Why Richtofen is in an astronaut suit *UPDATED* 2/24

Powerhouse631

Found this in another forum so I'm bringing it here. A very interesting read. It details the US Military's proposal for a lunar military base, which was titled Project Horizon. :geek:

I find it interesting that JFK would've been on his last year of his term when this project began.... had he not been assassinated in 1963. It was brought to the table right before he stepped into office. They had planned on having it built & functioning within one year! :shock:

Project Horizon From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lunar Military Outpost

Moon

Type Outpost

Built planned to begin in January 1965

In use project cancelled

Controlled by United States

Garrison 12 soldiers

Project Horizon was a study to determine the feasibility of constructing a military base on the Moon. On 8 June 1959, a group at the Army Ballistic Missile Agency (ABMA) produced for the U.S. Department of the Army a report entitled Project Horizon, A U.S. Army Study for the Establishment of a Lunar Military Outpost. Some reasons cited were military and scientific advantages over other nations. The program would also assure demand for the rockets ABMA was designing.[1]

The Horizon lunar outpost was said to be necessary to protect United States interests on the Moon, to conduct Moon-based surveillance of the Earth and space, to act as a communications relay, and to serve as a base for exploration of the Moon. The permanent outpost would cost $6 billion and become operational in December 1966 with 12 soldiers.

Altogether impractical, Horizon never progressed past the feasibility stage in any official capacity.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is like when you're channel surfing on the TV.. and you stumble across The History Channel, and then you proceed to watch it for 15 minutes learning useless information.. :)

So... time to change the channel... Hahaha..

Im not flaming you mate ;) This is interesting information, but highly irrelevant.

I was tired when I wrote that last night, let me elaborate now. I found the link to Wiki on another site & I wanted to post in reference to the theory of the possibility of a future moon map & a possible theory. I thought this was relevant, even if in a minor way. See below.

WHY IS RICHTOFEN IN AN ASTRONAUT SUIT?? Clearly he's been to space, or he's going, or maybe both. For me, the wiki info seemed to correlate the possibility AND the feasibility of there being a lunar based map & maybe even tie in timewise why we hear the presidents on the phone. Knowing there was even such a proposal during the History of the US put forth in our defense department, and all around the time JFK was president was an interesting coincidence considering where Ascension has taken us. I've heard over time (IRL) that the US and Russia had bases on the moon. We know how secretive the gov'nt can be (Area 51).

I will continue to dig further to see where this idea takes me, but I wanted some input and pick peoples brains who may know more about the historical events surrounding this theory. Editing the title to be more relevant as well. :)

I really liked this post, it would be a credible addition to the storyline in this possible alternate time that Treyarch have presented to us. It would seem it also ties in with the feel of what we are witnessing happen in Ascension.

Richtofen is indeed wearing a spacesuit, the rocket would seem to be programmed to take up orbit around the Moon and not Earth, clearly indicated by the announcer.

If the monkeys are not dropping off of a mothership in orbit then the next likely location would be the Moon. Lots of indications in the map to suggest that the Moon could be a map a some point in the future.

Found this in another forum so I'm bringing it here. A very interesting read. It details the US Military's proposal for a lunar military base, which was titled Project Horizon. :geek:

I find it interesting that JFK would've been on his last year of his term when this project began.... had he not been assassinated in 1963. It was brought to the table right before he stepped into office. They had planned on having it built & functioning within one year! :shock:

Project Horizon From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lunar Military Outpost

Moon

Type Outpost

Built planned to begin in January 1965

In use project cancelled

Controlled by United States

Garrison 12 soldiers

Project Horizon was a study to determine the feasibility of constructing a military base on the Moon. On 8 June 1959, a group at the Army Ballistic Missile Agency (ABMA) produced for the U.S. Department of the Army a report entitled Project Horizon, A U.S. Army Study for the Establishment of a Lunar Military Outpost. Some reasons cited were military and scientific advantages over other nations. The program would also assure demand for the rockets ABMA was designing.[1]

The Horizon lunar outpost was said to be necessary to protect United States interests on the Moon, to conduct Moon-based surveillance of the Earth and space, to act as a communications relay, and to serve as a base for exploration of the Moon. The permanent outpost would cost $6 billion and become operational in December 1966 with 12 soldiers.

