A Zombie Trilogy v.III [NOW IN VIDEO]

I misspoke when I wrote culture, I was in a hurry. The images are there to refute MurderMachineX's comment on how the town would not appear as an American western town if it was founded in the 1600s, even though that is incorrect. The way a town or city appears and looks changes as time goes along, and Seoul's an example of it. There's no reason Resolution 1295 can't have the same happen to it.

I'd agree with you but this was a western thing and it was exclusive America so how could this town exist so long before America was first colonized and things such as a Saloon did not exist. A Saloon was equivalent to a irish pub and such they would've been known as different things. Not only that the outfits they wear are outfits was not fashion that you'd find in Africa. Some of the zombies wear military uniforms that existed back in the wild west too I believe.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

I misspoke when I wrote culture, I was in a hurry. The images are there to refute MurderMachineX's comment on how the town would not appear as an American western town if it was founded in the 1600s, even though that is incorrect. The way a town or city appears and looks changes as time goes along, and Seoul's an example of it. There's no reason Resolution 1295 can't have the same happen to it.

I'd agree with you but this was a western thing and it was exclusive America so how could this town exist so long before America was first colonized and things such as a Saloon did not exist. A Saloon was equivalent to a irish pub and such they would've been known as different things. Not only that the outfits they wear are outfits was not fashion that you'd find in Africa. Some of the zombies wear military uniforms that existed back in the wild west too I believe.

It didn't happen, that's my point. I'm suggesting that this town was not any different than any other in history, I'm saying that this town may not have always been a western town and only became one as the idea of a western town was introduced. I'll use Seoul as an example again. The city looks like it does right now because that kind of look was founded along its history. Just because it looks like that now doesn't mean it looked like that when it was founded, that's what I'm saying.

The "American Frontier" or Wild West as we commonly refer to it is dated as such: 1513/1607 - 1912 territorially and 1783-1920 culturally. It's reasonable to assume that before the current iteration of the town we see in buried that there were other settlements in the area beforehand. Or the town is truly much older than we assume. Typically in a settlement that has existed for centuries, graves that already exist are honoured, they may be moved to accommodate growth, but will never be sacrificed in the same vein. Go to your local graveyard, you'd be surprised how far back some go. The city I live in has roots as far back as 1787. The first recorded instance of settlement was in 1883 with the town officially being settled in 1885. It still wasn't incorporated until several years later. Since the date of 1694 we see in Buried dates us to before Spain gained control of the territory we can still note that European encampments and settlements were sprouting up in the region. And like many settlements of the time, it may have been ransacked and destroyed in the many battles between Spain, Mexico and other European nations for control of the territory. With the town in Buried based off of an old silver mining town, this makes a hell of a lot of sense, it would be a valuable asset to anyone looking to control the territory. So while the current town we see can be architecturally dated to 1850-1900, saying it can't be any older is foolish. Just look at how much architecture has advanced in just the last 20 years alone. Rant over.

The "American Frontier" or Wild West as we commonly refer to it is dated as such: 1513/1607 - 1912 territorially and 1783-1920 culturally. It's reasonable to assume that before the current iteration of the town we see in buried that there were other settlements in the area beforehand. Or the town is truly much older than we assume. Typically in a settlement that has existed for centuries, graves that already exist are honoured, they may be moved to accommodate growth, but will never be sacrificed in the same vein. Go to your local graveyard, you'd be surprised how far back some go. The city I live in has roots as far back as 1787. The first recorded instance of settlement was in 1883 with the town officially being settled in 1885. It still wasn't incorporated until several years later. Since the date of 1694 we see in Buried dates us to before Spain gained control of the territory we can still note that European encampments and settlements were sprouting up in the region. And like many settlements of the time, it may have been ransacked and destroyed in the many battles between Spain, Mexico and other European nations for control of the territory. With the town in Buried based off of an old silver mining town, this makes a hell of a lot of sense, it would be a valuable asset to anyone looking to control the territory. So while the current town we see can be architecturally dated to 1850-1900, saying it can't be any older is foolish. Just look at how much architecture has advanced in just the last 20 years alone. Rant over.

