Choppers Solo speed guide to Kino - updated with video

Chopper

Hey Guys.

Recently I have been playing some old school Kino. Eye gave me the hint of an idea regarding using the lobby for hoarding and I expanded it. This enables getting to 30 in 50 minutes, and 50 within 2 and a half hours.

One of the biggest issues with anywhere apart from the alley is the slow speed of the nova zombies. Who hasn't collected a big hoard in a great time and then had to wait for 4 Nova Zombies to take their sweet time to arrive.

The alley is possibly the fastest way but I think this comes damn close. It requires careful consideration to zombies per round.

The techniques - circle kiting, large and small crescents and cutbacks.

The equipment - M&S, Thundergun, MPL.

The perks - Juggs, Speed, QR and Mule Kick.

Doors - all open except the top door of the lobby.

Others - know when the dogs are next coming (4 rounds after the last set), knowing roughly how many full hoards are required to end a round. See this brilliant chart from our own Way2g00 - viewtopic.php?f=53&t=18006

How we start.

Round 1 - stab all zombies, reboard the max.

Round 2 - stab all zombies, make sure the last zombie killed is behind a window, reboard the max.

Round 3 - if you have followed this the first zombie killed outside will leave a drop. Shoot 8 bullets into each zombie upper chest and then stab once or twice. Try and get as many as you can behind the windows. When there is a breach stab the first zombie twice and then shoot twice. Take any drop except nuke. Open bottom door, get MPL.

We are not rushing for the Bowie here. The longer you stay in the MPL room the quicker the rounds will go. If you can last to the 2nd dogs for instance you are a better man than me, and it will be quicker. Ammo and clip size is generally an issue though, so leave if there is any danger. Headshots are king.

Round 4 - 7/8 ish (when you get overrun. Stand in middle of MPL room, keep the windows clear and your aim at head height. For dogs most of the time they come from the lobby, they are very easy with the MPL aimed there.

Round 7/8 to 2nd dogs. Get the power on, always keep moving. Buy Juggs, buy the Bowie if you wish. There is a good argument for not buying it but I like the OHK until round 9.

Only buy Juggs!

Find where the box is, on the second dogs haul arse to it. If you are lucky and it's on the stage keep hitting it mid round. If not wait for the dogs. You are aiming to hit it until you get the Thundergun or it moves. I find around 50% of the time I will get it before it moves. Don't chase the box though, just kill the dogs.

If you do not have it yet just keep working through rounds, when you only have a small group left go hit the box a couple of times. You need the Thundergun!

Once you get it get QR and M&S ASAP, M&S is your only way of making points at the minute, until we can afford Mule Kick. The reason to PAP first is simply because it's quicker. Getting Mule Kick and another gun, and then earning enough points for M&S will take too much time, only 5-10 minutes or so but this is a speed run.

Round ? to 50.

Zombie numbers - assume you have the Thunder from round 12, and M&S. Dogs was 11.

12 - 37 zombies

13 - 39

14 - 41

15 - 44

16 - dogs.

17 - 50

18 - 53

19 - 56

20 - 60

21 - dogs.

22 - 67

23 - 71

24 - 75

25 - 80

26 - dogs.

27 - 89

28 - 94

29 - 99

30 - 104

31 - dogs.

The hoarding begins. The main area you will be hoarding is the bottom of the lobby, between the receiver pad and the window in the corner. You will be running a counter clockwise circle, jumping any crawlers. I will put a video up of this, but my PC died today. I'm going to try and fix it tomorrow to get this up ASAP. I have the footage, just no editing means.

It is more simple than it seems. Once you have gathered 10 zombies or so you are pretty safe.

Zombies are coming from 4 main places....the stairs, the 2 windows and the area to the lobby. Unless there are say 5, side by side none of the areas are going to be blocked enough to not be able to find a space to squeeze through. The screen shake can really help for those brown trouser moments.

You have great vantage of the area, and there are normally gaps that most capable kiters can get through. As the top door is blocked the only zombies coming from the opposite stairs are occasional novas, which are easily jumped if required. Any zombies coming from the QR window can easily be negotiated by continuing the circle the majority of the time. If you can't turn back towards the left hand stairs as part of the circle head towards the other stairs, trying to stay as high as possible. You are trying to quickly get all zombies heading towards those stairs. You can hop up them a bit, pause, move to the left and then escape down the left hand side towards QR, before sprinting towards the corner window.

Even if there are 3 coming out of QR window they can be dodged fairly easily, just by waiting in the right spot.

