Bring back the classic feel!

Everybody remembers those days back in WaW with maps like Nacht, and Verruckt, and Shi No Numa.

The atmosphere of those maps were so intense and noticeably. It felt like nazi zombies.

Moving on later, to Ascension, maybe my favorite but it still just doesn't have that intense creepy zombies atmosphere the others ones do. CotD, and Moon didn't really have that scare factor either. I mean you are afraid of George and the space guy, but it's not like "oh shit it's that creepy broken record music in verruckt" it's "oh wow the gay ass spaceman took my jug!!!"

I think we need to go back to the atmosphere of the older maps, when they had a more erie feel, and more little easter eggs to them. Not just one big easter egg and everything else to be conlcuded from radios.

Who agrees?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was a clever blend of something new to all of us as well as the atmospheric setting and notice.

Verruckt is still the scariest map, and it was the second one released. I played it with Turtle Beaches and you could hear babies crying and people screaming in pain as always, except with those headphones, they felt as though they were right next to you!

If you guys want an ultimate zombies scarefest where you really feel like "OHMYGAWDOHMYGAWD!" instead of "F*ck yeah, bring it on!" Then I'd encourage all of you to make a CD with creepy ambient music from movies or scary games and play Verruckt.

I kid you not, I jumped multiple times. O_o Honestly, jumped haha.

Anywho, the new maps all do kinda lack that feeling. They need more background sounds like Verruckt and Der Riese had.

Hell, even SNN had random banging sometimes.

I'm so glad someone has said this. It is so true. I've been following CODZ since right back in the exciting times of WAW, but since I now know that the developers, in particular Collin Ayers is closely watching this forum, I decided to make an account just recently to have some input on what I feel needs to be changed in order for the zombies experience to be as amazing as it can be. They all do lack the eerie feeling of WAW but I think there is a lot more to it than that. There were a lot of things that were changed from World at War to Black Ops which I think have been detrimental to the zombies experience as a whole. This is one, but there are numerous others, many of which I believe stem from the Black Ops engine changes from WAW. I have been working on an extensive list which I will post very soon on the zombies suggestions post. I hope that I can get enough support so that these suggestions are taken seriously by Treyarch.

I agree with you on that. I loved the ambient feeling of Verruckt, Shi No Numa, and Der Riese a creepy big factory with loud echo sounds of clock ticking. I do agree Treyarch should make maps that have this kind of mood setting. It fits so much to playing zombies. The Mood and ambience was perfect in W@W.

Been saying that for years now :P the change came in Riese, before that it was slightly more complex each game, but with more focus on the movement, verruckt and nacht were simple, the focus was on zombies and the tone, NDU you're in a room at night in fog, verruckt you're seperated! and SNN you are stuck in buildings, to move you have to go into the open where running in swamps which slow you down also spawn zombies.

If you want that feeling, treyarch need to focus less on more tech, more weapons, more things to do and focus on totally different maps, with the WaW gothic feel and more focus on the movement.

Been saying that for years now :P the change came in Riese, before that it was slightly more complex each game, but with more focus on the movement, verruckt and nacht were simple, the focus was on zombies and the tone, NDU you're in a room at night in fog, verruckt you're seperated! and SNN you are stuck in buildings, to move you have to go into the open where running in swamps which slow you down also spawn zombies.

If you want that feeling, treyarch need to focus less on more tech, more weapons, more things to do and focus on totally different maps, with the WaW gothic feel and more focus on the movement.

Well we already have everything, it could work. I mean look how many perks we have now: juggernog, speed cola, double tap, quick revive, flopper, stamina up, deadshot daiquiri, mule kick.

That's 8 perks!

And they already have the guns we want, just some more work on the wonder weapons and bring back the hacker, just in a different form.

And in the process of making the new maps, put little easter eggs back in! The big one is fun, the first few times, but then there's nothing left to discover. And it was those little hints and decodings which drew everyone in originally.

Agreed.

I don't know is it just me but.. Tryarch makes like more black'n'white styled than IW, And i like it! That thing makes Treyarch games more better than IWs. And that same thing made WaW zombies be more awesome than Black ops's, cause Bo was more colorful than WaW, I don't know how, but it just was.

WaW: Points: +6

+Smaller EE's are more fun to complete : )

+There are LOTS of radios

+More awesome EE songs in WaW (Personal Favorite: Beauty of annihilation)

+Zombies are more scarier

+Free map-packs (Pc)

+Hardest enemies! (Sprinter zombies :D)

Bo:Points: +2

+Large maps

+Different lethal grenades

+Lots of Easter eggs

+Awesome lyrics in EE songs!

+More Story

-Too much perks

-Classic maps in Bo are too "Cartonised?" They looked more cleaner than in WaW..

-There were too much different zombies in Bo.

See? these are differents between WaW and Bo!

and that's why i think the feeling in WaW was (IS) better than in Bo. And i hope that that feeling will come back!

I absolutely agree. I want that eery, WW2 nazi feel back that Verruckt and Kino captured so well.

I love how Ascension is decorated, but it lack a bit of that beloved nazi zombie feel from previous maps. The other maps after that just lost that feeling all together.

The way I predict the future maps going, I see a lot of exotic places in time, like Stonehenge and fighting mummy zombies inside of pyramids. Stuff like that. But the rumored map I'm most looking forward to, if completed, is the Paris catacombs map. I want it purely to get that classic WAW zombie feel back in the game. I honestly could care less how they try to incorporate the catacombs into the storyline. Just make it happen for nothing else other than to preserve the original tone of the game.

You have no clue how much I miss a good solo game in WaW, BO feels so weak in comparison when it comes to atmosphere.

For example, the Resident Evil games were so scary, the first 3 made me have nightmares when I was younger. Now, we have more action packed versions of Resident Evil.

We want a balance!

I can't add much more than you guys already have.

I want ghost and scary pop up, random power outages where it goes black and you use a flash light (mixmaster's idea), and you need to buy batteries for the flash light or else scarier stuff happens, random shadows where you think it's your friend, like th astornaut but actually looks real, and you go towards him and just see nothing, then turn around and see a thing go to your face and scream then disappear, :twisted:

Regards Yellow-card8

just wanted to add... If you want to feel the Most awesome feeling in the WaW, go to play all the maps in order (Ndu, Verrüct, Snn, Der Riese) in the middle of the night when it's dark, shut all the lights, take out your best headset, take a good seat, open game, put brightness to "low" but not too low, or it will look stupid. put sounds and music to loud. Drink one coffee and start playing! (Optional: make a playlist from all EE songs and put it to loop with little volume, and shut down in-game music) This is the point feeling of WaW! (Remember to be alone)

Warning: If you go to sleep right after this, you just wait when zombie breaches your window and runs in :lol:

Der Riese had a "scary" feel for me when I first played it.

Though I jumped straight from Nacht Der Untoten To Der Riese without EVER playing (or even witnessing gameplay of) Verruckt or Shi No Numa, so I was really jumpy when I realized how fast they hit. I had no idea where anything was, and I just kept running into corners and camping. But as I played more, I got a better feel for the level, realized what the perks did (Didnt even know what a perk was at the time. Zombies was the ONLY CoD I EVER played)

Soon the map kinda lost its "scary" feel and got more of an "insane" and "Epic" kind of feel, since everything new at the time was just sorta introduced to me all at once (Perks, Monkeys WunderWaffe, Pack-A-Punch, Teleporters, PPsh lol, Etc.)

Note: Playing Der Riese before Verruckt and ShiNoNuma kinda ruined them for me. They just felt like a step back once I played them. It sucked. But Black Ops got me into those maps more, since more things were included, and the zombie count wasnt all wack (24 per round. Once I realized this NDU, Verruckt and ShiNo just got rediculousley easy)

Agreed.

I don't know is it just me but.. Tryarch makes like more black'n'white styled than IW, And i like it! That thing makes Treyarch games more better than IWs. And that same thing made WaW zombies be more awesome than Black ops's, cause Bo was more colorful than WaW, I don't know how, but it just was.

WaW: Points: +6

+Smaller EE's are more fun to complete : )

+There are LOTS of radios

+More awesome EE songs in WaW (Personal Favorite: Beauty of annihilation)

+Zombies are more scarier

+Free map-packs (Pc)

+Hardest enemies! (Sprinter zombies :D)

Bo:Points: +2

+Large maps

+Different lethal grenades

+Lots of Easter eggs

+Awesome lyrics in EE songs!

+More Story

-Too much perks

-Classic maps in Bo are too "Cartonised?" They looked more cleaner than in WaW..

-There were too much different zombies in Bo.

See? these are differents between WaW and Bo!

and that's why i think the feeling in WaW was (IS) better than in Bo. And i hope that that feeling will come back!

You're never getting free maps back thanks to steam :P but you've summed it up perfectly! [brains] for all!