Your forgetting this town is in Africa. Not in America.

• Administrators

Your reply covers his post, but not mine. Also, you're forgetting how much architectural styles crossover from country to country. Like Boston, there's the areas that look like the colonial era that it developed from Great Britain and the financial district now looks very modern. In Paris, they've got 17th century architecture in many places. In Madrid, a lot of their churches are from the 1200s.

Your reply covers his post, but not mine. Also, you're forgetting how much architectural styles crossover from country to country. Like Boston, there's the areas that look like the colonial era that it developed from Great Britain and the financial district now looks very modern. In Paris, they've got 17th century architecture in many places. In Madrid, a lot of their churches are from the 1200s.

Actually I was initially going to reply to yours and say well that might be true but we can't prove it nor disprove it. He just happened to post right while I was busy typing it up.

• Administrators

Actually I was initially going to reply to yours and say well that might be true but we can't prove it nor disprove it. He just happened to post right while I was busy typing it up.

Oh, gotcha :) But yeah, it's possible. I was mainly attempting to play Devil's Advocate, because we can't prove anything right now.

Oh, gotcha :) But yeah, it's possible. I was mainly attempting to play Devil's Advocate, because we can't prove anything right now.

I knew what you were doing :P

Yes, I know the map is in Africa, but the popular opinion is that the town that is buried beneath the mine is American. I find it shocking that's all you took from my post. I was trying to support the argument that the town is older than previously thought. And Tac, I agree, there are plenty of modern cities with mixed architectural styles. Boston, New York and London are fantastic examples. Just living in a Canadian frontier city, and having had a parent who was an architect and city planner, has provided me with plenty of knowledge of the architectural history of the time in question. My point was that in the last two decades alone, commercial architecture has grown leaps and bounds in the past 15-30 years. Look to Dubai, Kuala Lampur and Qatar for some extraordinary examples of architectural growth and evolution. This is true of any period with the exception being that progress was slower due to things like meteorology not being as far along as we are today.

Yes, I know the map is in Africa, but the popular opinion is that the town that is buried beneath the mine is American. I find it shocking that's all you took from my post. I was trying to support the argument that the town is older than previously thought. And Tac, I agree, there are plenty of modern cities with mixed architectural styles. Boston, New York and London are fantastic examples. Just living in a Canadian frontier city, and having had a parent who was an architect and city planner, has provided me with plenty of knowledge of the architectural history of the time in question. My point was that in the last two decades alone, commercial architecture has grown leaps and bounds in the past 15-30 years. Look to Dubai, Kuala Lampur and Qatar for some extraordinary examples of architectural growth and evolution. This is true of any period with the exception being that progress was slower due to things like meteorology not being as far along as we are today.

There was no need to comment on anything else you posted. You seem to be under the impression I am debating with Tac over this I am not I am asking for your opposing theories. I haven't stated what my opinion on the matter really is.

hello murder :D just posting my theory to see how the community likes it & maybe add to it like facts N stuff B/C as zombies stands now it looks like its over with 2 different endings......or so they want us to think!(i hope) & what better mind fnck (mind games achievement) then something along the lines of this(arcade theory) or somthing like this.

no one would see it coming.

im not trying to predict the future but just trying to make sense of what info we have now. & reading into the clues TA gives us.

plus as i see it TA likes to make every little details as cannon in some way or form as much as they possible can. we have seen them do this meny meny times in the past.

but then again arcade theory is just a theory a game theory! :lol:

Completely understandable. I was just giving what I think. Did you make a thread on it? You should do that. With this much posting on this thread lately, if you just post your theory here, it will receive little attention. Btw, lol at the game theory reference.

I wouldn't say that they were judgemental, I'd say they were religious. Unfortunately, they go hand in hand in some contexts, but I regards to the graves, I wouldn't say that.

As for the culture, I definitely think it could have been birthed in the 1600s. I mean towns and cities change as time goes along. Take Seoul, South Korea, for example. Top is 1900, bottom is 2013. And that's just one century, imagine three and a half.

