Smok3y

Did Black Ops 3 make you a worse player?

Smok3y    42

With the dust beginning to settle and a good bulk of the player base moving onto the next COD I wanted to take a brief look back at some of the mechanics that we have become accustomed to and ask yourself if you feel you have become a worse player as a result of this last iteration.

Lets start with public matches - these are pretty much impossible now in the sense that people will quit the game for the most arbitrary of reasons, most relating to crutches and making the game easier (usually when its not even required) for example, the player does not get perkaholic on his first spin, or does and loses it before round 5. That's pretty much a disconnect right there. As a result unless your playing with a dedicated or solid group you never really get the chance to practice multi group strategies etc.

The shield - This is now a common place item that originated from Tranzit and was built upon through the following maps motd & origins. I think this has been taken too far! an object that completely covers your backside but now has 3 shots or rocket boosts to get you out of those sticky situations. I liked the idea of the shield but think the extra damage took it over the top.

Gobblegum - speaks for itself, don't get me wrong, i use them, i will continue to use them but more for fun when playing with friends/casuals to make things a little easier for them which in turn will give me a higher probability of a longer lasting game.

triple hit downs - this is the big one for me. Some will say that it is adequately balanced with the zombies running faster, sooner. This directly makes things easier because of the reaction time extended between the first hit to escaping the 3rd hit, with that being said i am very happy i don't get windmilled anymore when without jug so a double edged sword but i certainly feel there have been plenty times i really should have died out.

Nothing else really comes to mind, i'm glad wall running was restricted to the pap room in Soe along with the anti-grav in DE and Rev.

Going back to playing bo1 and bo2 has exposed me and I did not realize how causal i had become. QR was gone before round 10 of CoTD  and it was a hard hitting fact that indeed I had become a worse player! I don't think I will stop using the things mentioned above for the reason mentioned above but I certainly need to go back to ANY of the previous BO's to get that fear factor back and improve some of my HR attempts.

Anyone else feel similar or maybe they feel opposite ?!?!

Rissole25    378

I wouldn't say it makes me worse, but I need a little re-adjustment when I go to play the other games. Being use to 3 downs and sliding does get me in a bit of trouble with those ones, but with time I get back to normal. Actually with the PS4 using the bumpers for aiming and firing, I decide to switch the PS3 controls to that scheme as well. It feels weird, but it's better than accidentally throwing grenades rather than firing and vice-versa.

I can see your point about the Shield and Gobblegums though. I didn't use GG's that often, so it doesn't effect me as much. As for the Shield it doesn't effect me to much. I'd rather they make it a precious commodity though. Like you can only have 1 per round or something.

• Like 2

ROFbaggingU    10

When I went back to play Mob of the Dead and Die Rise, at first yes. Only because of being used to 3 hits and not 2 anymore.

If anything your post brings up what is wrong with the game itself. Public matches are garbage now because none of the maps are very noob friendly except maybe The Giant. The basic concept of zombies itself was turned into a mess as the series went on. I dare to say that if we lived in the no internet era and BO3 came out, we'd never beat the easter eggs because you need youtube for it. I get that there are people that love the current direction....but at least offer a basic map for people wanting to just jump in and play without having to do a bunch of complicated things.

As for being a worse player, no. Hunting down easter eggs and spending endless hours have made me a better player. The days are gone where you simply survive by camping a spot or running circles in another. Now you can go on easter egg missions and at certain points you end up in a poor spot to fight off the horde. It's those moments where you know you can play or not. Especially on solo.

• Like 1

Smok3y    42

Definitely some solid points, agree with the youtube statement but still think it would be possible for the hardcore to figure out certain EE's as I have seen some groups go for it with a complete blackout. I certainly couldn't do it, for example the last step of SOE. 

In regards to getting better via all of those EE attempts I agree, I have learned a few new techniques on the way but for me personally, I need to put down bo3 and go back to where it began. Playing COTD will fix me up in no time.