Finish this as a crescent kite heading ASAP towards the other stairs, and very quickly you have a tight group. Before level 25 as long as you have around 18-20 zombies kill them, don't wait for the slow gas crawlers. Ammo from just the Thunder is sufficient until 20 using this method. Past 20 as soon as you only have 2 shots left take out your M&S. Group them, head up the QR stairs and unleash your grenade firing pistols, 4 shots will work up to 25 or so, 6 up to 30. As your killing method is gaining you both no points or drops most of the time you will get something. If ammo, fantastic. If not just continue with M&S until next dogs.

If you can't stay downstairs it's not the end of the world. Head to the QR stairs and go up them as slowly as you can, diagonal zig zags going up are very effective. When you are at the top go to the right and wait at the closed door. Escape at the last minute along past the box location, but move as slowly as possible. Try and peer down into the lobby as you move. It's hard to explain this part but you need to see if they are going to follow the group or if you have gone past the 1/2 way point and they are heading towards the other stairs, by the corner window. Even if they are they will always be on the left hand side coming up if you are looking down....a sprint will get past even 3 or 4. Any novas can be jumped over.

After 25 you can start waiting for an entire group. Levels 26 - 29 can be completed in 12 Thundergun shots plus 4 sets of M&S....use 3 Thunders for the first hoards and then M&S.

Once at 30 PAP Thundergun. If all has gone well you are going to be at around 50 minutes. Each full hoard past 25 takes around 35 seconds to collect and be rid of, say 45 seconds at most...it's important to not stress too much about leaving a nova or 2 out, you have sufficient M&S even if you aren't completely maximising your kills. Leaving 2 out can save maybe 7 seconds sometimes.

New numbers -

30 - 104 zombies, 4.33 Thunders required.

31 - 109, 4.54

32 - 115, 4.79

33 - 120, 5

34 - 125, 5.25

35 - 132, 5.5

36 - 138, 5.7

37 - 145, 6.04

I'll stop here and explain something quickly. Whilst it takes less than 6 shots per round to kill all zombies your ammo is fine. Gun has 4 + 24. Always exclude the 4, they are emergency and don't refill anyway. So 24/4 is 6 shots per round until new dogs.

Round 38 until 41, around 7 shots. If you have been extremely effecient you can be brave and use the Thunder exclusively here too...28 shots, 7 shots per round. Otherwise you can choose to use your M&S for the additional hoard (say 10 shots max to kill a group) or use the firepit trap.

42 - 179 - 7.46

43 - 186 - 7.75

44 - 194 - 8.08

45 - 201 - 8.38

46 - 209 - 8.71

47 - 217 - 9.04

48 - 225 - 9.38

49 - 234 - 9.75

50 - who cares!

Past round 35 the zombies are about as fast as they can be. Now it takes on average around 30-35 seconds consistently to complete a hoard. Dogs take around 70 seconds including round completion.

Past round 42 - what to do? You have a few options. You can use traps, you can use your M&S to try for drops (nukes equate to a hoard, insta kill the same. Ammo is unbelievable.

This strategy will get you no points. But a full MPL into a high round round will net you 3600 points (excluding the clip). If you use the firepit ammo is a breeze. The good thing about the firepit is that you can get some extra kills after your initial hoard from any that come from the alley or MPL door.

I really hope this helps some people out. I have never seen or heard of anyone using this particular strategy. Relaxing using something similar...he basically uses the escape that I have set out. I myself love a good circle/box kite!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cycling the Thunder takes time, more than I'd care to take on a speed run to 50. Mule Kick would be essential for my particular method. If I was going for a higher run than 50 I would take doubletap for sure....probably over speed cola. Doubletap is more likely to save my life than speedy on really high rounds.

I've seen only a little of what Relaxing did.....he seemed to use the entire lobby where as I only use the bottom. It's quicker using just the bottom....walking up the stairs, slowly across the top and then down takes longer than I wanted for a speed run.

Nice work.

I'm just waiting for the video :) I hardly ever play Kino, so I cannot imagine it too well :D

The most important things for speed runs are imho to circle at a spot, where the zombies spawn quickly. This will pretty much lead in small circles. The trick is to find a spot and technic, that is also safe. So I really like to see the vid ;)

I especially like your thunder gun ammo thoughts.

Me myself likes to have the option to pap it, in case it gets empty. So I try to keep the downgraded thunder as long as I can, using already traps even in e.g. 32, when i know, that next will be a free ammo round.

But after I read your guide, I guess there is no point in doing so.

I like speed runs in Ascension better, just cause of the extra 3 full-wave-with-drop-option-insta-killers (also known as gersh device).

