SKYRIM Discussion & Stories

Skyrim is an amazing game but the vanilla has an issue that every character you can think of becomes overpowered once you get close to maxing their trees.

Sneak, smithing or speech destroy it. Stun lock just breaks every magic user. Amazing game still but once you've done the factions a couple of different times they are a bit boring, especially the mages college.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still play and mod skyrim every now and then. I play it in bursts, usually getting sucked in with a new character for a few weeks, then I mod it a bit. Recently a mod I made was #1 on Steam for a week, pretty cool! The only bad thing about playing in bursts is when people want changes to a mod that I don't want to edit. :P

Haha oh god... the sneaking is WAY OP. Either that, or the enemies are pretty much blind. I've had moments where they basically step on my toes and still can't find me.

Speaking of which, I always seem to take the "Master thief" approach eventually. Being some badass assassin and such. What do you guys like to roll with?

My latest character is a Nord, decked out in Nightingale armor, and favors standard swords and archery. Best thing ever? Nocturnals cloaking ability where you go completely invisible anytime your crouch. Nothing is more satisfying than approaching a completely clueless fella from behind then it goes to the "slow-mo kill cam" mode and my character appears just as I slit their throat. 

Add Serana (magicka) and some muscle that likes to pack around the heavier weapons and you got the best of everything, really. I can take them down from near or far, then Serana attacks them from afar, and the hired muscle, just goes tank on everyone lol.

My favorite character was my sneak archer, the latest I did.

I found a realism issue with him however....I can slit anyone's throat and kill them clear, even those nasty nasty Draugr Deathlords which makes sense....if you have reached the pinnacle of being an assassin of course you should....but archery I found lagged too much behind.  If I'm maxing my archer tree and it's still taking 3 sneak shots to kill the same thing, with any high level bow (I even took Nightingale on 46) it just doesn't seem right.

Using poison doesn't do anything at those levels unless you really, really, really collect from start to finish and so I messed around with enchanting and smithing, with some potions without looping any my character suddenly became a complete monster.  Just too overpowered.

Although my first illusion assassin was a lot of fun, as it was my first character and being invisible and crouch rolling is great to do.

I really always wanted to do a master magician, across multiple schools but on XBOX it's not really feasible.  No I have my gaming laptop I intend to do that eventually as I can use keys to quickly switch magic.  For alteration I think that's necessary.

Magic is definitely underwhelming on consoles. There are the usual combos and synergies, but there is no "master magician" feel. I'm definitely trying to create that with my latest character. 

I've found that a great part of Skyrim is the armor choices you can have. By the end of the game, you already hit the armor cap, so you can mix and match armor pretty nicely.

My favorite armor set is easily Ancient Falmer Armor... That white glow is too good.

Have you guys seen the Demonhunter build? It's easily one of the most popular Skyrim builds and makes great use of archery without having to cower behind things.

Going mostly magic is so difficult, and I just never had the patience for it. Still, some of those master spells look beast, and I'll probably pay more attention to it my next go-round. But first things first; I need to get a hold of a PC version and some mods. :D

Sneak Archer Assassin always...

I never liked using hired muscle and when I clear dungeons I like to be thorough, so I take my time sneaking through and sniping enemies, making sure every hall and every room has been covered. The issue with sneak is that this approach is great at low levels because you'll actually have to be careful, but when my Sneak is maxed, I can just pop into a room with enemies say "Hi!", then crouch and they can't find me. It's just not that much fun anymore. 

Lately I've been playing and looking for dragons, I have a bunch of dragon bones and scales (damnit those things are heavy) at my home in Whiterun, and once again I've found the strategic part of this game (find the best rock to hide behind, let Shadowmere distract the beat, and pelt it with arrows). My goal is to tame and ride a dragon eventually...has anyone ever done this?

I've also been very tempted to play as a Vampire or Werewolf (more than likely the latter) because I've always been intrigued by making a character like that work realistically. Anyone else ever have success with the lycanthropy builds?

My goal is to tame and ride a dragon eventually...has anyone ever done this?

I've also been very tempted to play as a Vampire or Werewolf (more than likely the latter) because I've always been intrigued by making a character like that work realistically. Anyone else ever have success with the lycanthropy builds?

