Chopper's beginners guide to Kino

Chopper

Chopper’s guide to Kino – where’s the show zombies?

Kino; although it’s a new map compared to the original WAW it still has nostalgic memories for most players being the first Black Ops map. For me it was the first zombie map I ever played. If I want to have a complete laugh with friends it’s the map we will play each and every time. It’s easy to get far, but hard to do so easily. There is a very simple and safe method which 2 players can use to get to round 40 in 8 hours. It’s the way I first got to 40 when I wasn’t such a good player.

Using a variation of this, 2 good players can carry a complete newb to round 40 once they have become advanced players themselves.

I’m actually going to write this strategy first, before going into anything advanced. For new people this should be easy to follow as soon as the game mechanics have been understood. A lot of advanced strategies require specific skills, which are only developed by lots of practise. Kiting, especially 2 people in 1 area is developed with practise. Some people will get it naturally but everyone will still need lots of practise. If you just want to get to 40 this will get you there without any of these skills.

(R40 2p easy) Round 40 2 player easy strategy – slow and steady wins the race.

What you need in the first 10 rounds.

2 * MP40

2 * Juggs

2 * Quick Revive

R40 2p easy Part 1 – getting to MP40.

What’s required:

M14 each - 500 points *

1750 points for the first 2 doors.

1000 points each for MP40.

This is all manageable by end of round 3.

* As you become more confident in stabbing and managing the spawn you can get rid of this gun.

Essential beginner tip –

Health and staying alive. You can take 1 hit safely, a 2nd hit will down you. You will notice a red line appear on your screen when you are hit once, from the direction it has come from. Whilst the screen is red, and for 1 entire second after it has cleared you are still vulnerable. The biggest mistake I believe people make is not understanding this. When I see people go down on their window it’s because they are ignoring this advice. If you get hit once back away from whatever it was. Make sure you leave enough time to become ‘clear’.

Strategy – what are we trying to do?

Decide 2 windows each to watch. I would have 1 person manage both windows in the open downstairs, the other person to watch the upstairs window and under the stairs. You both now have a ‘fast’ window, and a ‘slow’ window. By this I mean that the zombies take longer to reach the window near quick revive and the window under the stairs. You are aiming to gain 2000 points each. Being pedantic 1 person needs 1750 and the other needs 2000.

Let’s give some names to some locations…..

Where you start is known as spawn. Spawn has 1 mystery box, an M14, and Olympus and the teleporter receiver pad. There are 4 window spawns, and 3 gas crawlers spawns. Quick Revive is also located here.

Round 1 – stab all zombies.

Round 2 – you can either shoot once with the M14 and then stab, shot twice with the M14 or stab twice.

Round 3 – for beginners my advice is just to shot 3 times. You do not want a nuke on this round as a beginner, round 4 would be quite difficult for you unprepared. The level of runners compared to walkers jumps quite dramatically.

At the end of this round leave a walking zombie.

Spend 750 points opening the door at the top of the stairs on the right.

This next area is called the PM63 area. There is a PM63 on the wall, 1 window spawn in a small enclosed corridor and a balcony spawn point. 1 mystery box is here. You can see this if you look left after opening the door. From here you can see down to the stage.

It leads into Portrait room (square area with portraits on the walls…). The distinction should be clear, I class them as separate areas. There is 1 window spawn in here plus 1 roof drop spawn. This is left of the entrance to the room…there is a hole in the ceiling. Mule Kick is also here.

Between the PM63 and portrait room you will find the first electrical trap.

Spend 1000 points to open the door in the portrait room. Go down the stairs of death (this will become clear later).

The area you are now in is known as the MP40 room. There is the upper area, which is to the left as you enter from the stairs of death. The stakeout is located here, as well as 1 window. The rest of the room is the area downstairs, with a wide sweeping staircase on either side. This area contains the MP40, 2 window spawns and 2 or 3 ceiling spawns. Speed cola is also here, and a turret.

Buy the MP40 here, this gun should only be replaced once, when and if you buy Mule Kick (more later).

Strategy – what are we trying to do?