Very interesting guide mate, lobby is definately the way to go for speed runs. [brains]

I like speed runs in Ascension better, just cause of the extra 3 full-wave-with-drop-option-insta-killers (also known as gersh device).

I prefer speed runs on Moon for the same reason, obviously though you can always make it a Max Ammo. Staminup room in Tunnel 11 is great for doing this, you can normally reach 50 in about 3 hours.

Thanks Super and Tom. Rewatching the videos I realised there is more to it than a simple circle, but the video will make it all clear.

I managed to restore my computer last night, finally. I am currently copying an entire 1.5TB back onto it, then I need to reinstall vegas pro. I'll try and do an edit tonight and then upload tomorrow. The net here is 400 down, 200 up. No idea how long it's going to take to upload a video!

• 2 weeks later...

Video now complete.

The video shows the true tactic for the higher rounds....you generally only circle once before starting the crescent shape. I tried to show a couple of escape options and how to get trapped....if in doubt just go up the stairs or it will cost you a couple of Zeus shots.

I hope someone gets something from this :)

z0aYiPEeDy0

How to get to round 100 using this basic strategy.

Basically spend the first 30-35 rounds building points. MP40 until about round 15 (when you can shoot them a couple of time and then stab).

Get any AR or LMG from the box. By round 22 get the HK. Use all the HK ammo and then your M&S to complete rounds until ammo or dogs. PAP the HK anytime after round 25, after you have used all the ammo. Do not bother if dogs are next round. Use PAPed HK until round 35. Any round after dogs you should get ammo, make sure if you use all the ammo you finish rounds with M&S.

By round 35 you are going to have plus 200,000 points. On 29 last night I had 130,000.

You want a point cushion as you are not going to make any points (or hardly any) from the ThunderGun.

Once past 50 stop worrying about your ammo so much, but use the chart to work out how many shots each new round is going to take. Know when dogs are. If you are 2 rounds or more off dogs with 4 or less shots remaining reroll the box. Otherwise use traps.....hoard in lobby, use lobby trap. Hoard on stage for 15 seconds, run back through trap. This will take out nearly 2 hoards. Hoard in lobby again then use firepit trap....if you have monkeys throw it into firepit as your hoard is fried. It's a bit risky getting back to the lobby but can be done in my opinion 99/100.

Only use these 2 traps, the rest take much too long and the simple loop is cut off by the top door being shut in the lobby.

Be prepared to spend a lot of time doing this. It is however the quickest way.

• 3 weeks later...

How to get to round 100 using this basic strategy.

Basically spend the first 30-35 rounds building points. MP40 until about round 15 (when you can shoot them a couple of time and then stab).

Get any AR or LMG from the box. By round 22 get the HK. Use all the HK ammo and then your M&S to complete rounds until ammo or dogs. PAP the HK anytime after round 25, after you have used all the ammo. Do not bother if dogs are next round. Use PAPed HK until round 35. Any round after dogs you should get ammo, make sure if you use all the ammo you finish rounds with M&S.

By round 35 you are going to have plus 200,000 points. On 29 last night I had 130,000.

You want a point cushion as you are not going to make any points (or hardly any) from the ThunderGun.

Once past 50 stop worrying about your ammo so much, but use the chart to work out how many shots each new round is going to take. Know when dogs are. If you are 2 rounds or more off dogs with 4 or less shots remaining reroll the box. Otherwise use traps.....hoard in lobby, use lobby trap. Hoard on stage for 15 seconds, run back through trap. This will take out nearly 2 hoards. Hoard in lobby again then use firepit trap....if you have monkeys throw it into firepit as your hoard is fried. It's a bit risky getting back to the lobby but can be done in my opinion 99/100.

Only use these 2 traps, the rest take much too long and the simple loop is cut off by the top door being shut in the lobby.

Be prepared to spend a lot of time doing this. It is however the quickest way.

This is so wrong. I got to round 40 with 236k using H115 for primary farming, Thunder Gun for Emergiences, and MP40 for Backup Farming. And i did it in 2hrs 30 mins.

MP40 only with Thunder Gun farms me 175k in 2 hrs.

Mind you all this and i wasn't picking up any drops (other than occasional 2x). And i was using traps all the way back from round 25.

Having MP40 in the Mule Kick slot allows me to farm without ever getting rid of the H115. Ensuring i spend less time trying to get it back from the box.

Either way I'd be bored shitless using the traps.

In summary if you want to get to 50 in 2 hours follow the original strat. If you want to get 200k in points by round 35 use my method, it will take around 2 hours. Wilmer claims to be at the same point on level 40 with 235k in points, in 30 minutes more. Take your pick. I can do level 35-40 in 20 minutes using the lobby so it's a toss up.

I just never saw the benefit in point-building up to round 30 or whatever. I normally just point-build up to about round 20, then start rounding them up and blasting them with the Thundergun. At that stage you'll never run out of ammo for it because of the dog rounds. You'll still have a lot of points by the 40+ rounds, and you can point-build with an SMG before using the traps anyways. Going for such hugh rounds takes a hell of a long time anyways, I wouldn't want to drag it out for any longer than necessary :lol:

Either way I'd be bored shitless using the traps.

In summary if you want to get to 50 in 2 hours follow the original strat. If you want to get 200k in points by round 35 use my method, it will take around 2 hours. Wilmer claims to be at the same point on level 40 with 235k in points, in 30 minutes more. Take your pick. I can do level 35-40 in 20 minutes using the lobby so it's a toss up.

Yeah this pretty much sums it all up. Except my way is less complex and more easy to pull off. Spending an extra 20 mins in the lobby to shave off 10 mins off my pace is not enough of a timer saver to do a very risky strategy. Mine guarantees and never fails plus the only door i have closed off is the little one on the stage so i can sit next to the door and get all my collaterals.

I normally make my points on the fly. I had exactly 0 points at round 35 in Ascension once but I made about 100k in the next few rounds just using mp5k and guns from the box while trying to get my thunder back. I died at 90+ trying to hit box mid round. (first attempt for zombie count)

I normally make my points on the fly. I had exactly 0 points at round 35 in Ascension once but I made about 100k in the next few rounds just using mp5k and guns from the box while trying to get my thunder back. I died at 90+ trying to hit box mid round. (first attempt for zombie count)

Every good player knows that you can't be hitting the box during a round for that very reason. I farm for a good 20 rounds from the get go with an MP40 and sometimes MP5k on Kino or just MP5k on Ascension. It's better off to over farm and then at the end of the round rape the box until you get th gun you want (yes that means giving up the other good guns).

I see walking over to the box as a waste of time just to get a good gun in a few hits when it's better to over farm and keep hitting it until you get what you want. That is why i told chopper it takes on average 50k for a thunder gun.

Every good player knows that you can't be hitting the box during a round for that very reason. I farm for a good 20 rounds from the get go with an MP40 and sometimes MP5k on Kino or just MP5k on Ascension. It's better off to over farm and then at the end of the round rape the box until you get th gun you want (yes that means giving up the other good guns).

I see walking over to the box as a waste of time just to get a good gun in a few hits when it's better to over farm and keep hitting it until you get what you want. That is why i told chopper it takes on average 50k for a thunder gun.

Yea I learnt my lesson not to hit the box mid round. But my first attempt was not to get to a high round. I was just doing a zombie count and I was bit distracted over my ISP cutting off my internet speed which caused major problems on my livestream.

As far as I know points are no big of a deal if you are trying to get to a high round and want to use the thundergun.

50k is enough at round 50. 200k is an overkill. Just make points on the fly.

Yea I learnt my lesson not to hit the box mid round. But my first attempt was not to get to a high round. I was just doing a zombie count and I was bit distracted over my ISP cutting off my internet speed which caused major problems on my livestream.

As far as I know points are no big of a deal if you are trying to get to a high round and want to use the thundergun.

50k is enough at round 50. 200k is an overkill. Just make points on the fly.

Yeah thats what i do i farm on the fly and i set a standard after rounds 25-30 and i try to stick to that standard. sometimes i do like 20k and other times i try for 40k-50k. But when i do a farm run of 236k in 2hrs 30 mins to round 40 it does feel good when you have that big of a cushion to know that you don't have to farm very much after that.

Even though farming gets easier the higher the rounds since they don't die while your farming. Sometimes it's good to do a 200k farm so you can blow it however you want without worrying about points very much for the rest of the game.

I'm gonna start a session to see how far i can go using H115 and Thunder Gun on the stage. This time no MP40 or Mule Kick with Double Tap instead and i'm going to PaP Thunder around round 30-40 and start draining it's ammo while keeping spares for emergiencies and occasionally use the Stage Traps with Monkeys so i can get back to the stage without going around the map. Again i'll be blowing the H115 ammo at the start of the round after dogs and keeping the 150 reserve just for dogs.

I'm hoping to easily get to round 50 in about 2 hr 30 mins with about 100k. My goal is to try to speed run to 70-75 while maintaining a small farm from the H115. I'm hoping i can get to round 70 somewhere in the 5 hr range (give or take).

That is if i don't get screwed over because i don't have thunder gun ammo for emergencies like i normally do.

