Superhands' Der Riese Co-op strategy guide

Superhands

Hey CoDZ, this won't be my usual in-depth, from scratch strategy, as most people know the basics of this map already. However, camping on this map doesn't work so well as it did in the W@W version and splitting up and running trains has proven for most to be the best strategy for 30+ rounds. In this guide I'll mainly be showing good train-running/kiting spots and how to run them, and how someone running in one area will affect another area for better strategising.

As you'll notice, there are 5 spots that I'll point out here so it's easily possible for up to 4 players to run seperate trains.

The white lines in each image show the main route, while the grey lines show a sub-route in case the main route gets blocked.

You'd typically split up and start running these areas at about round 10 - everyone camping in the power-switch room will work very well before you decide to split up.

Start area

This is a simple area to run. There are no good wall weapons you can use on-route, but the M1A1 Carbine is on the wall just outside of the running area, which is a respectable gun when upgraded as it becomes auto-fire and does a good amount of damage. The problem though is that is doesn't hold much ammo, and will cost 4500 to replenish the upgraded gun.

Note that as you go up the stairs that lead to the door, you may need to jump over some zombies at the drop-off.

You can use a 'cut-back' at the Kar89k area if you get blocked off on your way to the stairs (turn around and run around the zombies in a cresent-moon shape, then turn back, run back around them and continue your loop).

Thompson room

This room can be tricky to run in later rounds, but with some practice it becomes easier. The Thompson on the wall on-route is an added bonus that makes this area very considerable.

As shown you can use the stairs as a sub-route if the front area gets blocked up. You can also go around by the furnace for an alternative route. A cut-back by the Thompson also works well if you're blocked off by a bunch of zombies coming from the stairs.

This is the area that's most affected by where your team-mates are. If your team-mates are in the power room or the start area then you'll get a moderate amount of zombies coming here. If you're playing a 2 player game and the other player is running the STG train, you'll get a LOT of zombies here.

Power-switch area

Another simple area and one that seems to be one of the most popular. Most people tend to run in a circle shape, but I find the way shown above much safer, and a circle shape can be used as a sub-route.

There's no wall weapons on-route, but the FG42 on the wall just outside in the Speed Cola area is a nice option.

Bowie Knife area

This is an area that any experienced No Man's Land player will feel comfortable with, basically run in a figure of 8 but it's very important to 'drag' the zombies at the corners closest to the power-switch area. It may seem like a tight area but it's very effective and not very hard, and becomes even easier when someone is running in the STG room.

I wouldn't recommend running this if someone is running their loop in the power-switch room as this can cause problems for both of you, but as mentioned I'd definately recommend it if someone is in the STG room.

There are no good wall weapons near-by, although due to what I've mentioned there shouldn't be anyone in the power-switch room if you're running this area, so the FG42 is a possible choice. An STG is a better choice, but this depends on if someone is in the STG room or not.

STG room

This is an easy area to run in co-op, as you'll get a smaller amount of zombies than anyone else.

The STG is on the wall in this room, and ammo can be bought while using the sub-route shown.

You can also go up the large stairs and drop off the balcony if the main area is blocked off. Just make sure you don't drop into the Bowie area if someone is running it!

Weapon choices

Mule kick would definately be recommended on this map. There's 3 main groups of weapons that you'd ideally choose from:

Main killing/point-building weapon

This will be the main weapons that you'll be killing the zombies with and gaining points. Recommended:

RPK/HK

Ray Gun (beware of crawlers in the smaller areas)

STG-44

Thompson

FG42

M1A1 carbine upgraded

Dog killing weapon

This is mainly used for taking out Hellhounds when they spawn with zombies after the 3rd dog round, also used during the dog rounds. Recommended:

Ray Gun

Mustang & Sally

Gut Shot (PaP'd Trench Gun)

Any other upgraded shotgun

Emergency weapon

This will be used to free yourself in you're in trouble, either while going to revive or running your train as normal. Always have this weapon in hand when you're not shooting the zombies e.g. when you're gathering them or on your way to revive. Recommended:

Wunderwaffe

Awful Lawton (PaP'd Crossbow)

Reviving a downed team-mate

There should be 1 designated player to revive another player, dependant on which areas people are running. Basically, whoever is closest to the downed player will revive them. So the Thompson and start room players will revive each other and the power-switch/Bowie area and STG room players will revive each other. Of course in a 3 players game, the player in the middle of both players' rooms will be responsible for reviving both.

