7 reasons survival cant compete with zombies

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't see how it gets repetitive though, as many people said it does. I pretty much agree with everything else people have said but repetitive? Not at all. So many of my IRL friends say that zombies is boring and repetitive, and I agree it gets really repetitive. Survival mode hasn't been repetitive yet though.

Because you rarely upgrade on anything. As soon as you get enough points, get your favorite gun and go. It just gets pretty lame after awhile. Feels like you aren't doing as much, unlike zombies.

Also, what you mentioned about trains, etc, that is generally solo only. With groups, to me at the least, it seems much more intense. Especially when it comes to maps that you can't camp as well in.

Well what I was saying was if you are going for 50+ with however many people, you will most likely all settle down into your own train or run a full map loop, which gets repetive. And I will also add that the color of the zombies also gets old after a while adding to the repitiveness. And where does survival get lame? It keeps getting harder and harder, unlike zombies which steadies out around 40.

I'm just trying to show you a different perspective, I know where you are coming from with zombies but I'm trying to explain how survival is good. Like if you play survival, a shotgun or pistol only challenge is really fun, as compared to a shotgun challenge on zombies which will get old after a while. And you don't have to pick your favorite gun in survival, I use different guns for different maps and depending on what mood I'm in. I still love zombies but I love survival as well.

And the final thing, where you're not "doing as much" in survival is completely false. I have to do way more things in survival to survive than I do in zombies. In zombies I can grab a wall gun and run loops or camp. In survival people are shooting you so you have to worry about that. You need to buy ammo, equipment, and killstreaks in between rounds. You have to worry about juggernauts and helicopters. If someone gets downed YOU have to revive them. You can't let them die and you can't count on someone else to do it. There are so many more things to worry about in survival than in zombies.

Well what I was saying was if you are going for 50+ with however many people, you will most likely all settle down into your own train or run a full map loop, which gets repetive. And I will also add that the color of the zombies also gets old after a while adding to the repitiveness. And where does survival get lame? It keeps getting harder and harder, unlike zombies which steadies out around 40.

Kinda rare for most people to get above 30. It gets lame to me because as I said you get everything you need so fast, whereas in zombies you have to upgrade to keep getting higher.

I'm just trying to show you a different perspective, I know where you are coming from with zombies but I'm trying to explain how survival is good. Like if you play survival, a shotgun or pistol only challenge is really fun, as compared to a shotgun challenge on zombies which will get old after a while. And you don't have to pick your favorite gun in survival, I use different guns for different maps and depending on what mood I'm in. I still love zombies but I love survival as well.

Never said it was bad, just not as much fun to me as zombies. Also, variety is not my strong suit. In anything.

And the final thing, where you're not "doing as much" in survival is completely false. I have to do way more things in survival to survive than I do in zombies. In zombies I can grab a wall gun and run loops or camp. In survival people are shooting you so you have to worry about that. You need to buy ammo, equipment, and killstreaks in between rounds. You have to worry about juggernauts and helicopters. If someone gets downed YOU have to revive them. You can't let them die and you can't count on someone else to do it. There are so many more things to worry about in survival than in zombies.

Again, refering to the first part of the game, upgrading and such. Yeah, I'm sure the later waves I've harder, I mean, they've got guns! That there changes the whole thing. But again, I wasn't really refering to survival tactics.

For the more experienced zombie players, yes, the difficulty does tend to peter-out at about round 35. But there's been so many occasions where I've dragged a random past round 30 and they can't handle the heat because the zombies don't die so quick. So really it's not much easier than Survival, the really good players can reach 50+ in both rounds but those that are still learning will have a tough time reaching those stages.

The thing about Survival mode though, if we're talking about variety, is you're forced to camp to get to the higher rounds. In zombies you have the option to camp, run a full map loop, run a small area train or run and gun. Plus, if you're running, you have a variety of weapons to choose from that you can still get the job done with. In Survival you don't really get that choice, you have to pick somethng powerful if you wanna get far. So really zombies offers a lot more variety IMO.

