Black Ops new Dogfight game mode!

Imagine this. A new game mode for Black Ops multiplayer where you spawn in a helicopter like the Gunship killstreak. You get kills by taking out enemy helicopters. The game would play like a free-for-all game mode. There would need to be to or 3 new maps though and they shouldn't be hard to make because you would be in the air the whole game. And thats basically it. I think this would be a really fun game mode and it wouldn't be hard to make. I hope Treyarch considers this.

I also think for the add ons for Black Ops there should be 3 new multiplayer maps, 1 new zombie map, and 1 new multiplayer game mode.

Please tell me what you all think about this idea and tell me if anything doesn't sound right because I had to type this twice. :| Thanks.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's an interesting concept and good ideas to freshen up the game should always be welcomed but I think there are a lot of problems with how you would actually put it in place.

The main one I can think of is control, i.e. gunships currently are on autopilot which means you have no control over where they go. In a game mode like this you all you are essentially doing is competing to be the best at aiming your chain gun which doesn't sound like it would be much fun. If we could come up with a way of controlling the helicopter and shooting the gun, that might work

I think it's an interesting concept and good ideas to freshen up the game should always be welcomed but I think there are a lot of problems with how you would actually put it in place.

The main one I can think of is control, i.e. gunships currently are on autopilot which means you have no control over where they go. In a game mode like this you all you are essentially doing is competing to be the best at aiming your chain gun which doesn't sound like it would be much fun. If we could come up with a way of controlling the helicopter and shooting the gun, that might work

I think he's talking about using the GUNSHIP, not the Chopper Gunner. Like in the last mission ****SPOILERS********* When you are attacking the boat and you have to shoot down the choppers, he's talking about using THAT CONTROLLABLE chopper. But I may just be misreading your post buddy :)

It sounds far too easy and simple. The idea sounds boring.

Really man? You're such a downer. No, oh good idea, but I don't think I'd like it; or It's cool, but not for me. Just simply too easy and simple and boring. Really? I'd like to see you play a match of this and come in first if it's too easy and simple for you. Really man, stop being so negative.

Yeah guys I actually meant the one where you can control the helicopter! And yes exactly like that mission KNO1ATALL. And maybe if its to boring (which I think it wouldn't be) there could be SAM turrets that spawn randomly around the map at the beginning of the match like the dummies in Nuketown.

So basically you would be having a dog fight in the air with 3 other people (because there would be a limit of 4 people in a game) in a small area with having to worry about going out of bounds and being auto shot down, being careful not to run into cliffs or buildings, dodging your enemies helicopter rockets and turrets, and having to watch the ground to see if the SAM turrets are going to shoot you down. (the SAM turrets would lock on but could be dodged and the SAM turrets could be destroyed and not respawn) And you would have the bleeping noise in your helicopter to tell you if you are being locked on.

So again, please discuss as I really like this idea and I want to know what you all think!

Play a flight simulator if you want to do that. It sounds like if you stick to the sides you win, but unlike in multiplayer you don't have anything to stop you from seeing your opponent across the map. If buildings and mountains block your vision, then it is just multiplayer with helicopters, which doesn't sound interesting.

@KNO1ATALL

He asked for criticism, he got criticism.

I've got to admit, this idea isn't too bad. My thought's are that this could liven up the game to being more than just your average shoot-em-up! One concern is also shown in Commander034's post, of how you could see your opponent's across the map and possibly spawning. I've just got to ask, could I possibly forward this idea to Treyarch with your permission and see what they say? Anyway, great base idea and could lead to something...

[brains]

Play a flight simulator if you want to do that. It sounds like if you stick to the sides you win, but unlike in multiplayer you don't have anything to stop you from seeing your opponent across the map. If buildings and mountains block your vision, then it is just multiplayer with helicopters, which doesn't sound interesting.

Ok well there would be no sides of the map just out of bound zones where you automatically get shot down like in multiplayer. And how could this not be interesting? Its a whole new type of game play and I think it would be epic fun for most people. But everyone has an opinion... ;)

I've got to admit, this idea isn't too bad. My thought's are that this could liven up the game to being more than just your average shoot-em-up! One concern is also shown in Commander034's post, of how you could see your opponent's across the map and possibly spawning. I've just got to ask, could I possibly forward this idea to Treyarch with your permission and see what they say? Anyway, great base idea and could lead to something...

Thanks, and yes you could DEFINITELY forward this to Treyarch if you could infact I was hoping they would see this! And about the spawing, maybe the helicopter would just come on the same way as it does in multiplayer and once it is in the bounds of the map you are able to pilot it? The maps could always be bigger so that you would have to fly closer or your enemy to be able to hit them...

Ok well there would be no sides of the map just out of bound zones where you automatically get shot down like in multiplayer. And how could this not be interesting? Its a whole new type of game play and I think it would be epic fun for most people. But everyone has an opinion... ;)

And that is different from the multiplayer boundaries how? You're still in a confined space just like every where else. The only thing that they could possibly add is altitude controls, which I'm sure would suck because Treyarch doesn't make flight based games.

And that is different from the multiplayer boundaries how? You're still in a confined space just like every where else. The only thing that they could possibly add is altitude controls, which I'm sure would suck because Treyarch doesn't make flight based games.

Have you evenplayed the SP? The missions "Payback" and "Redemption" both have helicopter parts in them, and they work very well!!! So don't be dissing somebody's idea just cause its good!

When I clicked on this topic I though, "Alright F4 Phantoms and Migs!" What I got was this. Using Black Ops' terrible flight mechanic system to fly Hueys and Cobras. Not such a good idea considering you don't truly "fly" the helicopters in Black Ops. Even in payback or whatever that mission was where you stole a hind. In the current flight mechanic theres no way to adjust elevation, pitch, etc; it's basically crap compared to most other games but I understand if it's supposed to be easy. If I recall correctly, Mark Lamia said in an interview that it would be easy to fly the helicopter if you knew how to play COD. It's not that I oppose the idea, I play Battlefield: Vietnam with my friends at school regularly. If flying in BO was anything like BFV then this would be an okay idea.

Have you evenplayed the SP? The missions "Payback" and "Redemption" both have helicopter parts in them, and they work very well!!! So don't be dissing somebody's idea just cause its good!

The altitude is auto controlled. You are just walking in a way that only looks like flying. It's like walking up a flight of invisible stairs. If the idea was good, I wouldn't be saying it's bad.

Commander, you really are negative. Try some positive criticism for a change, it goes both ways.

If this were to go down, there would of course have to be better controls. That goes without saying. I'm sure Treyarch would set up testing with gamers to try it out. I would definately play this game mode.

Alright everyone thanks for the feedback and thanks to Jonnyo for forwarding this to Treyarch!!

Please discuss more!

And to commander, Yes it is true you can not control the altitude but would you really need to? That would be up to Treyarch though cause Im not sure if they could add that control in there although it is possible. And this would be nothing like regular multiplayer. You are in the air flying around shooting missiles and firing a giant machine gun from the cockpit of a helicopter while dodging other missiles and SAM turrets from the ground.

There would be no killstreaks or perks. (unless you guys could come up with some god ones?) [brains]

Commander, you really are negative. Try some positive criticism for a change, it goes both ways.

If this were to go down, there would of course have to be better controls. That goes without saying. I'm sure Treyarch would set up testing with gamers to try it out. I would definately play this game mode.

Why should I lie to him? If I tell him honestly he would be less hurt if someone else said it was a stupid idea.

It sounds far too easy and simple. The idea sounds boring.

Why do you have to be so negative about everything?

I'm only negative about what I think is bad.

Well, i like the game mode so far, and i wouldn't mind playing it as is right now, but i have a suggestion seeing as i think 4 people in a match sounds a little low to me.

I was thinking it would still only be 4 Gunships, but it be in 4 teams of 2 (so there'd be 8 people :P) Where someone controls the Gunship, and the other is on the gunner in the back. But, because it would be annoying if the gunner only shot to one side, i thought he could be able to switch sides when they want, but would have to go through like a five second animation where they close their current side door and open the other.

Thoughts if it should be included or not?