RequixEclipse

Holy Emperor Fredrick Bararabossa

RequixEclipse    108

FREDRICK BARARABOSSA

4274D137-8B6D-416E-B4C3-245941A462F6.jpeg

Legend says he is not dead, but asleep with his knights in a cave in the Kyffhäuser mountain in Thuringia or Mount Untersberg in Bavaria, Germany.

When the ravens cease to fly around the mountain he will awake and restore Germany to its ancient greatness.

The story mentions that his red beard has grown through the table at which he sits. His eyes are half closed in sleep, but now and then he raises his hand and sends a boy out to see if the ravens have stopped flying.

819855F7-FAA1-4497-A421-4CDDCAC3E8AB.jpeg

The Story

After the Christians had held Jerusalem for eighty-eight years, it was recaptured by the Moslems under the lead of the famous Saladin, in the year 1187. There was much excitement in Christendom, and the Pope proclaimed another Crusade.

Frederick immediately raised an army of Crusaders in the German Empire and with one hundred and fifty thousand men started for Palestine.

He marched into Asia Minor, attacked the Moslem forces, and defeated them in two great battles.

But before the brave old warrior reached the Holy Land his career was suddenly brought to an end. One day his army was crossing a small bridge over a river in Asia Minor. At a moment when the bridge was crowded with troops Frederick rode up rapidly.

He was impatient to join his son, who was leading the advance guard; and when he found that he could not cross immediately by the bridge, he plunged into the river to swim his horse across. Both horse and rider were swept away by the current. Barbarossa’s heavy armor made him helpless and he was drowned. His body was recovered and buried at Antioch.

Barbarossa was so much loved by his people that it was said, “Germany and Frederick Barbarossa are one in the hearts of the Germans.” His death caused the greatest grief among the German Crusaders. They had now little heart to fight the infidels and most of them at once returned to Germany.

In the Empire the dead hero was long mourned and for many years the peasants believed that Frederick was not really dead, but was asleep in a cave in the mountains of Germany, with his gallant knights around him. He was supposed to be sitting in his chair of state, with the crown upon his head, his eyes half-closed in slumber, his beard as white as snow and so long that it reached the ground.

“When the ravens cease to fly round the mountain,” said the legend, “Barbarossa shall awake and restore Germany to its ancient greatness.”

You will notice that ravens will fly out of nowhere and I believe we are seeing our characters figure out how to draw off of this “energy” with Raven Research. 

The Ravens will become more prominent while your attempting to charge the batteries.

C6CCF2D2-0525-470E-98D2-6B6E72CD26EA.jpeg

Im posting on the fly as usual :P will update OP Frequently!

Edited by RequixEclipse
Update

anonymous    330

Nice! I too have seen the "ravens" prospection/quote. It is cool to see that the ravens actually appear in the game as well. Will Emperor Barbarossa really rise? Can you give a description of the quest step in which the ravens appear?

Awards

RequixEclipse    108
5 hours ago, anonymous said:

Nice! I too have seen the "ravens" prospection/quote. It is cool to see that the ravens actually appear in the game as well. Will Emperor Barbarossa really rise? Can you give a description of the quest step in which the ravens appear?

I’ve updated the OP im far from finished! I wish we had the option to save draft! That’s what I used to do

The Meh    77

I feel the need to commend both @anonymous and @RequixEclipse here, as... let's face it, I think both of you have made posts now regarding this and have nailed it straight out of the ballpark. Honestly, I just can't wait to see how this all plays out in-game, though.

anonymous    330

@The Meh Yes, the story is quite interesting and I am fund on the fact that it is based on real conspiracy theories. Dr. Fischer has discovered drawings on the walls in the Salt Mines that say that there is a secret ancient organization, who try to hide Barbarossa's sword and it's power for the rest of the world. I am sure we will hear from this organization in later maps.

@RequixEclipse I've also seen ravens fly away when turning on the gas valves at the start of the game. When shooting the lantarns in gröesen house, one will hear ravens as well. Does this all refer to the rise of the Emperor? Or has it something to do with Geistkraft as well, the red light you see when killing a zombie, an energy powerfull enough to rezurrect the dead and enpower machines.

Awards

The Meh    77
On 11/13/2017 at 11:08 AM, anonymous said:

@The Meh Yes, the story is quite interesting and I am fund on the fact that it is based on real conspiracy theories. Dr. Fischer has discovered drawings on the walls in the Salt Mines that say that there is a secret ancient organization, who try to hide Barbarossa's sword and it's power for the rest of the world. I am sure we will hear from this organization in later maps.

Yes, I'm sure we'll probably end up hearing a lot more about the organization, as they've probably meddled in these affairs more deeply than they can comprehend... not unlike Group 935.

That being said, I find the idea with Barbarossa more interesting, simply because of the mythos and legend that follows closely behind. I mean, it's not the only legend like this, and it has its own archetypal name for itself ("King in the mountain"), and isn't limited to Germany (or Frederick I, but I understand less how important Frederick II is to the legend [EDIT: Reading into it, it seems the legend originally was applied to Frederick II, yet it transferred over time to Frederick I. For whatever reason. Time will tell which emperor they portray.]). Kind of warrants research of its own for me, and I may well post something regarding it.

Of course, not on the caliber you guys have with Barbarossa already... that's something I didn't even think of and I'd rather leave the research there as is. It's more of the backing of it I'd want to do, the legends behind it and the whole backing allegorical meanings as a whole. So...

Edited by The Meh
  • Like 1