Ascension Complete Solo Survival Guide

Shooter

Ok so here goes my Solo Survival Guide for Ascension. I've been playing to ridiculous rounds lately as Ascension is quite an easy map once you understand the layout. With this strategy there should be no problem getting to round 40 (guaranteed round 30+,and 50+ is easily obtainable if you're good at it. This strategy can also be applied to two player,which I'll discuss later. First off I'm just going to note now that this technique may not be for everyone, and some already completely mastered this technique. But for those that aren't aware of it, it's been called the circle technique. It involves dodging the zombies while running in a giant circle, waiting until they group up (Max around 25 zombies),and then killing them through the limited use of ammo. Well Ascension is PERFECT for this technique, and in this guide, we're gonna use that to our advantage. I'll break the game down round by round, and throw in the things I've picked up along the way to maximize your points and chance of survival. If anyone that has experience with this technique could throw in some advice it'd be appreciated. I'm gonna try and touch on as much as possible. Please post any links to other Solo Survival Guides for Ascension. Being that there is no search function that I can find on this site, I don't know if there's any other post like this.

:lol: Round 40 with no Raygun or Thundergun HAHAHA,man the box sucked that game!

Neccessary Items:

-Juggernog Perk

-Ray Gun (Porter's X2)

Other great items to have:

-Thundergun (Zues Cannon)

-Awful Lawton (Upgraded Crossbow)

-Gersch Device

-Claymores

-Stamin-Up & Speed Cola

ROUND 1:

Simple enough, just let them bust in so you can get a chance at a power-up from a dead zombie. You're looking for the max ammo. Knife kills only.

ROUND 2 - 3:

Again you're gonna want to let them in if you haven't got the max ammo yet. You won't be staying long so once you get the max ammo just kill the zombies as quickly as possible. You're gonna want to get a crawler at the end of round three. Exit the top door. You'll wanna keep the bottom one closed so protection of Juggernog is easier during the monkey rounds.

*If you need to buy Quick Revive at any point, don't hesitate.

*If you have problems keeping the zombies at bay with just a pistol while letting them in, try knifing them once or twice before they break in. That way when they are in, you'll only have to knife once to get the kill.

*Try to use all of the pistol ammo by round 3 for max points.

ROUND 4 - 5:

Before the round starts, grab the MP5K off the wall opposite the Flopper Lunar Lander. I usually stay up on the square platform outside of Flopper for these two rounds. You're gonna wanna get enough points to buy Juggernog and a weapon from the box. Try to get a crawler at the end of round 5. Open the door by the MP5K,and depending on the amount of points you have available, buy Juggernog and a weapon from the box (If anything I'd buy Juggernog). Return to the platform by Flopper. This is where you will be throughout the game. These rounds usually aren't difficult, so just use the open space to your advantage and always remember to keep moving.

*If you have a steady trigger finger, try getting a single headshot with the MP5K and then knifing the zombie for the kill. This will maximize your points throughout these two rounds, giving you enough money to hit the box a couple times.

ROUND 6 - 10:

This is where the circle technique will come into play. Try starting off standing just outside the Flopper room staring at the staircase. When the zombie start coming near you, run to the right and hug the wall, starting the circle. Continue forward towards the Frag grenades as the zombies are running at you. When you see a gap in the line of zombies (I'd say about a 3 zombie gap is usually neccessary), cut hard to the left, through the gap, and hug the wall by the Flopper room,moving left and completing the circle. If you ever feel like there is too many zombies to run through the gap, try running off the balcony by the frags and move to the left as soon as you jump. Make your way back up the stairs to continue the circle (You should only have to do this if they all come at once, leaving few or no zombies down below). Continue to do this circle with the zombie in tow until they have maxed out at 25 zombies. Then go ahead and kill them, while continuing to run in the large circle. If you have an Assault Rifle or SMG, go for headshots. A raygun would be great right now, but if you don't have one yet don't fret. Just continue to hit the box until you get one. A thundergun would also be a great weapon to have in your arsenal. The combination of the two ensures a round 50+ game for me everytime.