Gain access to the back of the stage, this will cost 2500 more points. Once behind the stage you can camp if you haven’t got enough points yet for Juggs, or camp if you are more comfortable with that for a few rounds.

Essential beginner tip –

Fetching some souls…Dogs. Dogs are going to appear on round 5, 6 or 7, 6 probably being the aggregate. They then appear every 5 rounds. When the round starts the music changes, the screen colour changes somewhat and you hear a voice….. “Fetch me their Souls!”

For a beginner dogs can be a nightmare. There are basic and advanced tactics for managing them. Be aware that the first dog round is going to be the hardest.

Option 1 – stakeout. Stakeout is a OHK on dogs, but it costs 1500 points. For a beginner this gun could actually be a good choice as it’s close to OHK on zombies to round 10 or so. 6 shots in the chamber, less than 12 dogs for 2 players…..it’s very easy with this gun. Both stand at Speed Cola and take either left or right side to cover.

Option 2 – backs to the wall. This is in my opinion the easiest way for a new player. When you hear that it’s a dog round both run to the PM63 area. There is that small little corridor with a window in it, both get into their and ADS the doorway. 5 MP40 bullets will kill a dog. The dogs have to come round the corner of the doorway slowly giving enough time to kill them before they reach you. 1 person should fire at a time, this ensures you won’t both have empty clips at the same time.

Option 3 – circles. Dogs game mechanics means that you can actually walk a backward circle and they will not be able to hit you. They stay in the middle of the circle, jaws always snapping just behind you.

Round 4 – with an MP40 each you should not yet have any problems. 1 person can take both windows downstairs, the other can take the window upstairs and anything that comes from the stairs of death.

Round 5 – if not dogs same as above.

At the end of this round if you both have 1250 points then open the first door, leading into…

Dressing room. The dressing room contains 2 window spawns and 1 ceiling spawn. The MP5K is also here, and 1 mystery box. This room on high levels spells death for beginners, there are 2 paths to choose to get through it, left or right and your choice in later levels makes the difference between life and death. At the end of this area there is another door, open this to…

Back of stage. Once the power is on this whole area opens up, but what you are currently looking at now is the back of the stage. The distinction is important for an advanced strategy, for beginners not so much. This area contains 2 windows, 1 ceiling gas zombie spawn, a mystery box, M16 and Claymores. The power switch is here too. The last thing here is the M16 door. This deserves to be bolded simply because most high round strategies need it to be shut. Keep it SHUT!!!

Round 6/7/8/9 – you are now behind the stage, if not dogs on 5 it will be on 6 or 7.

Some people like staying in this area as long as they can hold out. It avoids the nova gas crawlers who can be very problematic.

I’d advise to both buy claymores when you can afford them, 1000 each. Without claymores the idea is for 1 person to cover the back window, the other person covers the doorway from the dressing room and the window to the left. Swap when ammo becomes a problem, if it’s really a massive problem you can grab the M16.

With claymores you can use a different tactic. Both people should lay their claymores leading away from the back window, spaced maybe 2 metres apart. This is 4 guaranteed zombie deaths, and a warning system. Both players then stand at the doorway to the dressing room, covering the window on the left as well. When you hear 4 big bangs behind you one of you will need to cover the rear as your warning system is now gone.

Next thing to do is to turn the power on.

Front of the stage. The most important area on kino by far. You will be starting every single round here. Once the power is on a curtain is raised and you will see a drop off with a turret in the middle, and 2 sets of stairs either side. The teleporter is here too. Below there is an area which has a window at either end, and then the viewing corridor which leads back to the initial spawn. The middle of this corridor has a mystery box. At the end of this corridor is a small alcove on the right, which contains the Bowie Knife and Juggs.

Between the corridor and the spawn there is an electrical trap.

Half the map is now open and this is what you will be using to get to round 40. More on that later. Once the power is turned on you will be meeting some new and unwelcome friends, gas crawlers. The mystery box location will now be viewable on the crude map which is above every single box location.

