Modern Warfare 3: New engine 'would be counter productive'

Modern Warfare 3: New engine 'would be counter productive' says Infinity Ward

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/29 ... nity-ward/

So, all those who voted on my other thread for Modern Warfare 3 instead of Battlefield 3, are you still going to pay for a game which uses 2009, nay, 2005 technology? Bear in mind that all CoD's since 2005 have used the same engine, just slight tweaks. Ill put the poll up again and see what happens.

btw, i recommend you watch the below video in 720p (or 1080p if your PC can handle it), on YouTube.

QComYBWB8b0

*NEW VIDEO*

TBu_tH8muq0

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its really 2007 technology.

-Cod4 released 2007

-WaW 2008

-Mw2 2009

-Black ops 2010

There still has been alot of changes to the engine i.e. streaming.

I would like to have a new engine, but having a modified and advanced version of the engine isn't really that bad.

Actually, the engines used are as follows:

Cod4: IW 3.0 Engine

WaW: IW 3.0 Engine

MW2: IW 4.0 Engine

Black Ops: IW 3.0 Engine

Also, while playing the difference in engines between MW2 and Black Ops are very clear. MW2 played much more smoothly than Black Ops, and why Treyarch chose to use an already twice-used engine (as apposed to a completely superior one) I have no clue. But, as long as MW3 uses the IW 4.0 engine, I'll be more than satisfied.

I don't care what engine it uses. If it is a good game, then I will buy it. Besides, they will be upgrading the engine right? If they upgrade it like they did cod4 to mw2, then the changes will be so big you won't care its not a new engine.

As for BF3, too slow paced for me. Nearly any FPS is faster paced than the BF series. And you need team work to win which sucks because none of my friends will be buying this so i will always get stuck with randoms.

I don't care what engine it uses. If it is a good game, then I will buy it. Besides, they will be upgrading the engine right? If they upgrade it like they did cod4 to mw2, then the changes will be so big you won't care its not a new engine.

As for BF3, too slow paced for me. Nearly any FPS is faster paced than the BF series. And you need team work to win which sucks because none of my friends will be buying this so i will always get stuck with randoms.

You have obviously never played a single battlefield game. If you play on PC you get the greatest team work ever and randoms on Battlefield aren't pricks like the ones on cod.

Lol I hate when people compare CoD to Battlefield. They are very different games. And as for all this engine talk. I say look at CoD 2 and then MW2. VERY much improved. If infinity ward has been improving the already beautiful engine for 2 years then I don't think the next CoD will be graphically lacking. Also the Iw engine is really good at maintaining a good frame rate no matter how much shit is going down. As for battlefield, well I can't stand vehicles and camping. Nuff' said.

Yo. YOU FORGOT THE BOTH OPTION!

Battlefield usually sucks, but Battlefield 3 is different. Bad Company was the first great Battlefield game. And Bad Company 2, never played it, but it looks absolutely awesome. Might not be as good as CoD, but not having played it, I'm not qualified to say one way or the other.

Now Battlefield 3 looks like it'll be better than both Bad Company games. But one thing I hope it retains is a sense of humor we got from Haggard and Sweetwater.

I'm becoming less and less of a typical gamer lately, i'm just a cod fan...so i say cod, i don't think i've ever played a battlefield game...but everytime i've played a game after cod...it just doesn't compare in my opinion. I'll probably end up playing this in the future, but till then my vote is towards mw3

Yo. YOU FORGOT THE BOTH OPTION!

Battlefield usually sucks, but Battlefield 3 is different. Bad Company was the first great Battlefield game. And Bad Company 2, never played it, but it looks absolutely awesome. Might not be as good as CoD, but not having played it, I'm not qualified to say one way or the other.

Now Battlefield 3 looks like it'll be better than both Bad Company games. But one thing I hope it retains is a sense of humor we got from Haggard and Sweetwater.

Battlefield is much more tacticle and badcompany was Dice's premier next gen console game and became a much more just shoot ur enemy's to hell type game. Since Bf3 mp gameplay has not been shown I dont see how you could have a vote on wich is better. If its more tacticle then BC2 it will lose alot of CoD fans. If its less tactical then BC2 then it will be a prettier but also less experienced and perfected version of CoD.

Fair point about BF3's MP not being shown but its going to be really similar to Bad Company 2's. It has more destructibility, graphics have been improved furthermore (and BC2's were awesome even for console), prone is back, you can actually FLY the Jets, more vehicles. Call of Duty has become more about raping the whole team with your killstreaks and near infinite ammo (scavenger). I don't want a game where if I play the game long enough, I can have a pretty similar game each round.

