No Man's Land: Survival Guide

The key is to establish a certain routine of throwing grenades at the right time. With your second train, you'll always want to shoot your pistol ammo into them so that, when the grenade explodes, you can pack-a-punch immediately. This can lead to incredibly fast PaP times and with careful training, the ability to hit 300 kills.

At a rough estimate 3500 after first grenade (not that difficult but difficult to be fast :o ) including any knifing kills, then training and getting rid of 3 * 8 bullets to gain an extra 720 points before the 2nd grenade will leave you on around 4800 after throwing it.

BTW this is a pretty rough estimate, no man's land rarely goes perfectly but there are methods you can use to maximise most runs. To get 300 you need lots of things to go well for you, in the first 3 minutes of the game.

The key really is how you throw them to consistently get good results regardless of luck. Everyone will get games where they get perfect grenades but it's never a guarantee so you want to be in a position to maximise anything that is left. You want to be walking backwards as it goes off with clear space behind you.

On the first grenade you are going to want to shot no more than 8 bullets to clear any fast crawlers and quick runners whilst your dazed, then as you come clear you can run forward and stab 2 or 3 zombies.

On the second grenade you want the same but ideally you want to be able to step sideways after throwing it and loop around so that you can run towards the crawlers and fire any remaining ammo then stab once or twice to get enough points for pap.

I made a short video of what I think is the most consistent grenade you can try and throw.

85DnutpJr5k

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my favorite thread. Thanks for some extra tips, guys.

[brains] x5

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet that I thought I'd throw out there is to try to slice and NOT stab the zombies, especially before the first siren. Stabbing takes just a little bit longer and leaves you open to get hit more easily. If you push forward then back on the left analog while you knife, you should slice most of the time.

No Man's land is my favorite part of Zombies right now, but it's frustrating as hell. lol

Crescent is this shape

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... nt.svg.png

If you perform that shape going backwards it's incredibly effective at quickly collecting zombies into a small group.

A cutback would be when you get to the point on either end of the crescent and you quickly reverse direction, circling slightly outside the imaginary area you have just traced to avoid any hits. Eye and I are working on some video guides to some of the more advanced kiting stuff, look out for it!

Thanks much!

I learn so much from here :D

This is my favorite thread. Thanks for some extra tips, guys.

[brains] x5

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet that I thought I'd throw out there is to try to slice and NOT stab the zombies, especially before the first siren. Stabbing takes just a little bit longer and leaves you open to get hit more easily. If you push forward then back on the left analog while you knife, you should slice most of the time.

No Man's land is my favorite part of Zombies right now, but it's frustrating as hell. lol

Yep, slicing is the difference between living and dieing. Any single zombie in front of you should be able to be dealt with via 2 slices as you move 180 degrees around him. I think there are a few examples in my video.

Here is a video of a 90 second PAP. I can consistently get very close to this time regardless of the start, I just pretty much need 1500 before they are running and I'm always good. After they start running I manage to kill 4 without a hit due to slicing instead of stabbing. I'm either moving backwards or sideways as I stab them all and it makes all the difference.

4_E0dZCouTU

I just noticed a nice nuance to ChopperNator's technique, that I think I'll start trying to implement immediately into my own game...

When ChopperNator primed his first nade, he started leading the zombies towards back-swamp area.

Me... I've been hanging a left, and running across the front side of the cage, cooking the nade for a second, and then throwing it to at the ground as I pass by. Then turn 180 and start shooting/knifing as the nade explodes on the other side of the cage.

I think ChopperNator's technique shaved him a couple extra seconds, and left a bigger area open to slash up the left over crawlers in. So it's slightly faster, and safer than what I've been currently doing.

I just noticed a nice nuance to ChopperNator's technique, that I think I'll start trying to implement immediately into my own game...

When ChopperNator primed his first nade, he started leading the zombies towards back-swamp area.

Me... I've been hanging a left, and running across the front side of the cage, cooking the nade for a second, and then throwing it to at the ground as I pass by. Then turn 180 and start shooting/knifing as the nade explodes on the other side of the cage.

I think ChopperNator's technique shaved him a couple extra seconds, and left a bigger area open to slash up the left over crawlers in. So it's slightly faster, and safer than what I've been currently doing.

It took me a while to work out that nade consistently, it makes a huge difference as the result is almost always the same with minimal risk. You can throw faster grenades a kill them all before the 3rd buzzer but it relys too much on really nice spawning so they all group together perfectly for you. I like the ease of this way :D

I believe I have found almost a routine that you can do to almost guarantee over 200 kills each time. I'm trying to make a guide from it, with the end goal being 300 kills.

Congrats, MMN! Man, I wanna get higher than my 210 now. I died so stupidly. Everything was going well. I had gotten M&S and Jug then was running the figure 8 at the teleporter and there was ONE crawler and I shot at him and killed myself. I hadn't even exhausted all my M&S ammo yet. I wanna be able to use it all up then go to Moon and get a high Solo score to go along with a record (for me) No Man's Land score.

Keep trying! Gonna be at it again tonight!

Oh, and I completely agree with you about NML helping my overall Zombie playing ability big time.

EDIT: YEAH! I just got 231 kills AND I managed to teleport to the Moon after I used up my M&S. I should be top on my friends list now and I'm still playing to try to get a good Solo score! Whooooooooooooooot!

P. S. - I'm on round 5 with M&S, Commando, Galil, Jug, Revive, Flopper, Mule and 17300 points!

That 261 kill game was the best Moon game of my life! After I beasted NML, I teleported to Griffin Station, and eventually died on round 42. So I beat both my personal records for highest kills in NML, and highest round on Moon within the same game.

I'm going to try to get a few more high kill games using the teleporter pad strategy. Once I get comfortable enough with that, I'll try to transition over to the back swamp area and see if I can push it to 280+ kills.

I've noticed my own biggest problem with NML, is staying relaxed. I usually screw up when I get too tense. I think more clearly, keep tighter circles, and stay more composed when I'm relaxed. So often I'll hit pause and take two breaks during a NML run. One break right after I PAP my pistols, and the second is right around the time I get Jugg. I just hit pause, take a deep breath, and walk away for the game for a few minutes. Meditate or do whatever I need to do to get my heart rate down and think clearly again. Once I'm back in a calm state and ready to engage beast mode on those zombies, I'll unpause the game again.

Managed to Pack-a-Punch before getting Juggernog for the first time yesterday! Got 60 kills because I accidently downed myself with them. Tried it again and I managed to get 195 kills! Pretty happy with myself. :)

I think I can do a lot better though. I was using the teleporter strategy, and I was taking too long to fire shots into the horde. Should I let the 24 gather up first? Or should I just try and kill small groups as quick as possible?

Also, I noticed as soon as I got Juggernog and stayed around the teleporter, no more Hellhounds spawned. Not sure if it was a glitch or just luck that they weren't spawning.

Goal at the moment is 200+ so once I can replicate it enough times to get above it, or just geet comfortable with it, I'm gonna do the back pond area.

Managed to Pack-a-Punch before getting Juggernog for the first time yesterday! Got 60 kills because I accidently downed myself with them. Tried it again and I managed to get 195 kills! Pretty happy with myself. :)

I think I can do a lot better though. I was using the teleporter strategy, and I was taking too long to fire shots into the horde. Should I let the 24 gather up first? Or should I just try and kill small groups as quick as possible?

Also, I noticed as soon as I got Juggernog and stayed around the teleporter, no more Hellhounds spawned. Not sure if it was a glitch or just luck that they weren't spawning.

Goal at the moment is 200+ so once I can replicate it enough times to get above it, or just geet comfortable with it, I'm gonna do the back pond area.

You're doing great!

I'm under the impression that the best strategy is to try and fire into the crowd when you got about 5 or more grouped up. Get the kills as quickly as possible because the zombies get tougher every 20 seconds when the bell rings. When you start getting low on ammo, start firing both guns simultaneously into bigger groups of zombies. Knife up the crawlers as much as you can between waves.

The hellhounds won't spawn while you are ontop of the teleporter area. That's part of the benefit of that strategy, and why you haul ass there as soon as you get your M&S.

That 261 kill game was the best Moon game of my life! After I beasted NML, I teleported to Griffin Station, and eventually died on round 42. So I beat both my personal records for highest kills in NML, and highest round on Moon within the same game.

I'm going to try to get a few more high kill games using the teleporter pad strategy. Once I get comfortable enough with that, I'll try to transition over to the back swamp area and see if I can push it to 280+ kills.

I've noticed my own biggest problem with NML, is staying relaxed. I usually screw up when I get too tense. I think more clearly, keep tighter circles, and stay more composed when I'm relaxed. So often I'll hit pause and take two breaks during a NML run. One break right after I PAP my pistols, and the second is right around the time I get Jugg. I just hit pause, take a deep breath, and walk away for the game for a few minutes. Meditate or do whatever I need to do to get my heart rate down and think clearly again. Once I'm back in a calm state and ready to engage beast mode on those zombies, I'll unpause the game again.

