No Man's Land: Survival Guide

I don't see how you shoot and stay alive with the M&S without juggie and still live. Whenever I do it I get cornered with the zombies all up on this and I either shoot down and explode or get eaten...

I usually just come back to No-Mans Land Absolutly LOADED and go all Ninja on the zombies and rack up kills with 3 weapons, about 6 grenades and 3 Gerches, a bowie knife, and, If I'm luckey a death machine. (still workin' on gettin the 90 second death machine on solo.)

Whenever you come back the zombies health resets, giving you about a minute of insta-kill with the bowie knife (never tried PAP ball. knife.). You then go all mustang and sally WITH FLOPPER, and gather a horde and just gain absolute masses of points (for early rounds anyway) shooting an MG. Get Juggie, Quick revive, Flopper, and mule kick. make sure Juggies there so you can get it without having to retreat. If you do it right you get absolute MASSES of kills.

After you get M & S, you have to horde them up as best you can and shoot only ONE bullet if you shoot the ground near you OR shoot two when they are far enough away that you won't take damage. I think between getting M & S and getting jug is the hardest part for me, too. Just takes practice. I usually run around then try to shoot them when they're in the lake.

P.S. Your haiku or whatever in your signature line is buggin' me out right now.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how you shoot and stay alive with the M&S without juggie and still live. Whenever I do it I get cornered with the zombies all up on this and I either shoot down and explode or get eaten...

I usually just come back to No-Mans Land Absolutly LOADED and go all Ninja on the zombies and rack up kills with 3 weapons, about 6 grenades and 3 Gerches, a bowie knife, and, If I'm luckey a death machine. (still workin' on gettin the 90 second death machine on solo.)

Whenever you come back the zombies health resets, giving you about a minute of insta-kill with the bowie knife (never tried PAP ball. knife.). You then go all mustang and sally WITH FLOPPER, and gather a horde and just gain absolute masses of points (for early rounds anyway) shooting an MG. Get Juggie, Quick revive, Flopper, and mule kick. make sure Juggies there so you can get it without having to retreat. If you do it right you get absolute MASSES of kills.

With Juggernog, it's pretty easy to shoot two bullets into a horde at full health. However, the next thing that hits you will red screen you, so be warned. Without Juggernog, shooting two shots into the water at a pretty safe distance seems to work well. One shot won't kill you at full health, no matter what, but if you are hit directly after the shot, you will die. Hope that helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got 250 kills using the tele-pad strategy. I just kept looping around and when I had about ten or more zombies, killed them and this meant that they were continually spawning which kept my kills going up quite quickly. Might try for 300+ sometime but for now i'm done with NML, 250 was my goal.

I was a bit worried at the end though, I was on 243 kills, had 3 shots left. I got the whole group and fired all of them at once, ended up with 249 and some crawlers. Had to go for another two or three minutes knifing crawlers to finally hit 250.

• 4 weeks later...

call me a noob but cant you wait it out after running out of ammo; i mean if i remember correctly in other maps like five after a while the zombies kill themselves. (sorry i don't have moon :( so i cant really prove it.)

I think that's only if you change floors in the elevator, the zombies respawn on the floor you move to, not die completely.

call me a noob but cant you wait it out after running out of ammo; i mean if i remember correctly in other maps like five after a while the zombies kill themselves. (sorry i don't have moon :( so i cant really prove it.)

They die out yes, but what's the point in that? You don't get more kills.

• 3 weeks later...

i cant thank you all enough! Ive been complety oblivious to this and have basically just been trying to get the teleporter asap. your tactics and explanations have definetly helped(even though i suck at moon). this is trenchman1023,sending out my regards and plenty of [brains]

i cant thank you all enough! Ive been complety oblivious to this and have basically just been trying to get the teleporter asap. your tactics and explanations have definetly helped(even though i suck at moon). this is trenchman1023,sending out my regards and plenty of [brains]

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

One day someone will get to 400 legitly and i will be happy.

I believe it is technically possible, but that it won't happen.

Steve has the current highest with 381, and Mato has the highest probable score game currently known.  378 kills with 8 bullets left, then Alvar has 378 too.  Zeus has 377.

I speak to all these guys, Steve all the time about NML.  Yes, it is possible, but the game needs to be absolutely perfect both as a player kiting perfectly, and the random spawns being perfect.

Mato said that his game was absolutely perfect pretty much, yet he was 22 kills short with only 8 bullets left.  The 8 bullets he had left *may* have killed a hoard, but it might have needed 9.  Either way, 8 or 9 required, he would have still been on 398.  

