the roof. It's like 10 min maximum which a nice time limit to have to concentrate fully on. But when I tried this whilst doing my Kino no perks it was a completely different story and I got smashed!

If you have been playing zombies for long enough most of what you do becomes instinctive reaction. I find that if I'm completely straight I can overthink things. In any activity in life generally the instinctive reactions are what you want to rely on once you have 'trained' enough to develop them.

Zombies is a really fun game as anyone on here knows. However after playing for 5 hours in Co-op it can become a bit of a drag. Chemical stimulation of any kind at this point can really help you power through :)

I like my level 20 cheeky smoke :mrgreen:

When I get good and high-if you take offense to that you obviously shouldn't be reading this thread-I become a beast at zombies, or multiplayer. I feel like I can totally focus all my energy to just my hands, and my mind.

Now playing drunk, like 5 crown and red bulls, with beers on top drunk, I suck. Cant hit the broadside of a barn, or juke to save my life.

Occasionally when I'm at a mates or they're at mine, we love to get absolutely smashed and play games, Zombies being one of them. Can't say we do better, but it's so much fun and it's really funny for some reason. At the start of the games (when I've had some drinks), I think I do better than I usually do at that time, but it just plummets as the drinks continue.

Very interesting, looks like you do not play better, but you can hold it for longer. And Smokers seem not be play worse at all ;)

Yes, that's how I see it. Smokers from my experience actually play a bit better, especially for me in NML. It's like my inhibitions and natural cautiousness from playing co-op and trying to make sure I don't go down disappear, which leads to the crazy kiting I do. But for any longer challenge which requires intense concentration for longer periods of time, I have to be straight.

Or straightish ;)

this reminds me of one night in college, I put down about 5 vodka shots and started playing super mario 3 to see how I fared. I ended up around the toilet before I lost a life, so not bad.

With zombies, I usually get a buzz at worst, but it makes it more fun. I don`t get any better or worse, but it keeps the games more interesting somehow. Hard liquors aren`t good because they hit you too fast, and beer fills me up too quickly to get a buzz. So its usually cocktails, or mead for the most steady games

Well, I don't smoke anything so I can't comment on that.

When I've been drinking I turn into a terrible player. But I think this comes from being too relaxed.

At one point, Tom and I had a conversation about how you sometimes play like crap when playing with good friends that are good players, because you're just relaxing, having a laugh and you know your teammates will revive you if you go down so you generally don't care. You get the same feeling when drunk even if you're playing with randoms or solo, though in these cases you probably won't get revived :lol:

When I'm sober and I'm either playing solo, with randoms or someone that I've recently added as a friend and they don't really know how well I can play, I'm an awesome player. I'm aware, I'm careful and I hardly make mistakes, and because of this I rarely go down. But when I'm too relaxed the mistakes creep in over and over again.

But I think this comes from being too relaxed.

At one point, Tom and I had a conversation about how you sometimes play like crap when playing with good friends that are good players, because you're just relaxing, having a laugh and you know your teammates will revive you if you go down so you generally don't care

Haha, me, Eye, Way and Savage have spoken about this a few times!

BTW me and Eye are terrible teammates if we play together and with friends. We (kinda) purposely get in each others way and generally run around causing havoc. But we know we aren't going to die either way, just give our friends more work to do :lol:

me and Eye are terrible teammates if we play together and with friends. We (kinda) purposely get in each others way and generally run around causing havoc. But we know we aren't going to die either way, just give our friends more work to do :lol:

In those long games, sometimes you just have to find a way to keep things interesting :lol: For me it's like 'I'm getting really lax, maybe I should go run a shoe-box train to get the adrenaline going' :P Then of course if I go down my teammates are probably thinking 'wtf is he doing there anyways?'

• 1 year later...

I tend to be a talkative drunk, so when I play drunk my focus is not on gameplay, but chatting it up with my fellow players, much to their annoyance.

Medically speaking, alcohol inhibits your motor skills (hand-eye coordination, reaction time, etc..) so no one should be better at any video game while drunk, but many say they are because alcohol also inhibits higher brain function. They claim this helps them focus better on instincts. I can see that, but the loss of motor skills, to me, outweighs the ability to react instinctually vs. logically.

Reality is all about perception, so if you perceive yourself to be better while drunk, you are. Then again, can you really trust the accuracy of your self-perception while you're intoxicated?

by ETEl2NAL407 » Reality is all about perception, so if you perceive yourself to be better while drunk, you are. Then again, can you really trust the accuracy of your self-perception while you're intoxicated?

LOL so true! i smoke pretty well everytime i play... and if i dont and i start playing sucky, ill usually just chalk it up to not being high enough..LOL

flawed logic at its finest!

regardless, i do think it makes me play better... but in the same respect, everytime around Rnd.40 were all like "IS THIS EVER GOING TO END" and with those thoughts come the end of the game... almost all of the time lol

so back to what El2NAL407 said.. SO TRUE

Uhg... Both my parents have an Alchohol problem... Which is why I refrain from intoxication...

But I have had PLENTY of experiences with drunk and high morons who say: Sure Ill help with the Easter egg! (five seconds pass...) dude I'm sorry... I didn't know zombie's were dangerous... I just want to hug them man! ....

Nein... I dispize drunkards on all maps...

In zombies, I still don't really notice a big difference. It's probably just automatism going on there.

But I played some multiplayer recently. I noticed very well, that with the increasing blood alcohol level, the K/D decreased ;)

Looks like those guys saying reaction time is going up are right ;)

Hey

Whenever I play zombies, I mostly hit a beer or two (or more). I just wondered, have you experience with playing drunk? What do you think, do you play better or worse? Is it like driving a car: You think you drive better but actually you loose skills, but you just don't realize it? When you do not care too much about the game, cause your drunk, might this be an advantage? Just to mention, when you don't have jug and you knife, you might get a ton of hits, cause you are so stressed. But as soon as you get jug, you play the same way but you won't get hit anymore, just cause you feel safe. Might alcohol have a similar effect, like just playing more relaxed, more routined, and therefore in the end lead to a better gameplay? Do you loose the fear of zombies and just rape them, instead of making errors because you feel uncomfortable, when you are surrounded? Or is the loss of focus and reaction causing the opposite effect?

I'm not talking about totally drunk situations, I'm talking about 2-3 beers, when you still are awake and when you do not see everything doubled :D

For me, it's rather that I'm getting lazy and unconcentrated, and play worse in the end. But at the same time, I also think this loss of fear of the enemies is an advantage in some way.

What experience you made? Is your gameplay getting better or worse, when you play drunk? And might you just feel that it's better, but might it actually be worse in real?

[the reason this topic is opened in the strategy section is cause it might turn out that it is better/worse to play drunk, leading to better sucess of your play, therefore maybe being a strategy tip to play drunk or not drunk]

I have a BLAST playing drunk... however my groups good runs do not come on the nights we have been imbibing...lol. It's a lot of fun, but reaction time suffers and depending on the person, attention span is a real challenge especially in the higher rounds that last a long time