If you wonder what the butterflies in Grief mean.

anonymous

• Moderators

You might remember the butterflies in Grief, when you knife or shoot an "enemy" player. He won't blood, he won't die: He will release a group of butterflies. Butterflies are seen in Kino der Toten too. Do they have any meaning? Well, yes. In fact, the butterflies predicted the Aether and Multiverse.

Our physical space is observed to have three large spatial dimensions, with a higher dimension being the Aether. Please read @AetherialVoices's topic before this one.

The third dimension, the one we live in, has three variables. An x, y, and a z axis. this allows what we call three-dimensional or "real" shapes to exist. The second dimension has two variables: The x and Y axis. We as three-dimensional beings are able to manipulate the second dimension. Think about drawing something on a flat paper (I know, paper has a Z-axis too, but you get the point). In that way, higher dimensions can manipulate our three-dimensional dimension. This theory explains powerups, wall weapons, the magic box, teleportation and matter transference. Imagine 3D as a paper (2D), and the Aether as 3D (I'm going to steal this one from you, Aetherial). You (now a 4D being) write two points on the paper (now 3D). How to get from point A to point B? Just double up the paper and sting a hole at point A. Now it directly leads to point B and voila: You've got a 4D rift, also known as a wormhole.

GzhGorX.jpgwormhole1.png

Now I read this afterwards, I see how bad I am in explaining. Hope you understand it. Anyway, IF you understand it, it seems logical that the Aether is one dimension above us, the fourth dimension. Well I don’t think that’s the case. I think the Aether is the Eleventh Dimension.

Our 3D's, the 4D (which might be time, and 6 unimaginable hyperspaces above that: The 10th dimension unifies the four fundamental forces of nature: electromagnetism, the strong and weak nuclear forces, and gravity.  The 11th dimension kinda hold many 10 dimensions together. With this, the 11th dimension explains all of the particles and fundamental forces of nature by modelling them as vibrations of tiny supersymmetric strings. This theory is called the Superstring Theory. Are you interested in this? Take a look at this:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_theory (10D)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstring_theory (11D)

images (2).jpg

I wish you luck. I excluded most of the stuff said on these pages because I only understood about 10% of everything said there, so there might be some interesting and usable information there.

We're moving on. The M-theory is a theory in physics that unifies all consistent versions of the superstring theory (the Eleventh Dimension). The "M" stands for mystery, magic and mother…. Or Monty? You must know that string theorists had identified five versions of superstring theory. Although these theories appeared, at first, to be very different, the M-theory proves that they relate to each other pretty much. Apparently the String-theories could be unified by mathematical transformations called S-duality and T-duality. The M-theory is based in part on the existence of these dualities and in part on the relationship of the string theories to a field theory called eleven-dimensional supergravity. Now some real brain-killing information explains all this stuff, but trust me, you don’t want to see that. Just remember the fact that the M-theory unifies the different "versions" of the 11th dimension.

Limits_of_M-theory.svg.png

Now finally we are getting at the butterflies. You might have hear of the butterfly effect: the concept that small causes can have large effects.

"Maxis... he was the first. The vessel you constructed for him back in World War I somehow shielded him from the influence of Element 115. He opened the portal between the worlds and, well, that's where and when shit really went teats up."

The butterfly effect is an important part of the "Chaos Theory". Directly copied from wikipedia: Chaos theory is a branch of mathematics focused on the behavior of dynamical systems that are highly sensitive to initial conditions. 'Chaos' is an theory stating that within the apparent randomness of chaotic complex systems, there are underlying patterns, constant feedback loops, repetition, self-similarity, fractals, self-organization, and reliance on programming at the initial point known as sensitive dependence on initial conditions. The butterfly effect describes how a small change in one state of a deterministic nonlinear system can result in large differences in a later state.

lorenzbutterfly.png

"Chaos: When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future."

The exponential growth of deviations is a property of the instability of the system itself and can be expressed by the Lyapunov exponent (lambda). There exist three kinds of Lyapunov exponents:
 • L < 0
 There is no chaos
 • L = 0
 The system is neutral
 • L > 0
 The system is chaotic

In modern cosmology, the mathematical chaos theory is also used. According to some interpretations of the M-theory is "our" universe, a bubble (with infinite numbers of different universes-bubbles) floats in a multidimensional chaos.

For this far this theory. A short summary: The Aether is the 11th dimension, being able to manipulate every dimension beneath. Every 3D universe (the Multiverse) floats in a multidimensional chaos.

If you feel like I only understand the half of all what I just said, you're right. But we are getting closer to the understanding of the Aether.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
6 hours ago, InfestLithium said:

Very complex, but interesting theory!

Now here's a question for ya: why are butterflies coming from characters from a Grief mode so important? Now that we know what the butterflies could symbolize, of course.

Something I think is because of the variety of different ways the game can go. One side can lose, or the other. If everyone dies at once it just restarts. With most maps you are on a linear path that can end in death or continuation, or they are a cycle that the announcer has little influence in.

With Grief, the announcer is keeping them from directly killing each other, but rather forcing them to out-survive each other in this small area. This is their own little game with its own rules, and it has a multitude of different outcomes.

Anyway, that's what I think if we go with the butterflies being significant. On the other hand, they could just be a form of "hit-marker" for knifing someone on the enemy team.

• Moderators
Just now, RadZakpak said:

Something I think is because of the variety of different ways the game can go. One side can lose, or the other. If everyone dies at once it just restarts. With most maps you are on a linear path that can end in death or continuation, or they are a cycle that the announcer has little influence in.

With Grief, the announcer is keeping them from directly killing each other, but rather forcing them to out-survive each other in this small area. This is their own little game with its own rules, and it has a multitude of different outcomes.

Anyway, that's what I think if we go with the butterflies being significant. On the other hand, they could just be a form of "hit-marker" for knifing someone on the enemy team.

I've thought about that too, but with a small difference. Every time you kill a person, the cycle starts over again and there happens exactly the same as before. In that way, the game kinda "skips" that part, because it already happened like that. Because it is in a loop, the time is unchanged, but with one difference: The butterflies. Where they come from, I don't know. Just a mark that the game ended, began again and continues on the spot you ended it the last time.

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

Today I've heard about the story of the Monarch butterflies, the ones we see in Grief. The butterfly species live in Canada, and during one period in the year they fly to Mexico. The unique oddity this species has, is that their journey is multi-generational. There are tons of examples of animal species (most obvious: birds) who travel to another location during one time a year, but what makes the Monarch butterflies so special, is that they die during this voyage to the south (and later back north as well). During the journey, they procreate, die, and their offspring repeats this. This happens many times before the species arrive at their destination.

Could the butterflies in Grief be symbolical? Could the CDC/CIA agents be the butterflies, dying and living many times before they have reached their final goal? Does Richthofen, or any other aetherial force, revives them any time again, untill they are at their destination?

• Moderators
2 hours ago, anonymous said:

Today I've heard about the story of the Monarch butterflies, the ones we see in Grief. The butterfly species live in Canada, and during one period in the year they fly to Mexico. The unique oddity this species has, is that their journey is multi-generational. There are tons of examples of animal species (most obvious: birds) who travel to another location during one time a year, but what makes the Monarch butterflies so special, is that they die during this voyage to the south (and later back north as well). During the journey, they procreate, die, and their offspring repeats this. This happens many times before the species arrive at their destination.

Could the butterflies in Grief be symbolical? Could the CDC/CIA agents be the butterflies, dying and living many times before they have reached their final goal? Does Richthofen, or any other aetherial force, revives them any time again, untill they are at their destination?

It just makes me curious what Richtofen’s end goal is with Grief besides just having fun for himself. 

I think it is plausible that because the CIA and CDC are trying to get involved saving people, Richtofen is trapping them in this hellish cycle so they do not interfere with the survivors he is controlling, maybe even specifically Victis. After the bombs from the Moon came down, the timeline states there was a ten year period where Maxis and Richtofen competed for power over the survivors. Radios in TranZit and Die Rise from the CDC say to ignore the voices as they are tearing groups apart. So Richtofen may have plucked the CDC and CIA agents aside to keep them away from other survivors, and to torture them for his own fun.

• Moderators
On 9/17/2018 at 2:14 PM, RadZakpak said:

It just makes me curious what Richtofen’s end goal is with Grief besides just having fun for himself. 

I think it is plausible that because the CIA and CDC are trying to get involved saving people, Richtofen is trapping them in this hellish cycle so they do not interfere with the survivors he is controlling, maybe even specifically Victis. After the bombs from the Moon came down, the timeline states there was a ten year period where Maxis and Richtofen competed for power over the survivors. Radios in TranZit and Die Rise from the CDC say to ignore the voices as they are tearing groups apart. So Richtofen may have plucked the CDC and CIA agents aside to keep them away from other survivors, and to torture them for his own fun.

I've always wondered what the role of the CIA and CDC is as well. What makes it even more complicated it that they appear in Nuketown and Angola (Buried) as well. 

Spoiler

Though maybe, both Buried and Nuketown are connected with secret American organisations. Nuketown we know, and for Buried:

Have you ever seen a photo of Area 51 taken from the air? It lays next to a huge salt flat, almost looking like a big chunk of dirt plus everything laying on top of it has been...disappeared. Have you ever heard of the Philadelphia experiment? It's a conspiracy theory about the American navy secretly performing a scientific experiment that resulted in teleporting a large destroyer ship away, resulting in the crew being 'molted' into the ships interior and other mysterious and unbelievable things. Imagine the US continuing this kind  of experiments, later performing it on a Old Western ghost town at Groom Lake. A possibility is that the Buried town laid on top of the salt-chunk at Area 51, and that the Temporal Rifts simply teleported this landscape away to a mine in the futuristic Angola.

And why do the CDC and CIA appear in both survival and grief mode? Are it the same characters, or different ones trapped in another loop

Archived