There may be occasions where more than 1 player goes down, in which case the next closest player will revive both of them.

When someone goes down, all players should stop killing immediately where possible. The players closest to the downed team-mate should have their emergency weapons in-hand; the downed player's group will be coming to join you shortly. The idea is to let the group of zombies join your train so you can go and revive your team-mate without getting blocked off.

Ideally, once your team-mate is revived you should accompany them to the Juggernog machine via a route that won't require you to run through someone else's room and disturb their train (this can be very dangerous for all players and is best avoided at all times.)

Quick Revive will always help in reviving your team-mates.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love it man! I really enjoy your work, bud. I think that there's a tighter, faster way to run the spawn, however.

I would run a counter-clockwise circle at the area by the wire fence and then move back to one of the corners to shoot or just hip spray.

This wouldn't work on solo, but on co-op it's a viable option. Great guide.

Love it man! I really enjoy your work, bud. I think that there's a tighter, faster way to run the spawn, however.

I would run a counter-clockwise circle at the area by the wire fence and then move back to one of the corners to shoot or just hip spray.

This wouldn't work on solo, but on co-op it's a viable option. Great guide.

Thanks man ;) You're right about the tighter loop als being an option, it'd probably work pretty nicely is someone was running in the Thompson room but from personal experience if the rest of the guys are in the back areas then you'll get a LOT of zombies at the spawn.

One reason why this map is holding me back is because of damn dogs. I like your idea of shotgun, gut shot.. Will try it tonight and tell you how it goes. My only problem is I dont like Mule kick

My earlier setups:

20-30 rounds:

Thompson, Crossbow

Perks: Jug, QR, Speed and DT

30+

Crossbow, Gut shot /ray gun (For damn dogs)

Perks: Jug, QR, DT, Speed

This way the other person can have the thundergun (oh-shit no thunder gun in this map, I meant that crappy whatever-the-name-of that gun is) yea wunderpancake.

• 2 weeks later...

No M&S recommended Super? It's been working for me all the way up to 30 as a way of killing an entire hoard in 3 bullets. One shot on the dogs always. With monkeys you can safely clear a massive group.

What is the recommended way for doing plus 35 2 players on this map?

Until then there is no problem but the time I went above then it got a bit hectic. Trying to run power and stg area, using either the Waffe or trap to kill them all. Anything better for 2?

Duno why I didn't add that in actually, M&S is always my choice of weapon for dog-killing. Adding it now ;)

I prefer the Thompson room to the STG room, dunno whether it's just personal choice but I find it easier to run. So yeah, one in the Thompson room and one in the power room, each gathering up a group and using their own trap or the Wunderwaffe.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey superhands is it okay if I post my own strategy for this map solo/semi co (semi if you like staying away from teammates)? And jw wouldn't it be better for the person in the stg room to teleport to starting room if the person there is down? Or would that cause the person to get down if stun by teleporter cause of the zombies already there.

Hey superhands is it okay if I post my own strategy for this map solo/semi co (semi if you like staying away from teammates)? And jw wouldn't it be better for the person in the stg room to teleport to starting room if the person there is down? Or would that cause the person to get down if stun by teleporter cause of the zombies already there.

Of course it is man, don't need my permission and more strategies posted on here means people can work differet parts of different strategies into one that works best for them ;)

You could teleport to the start room to revive someone there if you're at the STG, really depends on the amount of point you have. It's pretty simple to take on their horde before going to revive them so it's not strictly necessary. If you choose to use the teleporter though then make sure their horde is close to the STG room first, just to make sure the starting room is clear of any zombies so you can revive. You can then both go up the stairs through the lab area so he can re-buy Jugg, then wait for the zombies to reach you before dropping off the ledge to safely go back to your own areas.

Camping in the first rounds is definitely one of the best ways to eliminate a ton of hassle. Personally, if I could camp the first 35 rounds in short order, I'd have no issues with going to round 60. The 20s have to be the longest set of rounds for the number of zombies produced. If you can get 35 rounds done in less than 70 minutes, that'd be amazing!

Thanks still new to this site so had to make sure lol I'll post my strategy maybe sometime this week. I would now but I'm texting this from my iPhone and it appears to let me see only like 1/4 of my draft so I cant do mug to my draft right now.

And I'm having muti choices in mine cause I don't always do the same thing when I'm doing it everytime I play. I might have to play der riese but try to get m&s this time to see if it makes my strategy any easiyer.