Hello again. I'm back with another text walkthrough, this time for Voyage of Despair for new players. (Last updated 2.08.2019).
I'll cover basic map opening, getting Shield Parts and the Workbench, Perk Locations, the Sentinel Artifact, the 4 PaP locations, and the 2 Valves to drain water. Kraken build and upgrade added at end.
Quick reference: Shield Part through first lower door at start, Shield Part through first upper door at start, Shield Part under Poop Deck after Sentinel Artifact. Workbench on Poop Deck.
PaP: 1. Below Forecastle, 2. at bottom of Grand Staircase, 3. top of Poop Deck, 4. below Poop Deck.
Valves: Under Forecastle (submerged), under Poop Deck (submerged).
Follow along on a simple walkthrough with these Custom Mutations: Pick the VoD map. Select Custom Mutations, then select EDIT GAME RULES, then change these: ENEMIES, BASIC ZOMBIES, Max Speed = Walk. Then SPECIAL ZOMBIES, turn Heavy, Mini-boss, and Catalyst zombies to Off. Then PLAYER tab, POINTS, Starting Points; raise starting points to 50,000.
Do not kill zombies if possible, just follow along and we'll find everything.
The basic layout is 2 upper decks across the midship, a Grand Staircase (1/4 from front) that goes down several floors, a Cargo Hold under Forecastle (bow/front) and the Engine Room under Poop Deck (aft/rear). Much of the 2 sides of the ship mirror each other. There are Blue doors that open from points, and Red doors that open from getting the Sentinel Artifact. I will walk you along my basic path for opening, your eventual strategy of opening may vary from this. I choose this path for the training areas it leaves on the lower deck. We will basically stay along the right side (from start, facing rear of ship) of the ship to the Poop Deck.
Start the Custom Mutation game now. You can pause the game as needed.
Start Room (Forecastle): You start at the front (bow) of the ship called Forecastle. You are up top. Across the open area, see the 2 upper and lower doors (blue symbol). both uppers open together, both lowers open together.
(Danu Perk Machine 1) The first Perk Machine in this Start area. Danu.
Walk down stairs to Danu Perk Machine, stand 4m in front of it, and note the red door behind you (it leads to PaP location after Sentinel Artifact is aquired).
Face away from the red door. From Perk Machine, walk up steps on right, open blue door (750), go up top.
$Shield Part 1a (Window part): At top of steps, stop and turn 180°. Looking over the steps, you will see a white border 'wall'. If the part is on that wall, you will see it clearly from here. If no part there, face (180° again) the burning lifeboat by the open door.
$SP1b. Go in the doorway by the burning half-lifeboat, go through the next doorway immediately ahead. There is a dresser with a hammer, string, and a green tackle box on it to your left. SP1b may be on that dresser. If not...
$SP1c. ...walk forward to hallway, make a right. Walk past first short connecting hallway on right (rk7 wallbuy here) to second short connecting hallway on right (very bright). SP1c will be on the bannister of that tiny connecting hallway. Walk past it to blue door (1000 points).
(Backtracking for clarity after SP1 part is aquired: From Start, up right steps, into door by lifeboat, hard right, follow to 1000 point door. Upper corner says "bridge").
Open the 1000 point door (into Upper Grand Staircase). Immediately turn left, then right as you go down steps. You will see a ?box location, a map with your location, and a blue door (1250). (Note that a PaP location is at the bottom of the Grand Staircase, but it is currently locked behind a red barrier. We'll be back after the Sentinel Artifact is aquired).
(Zeus Perk Machine 3). Open the 1250 door (to 1st Class Lounge). Stay left through 'window'. Walk past Bowie Knife, see Zeus Perk Machine, walk past Perk Machine on right side to blue door (1500).
Open 1500 point door (still 1st Class Lounge), walk down short hallway to deck on right (Promenade Port Deck), stay right at edge of ship and walk up the path at the edge to the area with GK5 wallbuy, 1750 point blue door, and a red door. (Note that the side path lifeboat will drop after aquiring Sentinel Artifact, allowing access up on the way back). This is Aft Deck.
Open the 1750 blue Aft Deck door by GK5. Walk down 'ramp' and the 2 stairs on right to lower area of Poop Deck. Immediately on your left is the Workbench to build the Shield.
From Workbench, walk up the right steps, under the (glowing blue) Sentinel Artifact, to the steps behind it. Go up the steps and activate the Sentinel Artifact. This opens all red doors and allows the 4 PaP locations to be activated.
(Note that the last PaP location activated will be the PaP machine. It will then move occasionally, so do not activate the last PaP location until ready to PaP. I suggest doing Poop Deck or Lower Grand Staircase last).
(PaP location 1). Sentinel Artifact activated, drop down, note the KN57 wallbuy and PaP location 1; Poop Deck. Hold X/xb1 (interact button) to activate PaP (or save this one for last).