What is required for a 400 kill game?  I will attempt the math.

60 and above kill PAP, guns out before 1:50.  1st shot down before 1:55, 2nd before 2:20, 3rd before 2:45.  

That would be 120 kills, 3 bullets used.  As a reference, in Steve's game, he had 117 kills at 2:50, 4 bullets used.

120 kills - 47/6-6

140 kills - 45/6-6

160 kills - 43/6-6

180 kills - 41/6-6

200 kills - 39/6-6

220 kills - 37/6-6

240 kills - 35/6-6 ***** This is the last group that can be a 2 shot group.  No-one has actually done this well before, the closest was Steve on 226 kills, with 33/6-6 left.  He lost a bullet on the 3rd group, and one on that last 2 shot group.

The last 2 shot group comes at around 5:30, and the only way to do it is to use the cage walls to increase the splash damage.  Luck comes into it.

260 kills - 32/6-6

280 kills - 29/6-6 ***** this is potentially a 3 shot group, but it depends on how close to the last 2 shot group you actually are.  The closer you are, the less likely you are to get a 2nd 3 shot group.

300 kills - 25/6-6

320 kills - 21/6-6

340 kills - 16/6-6

360 kills - 22/6-6

380 kills - 15/6-6

400 kills - 7/6-6

420 kills - 5-6

440 kills - 1-1

The theoretical limit on NML is the above, 440 kills.  You can only waste 2 shots, as that's all you have spare throughout the game.  Those last 2 bullets left, can be wasted.  However, everytime you go below those 2 spare, you need to realise you lose a hoard.  So, we are straight down to 420, with theoretically 11 bullets to be wasted throughtout the game.

To do the above, you need to get every single hoard with 20 kills...losing even one kill per hoard, which past 3 shots is kinda easy to do, even if you only lose past 2 shots takes the total down by 11 more.  Down to 409.  All hoards need to be perfectly timed.

I believe people will come close to the limit, but no-one will get 400 kills.  That is my opinion having played this mode extensively, and having spent hours discussing the ins and outs with the best in the business.

Note - some of my numbers could be argued a little, but not more than a bullet or 2 here or there.  Certainly not enough to gain the 9/10 shots required for a whole additional group.

• 3 months later...

Still amazing with all the NML Mato & Steve played this year nobody has yet break 400.

My money is on Mato though, 100% Only because he doesnt stop when Steve beats his scores,

dont get me wrong they go back & forth all the time but i just feel like Mato would be really satisfied if

he had the WR for Solo Ascension & NML.

I only have 176, but i actually havent sat down and played for a few weeks strictly NML

I want too, like really really soon.

I don't think anyone will shoot 400.

Steve has been playing solidly since he shot 390, and he has only beaten that twice, with 391 and 393.

As an aside, he has gotten every number from 380 to 390 at least once, and has gotten 389 on 5 occasions.

So you see just how much further 400 is from that.

60 6/6/50 - 0 bullets, guns out of machine.

80 6-6/49 - 1 bullet

100 6-6/48 - 1 bullet

120 6-6/46 - 2 bullets

140 6-6/44 - 2 bullets

160 6-6/42 - 2 bullets

180 6-6/40 - 2 bullets (go to PAD after killing this hoard) (has to be cage shot for 2 bullets)

200 6-6/38 - 2 bullets (go to PAD after killing this hoard) (has to be cage shot for 2 bullets)

220 6-6/36 - 3 bullets 

240 6-6/33 - 3 bullets *

260 6-6/30 - 3 bullets *

280 6-6/27 - 4 bullets

300 6-6/23 - 5 bullets 

320 6-6/18 - 6 bullets 

340 6-6/12 - 7 bullets

360 6-6/5 - 7 bullets

380 5-5 - 8 bullets

400 2 bullets left on 400

* Both these shots are very difficult to get in 3 shots - the first is probably a 50/50, the second more like a 10% at best chance.

The numbers above are not the theoritical maximum, but the literal maximums that have been experienced somewhat repeatedly.

If you look, you can get to 400 with just 2 bullets spare.  

And that means both of those groups that I have listed, were 3 shots.

The 2nd single shot, can very easily be 2 shots.

You need a 60 kill PAP, and then all groups to be a full 20 killed at the earliest possible time, with the least number of bullets.

Basically a perfect game.

I had the numbers already for personal use, and I've provided them to others before.

I'm lucky in that I was able to figure out these numbers by spending hours and hours talking to mainly Steve and Scottie, but also Mato as well.

Steve always knew them, it's one of the reasons he is so good at it.  Once you know these numbers, especially at the top end it becomes easier and easier to improve at the game.

It's something that can only be learnt by spending hours and hours playing, and completing many games.  My game got 20 or so kills better when I started concentrating on shooting the right number of bullets, rather than concentrating on killing the hoard.  My average is now sitting around the 350 mark - if I complete a game now, it's rare I don't shoot above 350.  That's almost solely down to knowing these numbers, and being able to relate them to the game I'm in.

Hi Choppernator, thankyou for your advice. I'm currently going through a small map faze of my zombies hence gravitating towards NML, bus depot etc. Moreso to fine tune some skills to become a better player. May i ask, with players such as yourself how much pain and dissapointment is involved? do you still have shocking runs? i personally try to better myself and a failure is exactly that a failure. Obviously people get the good with the bad attempts. i cant seem to find any sort of consistency therefor judging my ability by that thinking i'm not improving.

Sorry for the speil, just thinking out loud

NML is only about pain.  Every player I know who has shot above 360, has at least broken a controller or headset.

Steve threw his headset against the wall not that long ago, Mato broke his controller, I've broken a headset, controller and TV remote in the last 3 months playing.

I can spend 2 hours not getting above 100 kills.

An hour not PAPing once.

Some caveats about that - I'm playing for very particular scores and starts, therefore it generally takes longer to get going.  I can start games less frequently as in a lot of them I am wasting my time.  To beat my high of 360, I can't just start any game.

Starting buzzers -

1st - running warning.

2nd - running.

3rd - grenade cooking.

4th - dogs now 3 stabs, warning for 2nd grenade.

5th - your 2nd nade has to beat this.

6th - guns in warning.

7th - 2nd single shot warning.

8th - 2nd single shot must beat this to help with the next spawn.

The 3 key points in the first 2 and a half minutes are the 3rd buzzer, the 5th and the 8th.

Let me explain a little about the 3rd buzzer.

If your nade goes off before it, the spawn after the 2nd grenade is broken.

If your nade goes off after it, but doesn't hit all zombies, the spawn after the 2nd grenade is broken.

If it goes off too long after the buzzer, the next spawn will never be 20, leading you to only kill 15 or so zombies with the 2nd grenade.

Now the 5th buzzer - if your nade goes off after this, all the zombies will pretty much be 2 stabs rather than one, and straight away you are too slow.

Any dogs you have on the PAD with you, will have had their health reset.

Now the 8th buzzer - if you shoot your single shot after this buzzer, you can and will kill the hoard most of the time, but the next spawn will be truly awful.

You have to beat the buzzer with that bullet to ensure a chance of getting a full spawn.

This spawn more than any other is my goal in any game.  If I don't beat it, I generally restart.  I've had too many games like this where I end up shooting somewhere between 340 and 350, but I know that from the start the game is doomed to be a 365ish max.

Some of the above isn't set in stone, but 90% of the time the game will behave as I have described.

NML is frustrating however you are - if you are just starting, its just ridiculously hard and frustrating.

The more you play, it just gets worse.  I can start a game, with time to play for 2 hours and turn it off within 5 minutes.

The game is truly very glitchy, and if a few bad things happen in a row, I just quit.

Examples - knife lag from the start, back corner spawners when you are moving through the cage for your first grenade, bad dogs spawns just as you go onto the teleporter PAD (sometimes as you get up there 2 spawn in the back corner, right as well restart).  Walking zombies, the list seriously goes on in ways the game can by design, bad luck or simple gameplay flaws fuck you over.

You can get 10 plus speed colas in a row, and then on every Jugg that spawns you only get 6 or 7 zombies before they start running.  This can go on for 30 plus minutes where I literally don't even get a chance at a game.

On the other hand you can have an hour session whereas I PAP everytime, the spawns are all really big, and in an hour I've gotten 4 or 5 350 plus games.

I both love and hate NML, as do most people :)

Wow, thanks for such a detailed reponse. I guess i'm human after all. You actually give me will now. Yes i'm just starting out, my first zombies experience was tranzit so now i'm working backwards. To say the least i was terrible at zombies at first and my will to get better became somewhat addictive, hence my love for the game.

I've actually spent my day off work yesterday practicing 360 degree revives, so i'm trying to better myself, the inconsistancy is somewhat depressing. You have given me more ammo to keep trying. I only bough this up as you guys make it look so easy. But then again i guess most videos only show the good runs.

Cheers Craig