I want a game where I have to depend on the team because to be honest, the mature players are playing Battlefield and the immature 12 year olds hate it, just how I want it. Its feels good reviving your team mate with a defibrulator and receiving ammo from your team mate with the audio cue "Here take some ammo!"... rather than the constant..

"Spy plane ready for deployment"

"Enemy spy plane in the air"

"Enemy chopper in the air"

Id rather have a great game locked at 30fps rather than a mediocre game with horrible visuals at a variable 60fps. I don't know if you have played on the PS3 version of Black Ops but the online, menu's is just so buggy. MrRoflWaffles disk has a unique problem where the menus dont even work properly... its ridiculous. (yeah, unique, he was told this by an Activision member of staff on Twitter).

I want a game where the netcode is solid, the XMB doesn't lag regardless of how awesome the visuals, gameplay and audio in the game is. In Black Ops, whenever im loading a game, trying to switch between in-game menu and XMB my PS3 ends up crashing... Not just mine, but all my friends and PSN friends. Its ridiculous.

Okay, I know that this is just one Call of Duty, but its one Call of Duty too many and there are better games I can spend my hard earned £40 on and better DLC I can spend less than £11.50 on (First Strike) such as only £10 for a whole new expansion pack. Not just some crummy maps, a whole new way to see, hear and play the game.

Sure the IW 4.0 engine in Modern Warfare 2 was nice and silky smooth, but it didn't bring anything new to the table and they aren't even going to even try to build a new engine? A company that has had about 2 years to make a game?

The Frostbite engine is awesome. Id be happy if DICE made another Battlefield game with the same engine, thats how good it is. But I see they aren't going to stand for that and are going after CoD with all their might in creating a whole new engine from scratch which will be most likely optimised for each platform rather than Treyarch and IW's cr*ppy ports. Oh look, thats 2 years since Bad Company 2. One engine more than CoD has used since 2005.

"You're lazy and we're coming for you says DICE to competitors"

Id rather give my money to companies who say things like this ^ than to companies who say things like this:

"New engine 'would be counter productive'", especially when its BS.

Nope, the problems are the DEV's problems. If every single other game that I have does not have these problems, then why does Black Ops?

Remember MrRoflWaffles' "Unique problem" that actually was admitted by an Activision Customer Support member on Twitter?

Its clear that these problems are cause because of crappy porting. Battlefield Bad Company 2 used the PS3 as the lead platform for consoles. It was then ported to the 360. I havent heard any stories of the 360 crashing completly, lagging up really bad or any of the problems im having with Black Ops.

Like I said, its not just me thats having this problem. Pretty much everyone on my friends list, a large percentage of PS3 owners who own Black Ops and a large majority of the people right here on CoDz had and are still having this problem. Patches have fixed little.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/codbo/

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/114/1145600p1.html

http://www.product-reviews.net/2010/11/ ... er-update/

http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/call-of-d ... 5441848063

Want more proof?

Fair point about BF3's MP not being shown but its going to be really similar to Bad Company 2's. It has more destructibility, graphics have been improved furthermore (and BC2's were awesome even for console), prone is back, you can actually FLY the Jets, more vehicles. Call of Duty has become more about raping the whole team with your killstreaks and near infinite ammo (scavenger). I don't want a game where if I play the game long enough, I can have a pretty similar game each round.

I want a game where I have to depend on the team because to be honest, the mature players are playing Battlefield and the immature 12 year olds hate it, just how I want it. Its feels good reviving your team mate with a defibrulator and receiving ammo from your team mate with the audio cue "Here take some ammo!"... rather than the constant..

"Spy plane ready for deployment"

"Enemy spy plane in the air"

"Enemy chopper in the air"

Id rather have a great game locked at 30fps rather than a mediocre game with horrible visuals at a variable 60fps. I don't know if you have played on the PS3 version of Black Ops but the online, menu's is just so buggy. MrRoflWaffles disk has a unique problem where the menus dont even work properly... its ridiculous. (yeah, unique, he was told this by an Activision member of staff on Twitter).

I want a game where the netcode is solid, the XMB doesn't lag regardless of how awesome the visuals, gameplay and audio in the game is. In Black Ops, whenever im loading a game, trying to switch between in-game menu and XMB my PS3 ends up crashing... Not just mine, but all my friends and PSN friends. Its ridiculous.

Okay, I know that this is just one Call of Duty, but its one Call of Duty too many and there are better games I can spend my hard earned £40 on and better DLC I can spend less than £11.50 on (First Strike) such as only £10 for a whole new expansion pack. Not just some crummy maps, a whole new way to see, hear and play the game.

Sure the IW 4.0 engine in Modern Warfare 2 was nice and silky smooth, but it didn't bring anything new to the table and they aren't even going to even try to build a new engine? A company that has had about 2 years to make a game?

The Frostbite engine is awesome. Id be happy if DICE made another Battlefield game with the same engine, thats how good it is. But I see they aren't going to stand for that and are going after CoD with all their might in creating a whole new engine from scratch which will be most likely optimised for each platform rather than Treyarch and IW's cr*ppy ports. Oh look, thats 2 years since Bad Company 2. One engine more than CoD has used since 2005.

"You're lazy and we're coming for you says DICE to competitors"

Id rather give my money to companies who say things like this ^ than to companies who say things like this:

"New engine 'would be counter productive'", especially when its BS.

I need to add you on ps3. I agree with you i played call of duty before i did battlefield,I can honestly say that battlefield is better (my opinion) the maps are bigger,online game play is more....epic people don't play to get there precious KD up they play to win. I cant even sum up how much battlefields online dominates call of dutys in this paragraph. I am looking forward to battlefield 3s online since there are going to be jets I'm guessing the maps are going to be 2x the size of badcompany 2s maps? OR even 3x? I can not wait!

Call of Duty at its best is and always has been better than Battlefield at its best. Call of Duty is much more high energy than Battlefield, which is always slower paced and much less exciting. Then you get your typical games on Call of Duty and Battlefield; with CoD, you have a bunch of homophobic, racist, trash-talking ten year olds. With Battlefield, you get a bunch of kids who snipe exclusively and NEVER play the objective. I'll take CoD, where at least I can use the mute function to shut them up, rather than Battlefield, where their objective-based participation is not in under my control.

Ill play any game on my CoDz account with everyone else. That account is for people from here. The other is my personal.

@gordogg, Call of Duty may have more energy and be faster paced

btw, but that doesn't make a good game. What you find exciting is just your opinion but I have played all the Call of Duty games from 4 and Bad Company 2 is my first game. Never have I been so blown away with how refreshing the game was and how p*ssed at myself for not having picked it up earlier.

Call of Duty is stale. Something fanboys don't seem to see. Just recently Treyarch said:

"Frostbite 2.0 Is Visually Stunning" But Our Engine Can Be Updated To Those Things...

http://bit.ly/ewmwdt

Saying and doing are two different things. It wasn't done. PERIOD. All the games I have played in Bad Company 2 there has been a good mixture of Engineers, Assault's, Recon's and Medic. It feels awesome being revived due to been killed and being given ammo because your low which led you to being killed. There are actual consequences when you die in Battlefield. Too many deaths is equal to a loss of the whole game. In CoD all you have to worry about is K/D something only you as a player only really care about.

In Bad Company 2 you can have 200 kills or even more but it doesn't mean you will win the game. You gotta keep those objectives. If thats not exciting then I don't know what is. By all means if you find running around with unlimited sprint, crazy speed and pretty much unlimted ammo exciting, your pleased too easily.

The excitement of shooting a bullet a few inches above an enemy's head and watching slowly lower and lower due to gravity and blow your enemies head off is SOOO satisfying and incredibily intense when its sniper v sniper.

It aint really that exciting running as fast as you can round the smallest playing field shooting everything you see and when dying restarting with full ammo, rinse and repeat.

Not to mention the strategic playthrough of using vehicles to attack or defend rather than take everything for yourself.

I want to play a strategic and mature game rather than the horribly made, same sh*t different day, rehashed slop thats released every year. Mark my words, just like Guitar Hero, Activision will run Call of Duty into the ground along with any other franchise that becomes popular and move onto the next studio.

Thats just how they are, im sorry, but its the truth.

*Update to first post*, looks more and more epic with every video.

Ill play any game on my CoDz account with everyone else. That account is for people from here. The other is my personal.

@gordogg, Call of Duty may have more energy and be faster paced

btw, but that doesn't make a good game. What you find exciting is just your opinion but I have played all the Call of Duty games from 4 and Bad Company 2 is my first game. Never have I been so blown away with how refreshing the game was and how p*ssed at myself for not having picked it up earlier.

Call of Duty is stale. Something fanboys don't seem to see. Just recently Treyarch said:

"Frostbite 2.0 Is Visually Stunning" But Our Engine Can Be Updated To Those Things...

http://bit.ly/ewmwdt

Saying and doing are two different things. It wasn't done. PERIOD. All the games I have played in Bad Company 2 there has been a good mixture of Engineers, Assault's, Recon's and Medic. It feels awesome being revived due to been killed and being given ammo because your low which led you to being killed. There are actual consequences when you die in Battlefield. Too many deaths is equal to a loss of the whole game. In CoD all you have to worry about is K/D something only you as a player only really care about.

