Sign in to follow this  
Smok3y

Revisiting the Old Maps

Smok3y    42

So for those on PS4 the journey is over and imminently the same for Xbox and PC. Of course there is the Super EE that everyone will be chasing in the short term but as per usual once the final DLC of a treyarch COD drops i'm already going back to the older maps. While I may have certain preferences in each iteration of Zombies I am purely doing it for the Nostalgia.

Yesterday I played a game of buried - a map I know a lot of people claim is too easy (then don't sit in jug and challenge yourself!) I know the N4 get ALOT of flak but it was actually alot of fun to hear some of the old quotes - of course in my opinion no quote tops merl in COTD but we all have our preferences. I'm actually really looking forward to a good game of Tranzit and Origins over the coming weeks and months.

Which old map is not necessarily your favorite but will be one of the first ones you go back to for that nostalgic feeling?

PS - I have managed to avoid anything revelations related to date so no spoilers please!!

There are several tbh. Der Riese on W@W was the first map that really got me into zombies a few months before Black Ops 1 came out, and my mate and I played it every damn night for hours. Same thing every time, just get set up and camp the catwalk, running strategies weren't all the rage then.

FIVE is another, first time split-screeners could go online for a 4 player game and we had so much fun with it.

I bought the game myself about the same time that Ascension came out and first started getting into soloing, learning to train and actually getting somewhere on that map and also did my first ever round 100 on it, which also brings back fond memories.

Moon is the last one, again just had so many fun co-op games on it. The easter egg was actually fun as well as it was the first BIG easter egg, just getting a bunch of guys together and having such fun doing it.

I didn't really get into BO2 at all. Black Ops 3 has been decent but I've been playing for several years now (with some time out around BO2 era) and it's still a fun game, but I'll sadly never create nostalgia-worthy memories again so my nostalgic maps will never extend past BO1. But I have many fond memories, from getting into the game when camping was still all the rage and the whole thing just seeming so scary and hectic, to lurking around on forums like this when strategy was a big thing and running trains was still very cool and you'd learn from watching all the big guns at the time and reading their guides, then eventually getting good enough that you could just get in a game on an easier map and shoot the breeze or getting one friend in for a high-rounder.

Not saying BO3 hasn't been good and it's a shyte sight better than BO2, but now there's no creativity required in terms of strategy like there used to be and that just spoils it for me. It's either, the map has weapons in which you can camp to ridiculous rounds, or you get Deadwire/Blast furnace on a wall gun and run trains without any ammo worries. We used to have to rely very heavily on strategy and even several years after the release of BO1 and its DLCs, people were still coming up with new strategies. With BO3, the PS4 guys have already figured out the best strategies before the other guys have even played in most cases.

Wow, I went off on quite a tangent there :lol:

Edited by ZombiesAteMyPizza!
  • Like 1

Smok3y    42

I think your right in terms of the nostalgia, for those that have been playing the series a while it has taken an unforeseen turn and alot of those memories are from first experiences. I think SoE was too difficult for a first map as ATVI were clearly trying to make it appeal more to the casual crowd in my eyes with making the maps more task orientated and the extra hit.

I think alot of the nostalgia for me was actually created around bo2 and the n4 but its nice to now go back through the story on the old maps, hearing old quotes knowing what we do now can make me smirk at times.

• Like 1

ROFbaggingU    10

Looking back on the maps, I'd have to say Verrukt might be the best pure zombies map. No easy camping, only zombies, no dogs or other ridiculous "boss", and introduced the perk system.

• Like 1

Rissole25    378

Probably my least favourite map, Shi No Numa. Don't hate it or dislike it, but just prefer everything over it. But that would be the map I'd choose to play, to give that nostalgic feeling.

Reading this post kind of makes me want to start a little mini series of posts here. Say, I was to go back and revisit the maps from waw and bo1&2 and just basically take it all in again and then write a few things of my nostalgic experiences for you guys. I've done similar in the past and everyone seemed to enjoy it. Idk. Lemme know if that's something anyone would be interested in and maybe when I have the time I'll sit down and go through it.
Ps.. Super EE? Have a missed something?
..to be fair I've missed quite a bit. I've just barely played BO3 zombies. And what I have played has been very brief and excludes anything from GK and revelations.
But yeah, what's this super EE?
No spoilers if possible pls haha

Sent from my iPhone using Call of Duty Zombies mobile app

• Like 1

Awards

anonymous    325

TranZit and Kino are the most nostalgic for me. Kino ain't a problem but to find good players who don't leave when they go down and you can't revive them in TranZit seems to be hard these times.

