Why are these versions of the 4 characters' souls important??

Courcy6185

I'm a huge fan of zombies but I have never understood their actual reason for collecting the souls in the summoning key.  In particular, why are they travelling to specific universes to capture specific versions of themselves souls.  Is there something special about those particular versions?  I've searched high and low on the internet and watched countless youtube videos but none of them explain this!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't say much for Origin's character being important themselves, but we do that the dimension they are in carries a lot of weight and backstory to it. This is how I would figure out which characters are important and could potentially come back into the story. For example the characters in Origins, although they don't understand it themselves, have historical statues dedicated to them. Brock and Gary, Gersch, Albert Arlington, they all have layers to them. [backstories]

The omniverse, whatever you want to call it [in Black Ops 1 at least] are meant to be a collection of places in time that aren't really meant to have an impact on the characters. A lot of the places they go to are meant ot be deserted (COTD needs more explaining.) and pieces of the past, like radios and documents, remain but don't leave an impact on our characters, only the player. But somewhere along in their travels they will meet with an entities known as Gersch and free them. These are called Tangents I believe - or maybe I'm wrong about that. Completing the quest will free their "Soul", and the same goes for Arlington. 

tl;dl: The characters "souls" don't just carry the weight of the bearer, but carries the weight of all previous and incoming dimensions they've interacted with from time-travelling. One big tasty soul.

My understanding of it atleast...

• Administrators
On 4/7/2017 at 7:10 AM, Courcy6185 said:

I'm a huge fan of zombies but I have never understood their actual reason for collecting the souls in the summoning key.  In particular, why are they travelling to specific universes to capture specific versions of themselves souls.  Is there something special about those particular versions?  I've searched high and low on the internet and watched countless youtube videos but none of them explain this!

Blundell stated that killing these versions would ultimately kill off the other versions and prevent a crisis from occurring, just how it happened in the "original" universe. By preserving their souls and "purifying" them as children, they would be contained by Monty himself, assuring that universal chaos would not ensue as it had previously.

• 11 months later...

Richtofen believed that if they were to kill their older selfs or “Ultimis” It would mean that the all the events after that day would of never happened. Moon would of never happened BO2 and Victis would be no existent. 

He was wrong and it tells me and should signal to the community that Victis needed to exist and are the next in line to save the world if it falls into chaos again.

• Moderators
16 hours ago, RequixEclipse said:

Richtofen believed that if they were to kill their older selfs or “Ultimis” It would mean that the all the events after that day would of never happened. Moon would of never happened BO2 and Victis would be no existent. 

He was wrong and it tells me and should signal to the community that Victis needed to exist and are the next in line to save the world if it falls into chaos again.

I always thought the Takeo from ZNS wasn't from Ultimis. The other three which were killed are from the original 4, but that Takeo seems kinda fishy to me.

3 hours ago, Lenne said:

I always thought the Takeo from ZNS wasn't from Ultimis. The other three which were killed are from the original 4, but that Takeo seems kinda fishy to me.

That was Ultimis Takeo. The reason why Primis Takeo had to see this version is because he is still loyal to the empire and would not be persuaded to take his own life. By seeing himself held prisoner after being a loyal dedicated warrior for The Empire and Emperor Hirohito.  

In November 1928, the Emperor's ascension was confirmed in ceremonies (sokui) which are conventionally identified as "enthronement" and "coronation" (Shōwa no tairei-shiki); but this formal event would have been more accurately described as a public confirmation that his Imperial Majesty possesses the Japanese Imperial Regalia, also called the Three Sacred Treasures, which have been handed down through the centuries.

The Three Sacred Treasures 

9031F1A6-A8F5-4284-9854-6D030F078682.png

According to legend, these treasures were brought to earth by Ninigi-no-Mikoto, legendary ancestor of the Japanese imperial line, when his grandmother, the sun goddess Amaterasu, sent him to pacify Japan. These treasures were eventually said to be passed down to Emperor Jimmu, who was the first Emperor of Japan and was also Ninigi's great-grandson. Traditionally, they were a symbol of the emperor's divinity as a descendant of Amaterasu, confirming his legitimacy as paramount ruler of Japan. When Amaterasu hid in a cave from her brother Susanoo-no-Mikoto, thus plunging the world in darkness, the goddess Ame-no-Uzume-no-Mikoto hung the mirror and jewels outside the cave and lured her out of the cave, at which point she saw her own reflection and was startled enough that the gods could pull her out of the cave. Susanoo later presented the sword Kusanagi to Amaterasu as a token of apology; he had obtained it from the body of an eight-serpent, Yamata no Orochi.

We see 1 of these artifacts used in our Wonder Weapon on Zetsuba No Shima.

Seeing that he would be treated in such away Takeo is still true to Bushidō Code.

"The samurai of thirty years ago had behind him a thousand years of training in the law of honor, obedience, duty, and self-sacrifice ... It was not needed to create or establish them. As a child he had but to be instructed, as indeed he was from his earlietst years, in the etiquette of self-immolation."

-historian Arthur May Knapp

Self-immolation is tolerated by some elements of Mahayana Buddhism and Hinduism, and it has been practiced for many centuries, especially in India, for various reasons, including jauhar, sati, political protest, devotion, and renouncement. Certain warrior cultures, such as those of the Charans and Rajputs, also practiced self-immolation.

Primis Takeo would not allow Ultimis Takeo to wait in a jail cell for death. He deserved an Honorable death and this gave Primis Takeo peace of mind knowing that his Ultimis Soul was taken by his own blade.

• Moderators

@Lenne All souls we take in Black Ops III are the original Ultimis characters, but in a fracture of the original universe (so not like Primis from a different universe, merely fractures of the original one). These fractures have small differences: In one, Stalingrad is zombified and Nikolai is still fighting there. In one, Takeo is captured by Division 9, just as in the original timeline, but this time they use him as a testsubject and create a Thrasher of him. In the original timeline, he is delivered to Richthofen. Other differences in this fracture are: The Rising Sun Facility is overrun by the undead and the Island Facility is built, and Primis arrive in this timeline and tell Ultimis Takeo that it actually was the Emperor who betrayed him because of his discovery and criticism of D9.

Archived