Well what I was saying was if you are going for 50+ with however many people, you will most likely all settle down into your own train or run a full map loop, which gets repetitive. And I will also add that the color of the zombies also gets old after a while adding to the repetitiveness. And where does survival get lame? It keeps getting harder and harder, unlike zombies which steadies out around 40.

Kinda rare for most people to get above 30. It gets lame to me because as I said you get everything you need so fast, whereas in zombies you have to upgrade to keep getting higher.

Every map that I play with random gets us to 30 which is my high round simply because my revival skills end at that round.

In zombies all I need really is Mustang and sally and a wall gun like Rampage said and I could clutch the game without the partner which is lame in a way because this ain't solo and if you want solo records they have to be different. I don't know why most people are not impressed by survival mode, some say to me that zombies don't shoot lol reminds me of punching bags. So i don't see the point there because even in survival you need to earn money to buy stuff and upgrade. It is not just luck based out of the box or relying on a wonder weapon.

This is how I look at Survival mode.

Easy till round 20 any map.

Gets tough to beat waves past 25 and Insanely hard after round 30 but not repetitive. You get more combos of different enemies rather than just one more batch of zombies in BO.

Requires pure skill to get past 30 rounds. And doesn't require hours of game play like zombies to get to level 50.

Zombie trains are easy, try doing the same trains in survival. AI kicks in.

Reviving is crucial because it defines the meaning of co-op.

In spite of my 50+ failed attempts of 30 waves with randoms I am not giving up trying to get far.All i have to say is survival mode is not the best but it is definitely not something you can easily master like zombies.

Survival is hard compared to zombies because of the following reasons and these people have every right to cry, blame it on Treyarch.

1. Revive or Game over.

2. One perk only. Choose your perk wisely aint no George here to give you free perk or no Easter eggs to spoil you.

3. One slot for Airstrike kill streak, get your ass back here to refill rather than just camping.

4. Trains are hard to make. These enemies are smart and the map is not very accurate because enemies sprint very fast in later rounds and then most likely will come at you when you are reloading or when you are not expecting them.

5. It is hard to camp because Juggernauts have insane health. Because enemies throw Flash bangs at you and dogs run you over and kill you if you don't kill them from distance. They will destroy your sentries before you know it.

6. Refilling ammo requires you to move around which can get you in trouble with enemy spawns and enemy claymores and gas.

7. you can't rely on randoms because their high rounds are not reflected like zombies. You just need team play to survive.

/rant over

Personally i prefered zombies, survival is good but i do find it repetitive.

All the maps resemble eachother a signifcant amount more than the zombies ones did. For zombies you had;

Torn apart theatre the pentagon A moon base A abandoned cosmodrome An asylum A swamp etc

All these maps were different, you can't say an abandoned comsodrome resembeled a swamp in anyway realy?

However in survival, i think some maps resemble eachother alot

Bakaara and Mission, i dont know how but these 2 maps are like eachother alot in my mind, long stretches of path, wipe open areas, tight squeezes, and high places/buildings to camp in.

Also these are Multiplayer maps, so you play on these maps alot more than you would the Zombie maps, meaning you would get bored of them quicker.

For example, a mappack could be released in zombies on January 1'st and new things could still be being discovered in May, and i think if anything was to be placed in maps in MW3, they would be found more quicker therefore making them boring because there was nothing to search for. Having said that, since zombies was such a big thing when a map was released people would scrutinize the map for hours until they found something, The moon easter egg was solved on the day of release on Xbox.

Reasons why I love survival:

-Its more challenging than zombies. Much more challenging. Zombies tends to get easier after the first 10 or 15 rounds while Survival gets harder as you go. Don't think survival mode is challenging or it's boring? Play Rounds 30+ on any of the insane tier maps or play Round 40 on Dome. It's much much more challenging than any zombies map. Besides NDU of course.

-You're enemy fights back. They don't just run at you waiting to get shot. It's a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it. But after a year of shooting brain dead zombies, it's nice to have a swarm that actually shoots back. Like I said positive or negative depending what you like.

- Wide variety of maps. While I will say that if you play Survival or MP ALOT, the maps might get repetitive, but I've really haven't got sick of them yet(except Resistance)

- Solo Leaderboards. This is just common sense to do this. Black Ops lacked this crucial feature. Which leads to my next point...

- VERY few glitches. This is one thing I absolutely love. Besides the truck glitch that plagued MW3 at launch, there haven't been any abusable glitches. No more standing on top of a box and you're invincible. You try to do that here, and they'll just shoot you. Plus if a random starts glitching, you can just kill yourself and ruin his game.

- It's in it's infancy. Survival has just begun. Just as NDU is pretty basic for zombies map, Survival is pretty basic. But who's to say it won't become much bigger and additional features and gameplay.

-Time limits. Finally I can finish a game within a reasonable amount of time. While I have had one or two games that get past 2 hours, the majority of them are anywhere from 45-90 minutes. No more playing until 3am for a Round 40 run.

Reasons why I hate it:

-2 players max. This is without a doubt the biggest downfall of Survival. While it would make some levels extremely easy with 4 people, it just sucks only having one other guy to play with. The best part of zombies was getting a group of friends together and playing as a group. Just not as fun with 2 people.

-no storyline. While this isn't really a big concern to me, it was always fun getting caught up in the story behind the game. Survival lacks that.

Reasons why I love survival:

-Its more challenging than zombies. Much more challenging. Zombies tends to get easier after the first 10 or 15 rounds while Survival gets harder as you go. Don't think survival mode is challenging or it's boring? Play Rounds 30+ on any of the insane tier maps or play Round 40 on Dome. It's much much more challenging than any zombies map. Besides NDU of course.

-You're enemy fights back. They don't just run at you waiting to get shot. It's a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it. But after a year of shooting brain dead zombies, it's nice to have a swarm that actually shoots back. Like I said positive or negative depending what you like.

- Wide variety of maps. While I will say that if you play Survival or MP ALOT, the maps might get repetitive, but I've really haven't got sick of them yet(except Resistance)

- Solo Leaderboards. This is just comm

well said.

I'm starting work on a thread that examines what makes Zombies so addictive, that no other game has really created before. There's three main things I've come up with:

1) The depth of the characters

2) The unreality of Zombies

3) Kiting

There's more, but this is basically why, IMO, Zombies has the replayability it has. Survival can't hold a candle to Zombies because of this.

I just don't see how it gets repetitive though, as many people said it does. I pretty much agree with everything else people have said but repetitive? Not at all. So many of my IRL friends say that zombies is boring and repetitive, and I agree it gets really repetitive. Survival mode hasn't been repetitive yet though.

try the wii zombies

not as many maps,but harder,and less repetitive

The gameplay styles of these two horde-modes are very opposite from each other.

I think Survival mode is still in it's infancy.

When we look at far we've come from Nacht Der Toten to the Moon, there's been quite an evolution. So I'm interested to see how IW evolves this game mode in future titles.

I think both developers could learn a few things from the other, in terms of what works well in each game.

What I think might be cool is if they mixed these two game types together. Make it a three way fight between you, the enemy forces, and the zombies.... aka The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

Imagine this type of game scenario...

You are in a map with both enemy forces and zombies to deal with. Everyone is fighting each other. Chaos is everywhere. Because of the zombies, you can't camp at all. You must keep moving around the map.

So you are running around the map, dodging bullets around every corner, and kiting a train of zombies behind you. You round a corner and there is a Juggernaut right in front of you. So you throw a flash nade at him to stun and run right by him. The zombie train following you, now goes for their next nearest target, and swarm the stunned juggernaut. This gives you a second to either finish off the jugg or zombies fighting eachother (earn points), or use the distraction to get away for a moment before being faced with your next obstacle.

• 1 month later...

To add to buying guns, its so cheap that you unlock them and can buy them next game. It defeats the whole replay value. If the higher round you went to, the next weapon you unlocked, that would make sense, but the higher level you are in spec ops, the better weapons you have access to and once you're a high level there's almost no challenge.