Abracadavre Lyrics Analysis

Jackyboy1384

So yeah, while I haven't seen any leaks or spoilers of Ascension yet, I listened to the song (because let's face it, a song isn't exactly a spoiler. I don't know how to get the song or anything yet) and found the lyrics paticularly interesting. First time listening to Abracadavre, I sort of understood the lyrics.

This song is mostly from SAM's point of view. So yeah. Here we go.

*Musical*

Verse 1:

I can fly like a bird not in the sky

Which can always swim and always dry

I say goodbye at night and morning hi

I am part of you what am I

I follow and lead as you pass

Dress yourself in black my darkness lasts

I flee the light but without the sun

Your view of me would be gone

Analysis:

I can fly like a bird not in the sky -> I think this means she has many powers which she hasn't yet used, and she might still have her trump card to play

Which can always swim and always dry -> She can do many things and she is always successful or triumphant

I say goodbye at night and morning hi -> If everything is Sam's game, then at bedtime she will say "bye" to all her little figures and toys and in the morning she will say "hi" to them again

I am part of you what am I -> Sam controls their fates and thoughts. She is basically their souls. This whole verse is a riddle, and we need to figure out what Sam is

I follow and lead as you pass -> Sam is 'following' the character's adventures, but at the same time is leading them to their destinys

Dress yourself in black my darkness lasts -> This is interesting. 115 seemed like a struggle between Sam and her demon side but this line could signal that the demonic side won the battle

I flee the light but without the sun/Your view of me would be gone -> This leads me to think that Sam is referring to the Moon, as without the Sun we would not see the Moon and at daytime (when the light comes) the Moon flees

Pre-chorus 1:

I

Can see the damage that

I

Am causing you is so benign

You want me to be gone

But I have just beGUN

Analysis:

I/Can see the damage that/I/Am causing you is so benign -> This is a weird one, as the definition of 'benign' is kind or generous. So maybe Sam isn't doing as much damage as she could be?

You want me to be gone -> Edward wants Sam to piss off

But I have just beGUN -> Like I said, Sam isn't doing as much as she could be and hasn't played her trump card yet. Sucks to be you Edward

Chorus 1:

I am the only one '"undone"

I'm a broken miracle now

In your head

I don't feel

Like I am real

But I know

It's all imaginary

Are they real

And do they feel

Is all the pain

Just inside my head

Analysis:

I am the only one "undone" -> My theory is that these three lines from the chorus are from the POV of Richtofen. Richtofen is slowly being undone by his lies and his betrayal. Could be a reference to the hidden NDU song 'Undone'.

I'm a broken miracle now -> The miracle is Richtofen's survival of Sam's game, but his will to live is slowly breaking

In your head -> All of this is in Sam's head, for it is all her game

I don't feel/Like I am real -> Back to Sam's POV, Sam is questioning her futile existence

But I know/It's all imaginary -> Sam was so involved in her little game she saw it as reality playing out in front of her eyes (which, ironically, it was to some extent), but Sam is finally realising the truth

Are they real/And do they feel -> Sam doesn't realise that she is actually controlling the fates of these characters in real life, and is questioning it

Is all the pain/Just inside my head -> Sam is beginning to realise that the pain and suffering of every person in her game is all in her head and not real

Verse 2:

I am what men love more than life

Fear more than death or mortal strife

What dead men have and rich require

I'm what contented men desire

Analysis:

I am what men love more than life/Fear more than death or mortal strife -> Sam is practically God in this world, she is everything and nothing

What dead men have and rich require/I'm what contented men desire -> It's another 'What am I?' riddle. Any theories?

Pre-chorus 2:

You

Want me to be gone

But I have just beGUN

Analysis:

There's nothing new to analyse in this pre-chorus.

Chorus 2:

You will never know how far I've come

What goes up must never come back down

In your head

I don't feel

Like I am real

But I know

It's all imaginary

Are they real

And do they feel

Is all the pain

Just inside my head

Analysis:

You will never know how far I've come -> I'm not sure how this could relate to Richtofen, as Sam would easily know how far he's come as she is controlling him

What goes up must never come back down -> 'You must ascend from darkness'. Ascend. Ascension. Up. Never come back down. Escape the darkness that is the Earth

And the rest is all the same as the previous chorus.

Bridge:

It's all inside my head

It's just inside my

It's all inside my

They're all inside my

I see them always but they're all inside my head

All inside my head

They're all inside my head

It's killing me

To see I'm killing you

Death is magic

Say Abracadavre now

You see me now you

Don't cry when I am gone

Bridge 1:

It's all inside my head/It's just inside my/It's all inside my/They're all inside my -> Once again, Sam is realising that none of this is real

I see them always but they're all inside my head -> Sam played this game so much she began to think it was real (I'm guessing this was around SNN-ish)

It's killing me/To see I'm killing you -> Sam doesn't really want to be evil, but her demonic side is making her despite her attempts to fight back

Death is magic -> This is the demon Sam talking, convincing normal Sam

Say Abracadavre now -> Well, death is magic and so saying the magic words of death 'Abracadavre' would seem fitting

You see me now you/Don't cry when I am gone -> Reference to 115 "Nobody cries when everyone dies'

*Musical*

Bridge 2 (can a song even have two bridges? :?):

These shackles they come

With certain opportunities

They won't let me get away

But they show me we're the same

We're the same

We're the same

They show me that we are the same

Analysis:

These shackles they come/With certain opportunities -> Sam is trapped in 'limbo' hence the 'shackles' but she now also has an opportunity to get revenge on those who turned their backs on her and betrayed her

They won't let me get away/But they show me we're the same -> Sam is becoming one with her demonic side

We're the same/We're the same/They show me that we are the same -> Sam has realised that her and demon Sam are the same

Pre-chorus 3:

I can't give in

I won't give in

It's not a state of mind

I'm wretched but I'm powerful and

Analysis:

I can't give in/I won't give in -> Sam will not stop fighting for control over her soul and conscience

It's not a state of mind -> This is suggesting that Sam isn't just in a state of mind that she wants to destroy, but that there is an evil, demonic Sam driven by Sam's compassion and hatred who is making her do these things

I'm wretched but I'm powerful and -> Sam's demonic side is evil but is powerful and so can control Sam

Chorus 3:

I don't feel

Like I am real

But I know

It's all imaginary

Are they real

And do they feel

Is all the pain

Just inside my head

It's all inside my head

It's just inside my

It's all inside my

They're all inside my

I see them always but they're all inside my head

All inside my head

They're all inside my head

Analysis:

Nothing new here.

So what do you guys think of this analysis? Basically Sam is realising that none of this is real and she is still in a struggle of dominance over her conscience and soul with demon Sam. Feel free to make suggestions if you think you have a better analysis of certain lyrics than me.

My comments on 'Abracadavre':

It's not anything like the songs which we've heard from Kevin and Elena so far. I loved the first 4 songs but I don't like how this one sounds right now. Sounds more like some Indian parade music at some point in the song -.-

Then again the chorus is pretty catchy and I didn't like the sound of '115' either when I first heard it so meh, it might grow on me. Looking forward to hearing the Ascension game over song! Because in case you haven't noticed, I'm on PS3. -.-

I put a lot of work into this analysis so no flaming would be much appreciated :D

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice analysis! :)

About this line

What dead men have and rich require/I'm what contented men desire -> It's another 'What am I?' riddle. Any theories?

It reminds me of the riddle. "What's greater then god, eviler then the devil, if you eat me you will die, poor people have me, rich people need me. What am I?"

Answer is: "Nothing"

Take away everything but the poor people have me, rich people need me, replace poor people with dead men and you pretty much got that line of the song!

Nice analysis! :)

About this line

It reminds me of the riddle. "What's greater then god, eviler then the devil, if you eat me you will die, poor people have me, rich people need me. What am I?"

Answer is: "Nothing"

Take away everything but the poor people have me, rich people need me, replace poor people with dead men and you pretty much got that line of the song!

Aah, good thought! So Sam is nothing, and yet she plays God in this world. This is so complex :shock:

I think that Samantha might be Peace.

What do dead men have? They have Peace.They are gone from violence of the world.

What do rich men require? They require Peace. They have alot of money, so people would try to kill them, or steal their money, or even ask for it. If they have Peace, than none of those things would happen.

Just a thought.

i like the find but it's not by the point of view of samantha, it more by the point of sophia. (dr maxis lab partner who took dr maxis' message to the reichstag high command) remember her.

also in the line "it's all imaginary" could be a referance to how she wishes for the zombie to be imaginary.

this likely means sophia is dead and is aware of what sam is doing.

i also have a theory that sophia could also be sam's MOM......

that would be how she knows about what sam's doing.

any thoughts.....

Great analysis, you obviously put lots of te and effort into it but, it just doesn't fit, oit doesn't feel right in my bones man. I will do a translation later add me,comrade I will be happy to see your thoughts. But the thing is I haven't played Ascension long enough to really know what Sam is up to here. There is a piece of the puzzle missing and it bothers the crud out of me...

It's a shadow.

Birds fly but the shadow remains on the ground/wall.

It can be seen in water, but won't get wet due to it being a figure of (a lack of) light.

Naturally, you can't see shadows that well at night.

Your shadow is a part of you.

Shadows appear to follow and lead you as you pass by lights.

It's always darker than its surroundings.

It goes behind the object, so it appears to "flee" the light source.

If there was no sun, you would not be able to naturally see your shadow.

It's a shadow.

It can be seen in water, but won't get wet due to it being a figure of (a lack of) light.

EXCELLENT FIND! [brains]

This could once again be interpreted as Samantha literally shadowing the group, particularly Richthofen as well all know. She's a spectre that leaves no trace that she was ever there, but if you simply look for it, there it is.

It's a shadow.

EXCELLENT FIND! [brains]

This could once again be interpreted as Samantha literally shadowing the group, particularly Richthofen as well all know. She's a spectre that leaves no trace that she was ever there, but if you simply look for it, there it is.

Oh yeah, he gets the brains for replying to my 2-hour long thread :facepalm:

Just kidding I'm not in it for brains :roll: But seriously, nice find. The shadow would be referring to Sam's evil side being Sam's shadow.

It's killing me

To see I'm killing you

Death is magic

Say Abracadavre now

You see me now you

Don't cry when I am gone

im not sure if anyone else noticed but in the song when it says "say abracadavre now" you hear her saying no in the background. this to me is pointing that the battle for sam's soul has not been won yet. this is also my favorite part in the song ^^

It's a shadow.

This song definitely seems to be from sam's demonic side for a good part. To me it sounds like it's more relating to the conflict of sam and her demonic side and not so much the players in general (ie: her demonic side sees itself as sam's "shadow").

"What goes up must never come back down"

What if that line means that she's risen to a spot of power, and never wants/can return to as she was before?

Also, as the first riddle is "shadow" and the second is "nothing", it might mean that her demonic side is winning the battle.

The first verse

"I can fly like a bird not in the sky

I’m part of you what am I

Your view of me would be gone"

Its actually a riddle.

and the answer is a shadow.

It glides over the floor [like a bird flies]

and looks as if it swims on land. and it is always dry.

Its part of you only visible in day

And it's always hiding from the sun behind you.

and the 2nd,

I am what men love more than life

I’m what contented men desire

Is nothing.

Men love nothing more than life and fear nothing more than death,

a dead man has nothing and a rich man needs nothing.

and nothing can content mens desire.

"I am what men love more than life

I’m what contented men desire

Is nothing.

Men love nothing more than life and fear nothing more than death,

a dead man has nothing and a rich man needs nothing.

and nothing can content mens desire."

1 Word.

Immortality.

What if that line means that she's risen to a spot of power, and never wants/can return to as she was before?

Also, as the first riddle is "shadow" and the second is "nothing", it might mean that her demonic side is winning the battle.

Maybe it can also be talking about Yuri even the rocket.

Well I'm glad someone figured it out. Reading the Original post was almost painful (No offense Jackyboy).

Brains for you! [brains]

ouh... thanks guys... i tought the "evil Sam" was dr.maxis. becouse richtofen killed maxis, and in 115; maxis said: No! to Sams: More forgivenes..., he wanted to kill richtofen, and sam was against him, becouse she is not SO angry, than maxis. and how they are the one? becouse in failed teleport, their souls were linked to each other. sam wants peace, and maxis wants his revenge to richtofen.

and the second theory is that sam is alive... and those songs are from her dreams, where she talk to her father. and why i thing sam is alive? becouse in Lullaby for a dead man, she said: i live again

and now she says: You will never know how far I've come. so is she alive or is she dead?

I am thinking that when she sings the chorus, that Samantha is in denial like saying "this is all in my head, none of it is real, it is all imaginary, I am just having a nightmare." When she sings "And do they feel?" she is talking about our 4 heroes, as if they were her imagination. The demonic side is also toying with Sam's own mind as in giving her just confusion...