User Menu

Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Forum Menu

More Staff Online

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Sign in to follow this  
MegaAfroMan

-------CoDz User Manual-------

CoDz User Manual

Preface

The code of conduct, which states all the rules and guide lines of the forum can be found in just about every forum section, usually located near the top of the page. It can also be found by clicking User Control Panel and then selecting front page on the options box on the left hand side of the page. If you cannot select it, it is very likely already selected. I believe it is the default selection when you go into the User Control Panel. Please read the code of conduct. It really is not very long, and of course the general rule is be nice, but you should still read it just because it will not kill you. Not reading it could (virtually) end your life (in CoDz), as not following the rules could end up getting you banned. No one wants that. So, now that the boring legal stuff is out of the way onto the rest of the guide!

Now anyways, the board index itself is a very useful tool. It can link you to several more specific parts of the forum, or it can send you to other related sites, in which the forum is associated (such as the youtube account or twitter account.) If the section is written in plain white text it will send you off the forum, where if the text is red colored it will send you somewhere within the forum. This only applies to the section links on the Board Index! So do not panic if you later see a thread in the General Zombie Discussion section with white text. I believe they are supposed to do that after you have read them until something new pops up, but that does not seem to work currently the way it I thought it would. I prefer the red anyways.

Further down you will see the "who is online" box, this is pretty self explanatory, it will tell you what users are online, how many guests are viewing the site, and as a fun fact it also will tell you the stats for the most users ever online, which is currently at 330 on Wed May 04, 2011. All of the information in this paragraph should be visible on the first few lines in the box. Further down you should see a list of the current users who are online, and then below that you will see the list of all users who have been active over the last 24 hours. Clicking on any of these names will send you to that users profile. I will cover profiles later. On the bottom of the box you will see the Legend, which tells you what the colors mean. I will also tell you what the titles mean, but this is a nice quick reference. I do not know the colors by heart. I can not even tell some of them apart to be honest.

Directly underneath the "birthdays" box is the "statistics" box, which lists some nice information if you are the kind of person that loves useless knowledge. Some things you can find are, total posts, total topics, total members, our newest member (the newest users name will appear next to it) and it will also tell you how many new posts, new topics, and new users, have joined and/or been created in the last 24 hours.

This section of your users manual will try to cover things about PMs, and all the little button like things that keep following you everywhere.

[CoDz home] is the very first button, and clicking it will take you to the homepage. NOT THE BOARD INDEX! The homepage. That really is it.

[User Control Panel] is the third button. This button actually does a lot, but it basically sends to to the "User Control Panel". This has its own section. Directly following this one actually.

[x New Messages] is the next button, and at quick glance it can tell you if you have any new messages. This can be really quite exciting. Messaging will be covered later.

[FAQ] takes you to a Frequently Asked Questions section, with a lot of questions, that can be answered by just clicking on the question that is closest to your own. It probably is a lot quicker than trying to read this entire guide actually... BUT I LOCKED THE DOOR! Looks like you're stuck with me for the time being. So keep moving!

I have one more for you.... If you push this button, someone, somewhere in the world, someone you don't know, will die, and you will then receive a payment of one million dollars, tax free...... Don't push it. Really. C'mon.

You will find yourself in the INBOX!!!! This is where you can see messages sent to you, and the .... OUTBOX!!!!! is where you can see messages that are in the process of sending. If you accidentally sent something, you might be able to catch it here before it sends. You can also click "sent messages" to view your sent messages. "manage PM drafts" lets you manage messages which you saved to drafts instead of submitting. For the purposes of using coding to include videos and pictures I shall give you this link! --- viewtopic.php?f=42&t=18806&hilit=+FAQ --- Either that or else I would pretty much copy what was there anyhow, so instead I think he deserves credit. See? I'm not mean..... usually...

You should be looking at the "front page". You should see "Important announcements" and under it the CODE OF CONDUCT. Directly underneath that is the "your activity section", which says when you joined, total posts, most active forum, and most active topic. Further down you will see "recent reputation points" which will tell you who gave you brains, and what post they gave them to. It can be nice to see sometimes. This is how people know if you give them brains or not. You cannot hide the truth!

Manage subscriptions and manage bookmarks show you posts you have subscribed to and/or bookmarked. You can do either of these by looking above the box which contains the thread/topic you wish to bookmark/subscribe to and looking for to button that says "Bookmark topic" or "subscribe topic". Both are nice, I think I would use bookmark more, as older threads tend to get lost.

Now if you select "profile" instead of "Overview", more options will pop up! Yay. I will cover profiles later. Just keep reading and you'll hit it eventually.

Selecting edit global settings will bring up a sort of list with yes/no bubbles next to a few questions about settings and what not. Some try to trick you and use drop-down boxes instead. Good luck.

"Private messages" also can be selected. This will be covered in a different section as well to keep this one shorter. Ah budget cuts....

"Friends & Foes" Finally we are almost done with this awful options box! Friends and foes are two groups you can chose to add other users to for sake of convenience. It will tell you when they are online and may even highlight their posts for you. How nice...

This section is going to mostly talk about profiles. More specifically the following, how to edit your profile, how to view other profiles, what is reputation, and who the mods are.

Rep is based on brains. Brains are something you give or receive on particularly good posts. You can give others brains by clicking on the little green thumbs up icon in the upper right corner of any particular post or reply. You are limited to how many brains you can give to a single person, during a certain time frame, or even in a specific thread I think. It will tell you what the issue is in someway.

Now onto Profiles!!!! yeah! Woohoo! yeaah.. woo.. Moving on. First we shall look at how to edit your profile.

Do not panic. Now, "Edit profile" should be the default selected, if it is not already selected for you, please select it or else the next paragraph will not make much sense at all. You should see various text boxes to fill in and a few drop boxes to chose answers from and one yes/no bubbly thing to click. (I highly recommend answering "No" to that bubbly thing...) Fill them out as you please.

"Edit Avatar" will allow you to add, or change the picture that appears under your name when you post. This actually posed some problems for me, as the pictures have to be somewhat small, so I recommend finding pictures by using google, selecting images, typing in what you want, and then selecting "icon" on the left side under the ANY SIZE thing. Good luck. Some people have really cool pics. Have fun with it, but remember the CODE OF CONDUCT.

Also a note on getting into a user group. Most user groups require you to be nominated, except for the skill groups and zombshes. - viewtopic.php?f=42&t=14392 - here is where you need to go to apply for one of the 4 skill groups. As for any other groups, PM an Admin(Currently, Covert Gunman, AlphaSnake and the Founder Carbonfibah), or ask the CM (currently Faust). Here is a thread that talks about joining groups, but it is quite old -http://callofdutyzombies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4 - ... CovertGunman seems to be the most active Admin currently so try him first. COVERT IF YOU DISAGREE I KNOW YOU CAN EDIT THIS. So chances are, if you are reading this, he agrees.

Speaking of the Admins. The last thing I want to cover in this section is the staff groups here at CoDz.

So Staff groups are as follows PS3 Ambassador, Dwellers (which are a dark gray), Moderators, Community Manager, Admins, and

THE FOUNDER CARBONFIBAH!!!!, which is actually the same color as the Admins. He pays for all of this. So here, he deserves a more, unique, user group coloration.

Well that about wraps up this section. Now onto those Forum Sections we heard about so very long ago!

Forum Sections

We shall start with the Homepage! On the homepage you will see some youtube videos posted about zombie origins, in an interview with the zombie developers. And near the top of the page will be some neat little drop down windows with cool links. Click to see where they go...

It's time for, Introductions!!! Here is where you can (and should!) make a post introducing yourself to the other members of this fine forum. Prepare to be bombarded with cheerful greetings and helpful words. Occasionally members may post here if they are returning from a long period of being away. Other times they post else where. Depends on the person I suppose. INTRODUCE YOURSELF!

Carbonfibah's Twitter & CoDz Twitter, are links to .... Twitter! Specifically to each of the groups/persons listed above. The CoDz Twitter is a good place to check for news if the site goes down.

General Zombie Discussion will be covered last as it is one of the broadest sections and has slightly more to be covered.

Treyarch & Infinity Ward are the next two sections, in these two you will find posts more related to the companies and games themselves. Stuff that is multiplayer or campaign related will be found here. You will probably see BlackOps2 wish lists, and other such discussions going on in these sections. A fair amount of good information can be gained here. Keep in mind that just clicking either will send you to the Generic forum, and then there are specific sub forums for individual games (World at War, MW2...) which you can find at the top of the page.

Media Center. In there you can find things from cool pictures, to videos of some of our legendary zombie slayers, to links for downloading all the sound files from black ops zombies. It really is a neat forum to spend some time in.

Zombie Stories is a section for the creative to write and the readers to read. It is more meant for creative, unique stories than actual representations of the CoD zombie Story line. Some of these are really great, and are a nice way to spend some time. If you feel creative go ahead and write your own!

Console Discussion & Questions, Suggestions, Issues, the console discussion section will have you pick a sub-forum to go in and in these forums it is sort of an off topic but with the required topic of involving which ever console's thread you are in.

In Questions, Suggestions, Issues, you can find various help threads about how to do certain things (relating to this site!!) that you may not know how to do, and in Suggestions, you may post a suggestion to the management on how to improve the site. Small things or big things, any size at all can be posted here for the management to take into consideration. Issues just covers technical issues and does its best to help you fix them, however if you are having issues opening issues, then you are in trouble....

Inside the General Zombie Forum, there are not one, not two, but three sub forums!!! Valued at 115$ this whole set can be yours today for just one easy payment of 9.35$ Call now at 1-Maj-est-ic12 that is 1-625-378-4212!

Well, our time together is coming to a close, and I would like to say thank you very much for taking the time to have read this guide, and thank you to Ehjookayted, and Covert Gunman, for helping with the revisions of this guide, thank you again guys. Hopefully after reading this you will be able to make CoDz more more enjoyable for yourself, and perhaps even if you have been here for awhile, you will leave here having learned something new. Perhaps. It has been fun writing this, and I will probably service this post with updates as quickly as I can do so. If you ever see me online, feel free to PM me. I will happily answer any question, or even just have a chat.

Until then, I hope you enjoy this site as much as I have come to.

Sincerely,

MegaAfroMan

Donor

Wow.

[brains]

Donor

One of the best threads I have ever seen, so detailed and so brilliant. I'm honored to say that I was able to help in the least bit of ways.

Great job, man. [brains]

I have to spread my reputation points a little bit first, but you can bet that I will be coming back. 8-)

Awesome job! All i can really say is that some hyperlinks in some of the highlighted text (i.e. the "CoC" text in red links to the actual CoC)

Other then that, good job! +1

Awesome job! All i can really say is that some hyperlinks in some of the highlighted text (i.e. the "CoC" text in red links to the actual CoC)

Other then that, good job! +1

Perhaps I will go through and add some then when I have time later.

Thank you to everyone who commented, seeing as so far it has only been positive.

Feel free to post concerns or suggestions about what I can do to make this even better. The more helpful this guide can be to all users (both new and old) the better.

EDIT***: Sorry It wasn't included originally, but now the following hyperlinks are included: Code of conduct, User control panel, Every forum section link on the index page, and links to the three zombie theory boards inside the General Zombie Discussion section. I believe they all should be in working order!

Lots and lots!

Awesome job - wonder if you could include some kind of Conents shortcut buttons?

So much scrolling down lol,

Nice job - very informative!

[brains]

I thought about it, perhaps I will put in a similar table of contents/ ctrl F feature that I have seen others use. I will look into that.

Lots and lots!

Awesome job - wonder if you could include some kind of Conents shortcut buttons?

So much scrolling down lol,

Nice job - very informative!

[brains]

I thought about it, perhaps I will put in a similar table of contents/ ctrl F feature that I have seen others use. I will look into that.

There are always spoilers, which save ALOT of space.

Damn, how long did you work on this? I think this is up there with Ehjookayted's work. With this, plus the 115 playdate, I think you may be due for UotM. :D

This actually only took about two days and 7 straight hours of typing, and verifying simultaneously. And then the next day consisted of about 6 hours of editing to add colors and photos and what not.

I am really nervous for the 115 day thing. I want to make it run smoothly, but with time zone issues and the unpredictability of people, I still feel like it will all fall apart. But hey, I am trying my best, and I think that matters. At least to me it does.

User of the month huh? Well if you feel that way I will not turn it down, but I am sure there are others who do/ will deserve it more than I do at this time. Besides, the month isn't even halfway over yet! Who knows? Someone may have more things in store for us here at CoDz. The only award I need for my work is to see the "views" number go up.

Guide has been updated to include the new strategy sections!

(I had forgotten how long this guide is... :lol: took forever to find the spot I wanted to edit.)

I know. That is going to be such a pain. I have to get all new pics, and there are already enough changes with the current set up that when we implement all of the new stuff, almost everything here will be useless :lol: I'll give it my best shot though to make it work, because I want this guide (and it's replacements) to be able to help people.

Donor

Good luck updating it when the new theme comes :lol:

I feel bad for you Afro, it's almost like you're going to have to make a complete new thread. At least you've got some of the base text to work off of. At most, you'll only be replacing all the images, editing a couple of paragraphs, editing the colours perhaps, and removing/adding new paragraphs entirely. That actually isn't much!

OT: Look at how old these images are! January 11th, 9100 members exactly back than.

Your post and brains count Afro! Back when Faust was CM, PS3 Ambassadors existed, Eye was UOTM, and before you and him became Dwellers! :lol:

Donor

If you want I would be glad to help you get screenshots and edit text. :) I could also cover the medals if you are not doing that already.