You're missing one huge fact though. You're trying to suppose that there were two societies that happened to evolve into the same culture. You're trying to suppose that one society in Northern America and another underground in Africa BOTH developed a western lifestyle.

The odds of that are so statistically negligible that whenever something like that happens in evolution it is considered a miracle.

Well its obvious others came before us. That's flat out fact okay, who he is referencing is what we need to know and I do not think he is referencing us as well as I don't really see how that has anything to do with us being braver.

Um... okay?

No no no. If a town was built in the 1600's, it would develop and be unique NOT somehow be related to another town halfway across the globe. The town MUST have stemmed from a people that had a pre-existing American western culture.

Exactly.

It didn't happen, that's my point. I'm suggesting that this town was not any different than any other in history, I'm saying that this town may not have always been a western town and only became one as the idea of a western town was introduced. I'll use Seoul as an example again. The city looks like it does right now because that kind of look was founded along its history. Just because it looks like that now doesn't mean it looked like that when it was founded, that's what I'm saying.

There are no other western towns in history!

What you are saying is that if I were to build an isolated town on the Moon and another on Mars that they BOTH in 200 years' time have the EXACT same culture.

The "American Frontier" or Wild West as we commonly refer to it is dated as such: 1513/1607 - 1912 territorially and 1783-1920 culturally.

The wild west as popularized in the media was only a staple beginning in the Antebellum era, which had the highlights of 1820-1840 as the largest chunks of the period, one of the longest and uneventful in American history.

It's reasonable to assume that before the current iteration of the town we see in buried that there were other settlements in the area beforehand. Or the town is truly much older than we assume. Typically in a settlement that has existed for centuries, graves that already exist are honoured, they may be moved to accommodate growth, but will never be sacrificed in the same vein. Go to your local graveyard, you'd be surprised how far back some go. The city I live in has roots as far back as 1787. The first recorded instance of settlement was in 1883 with the town officially being settled in 1885. It still wasn't incorporated until several years later. Since the date of 1694 we see in Buried dates us to before Spain gained control of the territory we can still note that European encampments and settlements were sprouting up in the region. And like many settlements of the time, it may have been ransacked and destroyed in the many battles between Spain, Mexico and other European nations for control of the territory. With the town in Buried based off of an old silver mining town, this makes a hell of a lot of sense, it would be a valuable asset to anyone looking to control the territory. So while the current town we see can be architecturally dated to 1850-1900, saying it can't be any older is foolish. Just look at how much architecture has advanced in just the last 20 years alone. Rant over.

That doesn't make any sense. This isn't just some town on top of another town. This town was specifically built underground and isolated. Before this town came to be, there was no one before. You do suggest an alternative. I suggest that the body was moved here. But your alternative is that a bunch of nations were sending people to this spot. If Spain or someone was going through the trouble to send people to the EXACT SAME SPOT in Africa, then why don't we see anymore evidence of them besides a single stone? I think that is hiiiighly unlikely.

So you're suggesting that this underground town in Africa of European descent decided to adopt western American culture for no reason? From the looks of it, they didn't get many visitors. =_=

You may not be debating Tac, but you have said a few things that factually aren't accurate. Like your statement that western towns are mutually exclusive to American history and that America wasn't colonized in these dates. First, one example is Jamestown, Virgina, established in 1607. While America didn't declare its independence until 1776, it did exist for quite some time before that under British rule. The Frontier itself is a term to describe the boundary to the west and what had been discovered. In those days what is now the American Midwest was the frontier, everything west of that was uncolonzied but not unsettled. Ares of California, Arizona and New Mexico at the time were settled by native americans and Mexicans. While the date of 1694 is a little confusing, remember, this is a video game and some things are just artistic license. However, there is historical precedent for people in these regions prior to it being a part of America. As I had tried to allude to before, but you seemed to miss the point on is that settlement can exist in one form or another in an area without it needing to be consistent. One group will come and go in the search for greener pastures, and then the next group can come along. Things like graves that are left behind are usually honoured and left in there original places, particularly in the ghost towns. If there are any buildings already there, then they too are typically kept as there is already shelter. As far as western architecture goes, while there are some Victorian elements, the majority of the style has Spanish roots as the region was settled by the Spaniards and Mexico before the United States. The US is rife with architectural styles liberally borrowed from other nations and those who came before them. Even the modern southwest still has largely Spanish and Native American residential styles. The White House and the 50 state capital buildings have heavy Greek and Roman elements. The United States has always cobbled together its identity from other cultures. To put it simply, in 1694, the United States hadn't colonized west, yes. However, as far back as 1513, Spain had settlements in what are now California, Florida and New Mexico. When the English eventually made it into these areas, whatever buildings already existed were kept to save time and resources. The Victorian style was added later as the settlements expanded.