Ok a quick update. Currently starting Round 43 with 2 hrs 25 mins and 103k which is not bad let's see how far i decide to go. I probably have about 125k at this point in the Game Over screen. I probably could have shaved off another 10 mins if i didn't do excess laps around the stage to ensure they all spawned and on the stage. I also accidently traded in Thunder Gun for HK rather than MP40 in the very early rounds but luckily i got it back again when i hit the box again a couple rounds later in about 30 seconds.

Chopper at Round 34 i got max ammo when in was in the Fire Trap room (which i accidently grabbed even though i was good on ammo), then when i got back to the stage i got 2x, Instakill, and Nuke all right at the same time (probably a 15 second difference between drops). Then at Round 42 i got Max Ammo again but i didn't pick it up because my Thunder Gun was full. So it appears if you Drain 2/3 of your Thunder Gun ammo right after dogs you have a good chance to get drops once you drain all the H115 ammo in the middle rounds after dogs. This keeps your thunder gun nice and full pretty much until the next dogs if you manage to get Max Ammo to drop during the H115 farming.

So by not picking up carpenter and any power ups early you do in fact get them later. This caught my attention when me and my friend did a round 48 lander glitch session on Ascension in about 2 hrs back when it still worked before they patch it. Back then we spammed Ray Gun almost non stop and would get at least one drop every round past 30.

So yes it appears that you do not lose a power up if you don't grab them in the early rounds. However from my guess your looking at something like "give up 2-3 carpenters for a good power up at a higher round".

Ok a quick update. Currently starting Round 43 with 2 hrs 25 mins and 103k which is not bad let's see how far i decide to go. I probably have about 125k at this point in the Game Over screen. I probably could have shaved off another 10 mins if i didn't do excess laps around the stage to ensure they all spawned and on the stage. I also accidently traded in Thunder Gun for HK rather than MP40 in the very early rounds but luckily i got it back again when i hit the box again a couple rounds later in about 30 seconds.

Chopper at Round 34 i got max ammo when in was in the Fire Trap room (which i accidently grabbed even though i was good on ammo), then when i got back to the stage i got 2x, Instakill, and Nuke all right at the same time (probably a 15 second difference between drops). Then at Round 42 i got Max Ammo again but i didn't pick it up because my Thunder Gun was full. So it appears if you Drain 2/3 of your Thunder Gun ammo right after dogs you have a good chance to get drops once you drain all the H115 ammo in the middle rounds after dogs. This keeps your thunder gun nice and full pretty much until the next dogs if you manage to get Max Ammo to drop during the H115 farming.

So by not picking up carpenter and any power ups early you do in fact get them later. This caught my attention when me and my friend did a round 48 lander glitch session on Ascension in about 2 hrs back when it still worked before they patch it. Back then we spammed Ray Gun almost non stop and would get at least one drop every round past 30.

So yes it appears that you do not lose a power up if you don't grab them in the early rounds. However from my guess your looking at something like "give up 2-3 carpenters for a good power up at a higher round".

Few things...

Skipping any drops does not increase your chances to get more drops later. Each round can have 4 drops plus a random drop AFAIK. After round 30 your max ammo will be replaced by a random drop, however it can also be max ammo.

In order to get drops you simply farm points like you already do. Each round there is a unique number that need to be reached in order to get a drop but you need to kill a zombie for it which is almost impossible to do it with regular guns in high rounds which is why kino is different. It doesnt even have gersches like Ascension that can give drops. Has any one tried combining raygun/other guns to kill zombies after weakening them with turrets to trigger drops in higher rounds? Does it work?

All this said at kino high rounds (30-70), you just need to work on your drops once you start running dry on tgun ammo. If you get unlucky just put it back in the box and spin it at the end of the round. I think kino is probably easiest to use the box with no issues even mid round and even if you decide not to use it mid round, traps are abundant.

All this talk wanting me to do a high round run on kino.

I'm going to attempt Kino high round tomorrow. 6 hour sessions, hopefully only 3 :)

I also appreciate the results Wilmer is posting although I'm pretty certain Way is right about the drops and coding. I've seen too many people say the same thing, people who are actually going on game programming rather than using the game to rest. The random drops are just too random.

Currently at round 53 with 83k with 4hrs. I got a little behind because i had to give in the Thunder Gun cuz i was suppose to get dogs at 53 instead i found myself without T-Ammo on 53. But i got my Thunder Gun back so time to proceed.

Down to my final life. Lost the others with stupid mistakes that shouldn't have happened but that's what happens when you get bored. I lost a life trying to do Choppers method on the second wave which again is risky like i knew it was.