Awards

The first map I would go back to for nostalgic purposes would most likely be Der Riese. The countless hours I spent playing that map with friends probably exceeds that of any other map. Well, accept kino. For those who love kino(practically everyone), I think it's safe to say that was the most played map lol

Idk actually. Maybe tranzit is my most nostalgic. I used to obsess over that map. Playing it for hours on end just looking around and trying to decipher little eggs here and there.
Too many to choose from really. Every map has its own individual nostalgic feeling different from the rest

Sent from my iPhone using Call of Duty Zombies mobile app

Awards

Mr. Jay    60

I always go back to Five, just to get into zombs.  Its always been my favorite map and I can never get tired pf it.

Its like that great movie or book you cant seem to forget.

• Like 1

Awards

On 25/10/2016 at 3:31 AM, ROFbaggingU said:

Looking back on the maps, I'd have to say Verrukt might be the best pure zombies map. No easy camping, only zombies, no dogs or other ridiculous "boss", and introduced the perk system.

I think in terms of the best survival map, you're right. Nacht was a bit too bare bones, whereas with Verruckt even if you're inexperienced at zombies, you've got enough tools at your disposal to put up a good fight but at the same time it's still just the essentials you've got.

In terms of the perfect zombies experience though, I'd always go with Der Riese. You've got the Pack-a-Punch which isn't at all overpowered, and when you're pretty new to the game it just adds to the excitement. As I said above it's the first map I played after being introduced to a friend, and when I got to PaP my MG I was just like "Yeeeeeeaaahh now I'm ready!". Same with the dogs, in the later rounds (30 to 40 was considered pretty high in those days haha, especially if you're camping as was popular then as it all starts to get mega hectic what with the Ray Gun being he most powerful camping weapon) you're screaming for ammo and at the end of every 4th round you're begging for the dogs to come haha. It's a game at the end of the day, you need that excitement factor and Verruckt lacks that due to still being so basic. If there was any map I'd recommend someone if they wanted to get their friend into playing zombies for example, Der Riese would be it.

ROFbaggingU    10
3 hours ago, ZombiesAteMyPizza! said:

I think in terms of the best survival map, you're right. Nacht was a bit too bare bones, whereas with Verruckt even if you're inexperienced at zombies, you've got enough tools at your disposal to put up a good fight but at the same time it's still just the essentials you've got.

In terms of the perfect zombies experience though, I'd always go with Der Riese. You've got the Pack-a-Punch which isn't at all overpowered, and when you're pretty new to the game it just adds to the excitement. As I said above it's the first map I played after being introduced to a friend, and when I got to PaP my MG I was just like "Yeeeeeeaaahh now I'm ready!". Same with the dogs, in the later rounds (30 to 40 was considered pretty high in those days haha, especially if you're camping as was popular then as it all starts to get mega hectic what with the Ray Gun being he most powerful camping weapon) you're screaming for ammo and at the end of every 4th round you're begging for the dogs to come haha. It's a game at the end of the day, you need that excitement factor and Verruckt lacks that due to still being so basic. If there was any map I'd recommend someone if they wanted to get their friend into playing zombies for example, Der Riese would be it.

Oh I totally agree with you on Der Riese. Back in the day that was our go-to map and right up until I stopped playing in 2013 it was my favorite. Even once I started playing again in 2016 I still have a love for the Der Riese remake.

But with Der Riese/The Giant, it can become repetitive at times. Most games are going to end up on the catwalk or you're going to run teleporter to teleporter. Not to mention once you get the waffe you're going to survive long if you don't do anything stupid. Kino is another fun map, but it has the same flaws.

This is why Verrukt is fun, because there is no 100 percent safe spot and it will challenge you. Honestly, Revelations is growing on me as one of the more fun maps even though it's still new. There's so many ways to play that map and it gives many options to play it. Much like Origins with the staffs and Der Eisendrache with the bows. But I agree Der Riese was the best classic map followed by Kino.

1 hour ago, ROFbaggingU said:

Oh I totally agree with you on Der Riese. Back in the day that was our go-to map and right up until I stopped playing in 2013 it was my favorite. Even once I started playing again in 2016 I still have a love for the Der Riese remake.

But with Der Riese/The Giant, it can become repetitive at times. Most games are going to end up on the catwalk or you're going to run teleporter to teleporter. Not to mention once you get the waffe you're going to survive long if you don't do anything stupid. Kino is another fun map, but it has the same flaws.

This is why Verrukt is fun, because there is no 100 percent safe spot and it will challenge you. Honestly, Revelations is growing on me as one of the more fun maps even though it's still new. There's so many ways to play that map and it gives many options to play it. Much like Origins with the staffs and Der Eisendrache with the bows. But I agree Der Riese was the best classic map followed by Kino.