$Shield Part 2: Now go down the steps to Workbench. From WB, look under the PaP location, the red doors there are now gone (open). Go in, down steps to Maddox gun wallbuy, turn right and follow hall to end (3rd Class Berths). At brown stairs, go down. SP2a is at the bottom of the stairs, on your left. It is a rectangle on the bannister of a white wall. It should be quite easy to see, but if not there...
$SP2b. Head down next steps to Provisions, take the hardest left and walk straight to the burning doorway and boxes ahead. SP2b may be on the boxes, leaning against the white wall on your left. It is easy to see. If not here, then...
$SP2c. ...turn right (lights through grates on floor), turn right again and walk that hallway. The lighting is orange-y and SP2c is on the boxes on the right mid-hallway. (If you turn right again, through carcass room, you are at the bottom of the steps where you first entered Provisions).
(Odin Perk Machine 4. Valve. PaP 2). With the second Shield Part in hand, open the blue door down here in Provisions (2000).
Now in the Engine Room, walk forward to 2 reddish lights, go slightly right, then left. Walk to Odin Perk Machine.
Face out from Perk Machine in Engine Room. You are facing water. You can hold your breath Indefinitely, it seems.
1. Valve from Odin Perk Machine: jump into water, turn to the left 180° so you see the Koshka wallbuy. Swim to the right of the Koshka through the opening, to the spotlights shining to the right. Go into the alcove on the right and hit X/xb1 (interact button. There will be a text prompt on screen) to turn the Valve. Continue through this area by swimming counter clockwise to avoid the zombies, go back to the steps by the Perk machine.
2. PaP location from the Odin Perk Machine, walk or swim straight out from the Machine, past the mid-room obstacles, through an opening to the easily visible PaP location. Hit X/xb1 (Interact button. Prompt on screen).
Make your way back up to the Poop Deck and Workbench.
(Ra Perk Machine 3. PaP location 3). From the Workbench on Poop Deck, face towards the front/bow of the ship. The Sentinel Artifact location is behind you. Go up both stairs on the left side, go up the ramp to the gk5. Head left to the path at the edge of the ship, but stay left and walk the (now open) path back up to the top of the ship by a blue door (1500).
Option 1. Open the (1500) door, go in and left/down, stay left, (in Galley) you will pass a Bowie Knife location, then enter the Dining Hall with the Ra Perk Machine. You may open the door (1250) to the Grand Staircase, or you can leave this closed for training on either side of these doors. If you open it, the PaP3 machine location is at the bottom of the Grand Staircase which I'll describe below again from another way.
Option 2. From next to the unopened (1500) door, stay left along the Boat Deck until you reach the Upper Grand Staircase (the first inside area, it is brownish). Head down 2 full flights of stairs until you see the blue doors (1250) to the Dining Hall with Ra Perk Machine (from Option 1 above). This is called Lower Grand Staircase. You may open to ot or not, depending on your choice above.
(PaP 3) At this point both options converge again. Head down the Lower Grand Staircase to the very bottom, activate the PaP3.
Head back up to the top of the Grand Staircase, head through Bridge back to Forecastle/Start (the stairs can be tricky to see, near steering wheel).
$Shield Part 3a: From Danu Perk Machine 1 at Forecastle, open the lower blue door on the right (750). Walk in past the first side hallway to the open door (bright light) on the left, stop and look in. SP3a may be in the bottom right alcove of the cubby holes directly across from the door that you are looking into. If not there...
$Shield Part 3b. ...continue straight down this initial indoor hallway towards the (1000) shotgun wallbuy ahead, but turn (30° right) into the giant hole in the wall on your right and walk in. You should see a chair ahead of you that may hold SP3b. If not, turn left to (1000) shotgun wallbuy.
$Shield Part 3c. Facing (1000) shotgun wallbuy in State Rooms, turn and walk left to corner, then turn left at corner, then take the first right which has one open door. Go in this room and SP3c may be on the chair immediately on your left. Head through the room, make a right back to Forecastle.
(Be sure to build your Shield at the Workbench on the Poop Deck).
(PaP4. Valve 2). From the Forecastle/Start area Danu Perk Machine, face the (now open) red doorway under your spawn area. Go in, turn right at the Vapr wallbuy, and get to the door (2000) at the bottom of the steps. Open that door. Go into the water and turn left and 180° just like we did under the Poop Deck. Very similarly again, stay along the right side and interact with the Valve, it has a light 1m above it and a bright spotlight shining towards it to help spot it. You will see the PaP4 location to your left, and a Titan wallbuy.
Extra clarity: If you see the bright blue Titan wallbuy, PaP4 is on that same wall, left of the Titan by a few meters/yards. Looking at the Titan wallbuy, turn 180° and swim past the brown boxes on your left and the Valve will be on your left.
######Kraken and Kraken Upgrade.
The Wonder Weapon, the Kraken, can be constructed or can simply be aquired from the ?Box. It can be upgraded once in the PaP machine (5000 points), and can also be given an elemental upgrade (3000 or 6000 points).
