Sign in to follow this  
anonymous

Weekly discussion: Who's the Witch in Buried?

anonymous    340

À la:

So the idea is to copy and paste the following questions, and answer them in your comment. Take a look at the prior linked post for examples. 

Who is the Witch/Mistress/Woman in Buried?

Why are there so many of her?

What is the purple steam/light coming from her?

Why does she try to sever (rob and kill) the player?

Why is she playing piano when doing a small easter easter egg?

Has she any connection with the Magic Well, the Wisp and the Maze?

@PINNAZ @GRILL @Boom115 @Shooter @MysteryMachineX lets see if I can reach some old fella's.

• Like 1

Awards

Lenne    415

Can't really participate, Anon, since I barely played Buried, but these questions really haven't been soved? (Even with the time line?)

anonymous    340
On 3-12-2017 at 0:57 PM, Lenne said:

Can't really participate, Anon, since I barely played Buried, but these questions really haven't been soved? (Even with the time line?)

Nope, the timeline didn't say anything about the Witch. The only hints we have about the witch is the fact that there is a huge portrait of Faraday in the Mansion, the quotes of the witch and possibly some technical quotes of Maxis/Richthofen (A soul already bound to this realm, etc)

Awards

RadZakpak    85

I'm not expert on the topic but I love talking about these loose ends left out of the timeline.

Who is the Witch/Mistress/Woman in Buried?

Personally I've always been a fan of the theory she is the wife of Michael Faraday who has been theorized to be involved with Buried in some way. I like the idea that he left her in America to leave her to die alone and haunt the town forever.

Why are there so many of her?

Aside from gameplay, I see it as just an ability she has as a "ghost". Now, the idea of an actual "ghost" in the general sense of the word doesn't really fit zombies, and for that reason I feel like she is some sort of manifestation of the original mistress' soul that can be copied over and over without actually dying.

What is the purple steam/light coming from her?

Perhaps some ethereal energy leaving a trail as she is both in this dimension and not in it at the same time.

Why does she try to sever (rob and kill) the player?

The method she uses against the player is interesting, as she is mostly pre-occupied with taking points and then inevitably killing you slowly. This reminds me of the theory of what exactly points are, and that is that points are ethereal energy collected from killing zombies and releasing their "souls". So she is figuratively trying to fetch your collected souls, and when you run out she tries to take yours to feed her own power.

Why is she playing piano when doing a small easter easter egg?

More than likely it was a hobby of hers in mortal life and it is what she did by herself until she eventually died. Also farfetched but in Origins music is shown to have some kind of power to form connections with other dimensions, so perhaps music is what led her to where she is? Or it is how she can be within our realm? Just a thought.

Has she any connection with the Magic Well, the Wisp and the Maze?

I think it's possibly she determines the maze route each time to torment whoever is still living in the town. Other than that I don't think she is directly involved in the well or the wisp.

Cool idea, I'll try and be back next week for another thread!

anonymous    340

@RadZakpak Those are some great ideas, most of which I've never thought.

I know about the Sarah Faraday theory, yet somehow I do not fully believe in it. I mean, yes, who else than Faraday (or his wife) himself would hang such huge portrait of Farady in his/hers house. But in the time of Buried, Jimmy Zielinski was still in charge, basing everything on real life events. According to wikipedia, Faraday never moved to the West, and it seems odd to me that the CoDZ developers just make him live in a old Western town. Let's take a look at some of the Lady's quotes:

"I'm the lady of the house"

"This is my house"

It's almost like she always was a widow. Maybe she never had a husband, and the house is really hers, and from no one else. 

"So many souls trapped here forever"
"You will stay forever..."
"You know we are here"

These quotes fit perfectly in your "souls" theory. You say she feeds herself with others souls. From these quotes it seems like there are alot of other souls in the house as well, next to the witch's soul. All these souls will stay forever in the mansion. Might be why there are so many witches: They are actually all trapped souls, now in power of the First Real Lady. Their life force (like the Wisp is a formless bolt of life force as well) now take the form of the witch.

"This house is a shadow of its former glory"
"This house holds many secrets"

Makes me wanna play Buried again and explore the House. At one point in history, this house really had alot of power, before (one of) its inhabitant turned into a ghost.

But how did she turned into a ghost?

1) Love pain, anger, etc (like the ghost in Whuttering Heights: Stupid movie, dont watch).

2) A crazy experiment of her husband (if thats Faraday). Possibly with the goal of making her immortal, but the experiment fails and Sarah is damned and cursed by the Dark Aether.

The purple light might refer to the Dark Aether: She has been to/has influenced by that dimension.

One thing.

"Maxis calls it a Wisp. Its really just a ball of life thats imprisoned in the place for all eternity. Probably best not to dwell about what it really is. Makes you so sad"

Once again, awesome answers, Rad!

Awards

RadZakpak    85

Good points, the Faraday thing might just be a throwaway reference, or it’s also possible either she or her husband were really into Faraday’s work. I think it would actually be really interesting if she were a scientist ostracized by her town for being a female scientist, and when she inevitably died she took her revenge on everyone. But that’s just a storyteller in me projecting, we really have no evidence foor that. I’m hoping she is brought up again sometime in the future.

Also on a somewhat related note, what about the Richtofen line in The Giant about Pack-a-Punch being designed by a man from the old west? Possibly the witch’s husband?

anonymous    340
17 hours ago, RadZakpak said:

Also on a somewhat related note, what about the Richtofen line in The Giant about Pack-a-Punch being designed by a man from the old west? Possibly the witch’s husband?

Thats a good point. It is indeed known that Group 935 based their Pack-a-Punch designs on the designs of a man in the old West. There is a PaP downstairs the garden house, behind the Maze. Maybe this was his workbench area. Maybe this was the place were the first version of the PaP machine was made. There is an unknown blueprint seen at the top of the Buried loading screen, very vagauely. Could this be the PaP?

Awards