Essential beginner tips

Gas Crawlers. These are what kill people more than anything else. They are difficult to see, easy to get caught on and they release noxious nova 6 gas as an explosion when they are killed. The explosion can damage you if you are too close and the gas screws with your vision, just like Multiplayer (tactical mask pro I both love and hate you BTW).

First note – if they are killed by the ray gun they don’t explode. If they are knifed they don’t explode. Their explosion hurts other zombies. Remember this, it really helps. They are weaker than normal zombies…..by comparison the Bowie Knife is OHK on normal zombies until round 9, and on gas crawlers until round 13. Their hits also damage you less than a normal zombie, but I’m not sure about the specifics of this.

Perks. You now have access to the 4 perks you are going to be using. Double Tap is not for beginners, and it’s not open yet!

Juggs (Juggernaut). The most important thing in zombies is Juggs. There is never a time when it’s not your priority to have this. It enables you to take 4 hits safely before the 5th will down you. It costs 2500.

Quick Revive. Enables you to revive a downed comrade in half the time it would take. Ultimately revives should be done in such a way that this is not required, but it’s still essential to have for when things don’t go well. It costs 1500.

Speedy Cola. A bonus rather than a necessity, you reload in either ½ or 2/3 of the time it would take. Can be very helpful for the ThunderGun. In no situation with any other gun will it really save a beginners life. It costs 3000.

Mule Kick. I’ll be honest I have never used Mule Kick on Kino, simply because I haven’t realty played it since it was released. My opinion therefore is theoretical and based on game knowledge and potential strategies. This perk is not essential but would massively help on Kino. Being able to have a ray gun first gun, Thunder or Crossbow second and MP40 3rd sounds pretty damn cool. It costs 4000.

Double Tap. I love double tap, you can kill quicker and it reduces the recoil on the guns it’s best suited for, RPK and HK. The effect especially on the HK is profound.

If however your aim is bad you are going to be wasting bullets. Using the tactic I am describing it is completely wasted, you don’t want to be killing quickly. It costs 2000.

Traps and Teleporter. Traps cost 1000 points each and are always OHK on any zombie that runs through them. They last 30 seconds and have a 90 seconds cooldown period before being useable again. If you run through a trap without juggs you will die, if you run through with juggs and full health you will live but be one hit away from death.

The teleporter servers 2 functions….the biggest and cheapest trap you have and as a gateway to Pack a Punch, and 30 seconds of safety. To use the teleporter you first need to initialise it from the stage area, then initialise it from the teleporter receiving pad in the spawn area. When you use it you will be teleported to an area above basically the spawn. You are able to look back at the stage and the zombies will collect here, looking up at you. Grenades can be purchased in here for 250.

Pack a Punch is a machine in this room, costing 5000. It improves any gun placed in it, some much more than others.

Round 10 and above.

From no onwards it all depends on your ability and confidence as to how you are going to proceed. You should now both have Juggs, and MP40 and Quick Revive. You don’t actually need anything else at all and you can go to round 40.

Any round from now onwards is going to be basically the same.

Part 1 – initial spawning. Collect as many zombies as possible before using the teleporter.

Part 2 – collecting. From the safety of the teleporter you are aiming to have all 24 zombies spawned and in the stage area. You can kill them by throwing grenades down or shooting them. As a beginner I advise against this.

Part 3 – arriving on receiver pad. If you haven’t killed anything this area is going to be empty and safe. Within 10 seconds lots of zombies are going to appear out of the big doorway in front of you.

Part 4 – moving safely. The idea is to take the following path/loop at walking pace.

From Spawn move to PM63, then to Portrait Room, Stairs of Death, MP40 room, Dressing room, Back of Stage, Stage, Corridor, Spawn.

Essential beginner tip –

Catch me if you can. Your walking speed is equal to a zombies fastest run. This is key for all things zombies. What it means is that if you are moving forward and can’t see anything in front of you, you are completely safe. On kino especially this is very important.