This is definetly a labor of love :D This is really awesome and in my opinion one of the best resources of zombie story in one place that I have read. Well done, I can't wait for the Resolution 1295 update on it.

Aw, thank you very much. Yes yes. There is much work to be done on Buried! If you would like, I can message you upon the next major update.

good idea i only talked abut it in a post or to but ill give it its own post thanks :D

Good luck!

You may not be debating Tac, but you have said a few things that factually aren't accurate. Like your statement that western towns are mutually exclusive to American history and that America wasn't colonized in these dates. First, one example is Jamestown, Virgina, established in 1607. While America didn't declare its independence until 1776, it did exist for quite some time before that under British rule.

But that wasn't America. That was Britain. It wasn't actually AMERICA until that time. Otherwise you could just go all the way back and say we are all Africans since we're descended from them.

The Frontier itself is a term to describe the boundary to the west and what had been discovered. In those days what is now the American Midwest was the frontier, everything west of that was uncolonzied but not unsettled. Ares of California, Arizona and New Mexico at the time were settled by native americans and Mexicans.

To be honest, these things are of little relevance. We know what the "West" is. A specific definition isn't necessary.

While the date of 1694 is a little confusing, remember, this is a video game and some things are just artistic license.

Which is why I say it should be written off as the simple moving of a gravestone/body rather than trying to rewrite history from 1600-1900.

However, there is historical precedent for people in these regions prior to it being a part of America. As I had tried to allude to before, but you seemed to miss the point on is that settlement can exist in one form or another in an area without it needing to be consistent. One group will come and go in the search for greener pastures, and then the next group can come along.

However, that only occurs in really populated areas. It has happened in America. It happens all the time in Europe. It happens almost not at all in Australia.

Things like graves that are left behind are usually honoured and left in there original places, particularly in the ghost towns. If there are any buildings already there, then they too are typically kept as there is already shelter.

But it is in Africa. There was no pre-existing culture. It's not just a spot on the map. It's a spot UNDERNEATH the map. That's like digging a hole in a random location on the Earth and asking if someone had been in the hole first, before you.

As far as western architecture goes, while there are some Victorian elements, the majority of the style has Spanish roots as the region was settled by the Spaniards and Mexico before the United States. The US is rife with architectural styles liberally borrowed from other nations and those who came before them.

THIS IS NOT NORTH AMERICA. It is in Africa. Since it has American architecture, that means the people that lived there are from America.

Even the modern southwest still has largely Spanish and Native American residential styles. The White House and the 50 state capital buildings have heavy Greek and Roman elements. The United States has always cobbled together its identity from other cultures. To put it simply, in 1694, the United States hadn't colonized west, yes. However, as far back as 1513, Spain had settlements in what are now California, Florida and New Mexico. When the English eventually made it into these areas, whatever buildings already existed were kept to save time and resources. The Victorian style was added later as the settlements expanded.

All null points. There were no pre-existing cultures existing in a hole in the ground. Period.

• Administrators

There very well could have been a town that created a town like those in America, I gave examples of it happening in history already. However, Treyarch describes it as an Old West mining town, so it's likely that it came from America somehow.

Also, I don't see why we can't go under the impression the town began in the 1600s and gradually became abandoned.

You may not be debating Tac, but you have said a few things that factually aren't accurate. Like your statement that western towns are mutually exclusive to American history and that America wasn't colonized in these dates. First, one example is Jamestown, Virgina, established in 1607. While America didn't declare its independence until 1776, it did exist for quite some time before that under British rule. The Frontier itself is a term to describe the boundary to the west and what had been discovered. In those days what is now the American Midwest was the frontier, everything west of that was uncolonzied but not unsettled. Ares of California, Arizona and New Mexico at the time were settled by native americans and Mexicans. While the date of 1694 is a little confusing, remember, this is a video game and some things are just artistic license. However, there is historical precedent for people in these regions prior to it being a part of America. As I had tried to allude to before, but you seemed to miss the point on is that settlement can exist in one form or another in an area without it needing to be consistent. One group will come and go in the search for greener pastures, and then the next group can come along. Things like graves that are left behind are usually honoured and left in there original places, particularly in the ghost towns. If there are any buildings already there, then they too are typically kept as there is already shelter. As far as western architecture goes, while there are some Victorian elements, the majority of the style has Spanish roots as the region was settled by the Spaniards and Mexico before the United States. The US is rife with architectural styles liberally borrowed from other nations and those who came before them. Even the modern southwest still has largely Spanish and Native American residential styles. The White House and the 50 state capital buildings have heavy Greek and Roman elements. The United States has always cobbled together its identity from other cultures. To put it simply, in 1694, the United States hadn't colonized west, yes. However, as far back as 1513, Spain had settlements in what are now California, Florida and New Mexico. When the English eventually made it into these areas, whatever buildings already existed were kept to save time and resources. The Victorian style was added later as the settlements expanded.

I was not wrong in what I said I chose my words very carefully when I typed that up. No that was not America it was considered Britain as it was under Britain rule at the time. I know my history very well. I do not need to go further on your statement though as MMX has done it for me and I do not feel the need to debate things as they are all null points.

There very well could have been a town that created a town like those in America, I gave examples of it happening in history already. However, Treyarch describes it as an Old West mining town, so it's likely that it came from America somehow.

Also, I don't see why we can't go under the impression the town began in the 1600s and gradually became abandoned.

This is history:

Colonial America > Antebellum America > Industrial America

Old West existed within Antebellum America. But then get thrown a wild card: Antebellum African Underground Town. So we could add it in, stemming from the evolution:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Antebellum Town

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^

What you are instead proposing is this:

Colonial Town > Antebellum Town

You are proposing that two cultures developed the exact same thought patterns, style of clothing, language, food style, architecture, MUST I GO FURTHER?!!!

If that was true, why don't we have eleven Japans? Or nineteen Chinas? Why don't we have four British-like countries? Why don't we have southern Eskimos? Cultures are unique. You can't have two independent developments of the same culture. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE.

!: An Old West mining town CANNOT exist BEFORE the "Old West" does! It cannot "turn" into it, as there was and only ever will be ONE Old West.

• Administrators

I am not proposing that they "developed" the same things without the knowledge that the other also existed. I am proposing that similarly in the rest of the world, one popped up first and another heard about it and developed it similarly due to liking it so much. There's no need to use all caps, I'm simply playing Devil's Advocate over here. You go to other parts of the world with identical architecture, restaurants, etc., as they give homage to their inspiration for their location.

I am not proposing that they "developed" the same things without the knowledge that the other also existed. I am proposing that similarly in the rest of the world, one popped up first and another heard about it and developed it similarly due to liking it so much. There's no need to use all caps, I'm simply playing Devil's Advocate over here. You go to other parts of the world with identical architecture, restaurants, etc., as they give homage to their inspiration for their location.

That is a product of the industrialized world, where we can communicate and travel with ease. Not in the 1800's. Certainly not in the 1600's. What you're proposing is "Oy, we're a Spanish town underground in Africa. But we met some American western folk, and we're renovating one hundred percent American western!" It's not a straw man fallacy. It really is just that ridiculous.

And for the record, "Devil's Adocate" isn't really helpful right now. If you know it to be true, please don't waste my time arguing the opposition. I get the idea that it might help iron details out, but you're taking this way too far. You're arguing ludicrous stuff now in the name of "Devil's Advocate".

Archived