Altogether impractical, Horizon never progressed past the feasibility stage in any official capacity.

Zombies will go to the moon, I feel it in my bones...

If you know me, you'll know what I know and well it's getting clearer...

Regards Snake...

Here is more info: The Soviet Union was the first nation to touch the moon with a probe called Luna 3. This seems to explain why we have to spell LUNA with the landers :)

From Wiki:

Exploration of the Lunar surface by spacecraft began in 1959 when the Soviet Luna 2 mission crash-landed into the surface. The same year, the Luna 3 mission radioed photographs to Earth of the Moon's hitherto unseen far side, marking the beginning of a decade-long series of unmanned Lunar explorations.

Responding to the Soviet program of space exploration, US President John F. Kennedy in 1961 told the U.S. Congress on May 25: "I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to the Earth." The same year the Soviet leadership made some of its first public pronouncements about landing a man on the Moon and establishing a Lunar base.

Also:

The Soviet space probe Luna 3 of 1959 (of the E-3 series) was the third space probe to be sent to the neighborhood of the Moon, and this mission was an early feat in the spaceborne exploration of outer space. Though it returned rather poor pictures by later standards, the historic, never-before-seen views of the far side of the Moon caused excitement and interest when they were published around the world, and a tentative Atlas of the Far Side of the Moon was created after image processing improved the pictures. This space probe has been commonly called "Lunik 3", predominantly in the Western world.

These views showed mountainous terrain, very different from the near side, and only two dark, low-lying regions which were named Mare Moscovrae (Sea of Moscow) and Mare Desiderii (Sea of Desire). Mare Luna Desiderii was later found to be composed of a smaller mare, Mare Ingenii (Sea of Ingenuity), and several other dark craters.

Check out what the device looked like. Hmmm, I've seen something resembling this Russian space probe before!!! 8-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lunik_3.jpg

*Needless to day, the time setting is correct for Ascension and Five to both be happening at the same time, hence the presidents calling on the phone during gameplay.

Furthermore check out the information on Wiki regarding the Space Race between Russia & the US. My jaw dropped when I saw the picture, looks familiar. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_exploration

Where do Germany and Richtofen play into this? Maybe because the German rocket V-2 was the first to be successfully launched into outerspace. Wernher von Braun was the lead rocket engineer for Nazi Germany's World War II V-2 rocket project. In the last days of the war he led a caravan of workers in the German rocket program to the American lines, where they surrendered and were brought to the USA to work on U.S. rocket development.

Furthermore check out the information on Wiki regarding the Space Race between Russia & the US. My jaw dropped when I saw the picture, looks familiar. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_exploration

Where do Germany and Richtofen play into this? Maybe because the German rocket V-2 was the first to be successfully launched into outerspace. Wernher von Braun was the lead rocket engineer for Nazi Germany's World War II V-2 rocket project. In the last days of the war he led a caravan of workers in the German rocket program to the American lines, where they surrendered and were brought to the USA to work on U.S. rocket development.

LOL my jaw dropped to :P good find

Hmh when I read this I had an idea..

The US base in the moon with lunars.. It seems that Richtofen was in the moon before Ascension and stole a lunar from the moon and then he travelled with the lunar to Ascension base :DD Well no, just kidding.

But if you remember the 2nd radio message (if I remember right it was 2nd) where Yuri said;

'' Blasting monkeys into a space! ''

Space Monkeys most likely, but why blasting them to space?

-> US Lunar Base on the moon -> Maybe Space Monkeys were sent there to steal US technology or disrupt their progress so that Russians could gain the upper hand in the research.

But why Richtofen is in a Space suit... Maybe there is a map between Kino & Ascension, what can explain how Richtofen had space suit and how they got to the Lunar....

Only time will tell the ANSWERS!

Here is more info: The Soviet Union was the first nation to touch the moon with a probe called Luna 3. This seems to explain why we have to spell LUNA with the landers :)

From Wiki:

Exploration of the Lunar surface by spacecraft began in 1959 when the Soviet Luna 2 mission crash-landed into the surface. The same year, the Luna 3 mission radioed photographs to Earth of the Moon's hitherto unseen far side, marking the beginning of a decade-long series of unmanned Lunar explorations.

Responding to the Soviet program of space exploration, US President John F. Kennedy in 1961 told the U.S. Congress on May 25: "I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to the Earth." The same year the Soviet leadership made some of its first public pronouncements about landing a man on the Moon and establishing a Lunar base.

Also:

The Soviet space probe Luna 3 of 1959 (of the E-3 series) was the third space probe to be sent to the neighborhood of the Moon, and this mission was an early feat in the spaceborne exploration of outer space. Though it returned rather poor pictures by later standards, the historic, never-before-seen views of the far side of the Moon caused excitement and interest when they were published around the world, and a tentative Atlas of the Far Side of the Moon was created after image processing improved the pictures. This space probe has been commonly called "Lunik 3", predominantly in the Western world.

These views showed mountainous terrain, very different from the near side, and only two dark, low-lying regions which were named Mare Moscovrae (Sea of Moscow) and Mare Desiderii (Sea of Desire). Mare Luna Desiderii was later found to be composed of a smaller mare, Mare Ingenii (Sea of Ingenuity), and several other dark craters.

Check out what the device looked like. Hmmm, I've seen something resembling this Russian space probe before!!! 8-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lunik_3.jpg

*Needless to day, the time setting is correct for Ascension and Five to both be happening at the same time, hence the presidents calling on the phone during gameplay.

I thought Five was during the Missile crisis. That's why they were talking about it in a cutscene.

I think it's great how Treyarch ties historical facts into it's games, but I don't see how it actually applies to the game other than the 'setting'

I still stick with my History Channel theory on this ;) All good info, which because I knew you put hard work in.. I actually sat and read here @ work...

So I give you [brains] for all the work and the fun facts... but this is more the setting for the reality of the game rather then the development or meaning behind the story :)

I thought Five was during the Missile crisis. That's why they were talking about it in a cutscene.

The Cuban Missile Crisis occurred in 1962. JFK was in office during the cuban missile crisis as well as the space race. I think it would have been more appropriate to say during the same time period of JFK being in office.

I think it's great how Treyarch ties historical facts into it's games, but I don't see how it actually applies to the game other than the 'setting'

I still stick with my History Channel theory on this ;) All good info, which because I knew you put hard work in.. I actually sat and read here @ work...

So I give you [brains] for all the work and the fun facts... but this is more the setting for the reality of the game rather then the development or meaning behind the story :)

Thanks for the brains, because I certainly did do my research :D .

As far as the setting goes, It makes me think that Five is not as irrelevant as people would have originally thought in regards to the zombies storyline. I mean WHY would we be getting phone calls from the Presidents with sounds of them fighting zombies? That was the question I wanted to answer for myself, along with why and how this could all be relevant to Richtofen being in an Astronaut suit. He has been here before, or suddenly became revolted by zombie guts rather than excited by them ("Their screams are so erotic") and wanted a change of clothes :lol: It also, for me, further backs the theory of a future moon map.

I need to do more research to explore this further. I'll keep posting the more I can find to piece it together in a sensible way.

For the record: I only started playing Zombies on Black Ops, so forgive me if I'm a little slow in piecing things together here. Regardless, the historical correlations are fascinating to me, so here I am. ;)

yeah, youve done my idea of linking it to history.. but that doesnt explain why a nazi from the past has one, surely if it was referencing this you would be taking about dempsey :mrgreen:

With all due respect I wouldnt exactly call it your idea of linking it to history, because I dont share a [brains] with anyone. :) I will say that great minds think alike though, so my compliments to you ;)

Again, the reason I think Richtofen is in an astraunaut suit is because he has been to a lunar base on the moon already, hence why I sincerely feel there will be a future moon map. I know that my concept of that tends to get lost in all this info, but I am theorizing here about future maps and why.

If the US captured a German scientist (known to have achieved launching a rocket into outerspace at the End of WWII), put him to work at NASA, and allowed him later to become a US citizen, it seems to make Five relevant, especially now that we are at a Russian launch facility, setting the time frame to be during Kennedy's reign if you will.

I am theorizing about the timeframe with this one (USSR & USA spacerace). I know it gets confusing because there is so much in this thread.

As for exactly linking the doctor to the Russians and the zombies storyline, well that is still a work in progress, which is why I started this thread. Contributions on theories are most welcome. :mrgreen: