We need to inform IW about this.

Daveyjone

We need to inform Infinity Ward about the levels of Lag in their games. Now before you claim its just me complaining, I have done some background reserch:

I am in England, I have a friend on my list in my village living a few houses down the road, one inthe town over, one in London, one in the north of England, One in the Netherlands, and a few in America.

I organised a test to see how badly we lagged in games and in the servers, firstly I tried the friend in America. He could join my games fine and I his.

My friend in the Netherlands could join my games but I couldn't join his sometimes, when a lot of people we're online (peak times on weekends and in the afternoons when Americans get home).

My British friends had problems joining me, however, as we are all connected, we could always join through annother person, a bit strange that one person is unable to join through two people but the other one has no problems.

And the friend in my street? We can never join, it always says 'game is unavalible', even when trying through a teammate.

Secondly we all checked our routers and network connection, all different working companies, all full connection when we try to join, also made sure the provider had not cancelled or that we had run out of coverage for that month/year. However, sometimes someone using the BT company would be fine yet someone also using it in the same area would be lagging badly.

We have also made sure we have a variety of settings, I reset my ps3 network, a friend of mine opened up his NAT, annother has a strict NAT. And the last one turned off theatre mode and had an open NAT, we did notice that turning theatre off reduced lag, so we all turned it off.

Next, we tried online and private games, from one game to the next we recorded using the connection status and asking, who was the host of the game, we realised that even when the same man was host in two games, people may lag badly in the second who were fast in the first.

Next, we recorded delay from killcams (i.e. knifing someone at the same time, then seeing that in the killcam one man didnt even move.), grenades (i.e. how long it takes them to appear after throwing them, highest was 5 seconds delay between throwing animation and the grenade appearing to be thrown) and the delay of audio, i.e. gunshots, voicovers for killstreaks (we noted sometimes when someone is capturing a flag, i.e. B, the audio may sound for one team but not the other, or not at all if someone calls in a killstreak or annother flag is being captured simultaniously, this means you can time your sneak capture of all enemy bases by timing it with a teammate and the enemy will not be informed, even harder to spot if you have a gillie suit and assassin pro)

Finally we took the average speed of games, using different players as hosts and playing solo as well in case it was because of us that the game lagged. We found most times the host's team won, with the host getting the most kills, and on the killcam, the most kills due to lag (we said it was lag if the killcam was completely different to what you viewed, i.e. you knfied them, and in reality you were gunned down while running.) Many games jutted and froze continuously, something never experience by any of us in a Call of Duty before, unless a host left before they introduced hostmigration, but this was continuous.

IW have allready commented on the lag problems in all their games, you know what they said?

Here's two quotes on Multiplayer over various platforms:

"We would like you to play the game the way we designed and balanced it."

"Lag is always present in online games,"

We are ps3, but I have looked this up and most of the complaints were on the Xbox forums, however Infinity Ward 'forgot' to put the option to open you settings on the PS3, so everyone is on private, so you can't join a friends game unless via invite, which makes my first paragraph even more problematic.

Here's a ps3 forum which mentions the same thing, maybe someone can mention this there and the idea that we need to tell IW.

And remeber this is 3 years old! Now you realise that we need to tell IW or they'll do nothing.

http://community.us.playstation.com/thr ... 0&tstart=0

also a quote from the site points out the reason for IW's actions, and why Treyarch seem to have less lag averagely (we also proved this previously last year.)

Will Infinity Ward address lag? A resounding and emphatic, "NO." Infinity Ward is a pretty lousy developer when it comes to game support. They fix what they have to when it's absolutely broken (not being able to connect at all to the matchmaking server, for example) and that's about it, especially for the PS3.

If the 360 has a problem, that might get some attention, but if the PS3 is having a problem Infinity Ward will ignore it as long as humanly possible.

With something like lag, their answer will simply be, "Lag is always present in online games," which is true, but Infinity Ward (or DemonWare I suppose) could handle it better by adjusting the bar system values and adding in a region filter that works. Will they ever do this? Almost certainly not.

On a related note, I'm a complete fool for buying MW2 knowing this and expecting it to be any different.

Message Edited by Vanthem on 11-23-2009 06:08 PM

Simply, We need to do something to get IW's attention.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely agree im an xbox user. previous ps3 user. It has gotten really bad. PC i think has it the worst though. Heres a link to bejin canadians video of him and his friend playin survival mode. how does this even happen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uVf1-AnyzM

at first I thought his friend was messing with him but toward the end you start to realize IW messed up big time. the glitching lag stuff starts at around 5 min. a bit of a wait i know but well worth the research. I mean this is really bad.

This happens to me as well, with a friend with an open NAT who lives in the same county in England as me! IW will need to fix this, but they won't. There making money, people are abusing it and getting kills so they don't care, and people will resort to camping which will make more people complain, but IW have their money, unfortunately they're not Treyarch, who have some dignity and compassion :( Shame as they make such good stories.

Ive got ps3, and live in the north of england with a perfectly capable internet connection to connect me to games...

however at about 4 oclock today (UK time) i tried to get into several games of domination, all of which failed. When the game was loading it would say, Awaiting connection... then go Awaiting connection... 5 then ggo up to 6,7,8,9,10 and finnally on 11 i would d/c. This happeneed for about 8 tries. Also, sometimes i cant join my friends, and they all live in the same city as me. And after those 8 tries, i was thrown in to a game which had been on for around 5-7 minutes, so the score was like 150's each (Domination)

Hopefuly it will get better :lol: if it happens more than 5 times in a row, (which is often) i'll switch to blackops

It's not just Infinity Ward, it's Treyarch aswell, I think it might just be a problem with Black Ops but whenever I want to play Zombies I can't because our connection goes pretty sh!t and we always lag out, I'm sick of IW and Treyarch and their crap connections D:

Treyarch is hardly as bad as this, even CoD5 never lagged as much as MW2 or 3.

I never lag once im in a game, its just getting into a game which is a problem :lol: the only time something related to lagging happens in a game is when the host migrates, one time i had just called in a stealth bomber, host migration. While the game resuming timer was counting down my stealth bomber went across the map and killed nobody :( :lol:

Honestly I've never had bad lag with any cod or anything for that matter. The only time I lag is when it's my connection, so I don't know what to say. If it helps I'm in the Northwest America.

Where the majority of players are. :D

Also this may be the reason, the fact there are so many players online! [brains]

• 2 weeks later...

OH MY F GOD!!!!! Not to long ago I posted on this thread and I mentioned the level of lag in survial being unbearable on pc, because of a video I saw on youtube.

The two people playing were doing fine when all of a sudden it lags real hard, and one of them goes down...No problem, except when the guy who revived him said something to the notion of: "Man you suck". The guy who went down told him he did not go down.

The same exact thing happened to me today on xbox. Long story short, the game lags hard and somehow makes one person see the other walking into a wall...and vis versa. I go to revive him even though hes not down on his screen, and all he sees is me runnin in circles and going down. Its a complete game ruiner.