One other area i never really touched upon as well were the guns. I feel previous games had a wider variety. Still amazed we never really got a revolver. The marshalls were very nice, just stuck in a map that has the least players. I feel we have been spoilt for guns in a weird way. the first 2-3 maps the box became pretty useless with the strength of some wall guns, ICR and HVK come to mind. I only really started hitting the box in in GK and Rev, to a lesser degree ZNS. I feel like the only truly bad guns are the SVG, Locus and Pharo (past round 6). Where as before I was certain to get a bad gun to work with, nightmares of the SMR come flooding back.

ROFbaggingU    10

To veer off topic a bit, I disagree with you when it comes to guns. I felt Blackops 3 had the best guns overall. It feels like every game I am going to get something good. Whether it's the Drakon, Haymaker, any of the 4 heavy machine guns, or wonder weapon you are set up nicely. I also strongly disagree that the Locus and SVG are considered bad guns. Those two guns have stopping power and can still one hit a zombie into the round 40s. I do agree with you on the pharo though fuck that gun.

I do miss having the magnum of World at War, and the flamethrower too. I guess Shadows of Evil had a weaker magnum but it still wasn't the same.

Smok3y    42

Maybe I did not word it appropriately but the guns in BO3 are far superior to those prior. The 'variety' was more aimed towards bad guns eg SMR, Chicom CQB, Kap 40, Mtar to name a few that forced you to adapt early game. However you would likely stick with those for a few rounds and make your points back.

Die rise / Buried changed it up by adding the AN-94 to the wall-buy which was a superior wall-gun with bags of ammo, along with the SVU that actually made it so a wall gun was on par with the high end box guns. Realistically my group at that stage for those maps we were only hitting the box for things like time bombs, monkeys, mk2, paralyser etc.

In Bo3 we have had super strong wall guns from day one in the HVK and ICR which kind of negated the reason to hit the oh so random box and i strongly feel treyarch realized this by the end of DE and maybe moreso after ZNS as there was a clear change in box usage. By the time GK launched, you actually wanted to hammer the box again for mk 3's, FFAR and i forget the other 1-2 very decent guns.

And by that proxy, increase the randomness of games that in turn breeds variety. What i'm saying is that variety was there from day 1 of Bo2 but took a while to get there in Bo3 in relation to the guns specifically. Bo3 clearly had the superior/stronger gun set with less variety.

In regards to the Locus and SVG ill stick to my stance of them being shit especially the locus. As a DSR enthusiast i like those style guns but this one is terrible. Even my boy Richtofen says so when he pulls it.

"Oh Fuck off Box"

:)

BfoolingU    0

I think it's balanced just because the zombies run sooner and faster and hit quicker therefore it would be nuts if we only got 2 hit downs.... also the EEs have gotten so complicated to do (especially solo) that they almost had to implement something to help us along our journey (aka gobblegums) I agree with the shield thing I think they should've took out the rocket boost and give it like 5 hits or so before it breaks, that way you would be traveling to get one more often, the maps are also littered with ways to hang you up so.... I dunno for the most part I think it's balanced with the exception of something's like the shield.... im a Bo2 fanboy this game was an instant classic for me I absolutely love it

Sent from my iPhone using Call of Duty Zombies mobile app

Rissole25    378

I wish they'd kept the Black Ops 2 Shield to be honest. Looking at all the versions I just prefer it.

Placeable Shield: You can place this as a barrier, and it acts like a smaller version of a Monkey Bomb.

Rocket Shield: The Rocket Boost has a ton of end lag with the animation. It's just to risky to use honestly.

Electric Shield: 50% off perks. Will instantly kill one zombie. But the lightning takes a long time to strike.

Dragon Shield: The best one. Very powerful Fire Blast.

Nieno69    126

Oh yeah... public matches....

I never ended a 4 player game with randoms with 4 player...

When i am the host it ends up being a solo game

The shield: i love the shield and use it for training - if a have to run nearby a zombie i just turn the back to him -  and let it hit the shield instead of running around

The gg's are ok

I dont like e.g. perkaholic or shopping free - that is the tactic for most the players - get perkaholic from the gg machine

The most gg are fun and for real strategies only cache back and alchemical are important

About the three hit.... if i have no shield i avoid getting hit at all...

I dont know if i got better but i think i didnt get worse

• Like 1

Awards

Honestly I don't play public games on BO3 anymore. For the reasons you said, but also I dunno, it's like unless you're doing the easter egg, then teamwork has gone out the window.

With regards to whether BO3 has made me a better or worse player.... neither really. Got better at some things, worse at others. For example, with BO1 I used to mostly go with a 'gather a train, kill it in one shot' method. Sure, later on people started using quicker strats, but I wasn't playing the game when all those strategies were being invented. Now, given how much I use Dead Wire, I'm totally used to kiting and killing small groups and it's made my running skills better. However, Widow's Wine has fucked me over. When I used to get into hairy situations, I played a lot of No Man's Land and had seriously good reflexes and was a bit of an escapologist. Now though, when I get cornered I'm instinctively a bit slower to react because I know Widow's is gonna give me a little extra time to react.

• Like 1

I forgot to add re: the 3 hit downs, hasn't affected me tbh. With the older games, I avoid getting hit twice to avoid going down, with BO3 I still avoid getting hit twice as I don't wanna get red screened. If anything, it's just a let-off of being windmilled or double-slapped at a window, but I still treat it the same and try and avoid being hit when I have no jugg.

ROFbaggingU    10

I forgot to mention dashboarding.

Being able to dashboard and keep your gums, while handy, can also be attributed to getting lazy in some games. Like being able to start out with a ton of points or perks. It's great because it cuts down on the tedious parts of some levels. Case in point Zetsubou No Shima. That map is actually playable on solo with shopping free, double points, immolation liquidation, perkaholic, etc.

The whole thing is a double edged sword with pros and cons, but this is something I could say helps make me a lazy gamer at times.

14 hours ago, ROFbaggingU said:

I forgot to mention dashboarding.

Being able to dashboard and keep your gums, while handy, can also be attributed to getting lazy in some games. Like being able to start out with a ton of points or perks. It's great because it cuts down on the tedious parts of some levels. Case in point Zetsubou No Shima. That map is actually playable on solo with shopping free, double points, immolation liquidation, perkaholic, etc.

The whole thing is a double edged sword with pros and cons, but this is something I could say helps make me a lazy gamer at times.

Self Medication is also ridiculously overpowered. If you went down before it was like "ohhhhh crap, now I've gotta try and get to Jugg with no perks..." whereas with Self Med you just keep a Dead Wire RK5 in your loadout and if you go down, just zap a zombie, up you get, all perks intact, carry on as before. You get THREE chances with it as well, you could keep spinning the GG machine once at the start of every round to replace any lost chances before you run out as well if you have a bunch of them and potentially go down a tonne of times and still no game over.

Edited by ZombiesAteMyPizza!

Smok3y    42

I think they really dug their own grave in terms of the final nail in the coffin with dash boarding. I'm not going to sit on my high horse and pretend i don't do it because I do. What I will say is that I do not do it in public matches only solo. But its annoying that people don't play pubs with shit gums or ones they don't mind losing.

The only mega in my public setup in phoenix up.

On a side note, I have played zombies alot since day one. I have still to date never had a secret shopper gum. That's over 300 divinium spent. I know RNG is RNG but that highlights some flaws in the system and why people will continue to dashboard in pubs to save gums.

RadZakpak    85

I honestly feel like BO3 has not affected how I play the older games. If anything I feel like I am better. I think my problem is I go in with the mindset that BO3 is so easy, and it is most of the time, and because there are so many little side quests to complete I have so many chances to mess up and die. Not to mention the game is more fast-paced.

Going back to play BO1 is like muscle-memory. I don't even have to adjust to the two-hit down. Because there's not all this side stuff I make myself do to set up, I am way more careful and safe.

Once I get set up in BO3 it's a cakewalk, but I think I am just not careful enough while setting up, and for me that makes going back and playing BO1 or 2 way easier.