The first step is to aquire the Stoker's Key from killing a Stoker. Usually this is the first or second Stoker of the game (about round 10), but I've had it not show up until the 10th Stoker in a rare happenstance. Pick this up from the location that he died. Presumably it times out after a while, so grab it shortly after killing him.
Once the Stoker's Key is in hand, 3 times you must fill a treasure chest with (10?) zombie souls by killing them near it. You may locate the first chest location even before you get the Stoker's Key, if you desire to. Go up to the first chest and hit (interact button) to open it (with Stoker's key), and then fill it with souls. Once it is full, it will close and disappear, only to reappear in one of the 5 locations. Note that it may return to the exact same location it was just at. After 3 times of filling the chest with souls, you may aquire the Kraken from the Deck of the ship.
Nitty gritty: After the 3rd chest is full, the chest will appear at one of the 5 locations again, only now it will show a small object inside. This object will match an object along the outer perimeter of the top deck of the ship, which will be on a medium size crate. You can view this item in the chest and then look for it. However, this step is unnecessary, after the 3rd chest is full, you can simply go around the ship deck until you find the Kraken on one of the boxes on the ship deck where it spawns. Some items: Globe, compass, calipers, opera glasses (small binoculars).
-------Treasure Chest Locations: These appear as a large Treasure Chest if there, and as a couple of small boxes and items, if not there. (Remember to open the first Chest found, with the key, before killing zombies. After that, the Stoker Key is pointless).
1. Forecastle: From Perk machine, walk down steps to Vapr wallbuy, make right down next steps, Chest Location 1 is next to these steps at the bottom.
2. State Rooms to Millionaire Suites: Chest Location 2 is at the opposite end of the hall with the Portal to Provisions. In the white State Rooms area. Near shotgun wallbuy from 3rd Shield part above.
3. Galley: On the left side from Zeus Perk in Dining Hall, pass the SMG wallbuy, and stay left to rear of Galley. Small area, Chest Location 3 should be easy to spot.
4. Provisions: Chest location 4 is in the butcher room with the animal carcasses.
5. Turbine Room: From Provisions, go down into Engine Room to Turbine Room. Chest Location 5 is to the right of the Portal (to Grand Staircase?) in Turbine Room.
-------Kraken Deck Boxes: After filling the 3 Chests, simply walk the perimeter of the top deck, front to rear (or rear to front) and back along the other side, near the outer rails. As you approach the correct grey/brown crate with the matching Chest item, a Kraken tentacle should rise up and deposit the Kraken wonder weapon on the crate. But note that on occasion, the Kraken graphic does not load, so get up close to each crate and look for "Hold (interact button) for Kraken", as it may be invisible.
-------Kraken Upgrade: To upgrade it, you must aquire 4 parts. Gather the first 3 parts and build the Distiller Table. Then pick up an elemental part from a random killed Catalyst. You may change this last part and re-upgrade as desired.
1. 1st Class Lounge. 2 spots, on tables. If you stand by the Bowie Knife wallbuy, face 180°, walk forward 2m, first location is a white table on your right. If not there, walk a couple meters further, look right, and it will be on another small white table by the entrance (entrance is a small window with ramps). Copper pot/kettle part.
2. Galley. 2 spots. This is behind the Zeus Perk machine. Find this Bowie Knife wallbuy. While facing BK wallbuy, one part location will be on the farthest right wall, in a cubby hole of a large brown cupboard, between 2 zombie entry points, on top of 3 white candles which are laying flat. If not there, it will be on the exact opposite side of Galley, just past the small table. Or, from the smg wallbuy (the other side's entrance from Bowie Knife) just stay hard left and you will find it. This is like a pipe and cap together. So, hard right from Bowie, or hard left from smg (mx9?), from Dining Hall entrances by perk machine. The Galley is quite small, you'll find it.
3. Cargo hold. 2 spots. 1 location is straight out from Titan wallbuy (which is next to the Portal). From wallbuy, stay left by the Valve that drained the water, and the part is on the boxes right behind the bicycle there. The other location is among the stacks of stuff in the center of the Cargo Hold, between Titan and the steps out of the lowest area. This is a compressor.
4. Kill a Catalyst zombie of 1 of the 4 types and grab the elemental piece, this dictates the upgrade that you will get. Not every Catalyst will drop a piece, watch for them or run over an area where you just killed a horde and watch for a prompt. Stokers also seem to drop elemental pieces.
5. Build at a special build table by Engine Room. From Provisions, enter the Engine Room and make immediate right by the HELP graffiti. The table is straight ahead. Or, from the Odin Perk machine, face away from the perk, walk left side of room, up left steps towards exit, table at top of steps.
6. If you do the Elemental Upgrade before PaPing the Kraken, the upgrade cost is 3000 points (PaP is 5000). If you PaP and then do the elemental upgrade, the upgrade cost is 6000 points. It seems to be the same upgrade regardless of amount of points spent or order of upgrade.