In Bad Company 2 you can have 200 kills or even more but it doesn't mean you will win the game. You gotta keep those objectives. If thats not exciting then I don't know what is. By all means if you find running around with unlimited sprint, crazy speed and pretty much unlimted ammo exciting, your pleased too easily.

The excitement of shooting a bullet a few inches above an enemy's head and watching slowly lower and lower due to gravity and blow your enemies head off is SOOO satisfying and incredibily intense when its sniper v sniper.

It aint really that exciting running as fast as you can round the smallest playing field shooting everything you see and when dying restarting with full ammo, rinse and repeat.

Not to mention the strategic playthrough of using vehicles to attack or defend rather than take everything for yourself.

I want to play a strategic and mature game rather than the horribly made, same sh*t different day, rehashed slop thats released every year. Mark my words, just like Guitar Hero, Activision will run Call of Duty into the ground along with any other franchise that becomes popular and move onto the next studio.

Thats just how they are, im sorry, but its the truth.

*Update to first post*, looks more and more epic with every video.

You can easily create a class and become recon,or heal somebody whos in last stand.In call of duty you have the freedom to create classes to what you like,not be stuck with 5 classes when a majority of them are bad,Treyarch may have said Frostbite is visually stunning,but Infinity ward will always be the best for graphics.And vehicles are unfair,as 1 team will always be dominant,taking all the best vehicles no matter what.Call of duty has been the longest running series of shooters,wether you like them or not,theyre here to stay.

Im sorry but your comment has just convinced me that you have never played Battlefield Bad Company 2. You havent have you? You can create your class in BC2 as well. Its not as varied to the point you can have "perks" but you can make your own setup. Certain classes are limited to some guns though and those classes will always keep the ammo, medi pack, defibrilator and repair drill thing.

Bad Company 1 and 2's graphic's BLOW any call of duty games graphics out of the water. BC2 is 720p and locked at 30fps. I don't know where you get the impression that "IW's graphics" are better. All CoD games have been sub-HD. 600p is the highest it has ever been. The textures are horrible and so blurry. If you get the chance go up to wall in any CoD game and you will be able to see the individual pixels in the texture. Go up to a wall in Bad Company 2 and you wont.

Fire a bazooka at a wall in CoD, it will become blackened. Fire a bazooka at a wall in Bad Company 2, and its "bye bye wall".

What further emphasizes you've never played Bad Company 2 or any Battlefield game from Battlefield 1 is this: You do know that when DICE put vehicles in the game, they obviously made it so that it would never be overpowered? Everybody would hate that. Thats why you can use bazookas to take it down, RC style missile launchers and even snipe the pilots. Of course every game needs to be balanced and the deciding factor will be of a certain variable/s. The variables in Bad Company 2 is teamwork and strategy.

Please at least do some research before trying to argue against the truth.

meh. BF3 will probably beat MW3....I do not know how BF works in any way but It's sad too say. Call of Duty is dying, sure customization is great I love the new things they add in....but seriously what more can be done for the franchise.

Campaign: Yes every campaign in the series was fun and re-playable but it becomes more repetitive. I love campaign, but I can't stand to play it repeatedly (except for achievements).

MP: Multi-Player is a rush and always fun (for me) but their is that single factor of bland, I mean the ranking system in the game has been used since COD 4. It really get's boring having to rank up again and again just to have the same desired thing. Game play from over the year's has changed now I don't know about the previous call of duty games (CoD 1-3), but the Team play has changed. There is no more Team work( except for those in Party-or GB teams) its all about Ranking up, being better then everyone else, which is why CoD is overrun by 12 year olds (no hate to any 12 year olds on here).

Style of play is what defines EVERYONE on CoD there are those who "Camp" which is just a strategy, because you must do what you gotta do to win, there are the "Rushers" people who just straight up rush into battle never thinking just letting their instincts kick. Then there's the always evil "Quickscoper" we all know who they are. Then there are other labels like "n00b", and other Labels but meh.

Co-op: we all love Co-op, it's one thing that just makes us feel happy to work with friends, but then there's the "randoms" who people hate. even though Co-op is fun with new things that get added with each DLC (Blops). The factor will always remain the same. repetitive.

Call of Duty will die soon, BF series might over take the fps world or we might have to wait and see what Respawn Ent. comes out with.

I don't care: F.3.A.R is me. *end complicated rant*