Do you have the Dragonborn DLC Eternal? You can ride dragons with it installed. You learn a cool shout, and it lets you tame dragons. Pretty badass.

And from what I've seen, vampire builds are really really strong if you synergize everything, covering weaknesses and enhancing strengths. Werewolf builds are pretty straightforward, you just want lots of crowd control, like a fear spell or a mayhem type spell so that when you transform, everyone is really easy to pick off.

Being a Vampire blows, FYI. Nothing regenerates during the daytime and the only "cool" part is your eyes and that's about it. Turning into a Wearwolf of a Vampire just attracts unwanted attention, so I never messed with both much.

From what I remember I think Vampires can be made very OP due to something in the restoration tree, being Breton and maybe the Atronach stone making them immune to all elements.

Poison resist, brilliant sneak skills, cool illusion spells and the whole Lord tree set!

Sounds soooo much fun actually!

Pretty sure I have Dragonborn DLC, bought the GOTY edition for 360. Any clue where that shout is?

You get the shout from doing the Main Quest of Dragonborn. Have you been to Solstheim yet? You get attacked by Cultists after you visit the Greybeards for the first time, and they drop a letter saying something about Solstheim, and you can then take a ship out of Windhelm to get there and start the main quest. You can return to Skyrim at any point when you get to Solstheim though.

So I deleted my old character because I couldn't get the 15 Daedric Artifacts, working on a Mage with Daggers female Dunmer or Breton. I haven't played in so long, only doing the Mage Questline. I'm borrowing the GOTY edition so I'll have access to all DLC. What requirements do I have to be to unlock the additional content and defeat said bosses? I'm a bit of a trophy hog so I like to get all trophies in everything haha.

Not too sure I can help with triggering the DLC, I just wander aimlessly through Skyrim. Heh.

However, I can definitely tell you the Breton makes a great mage. The Dunmer would definitely be easier to start with as the racial traits for the Dunmer are more forgiving for a lower level character, but if you're smart and strategical and use the Breton, you will be an awesome mage at higher levels. My alternate character is a Breton mage, I just dual cast everything and rarely run out of mana.

I almost forgot how shit the quests and guilds in Skyrim are compared to Oblivion. :/

At least the dungeons aren't copy and pasted anymore. More than anything, the guilds and quests are just tedious after a few playthroughs.

Made a new character today. Male Nord, probably strong on the melee side as always. But god, is the beginning tedious as all hell now. Luckily I got past the beginning part, sucks I still have to get to High Hrothgar for my shouts, and do the companions for the 15th time.

To anyone, is the Dragonborn DLC any good or should I just not bother?

I've been wondering if it's worth me playing Oblivion or Morrowind.  Never played them before but love Skyrim so guessing I'd at least have some interest.

I would highly suggest you do. If you like Skyrim, you should really enjoy either of those two because the gameplay is very similar. There are glitches and other backend programming that has changed (some for the better others for the worse) between the games, but ultimately the core experience remains untarnished.

I prefer Oblivion and Morrowind because the wilderness just looks better, imo. Not graphic-wise obviously, but aesthetically (I'm not a fan of snow). I think the others have a bit more urbanized feel too and that's also a plus. Oblivion also has lots of Daedric stuff, moreso than Skyrim, I'm sure. 

I've been wondering if it's worth me playing Oblivion or Morrowind.  Never played them before but love Skyrim so guessing I'd at least have some interest.

Haven't played Morrowind, but Oblivion is worth a play. The environments aren't too bad aesthetically, though faces may or may not throw you off. The guilds are pretty damn good, as well as the arena. Also, be sure to get the GOTY edition for Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles. Both worth it, imo.

My only personal problems with it are the very basic and copied dungeons (goes for oblivion gates as well), and the combat system, but only because it doesn't flow as well as skyrim's. Other than that, I think I prefer alot of it to Skyrim.

EDIT: If you do get into Oblivion, here's some advice: to level up, sleep. I had no idea you had to do that at first. It's not spelled out like in Skyrim. You literally need to find a place to sleep to level up.

Edited by Zombieofthedead