NML: Taking the luck out of a 90 second PaP (with video)

Hey guys, been playing a bit of No Man's Land lately, not to go for a higher kill record but rather to perfect my starting strategy. Not sure if I'm the first person to use this strategy, but I've come up with something which gives pretty consistent chances of PaPing the M1911 in about 90 seconds, and will take the need for good luck out of everything that happens after the first siren.

I've also included a video to demonstrate the strategy.

So to start with, you'll want to make at least 1670 points (9 kills or more) before the 1st siren.

As soon as you hear the 1st siren, haul ass to the teleporter pad. Turn and throw a grenade out where the zombies are spawning to get a few extra kills, as you won't need this grenade later.

You'll get a few loose zombies coming to the teleporter pad first - double knife them all or shoot them with 5-6 pistol shots before knifing, making sure to have a few zombies lined up for collateral damage and more points.

Keep double knifing where safe until a nice group is coming up the stairs. You may possibly get a dog to knife, but most of the time you won't.

You'll now want to start emptying all of your pistol ammo into the group, staying on the teleporter pad and gathering them as they come up the stairs, then shooting at safe points. Let the 2nd siren pass you by as you carry on using all of your ammo.

At the 3rd siren you'll want to start cooking your first grenade. You'll need to aim the throw so that all crawlers from the grenade are positioned at the top of the stairs. Bouncing the grenade off of one of the front walls next to the stairs ('back-fragging') is a great way to do this.

Knife any remaining walkers and crawlers. You might get the odd couple of 2-knife kills but they will mostly require a single knife. As you're on the teleporter pad, any new zombies spawning in will take some time getting to you, so you'll easily have time to knife all of the crawlers and make the money to PaP, most of the time with some to spare.

If done right you'll have the points to PaP at around the 4th siren, which more or less marks 90 seconds :D

Here's a video demonstrating the strategy. As you'll see at the end, I still had some crawlers left over which I could have knifed to make about an extra 1000 points, and I still had plenty of time to do so, so you can easily make extra points on top of the PaP points to help towards getting Juggernog quicker if you get a good spawn at the start.

XPdgURzcDIM

Once you get the Mustang & Sally back out of the PaP, I'd recommend getting back to the telepad again. Saving ammo for later if you're going for a high kill record is vital, and this strategy will see you using just about 4 shots to get you Jugg points.

Gather a full group at the pad, fire 1 shot into them, run around them and fire another shot when your health recovers. This should take out the whole group. May leave a crawler or 2, which can almost always be single-knifed for a kill.

Gather another group and do the same thing.

And that's about it. As I said, takes away the normal need for good luck out of making points for the essentials without sacrificing precious time and ammo.

Also a lot easier than using the whole NML area, due to the fact that all of the zombies come from one direction, and those pesky dogs that always screw you over when trying to equip yourself will more or less be taken out of the equation.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Tom ;) I think this whole strategy stemmed from the fact that most players find it easier to run the teleporter area than the main area, myself included mainly due to there being no pain-in-the-ass dogs. I tried the usual 'horde, grenade, horde, grenade strategy there but of course that was too slow. After experimenting with the timing of the grenades and the amount of shots before each one, I realised that I was making a lot more points quicker by shooting more shots before the first grenade. This would of course apply to the main area, the problem being that you'll get a lot of crawlers and it's vital to knife a lot of them to make up the points, which wouldn't be possible in the main area as you'd have dogs spawning on you as soon as the grenade went off. So I then started using the first grenade to get a few extra kills before the hording on the telepad started and I found myself getting a 90 scond PaP about 8 times out of 10 if I got a good spawn and 9 or more kills before the 1st siren.

I was doing NML a bunch earlier. The time I finally achieved getting both Mustang and Sally and Jugg, I had a really good starting spawn. 15 kills by the first buzzer. Roughly 3500 points after spamming 1911 ammo, First grenade dropped a few crawlers, but killed enough to bring my points up to around 4000. Knifed a few crawlers and had a few left, but I used my second grenade to break 5000 points and upgrade. I got M&S a few times, but the first time I died from them, and another time I realized Speed Cola spawned instead of Jugg so I restarted.

It was kinda weird. I had a full spawn, then killed a single crawler and a new zombie AND a dog will spawn after its death.

It was kinda weird. I had a full spawn, then killed a single crawler and a new zombie AND a dog will spawn after its death.

This is a main reason why I prefer the teleporter pad strategy that I've come up with here - dogs won't spawn while you're up there and it's just a lot easier to keep everything under control. I also love the reliability of it, everything you do will be on the mark of a siren - the first siren you should be up on the telepad and have a grenade at the ready to throw out and make an important extra few points. Second siren, stop knifing and start emptying all of your pistol ammo. Third siren, throw your last grenade and knife any survivors. Fourth siren, 90 seconds in and all grenade survivors should have been killed and given you 5000+ points... time to PaP :D As it's basically the same thing each time it's something you can practice and perfect, as you know exactly what to expect after a while.

I've also found it beneficial if you get a really nice spawn of 2k points or more, to not throw out that first grenade and save it for AFTER you've PaP'd. Once you've gathered your horde, use the grenade to make extra points and save yourself a shot or two of M&S ammo, which could make all the difference later on ;)

I'm surprised you PAP so fast in your video, while still basically wasting your first nade. I've tried this strategy a couple times myself, and didn't have nearly as much success with it as you demo'd.

I think my biggest problem right now is scoring big with my nades up on the teleporter pad. I'm just not good at getting all the zombies to be in the blast radius when I throw nades up there.

The PS3 player are going to have trouble with this because it seems like the zombies on PS3 reach farther than the ones on XBOX/PC, well on my opnion, also, the zombies when I play never spawn that fast, on Co-op or solo, when I saw the zombies spawn on your video I was like "WTF !?" the farthest I have gotten on points on solo or co-op is 1900, :facepalm: or maybe my copy of black ops if F'd up :|

But great strategy though, going to see if it works for me :)

Regards Yellow-card8

The trick of this strategy is, that he goes up on the teleporter. The zombies will come in quite delayed there. To get even less zombies at a time up there, he throws the first nade at only 3 zombies [imho not primary to get additional kills, as you say]. Like so, he can avoid them coming up there instantly. So he gets only 1-2 zombies at a time for about 10-20 seconds. That gives him enough time, to finish many zombies with the knife up there, before he actually starts to kite. If he gives those first few zombies in round 2 like 5 shots + knife, and that with 5 or 6 zombies, he gets another 1000 points, pretty awesome.

It feels like you need double luck for that. Not only an awesome zombie spawn in round 1, also a super delayed zombie spawn in round 2 [many, but not too many coming from the very far side of the teleporter].

I guess the tricky part is then later, not to go down while getting the train ready up there. But the real tricky part for me seems to place the second nade so super awesome, that you make everybody a crawler, which you then can finish easily with the knife. But once this done, you've done everything. Just collect the points with knifing.

This looks to me quite optimal and perfect. Will try that once I start my BO again ;)

Seems some people are struggling with this, I'll try and give some extra tips. It does take a little practice as with any strategy, but once you get used to it you'll get really consistant with it. I got used to it after a couple of hours, and a fair bit of that time was spent devising the strategy in the first place with a bit of trial-and-error :lol: .

I think it's only really important to get 3 shoot-and-knife kills after the 1st siren, which is easily done in most cases cuz you'll always get a few loose zombies coming up first - if you throw the first grenade out at the beginning this will really help.

As for getting all of the zombies within blast radius.. just study what I do pretty closely. Once I've gathered my group I start circling counter-clockwise and shooting. I'm normally out of ammo a few seconds before the 3rd siren goes off. I just carry on circling. When the 3rd siren sounds, I start to cook the grenade just as I walk over the teleporter, cooking it for a couple of seconds and slowly walking towards Juggernog. It's the cooking of the grenade that's the important part, and walking slowly to keep the group close behind. Then I bounce the nade off the wall about a second before it blows up and run over to the other side to avoid the explosion. If done like this then the group will be nice and tight and will run directly over the grenade when it blows up.

I'd say that's the only part of timing things right. As long as you do things according to the sirens then a 90 second PaP is almost automatic.

The PS3 player are going to have trouble with this because it seems like the zombies on PS3 reach farther than the ones on XBOX/PC, well on my opnion, also, the zombies when I play never spawn that fast, on Co-op or solo, when I saw the zombies spawn on your video I was like "WTF !?" the farthest I have gotten on points on solo or co-op is 1900, :facepalm: or maybe my copy of black ops if F'd up :|

I've also done this on my friend's PS3 a few times, wasn't necessarily any harder. In general I've never really noticed more hits on the PS3 than I have on the Xbox or PC.

As for spawning, you can make do with 1670 points so you don't need an amazing spawn. As you see at the end I had about 7-8 zombies left which would have made me an extra 1000 points if I'd bothered to knife them all. So really I could have made 5000 points by getting just 5 kills at the start rather than the 13 kills I got at the start here. Not to mention that if it was a bad spawn then I would have had big groups of them dropping off the sides, so could have gotten 5+ kills when throwing out the first grenade which would have gotten me an extra few hundred.

I've tried this about 20 times before I rage quitted. Either a dog will spawn and ruin everything for me OR I won't be able to get all the zombies into crawlers with that one 'nade. :facepalm:

If you're getting dogs spawning in then you're not getting to the telepad quick enough. I'd say after the buzzer sounds to signify the teleporter being open, you've got about 8 seconds to finish killing and get to the telepad to stop any dogs coming in. If you don't struggle with the rest of it then you've basically got it nailed, just gotta work on the nade timing.

Just done some more testing - I think the key is to have 2500 points racked up by the time the 2nd siren sounds, which is easily done if you get a decent spawn, can normally be done with 3 shoot-knife kills after the 1st siren if the spawn is good. If you make that happen then you're halfway home, just make sure all the rest of your pistol shots make contact and that you get the zombies in blast radius of the grenade, then just clear up any survivors to get the points.

Also important to get that grenade out as quickly as possible after the 3rd siren, so you have time to knife all of your crawlers to make up the PaP points before more zombies start reaching you.

Of course, 2500 is just a recomended amount, you can still get the PaP points from making a little less than the 2500. But if you can get that amount then you're pretty much guaranteed so long as you don't go down and get everything on target.

Super can I ask how many kills you have once you PAP?

I played a lot last night and realised a few things. I had 4 plus 200 games before my 300, including a 270 with 21 bullets left :(

I slowed down my PAP time to ensure that I had 40 kills on PAP plus a big group of crawlers. 1 shot from the M&S was then getting me to 55 or so kills. Make sure (which in my video I didn't do!) that you get rid of the entire spawn, including crawlers before getting Juggs. Doing this was consistently getting me 90 kills with Juggs under or around the 3 minute mark.

The more I play NML the more it gives me to think about!

Good to see you broke 300 kills! Still haven't gotten round to attempting to break my own kill record yet but definately will do at some point. I've actually been working on a 300+ kill tactic for the teleporter-pad strategy, everything has to be intricately timed but I think I could possibly be the 2nd person in the world to hit 300 kills or more using the telepad strategy, MatoMaster being the first and only as far as I know (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

As for how many kills I get before the PaP... I'd say I average about 35, depending on the spawn and also on the first grenade. Most I've gotten is 41. If I'm going for a larger amount I find it beneficial to save the first grenade, shoot-knife a few zombies while gathering them, then start cooking a grenade about 9-10 second after the first siren has gone off and throw it into the pack, netting me somewhere between 5-10 kills. Then just carry on the strategy as normal. As long as you get the grenade out no later than that then everything still falls nicely into place. I normally average about 85 kills by the time I've gotten Jugg with 4 M&S bullets, more depending on the spawn, a 2k+ point spawn netting around 90.

I used your teleporter strategy to break my record the other day. Got up to 225 kills. Before that the most I had gotten was 183, and usually averaged about 150 kills before running out of ammo. My old technique just took way too long, rendering the M&S more or less useless eventually. Speed is definitely the key on NML. After seeing Chopper's technique for hording once he has M&S and Jugg, hopefully I'll be breaking that soon.