Part 5 – how to kill and when to kill. This is where it gets tricky and knowledge of how and why they spawn is essential. If you have 24 spawned on a level, which is the maximum whenever one is killed a new one will be spawned somewhere close to a players location. If you kill 2 at a time, 2 new ones, 3 at a time, 3 new ones etc. The only ‘safe’ place to kill a large group is the stage or using the trap leaving the dressing room. This is safe simply because it’s the only area you can handle a brand new spawn. Beginners will struggle with this without access to the teleporter especially on the higher rounds.

Whilst you are walking the loop if you kill anything coming from behind you, the new ones will spawn in front of you. If you are going down the stairs of death and there are 2 crawlers there if you are not able to jump over them, or lead them out you are trapped/pincered/screwed.

My guidelines for shooting. There are 4 main places you can ‘safely’ shoot into zombies from. Past round 20 it doesn’t make much difference as you won’t be killing them quickly enough to cause a problem. Before 20 you are going to have to figure it out somewhat for yourself. The first time you try this tactic you are going to understand what I am saying.

For beginners it’s best if only 1 of you shots, the other should be watching for spawning zombies around you. Once you are more experienced you can both shoot but for now it’s much safer for only one.

Place 1 – from the receiving pad. Shoot for 5 seconds into the group coming from the doorway in front.

Place 2 – the tiny corridor between the PM63 and Portrait room. Again, no more than 5 seconds.

Place 3 – dressing room at mystery box location.

Place 4 – back of stage….when you are coming out of the dressing room you can go left or right around the big huge thing, not sure what is it now! Go to the right and look back into dressing room.

They will funnel in a straight line to you in all these locations.

During all this you may be wondering well how the hell do I actually kill anything?

Traps and the teleporter are the answers. Past round 35 it’s pretty much the only way, excluding very high level hoard combining and Thundergun.

After using the teleporter you have 90 seconds to wait before it cools down again. This is the same time it takes to do 2 loops. The safest possible way to do Kino is like this.

After using the teleporter do not kill anything, just walk the loop twice which will ensure all zombies are behind you. Get the teleporter ready (hopefully on the 2nd loop) and do the loop for a 3rd time (if it wasn’t ready). This time though when you get to the dressing room you are going to use the trap. It will kill all 24 zombies but will start spawning them all immediately. This is why we have waited for the teleporter…once they are all dead it’s like a new round has started.

You can rinse and repeat this continually, over and over again. MP40 ammo is freely available, but it’s going to take some time. It’s taking roughly 150 seconds or so to kill 24 zombies.

To do things faster it’s difficult to explain some of the things that you need to work out. Whilst walking the loop you can kill a few zombies, if you are confident moving through the areas in front of you with new spawners. You need to begin to understand how quickly they spawn, and how long it takes to kill them.

What’s next?

Time for the magic of the mystery box.

The 2 weapons that are ultimately the end goal are the Crossbox upgraded, and the ThunderGun. Ray Guns are good until level 19, whilst they are still OHK. Past that point they need to be handled carefully otherwise you are leaving crawlers all over the place. They are good for removing a single zombie in your path all the way to 30, but it’s going to start taking lots of shots.

You both want monkeys as well. These are tactical grenades that take 2 seconds to prep and throw but once out every zombie on the map will make a beeline to them. They last about 10 seconds but during this time you are completely safe.

You want the Thunder or Crossbox gun as your first or 2nd, you don’t want any chance of losing it if you have picked up Mule Kick.

If you get a Ray Gun take it and then get Mule Kick. For the 3rd gun buy an MP40. If you struggle with the Ray Gun or it’s past level 20 just have 2 guns, MP40 and Thunder or Crossbow.

The Thunder gun is always OHK on any zombie close enough to the initial blast. Even if they are not killed they are thrown out of the way.

The crossbow upgraded acts bait to the zombies. The fired bolt will be chased by any zombies nearby, before it explodes after 3 seconds or so.

When you are running the loop on higher levels, someone needs to always be watching the front with either of these guns out and ready to use.

With this setup you are good to go forever, it will just take lots of time!

There is more to come to this guide, much more but I want to see how this goes first. More stuff includes how to revive, how to recover and how to do things really quickly.

I hope you enjoy it as it is.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic