Among the Dead. (Interactive story)

Prologue:

Another sleepless night, another camp, and another miserable day in this hell hole of a world. Cold, rainy, low on supplies, Hell, we were low on hope. Could it get any worse? The answer to that question, as always, was yes. Absolutely, under EVERY circumstance yes. You never ask "Can this get ANY worse?", cause as soon as you do, it gets worse. Much, MUCH worse. How i got here, in this place, with this miserable excuse of a group was a long, drawn out story. But hell, it's all i have. It's the only memory i have worth telling. At least people can remember my story if we don't make it out. As Richard would say, "If i'm going to hell, i'm making sure it's crowded when i get there!"

But anyway, my story begins on Normandy Beach, Germany. Just a few days after D-Day. We had just landed to aid a group of Marines on a Search and Rescue mission. What happened that day will be etched into my mind until the day the good lord calls me up.

Chapter 1:

I don't do Rescues...

"Line up men!" The Seargeant was tall, intimidating, and had that 5 o'clock shade that everyone gets from those early mornings. "Sir, yes Sir!" The men lined up, all anxious to see what they would be doing. "Today, you men, for once in your live, have a choice of mission. We are helping the 112 Marine Company on a Search and Rescue mission to find any missing soldiers or groups. There are two teams heading out. Ones gonna be looking in the bunkers, tunnels, and caves. The other is searchin up here on the surface. It's your choice." All of us were kinda bored with the idea of Search and Rescue, and because i'm me, i of coarse said something back. "Uh, Sir. With all due respect, i'm a Sniper. I shoot things from long distances and run special ops. I don't do Rescues." "Does it look like i give a damn what you do soldier? I could care less if what you do! Now make your decision, cause if you don't i will."

So now i had a decision. I could go for searching the Bunkers, Tunnels, and Caves and end up finding either Marines, or a cave in. Then again, i could take the high ground and risk heading headfirst into the biggest line of german tanks on the front.

Now, what did i choose again?

1: Bunkers, Tunnels, and Caves.

2: High Ground.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chapter 2: Part 1.

Dad would be proud...

I told the seargeant i was going for the bunkers. "I have a better chance down there than i do running into german tanks." "Whatever you say Corporal, but a sniper aisn't gonna do much down there. Head over to the tent on the far side of camp. Tell Mickey i sent you." "Yes sir." As i walked to the far side of camp, i passed by a few medical bunkers. Most of the injured just got out with bumps or bruises, but there were a few that weren't as lucky. As i entered the armory tent, i caught a glimpse of a man in his mid 30's, sporting a soul patch, tattoos on his arms, and a purple heart tucked away in his pocket. "Is there somethin i can help you with soldier?" "Uh, yeah." i said, looking at his collection of munitions and weapons. "The Seargeant sent me." He looked at me, stared for a couple seconds, and replied. "Ah, Jimmy sent you eh? What kind of mission?" "Search and Rescue, i'll be heading through the tunnels, bunkers and caves. Lets just say a sniper doesn't do much down there." He nodded his head and chuckled, then turned around and went into the back of the tent.

While he was gone, i had a chance to look at the various medals and pictures he had in the tent. One in particular caught my eye, it was a picture of him standing next to a man, both in their 20's, holding rifles and smiling for the camera. The picture was hanging next to a Medal of Honor and had a note on it reading "Me and my brother, Dad would be proud." That's when it hit me, the man standing next to him was the Seargeant. That's when mickey came back from behind the tent. "So, admiring my medals? Trust me, nothing special. Just pressed pieces of metal." "You're the Seargeants brother?" The tent got dead silent. The only sounds were the waves from the beach and the seagals in the air. "I'd rather not talk about that." "About what, that your brother has been hiding this from EVERY one of his soldiers?" "You would be wise not to take that tone with me!" Once again, silence fell. Everything was quiet for a moment while he calmed himself down. "Here's your loadout. A Thompson with a Drum Magazine, a few Frags, and a M1911. Now you'd best head out, my brother has no patience."

Part 2:

I don't like the dark...

As we went through the first bunker, you could hear men chuckling and poking fun at the dead germans. "Didn't have much fight in you eh? (Laughing)" With every smart comment, my anger grew. Finally i snapped. "HEY! Show a little respect, they might be germans but they deserve respect just like the rest of us!" The room got dead quiet. The men looked around, thinking about the point i'd made. "Whoa now hot-head, keep your cool. Would be a shame if you blew your top in front of the dead germans! (Laughing)" The one talking was Pvt. Joseph Collins, aKa Smarty. He always had something to add into a fight. He was never afraid to throw in his two cents, and that day it almost took me over the edge. I picked him up by his jackets collar, pulled him in close and said "The next time you insult me, your gonna have more to worry about than a few 'Dead Germans'." I must have put the fear of god in him, because he didn't say a word after that. "Hey, you guys might wanna see this!" "What it is Bobby?" "Why don't you come see for yourself."