*If you're good with your guns for the next couple rounds and have some money to spare, buy the sickle. It's an insta-kill until round 10, and is good for a two hit kill until around Round 15. And they're amazing with crawlers until round 15+ as well.

*If you're having trouble getting kills after they have piled up, throw some grenades at them (off the walls,off the ground) to make crawlers. It will be much easier to kill them this way.

*If you want to get a head start at getting some perks, Stamin-Up and Speed Cola are gonna be the best ones to get early.

*Before jumping off the edge by the frag (if you can't cut across gap), pause for a second before you jump to give yourself the most time before they turn around. You'll notice when you go off at a certain angle the zombies will all stand still, confused about where you're at. Try to take advantage of the temporary confusion.

*When first starting the pile-up, it may be easier to zig-zag. If this is easier for you, use this method. I just try to keep my circles in that same counter-clockwise motion, so I can jump off the balcony if I ever need to.

ROUND 11 - 15:

You're going to continue the circle technique for the rest of the game now, so get comfortable with it. During these rounds you're gonna want to try to get Stamin-Up and Speed Cola. Flopper if you're feeling frisky with your Raygun. You'll also want to try and get some good weapons out of the box. Buy the sickle of the wall if you haven't by now to max your points during these rounds. Try to get the Raygun from the box if you can. It's going to make it all alot easier. After about Round 20 it'll become a pain for some people if you don't have a Wonder Weapon. Make crawlers at the end of any round if you need to get anything.

*To maximize your points and ammo during these rounds, make crawlers with grenades after you've herded the zombies up, and use your sickle to get a one-hit kill on most of them. Remember to keep to the circle while doing this though! Also the aim can be tricky with the sickle sometimes, so don't find yourself in the middle of a pile of crawlers because of a bad sickle!

*A couple Raygun shots can make 25 runners into 25 crawlers, allowing you too pick them off one by one with your sickle. Another good way to max your points.

*A well placed headshot or two with an assault rifle and a sickle slice will get the kill throughout these rounds. Keeps your ammo use low and your points high.

*Claymores are a great buy, and work wonders for a group of crawlers. If you can store the claymores against the far wall of the platform (wall with painting), you can use them when you have alot of crawlers and don't want to burn up ammo.

ROUND 15 - 20:

Ok, so you're gonna want to open the Pack-a-Punch during these rounds. If you have a Raygun or Thundergun you should be fine, but if not I'd reccommend upgrading one or both of your weapons as the zombies get progressivly harder from here. Continue to do the circle technique, getting as much points as possible to buy the Raygun or the Thundergun. You should have all of your perks by now, and Claymores to finish up crawlers. If you happen to come across the Crossbow in the box, buy it and upgrade it. The power of these things suck, but you're only going to use them for their monkey-bomb characteristic. If you come across a time where it's getting crowded or you can't jump the gap of zombies and must jump off the edge, shooting an upgraded arrow will distract the zombies for about 4 seconds. This will give you the time to get the circle back in form. Turns out the Awful Lawton is good for something!

*Gersch Devices are great if you find yourself getting into trouble, but remember that they take a second or two to throw and activate. Try cooking them to decrease the deployment time.

*Claymores are given every round after purchase, so make use of them each round

*If space gets tight and you have a Raygun, make a crawler and jump over him to get to open space

*Be sure to buy Phd Flopper if you have the Raygun so you don't take any collateral damage

ROUND 21 - 30:

By now, all of the doors have been opened, the Pack-a-Punch is open, and the perks have been purchased, so just continue the circle technique. Once you get to these rounds, it's a good idea to encorporate the fire trap into your strategy as well. After you have herded the max number of zombies, lead the 25 towards Pack-a-Punch. With the zombies in tow, set the fire trap as you're going through it and head up the stairs to the right to get back into the building. Keep right inside the building and exit via the hole in the wall to the right. Be sure to wait for all the zombies to run through the trap before jumping down. The zombies will be killed in the fire trap, so you want to head back to the flopper platform as soon as possible to continue the circles. If you do have a Raygun or Thundergun, now's the time to upgrade it.

*A Porter X2 Raygun blast and a sickle or two will kill the zombie, maximizing your points.

*Death Machines can actually do you more harm then good at this point in the game. You move too slow with them and the firepower is not quite as powerful on the later zombies. Take caution when picking one of these up.

*Try to concentrate you fire to save ammo. Kill your crawlers while making new crawlers out of runners, all in one shot. This holds true with the Raygun especially.

*Remember the firetrap does have a cooldown period. I'm not sure how long exactly but I'd give it at least 2 and a half minutes. Also keep in mind, while having Juggernog you can run through the firetraps without dying, although you do take damage.

*Gersch Devices are good to have now. Use them in case of emergencys or when max ammo gets dropped to buy some time.

*Don't worry if you think you're going to kill the last zombies through the firetrap unless it looks like it's not the full amount of zombies. If it's the max number of zombies running through, there's more waiting to come out.

ROUND 31+ :

So that's the basic strategy for the rest of the rounds. Run circles to herd the zombies, kill them in groups, use the trap to conserve your ammo, and make crawlers at the end of any rounds when needed. And remember, monkeys come every 5 rounds, so try to plan your ammo usage out. You should have an upgraded Raygun and upgraded Thundergun or Crossbow, all perks, claymores, and Gersch Devices during these rounds, or it'll get pretty tough.

*Max ammos tend to appear in the round directly after the monkey round, so use it to your advantage.

*Zombies that are killed through the firetrap or from the Thundergun will not drop power-ups.

MONKEY ROUNDS:

During the first two monkey rounds, feel free to protect whatever perks you may have. After that start to take caution during these rounds. The monkeys become more powerful everytime and can get you cornered relativily quick. I reccommend to only guard Juggernog at a certain point. If you left the first door (bottom door) closed during the first rounds, guarding Juggernog is alot easier.

*Rayguns work best on monkeys

*Time cooked grenades to kill monkeys with them

*Monkeys can't throw back dolls

*Gersch Devices don't kill monkeys, but only teleport them to another part of the map

*Jump in the air when you see monkeys jumping. You will not take damage if you are in the air when they land their jumps and emit the cloud of dirt.

*Set fire traps at the beginning of monkey rounds to limit the chances of monkeys getting some of your perks that are further away

Other things to note:

-Max Ammo's tend to come on the round immediately after the monkey round, usually quite early in the round too (Thanks Treyarch for giving me another Max Ammo after I just got one! LOL).

-Monkeys come every 5 rounds.

-The only way I can acquire both the Thundergun and the Raygun on Solo is if I get the Thundergun first. I don't know why but that always seems to be the case for me.

-Zombies killed with a firetrap will not drop power-ups.

-Zombies killed with a Thundergun will not drop power-ups.

-This technique can be used for 2 or 3 player zombies matches as well. You just simply have one or two teammates guarding the window in the Flopper room while you run the circles. They just must remember to shoot through the windows and not stand by the door.

Well that's all. Please reply with any input or advice. Send me a message or invite at OstonedshooterO or ChunkyMilkSteak to play sometime.I'd throw up a video but I don't got a capture card, would love to play with someone that did though. Sorry it was so long but I wanted to be descriptive.One Love!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

EDIT 3/9/11

Other suggestions from the community regarding Multiplayer and Solo survival:

there is even a way to do this with 4 ppl.

if everyone got a good weapon, you can split the group in 4:

1 person is running circles at the PaP room. under the rocket and outside nearby the turret

1 person is running circles at the lander past stamin up

2 ppl stay at PHD flopper where 1 is hiding in the room and the other is running circles.

note: 1 of the 2 persons at PHD should have an upgraded ballistic knife. if one of the other 2 gets downed you don't need to run that far. Upgraded ballistic knife revives the player when shooting him and you run fast with it.

example: if you're near PaP with upgraded ballistic, you need to run pretty fast to revive the person who is at the lander past stamin up

. I agree with this strategy accept for one thing. After round 30 or so, having anyone camping in the phd room is just a waste of ammo. you constantly have to waste your ray gun on single zombs comin through the window, untill you have no ammo at all and you gotta break off to your own herding area or die.

