The Interior of an Atomic Bomb

firevice

While looking at this picture in carbon's thread:

Forum user RK1 Apocalypse brought up the idea that this was a picture of the interior of an atom bomb. I took this idea and started researching on the internet.

One picture I found intrigued me:

1. Stabilizing Tail Fins

2. Tail cone

3. Air inlet tubes

4. Air pressure detonator

5. Lead Shield container

6. Detonator arm

7. Detonating head

8. Conventional Explosive Charge (cordite)

9. Uranium-235 "Bullet" (ca. 24 kg, 16 cm long, 10 cm diameter)

10. gun cylinder (not drawn to proportion: it was 180 cm long, with an inner diameter of 10 cm)

11. Uranium-235 "Target" (ca. 36 kg) with receptacle (neutron reflector is just above)

12. Archie radar altimeter antenna (4xAPS-13)

13. Fuses (inserted to arm bomb just before dropping it)

Now this doesn't resemble the picture in the video 100%, but it's at the very least a starting point. The next challenge in this portion is finding out what kind of atom bomb this is. If you didn't know, there are different models such as the Fat Man, Little Boy, or the Gravity Bomb.

There are tons of diagrams on the site that I found this one:

http://www.zamandayolculuk.com/cetinbal ... balari.htm

All credit for the picture and captions goes to this site.

Meanwhile, I will be looking for the model of an atomic bomb that most closely resembles the one in the video. If you find anything interesting, let me know by posting in this thread.

Good Luck! :)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first time i saw that part of the video i thought it looked like a skeleton (Wtf). But now i think its some sort of a bomb, like you said. The thing thats labeled 4 looks like its also in the bomb from the video for sure.

According to that site, I believe that the two white spots in that picture from the video is of two different explosive devices contained inside the bomb itself.

Am I wrong in saying that one is U238 and one is U235 and when they make contact with each-other upon impact, that ignites the explosion?

According to that site, I believe that the two white spots in that picture from the video is of two different explosive devices contained inside the bomb itself.

Am I wrong in saying that one is U238 and one is U235 and when they make contact with each-other upon impact, that ignites the explosion?

That would make the most sense. If you look at this picture you see that one of the sets of explosives inside the bomb has a label stating it's U235.

U-238 is the common form of U that can be found to occur naturaly. U-235 is weapon grade (fissile) and is capable of a sustained chain reaction (Ka-boom). From what I can gather the amount of U-235 that can be obtained by refining? is far less than the U-238 you start out with. I think this is shown in the video, as is the fissile chain reaction.

So in this order

This would be U-235 extracted from U-238

Then this would be the approximate of U-235 you would get from U-238

Then finaly the chain reaction or Ka-boom

This is the wiki link for U-235

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium-235

This is a link that offers an alternative look into WW2 and the German effort to produce U-235.

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/socio ... pter02.htm

Why did I post the second link? Well the Der Riese chalkboards make mention of Uranium (possibly).

Top left of this chalkboard underneath Experiment is the symbol for Uranium, it looks like the sun but it is an U.

Also this texture from SNN found on the desk

Is that the Giant rising or maybe a bomb originating from the Breslau area of old Germany.

I will try and enlarge the last two textures and edit this post when I can.

New site looks awesome Carbon, nice job.

(edit) Forgot to mention, I am sure that I read somewhere that the A-bomb dropped on Hiroshima only contained fissile material about equivilant to the size of a baseball. Take that with a pinch of salt though.