Zombieholics not-so-anonymous: How did you get into playing?

So we all got into this game somehow. Maybe you were introduced to it by a friend, thought CoD looked awesome from TV ads and found zombies through generally playing CoD, or you read good reviews or stumbled upon videos of zombies on the internet.

Mine is pretty standard, introduced to it by a friend.

We played a little Call of Duty, I wasn't really into it. Then on the main menu on W@W, I noticed there was a zombies mode. I quizzed my friend about it and he said he was gonna show me it at some point, but let's play it now.

At the time he had NDU and Der Riese, we only played Der Riese at first. First few attempts, I thought it was alright, nothing amazing. But that said, we'd only reached level 10.

As we played it more and more and became more and more skilled, we started to become hooked on it. We'd regularly reach the 30s and 40s and we learned the basics of running trains.

Then the release of Black Ops came. We'd played a little Kino but thought it was pretty dull and boring, so we started playing FIVE really often with players online.

Things in Black Ops zombies seemed so much more hectic and it was pretty thrilling to play; I just fell in love with it.

That's pretty much when I looked at getting the game myself.

I didn't have a current gen games console at the time as I wasn't much of a gamer at this point. The cheapest option was just to get a good graphics card to put in my PC so I could run it. This was a pretty annoying experience; the first card I got wasn't quite good enough (an 8600GS, I assumed it would be good due to it having 1GB memory). Then the second one I got was faulty and had to be returned, so I still had Black Ops and W@W both sitting there, installed and waiting to be played. Third time lucky, picked up a GTX 460, put it in, cranked the graphics up to the max and got to zombie slaying.

At the time, I was a terrible solo player, but I kept playing and playing solo on FIVE and W@W Der Riese, soon enough I was reaching round 30+ every single time I played. My friend was pretty amazed!

Before, I'd had no intention of buying any map packs, the W@W ones were free on PC. I started reaching the 50+ rounds in solo on several maps however (100 on Kino by this point), I was hooked on the game enough that I decided it was time to buy the newly released Ascension.

So that's my story. What's yours?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was obsessed with MW2,

When BO came out i'd never played zombies before, and didnt bother for about 3 months.

Was still loving the multiplayer action, but that soon lost its edge,

So i thought i'd see what this zombies mode is all about,

First go - went down within about 1 min (as most of prob would have done lol)

I was a bit mad because i consider myself to be an above average COD player,

I wasn't going to be good at multiplayer but $hite at zombies,

So i gave it another go....then another....then another.....and was still awful.

Did some research online (found this lovely place) and Ehjookayted myself (see what i did there :))

Spent many a day at work - thinking/planning/stratagizing(?) for the zombies session for the night - the main reason i was grabbin the BO DLC was for the new zombies maps.

Started reaching the 30's then 40's then 50's and have never looked back.

Now i have to really plan ahead if i wanna play zombies - because i know its going to be a 4-5 session if all goes well.

Can't for 3arcs follow up game.

Great things are coming - they must be!

(Nice topic choice superhands)

[*:gj3km83t]Read lots of news about this mysterious COD series going on... (never played any)
    [*:gj3km83t]Thought, damn have to try that out.
    [*:gj3km83t]Downloaded the game
    [*:gj3km83t]Was ok
    [*:gj3km83t]Played Zombies
    [*:gj3km83t]Was.... OMG wtf, damn, jesus, wtf, yooooooo. The cracked version had the Zombies locked. I played always the last mission completely thru, cause it would bring me directly towards FIVE, which was the only way at this cracked stuff.
    [*:gj3km83t]Didn't know what all that stuff is - perks and traps and so, so I watched some youtube video.
    [*:gj3km83t]What? There is multiplayer? Awwwesome, I need, I like.
    [*:gj3km83t]Bought the game (I download most stuff, but will also buy most later in case it's good)
    [*:gj3km83t]Enjoying 1200 hours of gameplay.

It was back in WaW. I was already a Shooter gamer, loved COD4 and 3, got me hooked on to shooters from Mario. I wasen't going to buy WaW cause I was sick of the WW2 setting. but then I went to my Girlfriend's house one day and she forced me to sit down and play WaW. She told me I had to play this Zombies mode or otherwise I wasen't getting the goods. (TMI??? whateves)

So she loaded the game up and started ole Nacht. I was so damn bad at it. I couldn't kill a Zombie to save my life. In my first game, we went 15 rounds (she was pretty pro already, playing NDU all day and night) I went down 20 times and got 9 Kills. but something just drove me to keep playing, I bought WaW right away and starting practicing and soon, I could play on her level. then Verruckt came out, the addiction got stronger, then SNN with the crew and my beautiful Wonderwaffe. Then the glorious Der Reise. Never turned back from there.

Bought Black Ops naturrally, and the addiction continued, and now we are here today.

My friend told me WaW was a cool game (long before I was even on PSN or XBL) I beat the campaign, found Nazi zombies, Played NDU for like half a year, got PSN and bought Der riese, started playing online games and had my first 20+ game,then bought SNN, then Verruckt. Black ops came out, I played it a lot . I bought XBL around the time CotD came out and was introduced to training zombies.

I had played a little nacht before blops but that was at others' houses and it just wasn't that fun to me at the time.

Then MW2 came out and I was ridiculously obsessed, amassing over 40 days of playing time between my brother and I.

When Black Ops came out I was expecting the same experience, but this failed me.

And my one friend asked, do you guys wanna play zombies?

And thus our journey into zombies began playing it hours a day, thinking round 20 was like godly, now knowing what rape trains were, just pure zombies noobs.

And then some friends heard about the Richtofen on the books ,so we began to look around the maps, and we were one of the first to find the QUARANTAINE sign on Firing Range. This is what got us hooked on the storyline.

And then we pretty much would just play Kino Der Toten and Five non stop until Ascension came out, and we were still ridiculously hardcore with it.

And everything came together when I came to the epic CODZ and entered a whole knew world or ideas and theories and strategies I didn't even think such an organized forum could exist! And I fell in love with the sight and zombies and have stuck around ever since.

I was always afraid of zombie mode and whenever someone invited me to a game I declined. One day I decided to see if zombie mode was really all that bad. I did quite decent for my first time on Nacht, and played a few games after the first. I eventually got hooked a bit and would play zombies often. Eventually it became a daily thing, and I would sit playing xbox for hours just playing zombies. When I heard of GKNOVA6, I started googling it what do you know, I managed to stumble upon CoDz, which I would just read for a while cause I couldn't figure out how to register >.

Back in 2008 when I only owned a Wii I went round to my friend's house to play Nacht der Untoten on WaW. I was awful but loved the mode and I wanted to play it every time I went to my friend's house. We also played Der Riese a few times as they were the only maps he had. At this point I was still a terrible player. Finally in 2009 I saved up enough money to get a PS3 and with it I bought World at War. I immediately went home and bought the three map packs, however at this point I still rarely played solo, and usually only played co-op with friends on Der Riese and Shi no Numa.

When Black Ops was released I bought it on launch and played on Kino for the very first time with the same mate. I was pretty average but enjoyed Black Ops much more than World at War, mainly because it felt more polished and fluid. Despite loving COD4 and MW2's MP I disliked Black Ops' mode. So I started playing Zombies more, with randoms and friends as well. Finally, I began to play solo mode in a hope to get the trophies for the mode. After a lot of solo play and co-op play with friends I began to turn from an average player into a good player. I was getting the highest scores on my friend's list and dominating the scoreboards in public games. We began making it into the mid 20's on Kino der Toten almost every game. And then I discovered kiting. I was the last alive on Kino and was running to revive my teammates. By the time I got there I realised I had a huge group of zombies following me. I then realised that I could easily control the group and began to run circles around the map using traps in regular games. I narrowed this down to the stage and finally began to kite the zombies in much smaller areas. I was making it into the high 30's every game and learned the deeper strategies of kiting, like cut backs and 'drag outs'. I also learned to walk when kiting and to save your sprint for when you really needed it.

One afternoon I hit round 40 on Kino der Toten and this made me play Five more, further improving my kiting abilities. I also revisited WaW whilst trying to get high rounds on those maps as well. I bought every Map pack for Black Ops on release and from last Febuary to now my skills have further improved by each map and I discovered that solo was where my skills really shine. Around March last year I started watching YouTube videos on Zombies which gave me further tips and also informing me of the deeper storyline aspects in Zombies. I found this site last summer but only really started posting very recently. Zombies is my most played game now and I love playing Solo and Co-op on all the maps.

Mother of god that was a long post...

• 5 months later...

I recall back around april-ish last year i knew some people who had mentioned zombies in black ops (at the time i knew nothing about cod and thought black ops was all zombies), and i had seen some people playing kino for maybe 5 minutes at the most. Anyways around october when i finally got a ps3 one of the first games i got for it besides gta 4 was black ops (recommended by a friend). I played a little campaign but never really got into it, and to this day i SUCK at multiplayer, but something weird happened when i played a little mode called kino.

I sucked incredibly, the first couple days i played i couldn't get past dogs (in fact the first time i saw both dogs/mudmen i screamed, probably because the manual said more than just zombies lurk in these hallways...), and i'd say for the first month or two i was improving at maybe a round every other week (i recall my friend who sucks at solo due to patience issues used to hold the highest record i knew at like 16), and yet i couldn't stop playing the game. It was a sort of torture, having to play the game constantly and never get anywhere, much like running into a wall over and over again. For months i didn't know what the power did let alone what it was, yet all the characters kept complaining about it. At the height of my noobiness i'd save up with the mpl, jog to the power, get jugs or the bowie (usually not both), and camp out at the top of the stairs and die at round 10. And then a friend said he got to 50 with the ray gun and of course i never believed it, later i asked him how he got it and he said the mystery box. After some research i found out what it was and man, those early games with the box spawning right in the mpl room were SO MUCH FUN. A funny looking toy that insta-kills. A gun with so much ammo it'll last longer than my game. a weird looking radioactive barrel that blows zombies away. Man early on the box was so cool.

But anyways I'd say around november-ish i figured screw it and i'll cheat at the game and look up how to get far (I dd the same with the rubik's cube and now my best is like 11 seconds), and i heard about the full map circle with the mp40 that starts in the teleporter, and the first time i stepped into 20 in solo I was SO freaked out and died on like round 23. I kept practicing until about 35 until i decided full map looping was dangerous and boring, and over time i found looping the stage to be fun (before i'd loop there for a bit then jump in the teleporter until the late teens), and it proved kep to getting to 40, then 54 later. Shorty after i found five (which i had previously hated cause i knew nothing on how to stay alive, or pack a punch, or anything beyond the mp5k really) to be doable in the late 20s if you run the war room, and the freeze ray to be cool (though now i hate it because it turns to crap so fast :P), then my friend got resurrection and i tried the w@w maps for the first time, getting nowhere of course without practice.

Then finally i got several map packs, and with studying them and practicing many-a games that made me want to punch the tv, i now hold 38 on cotd and 54 on moon (both solo), and just recently 37 on moon in 2 player. I am hoping to get ascension and shangri-la soon (the monkeys on SL are fun :) )

I now yearn for 60, if not 70 and beyond...

• 3 months later...

It was back in the time of the summer. I was still young and it was 2008, my buddy had bought a 360 and kept telling me i needed to buy one and get away from my ps2(IK Its old!) so i ended up stumbling into playing Nacht on a bet. I won $50 as i reached round 15. i played a few more times that summer. On my birthday,my folks gave my WAW and i bought a used 360 from a friend. I still play with the white beast,and have burned through WaW and have destroyed black ops 1 and am currently slaying the hell out of Black ops 2. Strange to think that i thought this online playing was dumb and just to play what came with th3e game upon release. how wrong was I.