I actually really like Call of the Dead now...

Never used to be much of a fan of this map. I guess I saw the intro, the zombies coming and carrying George off and making him a zombies, then him just annoying the hell out of you the whole time. I was like "Seriously, I mean SERIOUSLY, why did 3ARC actually think this would be a good idea?" The first 2 days I mostly played solo, did round 34 on the first day (died after dscovering that even the upgraded Scavenger stops 1-hit killing at round 34), and round 68 on the second day. I just remember the whole time wishing George wasn't added to the map.

But I've played a few games on it again over the past couple of days and just seem to have grown to like it. Having George around sort of keeps my head in the game. Normally after round 30 I'm just running around on auto-pilot mode, not really paying much attention to what I'm doing but still breezing through the rounds. But with COTD I guess having George around addes the need to concentrate on where you're firing, making sure you don't walk slowly past him or he'll wack you - pretty much just concentrating on not pissing him off.

It's also nice to have the OPTIONAL side objective of killing George, if you didn't want to you could just leave him be, if you killed him, he'd be back in a few rounds anyways. But if you do kill him you get greatly rewarded with an extra perk and, if you've done the EE, a Wunderwaffe, which is an awesome weapon to use if you have PhD Flopper.

Gotta say now I prefer COTD to Shangri La. I'd take George over the napalm zombie any day, at least George gives you a reward for taking him out and doesn't steal your kills.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

COTD is actually my fav map of all the zombies maps for zombie killing. Take out George romero with VR11 and you will be left with plain old zombies that I Enjoy busting their heads off with my AK74fu2. I did 40 rounds solo on COTD with no box hits and suicided later. But its a good challenge past that round because VR11 is a tactical weapon but you can still take out Romero with it and will be left with nothing but zombies and a primary weapon, so choose it wisely. AK or scavenger and ofcourse I am talking upper 40's where scav is usually not a one shot kill.

By the time you get past 40, you have to get a new Scavenger every round or two. I really wish this map had either traps or a power weapon that gave you drops. This map was made so that you do the easter egg, kill George with the vr11 and get the wunderwaffe. I actually died on 39 (my high round. It's no 68, but I was proud of it nonetheless) yesterday because I got cornered with only a few scavenger shots left and only had about 25k points so I didn't want to piss it away into the ground. But, whatever. I think I'll do the easter egg tomorrow night so I can get the wunderwaffe every time I kill george with the vr11. Then I'll probably go with the scavenger or mustang and sally.

But yeah, at first I found that I sucked at this map, but I think I'm really becoming a pretty solid zombies player, so all these maps that I used to hate because they were too difficult (Five and Call of the Dead) I'm starting to really enjoy because they give me a challenge. :D

Yeah I've only really played this map maybe about 10-20 times overall, tried the VR-11 PaP'd, which as you said gets rid of George which I found pretty cool. Think I might incorporate it into my later rounds strategy, in most maps I like to have the Mustang & Sally as a save-my-ass weapon but in COTD it's just not needed, I never ever get stuck or go down in the AK74u area. I do normally use the box at about round 15 to get the Scavenger but once or twice I've gone 40+ with the M&S & AK combo, suiciding at the end.

So I'm guessing I'll go with a Ray Gun & AK combo in the early rounds, Ray for taking out George to get all the perks and AK for racking up points. Then after I'm done with all that, trade the Ray Gun & AK for the Scavenger to kill the zombies & VR-11 to get rid of Romero. Then at round 34 when the Scavenger just leaves crawlers everywhere, I'll swap it out to get the AK again. But that said, I do like killing George for the Wunderwaffe, gets the rounds over with really quick and is really nice to use with PhD.

Of course I've already been to 50+ rounds on solo and co-op so it's not like my strategy needed revising, always good to better it though ;)

By the time you get past 40, you have to get a new Scavenger every round or two. I really wish this map had either traps or a power weapon that gave you drops. This map was made so that you do the easter egg, kill George with the vr11 and get the wunderwaffe. I actually died on 39 (my high round. It's no 68, but I was proud of it nonetheless) yesterday because I got cornered with only a few scavenger shots left and only had about 25k points so I didn't want to piss it away into the ground. But, whatever. I think I'll do the easter egg tomorrow night so I can get the wunderwaffe every time I kill george with the vr11. Then I'll probably go with the scavenger or mustang and sally.

But yeah, at first I found that I sucked at this map, but I think I'm really becoming a pretty solid zombies player, so all these maps that I used to hate because they were too difficult (Five and Call of the Dead) I'm starting to really enjoy because they give me a challenge. :D

Well round 39 is something to be proud of on any map :) In fact, round 30 is like my milestone on any new map I guess, I will play a map to death until reach round 30 or I won't be satisfied.

BTW if you're looking to get the Wunderwaffe off George you'll have to kill him with something else, the VR-11 (upgraded) doesn't actually kill George it just makes him go away, so he won't drop a perk or Death Machine/Wunderwaffe.

If you're doing the Easter Egg I'd recommend doing the solo version, much quicker to do and there's good tutorials all over Youtube for it, plus doing it solo you don't have to worry about anyone killing crawlers or anything. You'll still get the Wunderwaffe drop every time youkill Romero so no need at all to do the co-op version ;)

• 1 month later...

just thought id point out, if zombies are electrified theres always a chance of getting a max ammo, don't think they need to be in the water, but i've found that using the wunderwaffe on zombies down the back of the lighthouse after they're electrified gets me one every now and then :)

just thought id point out, if zombies are electrified theres always a chance of getting a max ammo, don't think they need to be in the water, but i've found that using the wunderwaffe on zombies down the back of the lighthouse after they're electrified gets me one every now and then :)

Yep, if George is caught in the crossfire of the Wunderwaffe this for some reason gives the possibility of dropping a Max Ammo.

I HATED COTD when it came out. But the more i played it the more i started to like it. Id say its still my fav map even tho i havent played it since moon came out. I will return one day to continue my never ending battle with my pal george....

I agree with your first 2 sentences.

I now like the challenge of the map. No traps, no 1 hit kill wonder weapons.

It's fun to kill george with the scavenger or V-r11 and kill the zombies with the ak74fu2. It just takes a long time and you get so many points.

Managed round 76 solo on this map yesterday :D Finally beat my record of 68, took a different approach to my later-round strategy of spraying with the Ak74fu2 to save lots of time :lol: instead spamming all of my Scavenger ammo on the group and damaging George in the process, calming him down with the VR-11, repeating until he died and picking up the Wunderwaffe to take out a large number of zombies.

Gonna try and put together a solo guide for Ehj's Masters Guide before he releases it.

Managed round 76 solo on this map yesterday :D Finally beat my record of 68, took a different approach to my later-round strategy of spraying with the Ak74fu2 to save lots of time :lol: instead spamming all of my Scavenger ammo on the group and damaging George in the process, calming him down with the VR-11, repeating until he died and picking up the Wunderwaffe to take out a large number of zombies.

Gonna try and put together a solo guide for Ehj's Masters Guide before he releases it.

Wow nice :o

But what about ammo?

Ammo can be tricky, you sometimes have to end up putting the Scavenger back in the box mid-round and trying for another one. Of course this only works if the box is in a good spot i.e. not at the top of the lighthouse :lol: After you've used up the Scavenger and Wunderwaffe you'll have gotten a fair amount of kills and points so you can try taking out the next few waves with the Matryoshka Dolls to see if you can drop a Max Ammo.

If all of the above fail then you may find yourself spending quite a bit of time finishing the round with the AK so you can leave 1 zombie and safely use the box if it's in a bad location.

COTD is one of the only maps in which I say that Mule Kick is a must. I pretty much point-build up to round 20, hitting the box to get the Scavenger between rounds. Once I have it I leave a crawler at the end of each round, take George away from it and use all the Scavenger ammo to kill him and get a perk. At round 19 I trade out my AK for the VR-11. Then I kill the zombies with a Scavenger shot right next to Romero so it damages him, then calm him down with the VR-11. I continue to use this strategy until I have all the perks, after that I just make him go away with the VR-11 whenever he comes.

I always get Mule Kick as 1 of my first 4 perks so I can keep a Mustang & Sally in my hands when gathering my trains, just in case I happen to get stuck so I can blast my way out of trouble.

The things I buy in order, starting at round 3 normally, are:

Ak74u

Jugg

Quick Revive

PhD Flopper

Mustang & Sally

Mule Kick

Scavenger

VR-11

Also another note - when I do get the Scavenger, I trade it for the AK and then replace my 3rd weapon with the AK again. The reason for this is that if I were to go down, I'd lose Mule Kick and my third weapon; if I make that weapon the AK rather than the Scavenger then obviously I'll have less trouble replacing it than I would have replacing the Scavenger ;)

COTD is one of the only maps in which I say that Mule Kick is a must. I pretty much point-build up to round 20, hitting the box to get the Scavenger between rounds. Once I have it I leave a crawler at the end of each round, take George away from it and use all the Scavenger ammo to kill him and get a perk. At round 19 I trade out my AK for the VR-11. Then I kill the zombies with a Scavenger shot right next to Romero so it damages him, then calm him down with the VR-11. I continue to use this strategy until I have all the perks, after that I just make him go away with the VR-11 whenever he comes.

I always get Mule Kick as 1 of my first 4 perks so I can keep a Mustang & Sally in my hands when gathering my trains, just in case I happen to get stuck so I can blast my way out of trouble.

The things I buy in order, starting at round 3 normally, are:

Ak74u

Jugg

Quick Revive

PhD Flopper

Mustang & Sally

Mule Kick

Scavenger

VR-11

Also another note - when I do get the Scavenger, I trade it for the AK and then replace my 3rd weapon with the AK again. The reason for this is that if I were to go down, I'd lose Mule Kick and my third weapon; if I make that weapon the AK rather than the Scavenger then obviously I'll have less trouble replacing it than I would have replacing the Scavenger ;)

Looks nice :D

But I have the most trouble with the starting rounds, where to stay, where to go, which door open first and stuff. I hope you could give a me a little walktrough for that (a real walktrough, haha you know what I mean :P )

But when do you actually swap your M&S? It is your first weapon, so do you swap it for scavenger? And the 74u for vr11 and then the ak as third weapon? Or not?