Funny, cause I just started doing the same kinda thing. Once I get Jug and kill the first horde that is chasing me, I pause and relax my hands to start again for the next wave.

I just tried the back swamp area and got about 175 with 27 bullets left before a couple dogs trapped me cuz they were too busy taking a piss or something to stay with the group.

Hey what console did you get this on cuz I didn't see your name at 261 when I looked for it or do you use a different SN? I'm on PSN.

Funny, cause I just started doing the same kinda thing. Once I get Jug and kill the first horde that is chasing me, I pause and relax my hands to start again for the next wave.

I just tried the back swamp area and got about 175 with 27 bullets left before a couple dogs trapped me cuz they were too busy taking a piss or something to stay with the group.

Hey what console did you get this on cuz I didn't see your name at 261 when I looked for it or do you use a different SN? I'm on PSN.

Agree with everything you guys have said. Tension always kills me due to the expectations of what I may be about to do. This is especially bad when I have a brilliant start and have around 2500 points when they start running. The way I play I always will kill 4 or 5 zombies once they start running by aiming for the 'weak' members who are away from the safety of the pack. I find it easy to slash them as I go past and then 180 to finish them. With correct timing they can only hit you once or not at all.

When I have a really good start I find my timing becomes way off and these single zombies all hit me at least once, which slows down the killing.

And the dogs in NML follow different physics from standard dogs. They can sprint at you, you slide to the side and where as a normal dog would get carried further past you these will stop and spin on a nickel, then bite you in the ass!

Agree with everything you guys have said. Tension always kills me due to the expectations of what I may be about to do. This is especially bad when I have a brilliant start and have around 2500 points when they start running. The way I play I always will kill 4 or 5 zombies once they start running by aiming for the 'weak' members who are away from the safety of the pack. I find it easy to slash them as I go past and then 180 to finish them. With correct timing they can only hit you once or not at all.

When I have a really good start I find my timing becomes way off and these single zombies all hit me at least once, which slows down the killing.

And the dogs in NML follow different physics from standard dogs. They can sprint at you, you slide to the side and where as a normal dog would get carried further past you these will stop and spin on a nickel, then bite you in the ass!

This ^ and what about those dogs that jump all the way across the lake to land RIGHT in front of you and get you killed? Man what a pain. I just had two of the best starts ever (didn't have to knife any zombies after my second nade and all my ammo was gone) then I died...

I have the same problems lol :P

I'm getting so nervous when playing NML. My heart is bouncing like it never did before.

Even when I play a map which I usually suck at and trying to get high with a new strategy. I mean mostly COTD with that, since I'm still a noob there and I die because I'm nervous.

But I keep practising!

It's all about a 90 second PAP with 500 points already on the board before you take M&S. I've played countless times and although I have seen 2 videos with a quicker PAP they were freak events.

The next game after I posted this I did this....

KgAGaV8eOqY

As long as I have over 1670 points I normally always get the PAP. The difference being whether I have to stab after the second grenade or not.....this adds at least 20 seconds to the time.

Aw Chopper! You should have had a brilliant game with that professional PaP, how did that game end?

179 kills 4 minutes 40 seconds and 44 bullets left. Was not happy, keep getting caught in the same place by a damn glitching dog that just stops and stands still by the side drop in the swamp area.

Here's some additional tips on using the M1911 in NML

- Make sure you always have at least 1 bullet left in the clip before you reload. This makes you reload slightly faster than if the chamber was empty. You shave a fraction of a second here. So for that reason I just pretend I have 7 bullets in the clip instead of 8.

- Bullets can only penetrate through 3 zombies max, so as long as you have 3 or more zombies lined up in a row, you are good to start popping off rounds to build points.

Here's some additional tips on using the M1911 in NML

- Make sure you always have at least 1 bullet left in the clip before you reload. This makes you reload slightly faster than if the chamber was empty. You shave a fraction of a second here. So for that reason I just pretend I have 7 bullets in the clip instead of 8.

- Bullets can only penetrate through 3 zombies max, so as long as you have 3 or more zombies lined up in a row, you are good to start popping off rounds to build points.

The 1 in the chamber is really good advice for another reason.

If you run out of bullets and then try and stab immediately it will automatically try and reload. This has downed me many times, you are expecting to stab and be in a particular location and then suddenly you are 2 metres away and fucked!