Do You Want To Run CoDz?

carbonfibah

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to run CoDZ as I don't have the money, but I would love to be a moderator! I've spent a lot of time on here, I've made good contributions, I like to think I'm friendly and approachable, and I'm not going anywhere anytime soon. And I'm assuming that if someone takes over the site, there will be a lack of admins, which means mods will be moved up to admins, which will free up moderator space.

And if someone needs hosting money, just put up a damn ad. If anyone needs to see the math again, hit me up.

Plus, Doggy said he'd do it. He can handle this kind of stuff. Let him try it out, or at least get partial ownership.

No offense to anyone that isn't already on the staff, but I wouldn't trust anyone but a current staff member to run this site. Hopefully something can be arranged. I don't even trust myself to run the site. Besides the person that runs this site needs to be over 18, just my opinion though. I do realize age doesn't matter internally, but on the outside, it does. In terms of funding and relationships with people on the outside of the this site, AKA Treyarch, age could be an issue. However, if they're on the staff first and foremost, that would supersede age.

Some of you guys are hitting every single thing that I've explained to Dan, but he just won't listen to me whatsoever. Yes, I'll be leaving the site here at the end of August, but that's beside the point. I can still run the site until then and I know what group of people to look toward for replacing myself and running the site, and that group is our own current staff. Ads would also be a fantastic option for funding the site. Like perfectlemonade has already proven, a single ad would more than pay for the costs of the site. Maybe you can all show Dan that what I've told him is the correct path to take.

You know that donate button would look really nice next to two ads. :D

Good posts, Covert, Phxntxm. Hopefully carbon AKA Dan will see this. The money is... a lot. We love him for paying it, but seriously, it's a lot. Not many people can just pull $80 a month out for a website, an amazing website, but a website nonetheless.

He was originally going to turn the site over to me, but when I told him I couldn't afford it at the current time and I'd be leaving at the end of the year anyway, he essentially turned me down. If it was my decision, I would add an ad to the site in an instant, but since he still wants control over the site, a big decision like that would have to go through him and he makes the ultimate decision. My opinion is that he turns the site over to me and I run it the best way I deem necessary to best benefit the site and its users. I don't intend to tear the site down or break it in anyway and that was never my intention. I only want the best for site as a whole. Whether he likes it or not, the site needs to be run in the same way that a business is run. because of that there needs to be some form of income the site provides in order to keep the site running.

He was originally going to turn the site over to me, but when I told him I couldn't afford it at the current time and I'd be leaving at the end of the year anyway, he essentially turned me down. If it was my decision, I would add an ad to the site in an instant, but since he still wants control over the site, a big decision like that would have to go through him and he makes the ultimate decision. My opinion is that he turns the site over to me and I run it the best way I deem necessary to best benefit the site and its users. I don't intend to tear the site down and that was never my intention. I only want the best for site as a whole.

He's been controlling the site for almost 3 years, he's gonna be picky about it....but at this time it's going to be hard to be picky about it, the funding just isn't there without ads...

Geez, everyone is checking out the site news right now. Anyway, the Donate button, like MegaAfroMan pointed out in the User Manual is barely noticeable, it's all the way at the bottom of the page! If design integrity is Carbon's concern, then two small ads on either side of the Donate button would be barely noticeable but still there. I don't know. This is turning into a brainstorm.

It seems that ads have become the only way to make us work.

All this said, I have proven to be mature, but +18 I am not. We need to think about the site image. If we place someone as the admin who is not at least old enought to actually BUY THE GAME (damn the ESRB), then we are sure to get some flak. Maybe we can see if an affiliate would like to run the site? I know Mataks and several other (relativly) active members of the community would be open to helping.

I guess I would just stay CM, that was I can stay the nice guy and look out for you users. So admin, yes. I would love it... Owner? No. :cry:

Wow. Yup, Faust has definitely brought up an overlooked point. +1 for the ESRB reference. Affiliates... Wouldn't that mean Treyarch has control of this site? I don't know how everyone would feel about that, since a lot of the posts point out Treyarch's flaws, sometimes in a negative light.

How else would they correct their mistakes? Someone has to tell them.

They want to get better and make the game as enjoyable as possible. They can't do that without people pointing out their flaws. Treyarch officials have often expressed their approval of CoDZ. They're human beings. They want to improve, just like the rest of us. :)

I would be down with anyone that puts an ad on the forums. Just one teensy tiny ad. Like I've said before, it's barely even noticeable.

So there are quite a few people who would be up for running the site, however not a single person who can fund it...I don't want to sound like an ass, but carbon, I think that might be a hint. I just don't see another way to make this work out.

Wow. Yup, Faust has definitely brought up an overlooked point. +1 for the ESRB reference. Affiliates... Wouldn't that mean Treyarch has control of this site? I don't know how everyone would feel about that, since a lot of the posts point out Treyarch's flaws, sometimes in a negative light.

How else would they correct their mistakes? Someone has to tell them.

I was going to say the same thing, that's why they used to come here a lot to check out input, any feedback (even if immature and more negative than it should have been) does them good.

This is really true. I think I'm thinking that Treyarch is too sensitive. I forgot they weren't Infinity Ward. ;) I have a name. Strwrsbob.

He's 17, which means he can buy the game from the store. He's a donor to this site. He's been one of the best members, here since the beginning. He has the 4th most reputation on the entire site, behind carbon, Alpha, and Faust.

If he can fund the site, he would be a great candidate. :D

I'm too young to understand most of this, buy I'm going to speak my mind and I hope I don't offend anyone

The way I see it is carbon's put a lot if money into this site to keep it add free, from what covert is saying i would think he wants to keep it that way, but noone seems to be able to support it like he could,

I cant say this is how it is but to me it is how it looks

Now I've said I'm young and I don't understand how much £80 a week is or how much adds pay but I, like everyone else want the best here so I hope you can work it out, I just wanted to have my say

$80 a month in the first place is insane AFAIK. I know we're running of a dedi server but hell there has to be a better way.

I only just found this site and havent had a chance to look through it, but could somebody take a look at it and tell me if it sounds like a good deal?

http://www.bluehost.com/

I found that list from a top 10 independent hosts here

http://www.upperhost.com/

The only thing i can see right away is no mention of speed caps... If anything, we can always host pics offsite and just have text and site coding (which could be optimized immencely from what i've heard)... at most that's be about 1mb per page of a full thread..

Idk, just my two cents..

Or else, ya kno, get Google Adsense Ads on the site.... it's quiet literally 1 cent for every view, and I'm fairly sure we got 8,000 views a month... and God knows any user that knows the money from said ads goes straight to the support of the site wont mind them...

Like everybody above I would love to run the site even back on the old forum when I didn't have an account. Its always been my dream. But as I do not have the money, I cannot fund it in any way. Would still desperately like to become a mod though. I might be able to donate whenever I can though

This is the last time I'm saying this: I can fund the site. I'm not a staff, but I know how does the site works in the back. I'm offering you my help. I have worked for the past 3 years and have made my own decent amount of money. If you guys feel that I shouldn't run the site, then I will not insist anymore.

- Emperor Doggy I

This is the last time I'm saying this: I can fund the site. I'm not a staff, but I know how does the site works in the back. I'm offering you my help. I have worked for the past 3 years and have made my own decent amount of money. If you guys feel that I shouldn't run the site, then I will not insist anymore.

- Emperor Doggy I

I dont think you should triple post this, that will probably deny this app right away

I'm a bit worried if the ones applying know, what a huge work and responsibility it is to run such a site... I've made my own experience as a web administrator including a phpBB board. In such a big community, its not only about the technical things, also a lot of leader abilities are needed. Not everyone is able, to delegate work properly.

I'm just very surprised, that you make such an open thread here to apply. I think, someone for such a huge responsibility should be chosen by the current staff very very carefully. He should also be informed very detailed, what's going on here and what he has to expect.

Please choose carefully! I'm seriously worried, that some *whatever* is gonna claim he is the super hero in web administration, but will then actually have no clue. I personally trust and respect 2 or 3 of the people that applied here enough for such a job, but is everyone of them really knowing, how this whole thing here works?

PS: I pay for my hoster 80$ a year ;) However, I'm not sure if it could handle all the mysql accesses like here once a new map pack comes out :)

Okay here are my thoughts on it.

I agree with Eye. I think the only people who should be eligible to take on this role are admins, moderators, dwellers, and maybe a select few other members. Other than those people, I don't think anyone else should have the job. I noticed AlphaSnake's name wasn't mentioned, but I assume you would have talked to him already about it?

Please choose carefully! I'm seriously worried, that some *whatever* is gonna claim he is the super hero in web administration, but will then actually have no clue. I personally trust and respect 2 or 3 of the people that applied here enough for such a job, but is everyone of them really knowing, how this whole thing here works?

This. I feel like if just anyone applies, they'll get it, but than not want to do it anymore.

About the ad thing, I'm don't know much about it, but can you actually choose where it goes, and how big it is? It seems ads are the only way to go so far, but I think I'd only like it if it was not that noticeable.

Have you tried talking to Affiliates, or Treyarch even? Maybe they could even help out.