As we walked over to the back room of the bunker, we saw Pvt. Bobby Wilkins standing over a trap door leading into a tunnel. "Well, why are you just standing there? Get your sorry rear in there!" Bobby looked at me like i was crazy, but he went in anyway. "You see anything down there?" "No sir, it's clear." We all climbed down and one of the men pulled out a torch. "This should help us out." "Where'd you get that?" "Just another one of the perks you get being the son of rich parents." "Well then, i guess we know whos leading us in." As we advanced down the corridor, we all heard a loud bang. "What the hell was that?" We all turned around to find Bobby lying face first on the floor. "(Moaning) You could have warned me there was a hole right there!" As he stood up, we all continued forward. One of the men tapped me on the shoulder and asked me. "What do you thinks down here?" I replied. "I don't know, but I don't like the dark...

As we continued further into the tunnel, we came to an area where there were two tunnels running out to the left and the right. "Which way should we go?" "I have no idea." the tunnel on the left had a blue glow coming from farther inside it. "Maybe we should go that way?" All of the sudden, we heard a loud female scream come from the tunnel on the right. "What the hell!" "That sounded like a woman!" "We should head that way and help her!" "But what about the light coming from that way?" It was up to me to choose which way we'd go.

Which way did we go again?

Follow the blue light and see where it leads.

Head through the tunnel on the right and investigate the screams.

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 3:

Who's Samantha?

We decided to head for the screams and attempt to help whoever was in trouble. I gave the team their orders. "You men head down that tunnel and investigate that light. Me, Joseph and Bobby will head down this one and try and help whoever's down there. Got it?" "Sir, Yes Sir!" As the men went down the corridor, following the light, Me, Joseph, and Bobby sprinted down the tunnel towards the screams. The tunnel led into a huge cavern, but it was a dead end. As we entered the cavern, we saw what appeared to be a man huddling over a Woman. Joseph immediately called out the man. "Hey, get the hell off of her and turn your a** around!" The man stumbled backward a moment, as if confused. What happened next was so terrifying that niether me nor Joseph or Bobby will ever forget it.

"Turn around!" Yelled Joseph. Sure enough, the man did. "(moaning) (screach)" When the man, or whatever the hell he was turned around, we could see all his features. He had bites out of his flesh, bullet holes in him, and even burns on his skin. Bobby fell back. "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!" I wasn't gonna stand around and see what that thing was gonna do. "OPEN F**KING FIRE!" The sound of the gunshots echoed through the tunnels. I guess the rest of the men heard it because they came running in to see what happened. "What the hell is that?" Joseph somehow didn't seem phased from killing it. "I have no idea, but it was about to bury your a**."

Knowing we had to stay on task, i told Bobby to help the woman up. "Bobby, go see if she's alright!" "Uh, alright sir..." Bobby walked over to her. "(Crying)" "Hey, it's alright. That thing's dead." The woman looked up, and responded. "How can you be sure?" When she responded, i got a good look at her. She was young, looked like she was maybe 16 or 17. She was very pretty, but something about her looked familar. Bobby continued talking to her. "Trust me, that things not getting back up after that." "(sighs) I hope you're right..." "Who are you? What are you doing here? Most importantly, what happened?" She had a look on her face, as if going through the memory's trying to remember what happened. "I'm not sure what happened. One minute i was in a building, hiding. The next i was being chased by that thing, and then i ended up here." "I still didn't catch your name..." Just then, i remembered her face. "It couldn't be..." Bobby and the girl looked at me. "What is it sir?" "You're Samantha...Samantha Maxis!"

"You're supposed to be dead, or worse." Joseph looked at me odd, as did the rest of the crew. "Sir, who he hell is Samantha? What do you know that we don't?" "How do you know my name?" "How couldn't I? I've heard almost all of the story. Der Riese, Richtofen, The Meteor. But that thing? I knew they were holding back something, couldn't have imagined it being this..." Bobby stood up, as if insulted i'd never told him about it. "What the hell is Der Riese, Who's Richtofen, and what the hell do you mean by "Meteor" ?!?" It was a side of bobby that we'd never seen before. He was always so cautious and never asked questions, but these things seemed to rub him wrong. "I'm sorry, but i can't tell you. It's Classified." "Classified? CLASSIFIED? Classified my a**!" "HEY! Remember who you're talkin to here!" "I, I...I'm sorry sir. This is all just a little overwhelming..." Just then, one of the men who stayed back in the other tunnel came in. "I don't know what's going on in here, but you guys might wanna see this..."

Chapter 4:

Some stones are better left unturned...

As we entered the room at the end of the other tunnel, we saw something that most of us were confused about. "What the hell is that?" Sitting in front of us was a giant meatal machine. It looked to be made of some sort of industrial steel, and it had a shine to it. The electric conducting metal wires protruding from the top wer attached to electrical cords, running from the machine, to a giant Boiler with a control pannel on one side. On the inside, what appeared to be some sort of electrical conductor with some odd looking light bulbs was on the roof. It was all very high tech looking. "Is it a Power Converter of some sort?" "I'm not sure Bobby." Whatever it was, it was up to me to choose whether we would investigate it immediately, or call it in and wait for someone with more experience to mess with it.

What did i choose again?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...