Reputation points

Sigint

Question

alright. i dont think anyone has posted this before but you know how when someone gives you a thumbs us, you get +10 to your brains. well i was looking at one of the other threads i made (it is the weapons confirmed in black ops one if you want proof), and it said that 3 people gave me reputation but i got +2.4 next to my comment

i thought if 3 people gave me a thumbs up that meant i would have +3, not +2.4. i think at some point as well i had about 612 brains. how can this be because i only thought the brains counted in 10

if someone can help that would be great

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

I'll try and explain this as best as I can.

The image above shows you the reputation settings that we currently have setup. The above settings determine how many reputation points you can give to another user (positive or negative).

Now for the case that you said - you recieved +3.4 for your post. First thing is that the number of points we display on each post is divided by 10. So in reality you recieved +34 reputation points ..... that divided by 10 is +3.4 that is displayed on the forum post.

Coming back to the +34 that you got .... as you can see from the image the maximum number of reputation points that anyone can give is 10 (maximum reputation power allowed). So 3 people who had maximum reputation gave you +10 each so that accounts for +30. And I say this by looking at the logs that tell me all reputation points awarded. Every moderator and admin has access to this information. So it is not an assumption.

Now that leaves us to only account for the remaining +4 rep. One of the user that gave you reputation was new on this site. At the time that they gave you reputation they were signed up on the site for 1 day, made 3 posts and had not received any reputation from other users on this site. So again referencing the image I posted above you can calculate that particular user's reputation power (at the time they gave rep) -

User had 3 posts so that is 3 reputation power.

Been a user on the site for a day so that's is 1 reputation power.

Add those two their reputation power (again that is how much rep they can give) at the time they rep was 4. The user gave you a positive vote and you got a +4 bringing your total reputation for that post to +34.

Had the same user given you a negative reputation you would have recieved -4 instead of +4 so your total reputation for that post would have been +26 and not +34.

I hope that explains how the reputation system works. I have tried to cover all conditions and scenarios but if you still have any questions regarding the reputation system please feel free to ask.