I think all that is why I say Verruckt is probably the best overall map for pure survival. It's tough, but still appealing because of perks and traps and all that fun stuff. I think a lot of the maps have that same flaw that you mentioned with Der Riese and Kino though - most maps have a strategy in which you can just mindlessly rinse-and-repeat it to get to high rounds, even Verruckt. I still remember reading Superhands' solo zombies guide back like 5 years ago and trying out the loop and trap method he suggested, honestly even though the map is tight everywhere it was so easy it actually got boring, like you said about Kino you just can't go down unless you screw up big time. Players these days don't like slow strategies like that and if it's too slow they'd rather just not play the map and there's a "faster is always better" mantra to zombies nowadays, but with most maps if you're willing to do something slow and boring then almost any map can be easy.

With that in mind, I think another thing that, for me, makes Der Riese the ultimate zombies map is that there are actually a tonne of different strategies you can use, some slower and easier and some are fast and furious. I've been playing zombies since Der Riese first came out on W@W and it was the done thing to either camp the catwalk or run from teleporter to teleporter, but so many different strategies have been established since and while the catwalk strategy still remains a staple, running from tele to tele has since become known as a bit of an inefficient strategy, and the Wunderwaffe doesn't have enough ammo to carry you through the high rounds.

As I say, there are so many known strategies across all 3 versions of Der Riese now, so the variation for individual choice in strategy is great. Some only work on the W@W and Black Ops versions since the traps run for a shorter duration, whereas on Black Ops 3 the traps stay on a lot longer which ruins some strategies, but makes others work really well. Plus, the upgraded ammo types pretty much make the Wunderwaffe redundant, and with buyable ammo if you get the special ammo on a wall gun there are strategies that weren't feasible during high rounds on previous games due to the WW not having enough ammo, that now work - some would see this as a bad thing, but then that's the good thing about having different versions of the map to play! Also, the implementation of Gobblegums has produced even more strategies if you didn't find the previous versions of the map to your taste. In either sense, the earlier versions still boast handfuls of strategies to try out, so with so many different options to suit the player, I think that adds to what makes it the best zombies experience as far as maps go. Even without the BO3 reboot, I still class it as the ultimate zombies map. That along with the creepy atmosphere still... if there was any map I'd label as the perfect zombies map, Der Riese is it. I think all of the above is the reason why it's so popular that it got a second remake and even old skool fans like myself were still hyped for the release of The Giant even though we've played Der Riese so many damn times :lol:

ROFbaggingU    10
4 hours ago, ZombiesAteMyPizza! said:

I think all that is why I say Verruckt is probably the best overall map for pure survival. It's tough, but still appealing because of perks and traps and all that fun stuff. I think a lot of the maps have that same flaw that you mentioned with Der Riese and Kino though - most maps have a strategy in which you can just mindlessly rinse-and-repeat it to get to high rounds, even Verruckt. I still remember reading Superhands' solo zombies guide back like 5 years ago and trying out the loop and trap method he suggested, honestly even though the map is tight everywhere it was so easy it actually got boring, like you said about Kino you just can't go down unless you screw up big time. Players these days don't like slow strategies like that and if it's too slow they'd rather just not play the map and there's a "faster is always better" mantra to zombies nowadays, but with most maps if you're willing to do something slow and boring then almost any map can be easy.

With that in mind, I think another thing that, for me, makes Der Riese the ultimate zombies map is that there are actually a tonne of different strategies you can use, some slower and easier and some are fast and furious. I've been playing zombies since Der Riese first came out on W@W and it was the done thing to either camp the catwalk or run from teleporter to teleporter, but so many different strategies have been established since and while the catwalk strategy still remains a staple, running from tele to tele has since become known as a bit of an inefficient strategy, and the Wunderwaffe doesn't have enough ammo to carry you through the high rounds.

As I say, there are so many known strategies across all 3 versions of Der Riese now, so the variation for individual choice in strategy is great. Some only work on the W@W and Black Ops versions since the traps run for a shorter duration, whereas on Black Ops 3 the traps stay on a lot longer which ruins some strategies, but makes others work really well. Plus, the upgraded ammo types pretty much make the Wunderwaffe redundant, and with buyable ammo if you get the special ammo on a wall gun there are strategies that weren't feasible during high rounds on previous games due to the WW not having enough ammo, that now work - some would see this as a bad thing, but then that's the good thing about having different versions of the map to play! Also, the implementation of Gobblegums has produced even more strategies if you didn't find the previous versions of the map to your taste. In either sense, the earlier versions still boast handfuls of strategies to try out, so with so many different options to suit the player, I think that adds to what makes it the best zombies experience as far as maps go. Even without the BO3 reboot, I still class it as the ultimate zombies map. That along with the creepy atmosphere still... if there was any map I'd label as the perfect zombies map, Der Riese is it. I think all of the above is the reason why it's so popular that it got a second remake and even old skool fans like myself were still hyped for the release of The Giant even though we've played Der Riese so many damn times :lol:

It's funny that you mention finding new strategies on Der Riese/Giant, because I actually found one....and it's one that makes the waffe the go-to weapon.

I basically discovered this by accident. In the very high rounds you'll only be using the waffe. For gumballs you need alchemical anthesis, max ammo, and the one that lets you buy ammo off the wall for any gun. You'll never run out of ammo, have a ton of points, and watch how easy it is.

The teleporter strategy isn't as good on the remake because the zombies spawn all over and you can't run map-wide trains anymore.

Smok3y    42

@thegoldenspork115 Please do, that sounds pretty interesting and would help to keep the forums stimulated. I love to hear others perspectives on the old maps.

@anonymous I'm glad i'm not the only one that has positive memories of Tranzit, its funny because others had briefly mentioned if you could bring new players into a map or game mode which would it be, I would absolutely advocate tranzit, on a basic level the whole don't miss the bus is gaming hilarity.

@Mr. Jay Five is one of my least favorite maps purely because I never learnt it, the idea of the pentagon thief in my eyes is one of the worst and never played it much. However there is something very satisfying about blowing up z heads as Mr. Nix.

My personal favorite old school map is actually Nacht, it is VERY barebones but if I know i don't want a game longer than 40 minutes this is my go to. Verrukt is a map i have literally only played a handful of times but its atmosphere is exactly how zombies should be. even kiting 1 zombie, you can still become apprehensive that there may be another, don't really get that feeling on the newer maps.

I've spent the last week hammering Kino and Shangri la, Shang is a harder map but I really like the layout and the mine cart, its really growing on me and the amount of story/history in this map is incredible, often i spend more time looking around for all the old stuff rather than actually playing the map!

Brock, Gary, you made it to the big time!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ROFbaggingU said:

It's funny that you mention finding new strategies on Der Riese/Giant, because I actually found one....and it's one that makes the waffe the go-to weapon.

I basically discovered this by accident. In the very high rounds you'll only be using the waffe. For gumballs you need alchemical anthesis, max ammo, and the one that lets you buy ammo off the wall for any gun. You'll never run out of ammo, have a ton of points, and watch how easy it is.

The teleporter strategy isn't as good on the remake because the zombies spawn all over and you can't run map-wide trains anymore.

Sounds fun :D I always just go for Dead Wire on a wall gun though. Dead Wire pretty much IS a Wunderwaffe as it does exactly the same thing, just there's a 5 second charge time between shots which is practically nothing. Even with alchemical, once you get into the really high rounds (50+) then you can't hit the gum machine often enough to ensure that you always have an alchemical when you need it because it costs too much to hit more than once per round, and you'd find yourself needing an alchemical once or twice per round once you're at that stage with the Wunderwaffe. Does help of course if you have the max ammo and secret shopper gums, but if you're running at a place that has a wall buy anyway you might as well save your gums and get the wall gun with Dead Wire and it'll do the exact same thing as a Wunderwaffe, no alchemical or other gums needed to help you with ammo because it's right there ;)

My favourite strategy at the moment is to keep the door between the power switch and the Bowie knife door closed. Then use Wall Power to get three upgraded wall guns (vesper, VMP and RK5), and use Bullet Boost to double PaP them without using the PaP as well so I can get Dead Wire on the Vesper and RK5, and either Dead Wire or Blast Furnace on the VMP. Then you're all set up and you can run a figure of 8 in the power switch area, zap the small group of zombies every 5 seconds with Dead Wire and also hit the trap whenever it's recharged.

I also start each round in the first room on the top of the stairs, getting most of the zombies to spawn in the first room at the start of the round, then go through to the Thompson/VMP room and hit the trap as I go through there so all the zombs that follow me through will be kiled by the trap. Then up the stairs, let all the zombies spawn and drop down off the ledge and hit the bridge trap.

Nice and easy strategy, never any ammo worries whatever the round and it's also nice and fast. I also keep a Self Medication gum on once I'm set up, so if I go down then I'd have the RK5 with Dead Wire on, so I zap a zombie with that and I instantly get revived with all perks intact :D I've got quite a few of them so I hit the machine at the end of every round if I were to lose one, so it then gets replaced and topped up if I take another. If I wanted to go to round 100 with this strat, even on a day where I'm not playing very well, I could manage it absolutely no problem and in quick time.

Yeah, if you get two areas away then the zombies will respawn on you unless you're facing the direction of the zombies. This can actually be used to your advantage though, if you, say, teleport from the Bowie area then all the zombies respawn around you and you can have them follow you through one of the traps at either side of the spawn. Still though, relying on teleporters too much will drain your points soon enough and it's actually quite slow, tonnes of better options out there tbh.