My suggestion is to have all players stay on that platform and kill non-stop untill the rounds get to high to kill with guns, then everyone takes their own spot to herd in, merging and traping for maximum kills.

When you get in the higher rounds the monkey rounds are your biggest enemy. especially when you're out of ammo. that's why i have a suggestion that make it easier to survive these rounds with limited/no ammo.

When you're in the higher rounds, i can assume that you have enough money to do this.

when the monkey rounds comes and you have no ammo left. don't think it's important to keep your perks, cause it's not. you're life is more important (obviously). if you have any claymores left you can put them at the juggernog, because after all this is your lifesaver in every round. the claymores will at least stall the monkeys.

the place you need to be is simply at the turrets. turn the turret on when monkeys arrive and i assure you that they make some kills. if you run around the turret well enough you can even survive this monkey round. also what is not unimportant: you can put the traps on so that they can also make a few kills. when the round is coming to an end simply buy the juggernog (and other perks if needed) again and you have survived another round AND got full ammo :)

I'm not saying that you have a 100% survival change. but it really helps a lot.

Monkeys:

once your higher in rounds monkeys are hard to kill. unless you activate every trap then run to the perks and wait. When we do this, me and my usual zombie partner will get situated at the end of round when we think monkeys is next, one person at the pap turret and one at staminup fire trap, when monkey round starts activate those traps and run for the others, turn them on and run one person to jugg and one to speed cola. once the monkeys die down ( you probably wont even see any) run to the other perks u have and kill the few remaining monkeys at them.

Traps are imperative for later monkey rounds. When we dont use traps there are TONS on monkeys, but use those 4 traps and you might have to kill 2 or three, at most.

Oh, and I'd like to add how useful the M72 LAW is when upgraded. If you werent the lucky thundergun spinner, then buy the LAW and PaP it. it have 50 super powerful rounds with 10 in the clip. This thing shreds zombies like paper until round 35ish. My buddy had the thundergun and i had that, and i still had more kills than him for the longest time. Plus the M72 Anarchy is more fun to use than thundergun. just make sure you have PHD flopper for that splash damage.

I will stick with getting the Sickle ASAP, and pooping on zombies until 10. THEN get a crawler, hit the box, and get Juggs, then just wing it from there. For Monkeys, there's gonna be landers spawning right in front of the door for PaP (throw a gersch, if available, at it) and one in front of the flopper area. Hit the fire trap there, or the other side. Then run to Speed Cola (if you bought, I do), because that's the most expensive, and get to Juggernog when they start stealing it, and sort of Benny Hill back and forth. This is for more daredevil players and people who enjoy a nice rage. Worked out for me.
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

too long, didn't read

But yet you take the time to post a response? That's comedic :lol: . It's a survival guide, it's called a guide for a reason, it's gonna have a little wording to it. I'm very sorry if it was too much for your attention span to handle, but if you took the time to actually read it, it might do you some good. What'd you expect for a survival guide to be a couple paragraphs? Please respond more logically than this!

Does that really work out well if a player is in the Flopper room and away from the doorway/by the window? As in will no zombies run in after that player as long as someones got the circle going? If so that would work out great. When I play 2 players, one player is herding by flopper lander and one is in by the PaP room herding. Couldn't figure out what to do with a 3rd player.

Does that really work out well if a player is in the Flopper room and away from the doorway/by the window? As in will no zombies run in after that player as long as someones got the circle going? If so that would work out great. When I play 2 players, one player is herding by flopper lander and one is in by the PaP room herding. Couldn't figure out what to do with a 3rd player.

Yes, it works pretty good with two people. Every once in awhile a random zombie or two will run into the Flopper room, but it's not too difficult if you have a Raygun or the Thundergun. Me and my buddy actually got to level 49 doing this ;)

I have even done it with 3 people, having 2 people in that room and 1 running around outside. It works really well because there is a window that the people in the flopper room can shoot out of. You always make the guy with the thundergun run around though. The only reason we died is because we all ran out of ammo :(

1 person is running circles at the PaP room. under the rocket and outside nearby the turret

2 ppl stay at PHD flopper where 1 is hiding in the room and the other is running circles.

note: 1 of the 2 persons at PHD should have an upgraded ballistic knife. if one of the other 2 gets downed you don't need to run that far. Upgraded ballistic knife revives the player when shooting him and you run fast with it.

example: if you're near PaP with upgraded ballistic, you need to run pretty fast to revive the person who is at the lander past stamin up

This is strategy was well described, however this is the most common strategy out there, and Ascension seems to be taylored to it. I agree with this strategy accept for one thing. After round 30 or so, having anyone camping in the phd room is just a waste of ammo. you constantly have to waste your ray gun on single zombs comin through the window, untill you have no ammo at all and you gotta break off to your own herding area or die.

My suggestion is to have all players stay on that platform and kill non-stop untill the rounds get to high to kill with guns, then everyone takes their own spot to herd in, merging and traping for maximum kills.

[brains] for taking the time to explain this strategy,, judging by alot of the highest rounds of members on this forum,, they need this knowledge .. badly.

I have even done it with 3 people, having 2 people in that room and 1 running around outside. It works really well because there is a window that the people in the flopper room can shoot out of. You always make the guy with the thundergun run around though. The only reason we died is because we all ran out of ammo :(

Yeah, once I get to around Round 40, I don't even use my guns that much. It's pretty much all traps and Gerschs. A Zues blast every once in awhile, but I usually just conserve the ammo in case I get in trouble when I'm doing the circles. Try encorporating the firetraps earlier in the rounds so you can conserve your ammo, and just plan out your ammo usage to make it to the monkey round. These are all just tips of course. Do whatever works best for you :D

hey bro i have a capture card and if you want to every play sometime i will, p.s. im on xbox

Yea, go ahead and send me a message to OstonedshooterO on xbl saying forum or something in the message and I'll add you! I'm working OT this week so I won't be playing much, but next week I'll be on more. Send me an invite if you ever need another guy for slaying or looking for easter eggs or something, I love everything about the zombies!

Thanks for the advice! I'll throw it on the original post! [brains]

This is strategy was well described, however this is the most common strategy out there, and Ascension seems to be taylored to it. I agree with this strategy accept for one thing. After round 30 or so, having anyone camping in the phd room is just a waste of ammo. you constantly have to waste your ray gun on single zombs comin through the window, untill you have no ammo at all and you gotta break off to your own herding area or die.

[brains] for taking the time to explain this strategy,, judging by alot of the highest rounds of members on this forum,, they need this knowledge .. badly.

This is some more great advice! I will be adding this to the original post as well! Ammo definately becomes an issue after awhile! The fire traps do help, but then you're not gonna get the power-ups that drop, so it's got it's ups and downs. But good strategy! Sorta like Ludriciousz said: One person at Flopper, one person at Stamin-up lander, and one outside the PAP room. Everyone herds and traps on their own. Although I imagine is gonna still become an issue, at least the rounds might go faster :lol: .But thanks again for the input! [brains]

PS. That's actually why I made this article. I go on the Highest Round thread for Ascension and see people's highest Solo round at like 27 or something and it amazes me. I thought I'd put something out so if people want to learn a new technique that might be able to get them to higher rounds, they could look at this. And that's why I'm trying to get any extra tips from the community as well for people that are already WELL aware of this strategy. I understand some of you guys are pros at this technique, and I'd love any advice you'd be willing to give to help the next guy down the road. So keep it up guys! and I'll keep the brains coming!

One Love!

Thanks for adding me in the topic!

i have 1 more thing i'd like to add.

When you get in the higher rounds the monkey rounds are your biggest enemy. especially when you're out of ammo. that's why i have a suggestion that make it easier to survive these rounds with limited/no ammo.

When you're in the higher rounds, i can assume that you have enough money to do this.

when the monkey rounds comes and you have no ammo left. don't think it's important to keep your perks, cause it's not. you're life is more important (obviously). if you have any claymores left you can put them at the juggernog, because after all this is your lifesaver in every round. the claymores will at least stall the monkeys.

the place you need to be is simply at the turrets. turn the turret on when monkeys arrive and i assure you that they make some kills. if you run around the turret well enough you can even survive this monkey round. also what is not unimportant: you can put the traps on so that they can also make a few kills. when the round is coming to an end simply buy the juggernog (and other perks if needed) again and you have survived another round AND got full ammo :)

This seems simple, and I will most likely try it with this, but not MLG Legit clutch hardcore pro for me. I will stick with getting the Sickle ASAP, and pooping on zombies until 10. THEN get a crawler, hit the box, and get Juggs, then just wing it from there. For Monkeys, there's gonna be landers spawning right in front of the door for PaP (throw a gersch, if available, at it) and one in front of the flopper area. Hit the fire trap there, or the other side. Then run to Speed Cola (if you bought, I do), because that's the most expensive, and get to Juggernog when they start stealing it, and sort of Benny Hill back and forth. This is for more daredevil players and people who enjoy a nice rage. Worked out for me, I got to 49.

Monkeys:

once your higher in rounds monkeys are hard to kill. unless you activate every trap then run to the perks and wait. When we do this, me and my usual zombie partner will get situated at the end of round when we think monkeys is next, one person at the pap turret and one at staminup fire trap, when monkey round starts activate those traps and run for the others, turn them on and run one person to jugg and one to speed cola. once the monkeys die down ( you probably wont even see any) run to the other perks u have and kill the few remaining monkeys at them.

Traps are imperative for later monkey rounds. When we dont use traps there are TONS on monkeys, but use those 4 traps and you might have to kill 2 or three, at most.

Oh, and I'd like to add how useful the M72 LAW is when upgraded. If you werent the lucky thundergun spinner, then buy the LAW and PaP it. it have 50 super powerful rounds with 10 in the clip. This thing shreds zombies like paper until round 35ish. My buddy had the thundergun and i had that, and i still had more kills than him for the longest time. Plus the M72 Anarchy is more fun to use than thundergun. just make sure you have PHD flopper for that splash damage.

Monkeys:

Thanks for adding me in the topic!

i have 1 more thing i'd like to add.

Awesome stuff guys! I'm gonna make sure to add this stuff on there. It might take a day or two but you guys got more brains coming your way!

This seems simple, and I will most likely try it with this, but not MLG Legit clutch hardcore pro for me. I will stick with getting the Sickle ASAP, and pooping on zombies until 10. THEN get a crawler, hit the box, and get Juggs, then just wing it from there. For Monkeys, there's gonna be landers spawning right in front of the door for PaP (throw a gersch, if available, at it) and one in front of the flopper area. Hit the fire trap there, or the other side. Then run to Speed Cola (if you bought, I do), because that's the most expensive, and get to Juggernog when they start stealing it, and sort of Benny Hill back and forth. This is for more daredevil players and people who enjoy a nice rage. Worked out for me, I got to 49.

Well I'm not quite sure what the heck MLG legit clutch hardcore pro means... :lol: We're talking about zombies right? Haha. But anyways, this is another good way to make loads of points before round 10. If I get some good points during the first few rounds I'll open the doors to get it like I mentioned on the original post. But people just keep in mind you need at least 7500 just to open the doors and buy the sickle. And that'd be without buying the MP5K or Quick Revive if you buy any of those. So yeah, if you can make it that far with a pistol or you got some money then I'd definately buy it. Alternatively, you could just buy the MP5K off the wall,then get a single headshot and just use your regular knife to kill em. You'll make 140 (Instead of 130 for the sickle) a kill and don't have to worry about opening all those doors to buy the sickle. But either way you gotta buy the sickle at one point. Thanks for the tips! I'll throw part of it on there.

PS: "Just wing it past round 10" hahaha too funny. :lol: