Interactive multiplayer maps

Robash

With all the fuss about Black Ops’ multiplayer and as-yet-unannounced co-op mode, there is one element of the game that has been overlooked. Speaking in the latest issue of Edge, Josh Olin talks about the interactive scenery in Black Ops’ multiplayer and how it “can really change how the battle plays out.”

On a number of the multiplayer maps there are buttons you can press to open doors or cue timed events, like rockets launching (see above image) or blast doors opening. Olin explained in Edge:

“I don’t think the community has fully grasped the importance of this. Take Launch, for example, where the rocket takes off. If you’re under it you die, but one of the Search and Destroy bomb sites is under there, and there’s a Demolition site under there too. You have to time your attacks based around when that rocket’s going to go off – and you can use that to win the game. In CTF, I’ve practised with my team here at Treyarch to capture the enemy flag, take it down through that route at just the right time, so the rocket launches and the guys who are chasing me can’t get under there and have to turn round.”

In another multiplayer map, Radiation, a set of blast doors can only be opened and closed via a control panel on a nearby platform. Olin says this could prove decisive in Domination mode.

“If you’ve captured that point, it might be valuable to send a couple of guys up there to take the control panel and close the doors. Now the only point of attack is down through the tunnels – so you know where they’re going to come from, they can’t jump in from above. It can really change how the battle plays out.”

One wonders what other treats are in store for us on some of the other multiplayer maps. November 9th just ain’t coming quick enough!

Edit - pic added :facepalm:

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely made a really good point with this in another topic awhile ago, but I think it got ignored. Hahaha. But I love this idea so much.. It's pretty sweet.

But at the same time that does leave a door open for those guys who will be a-holes about it and just blast the doors closed before anything else and whatnot.

On a number of the multiplayer maps there are buttons you can press to open doors or cue timed events, like rockets launching (see above image) or blast doors opening. Olin explained in Edge:

... Where's the image? :P

+1

the pic did not attach and no link shows up, just the word "Image"

at least go back and add the URL for it