Sign in to follow this  
Rissole25

A line from Maxis in Buried is puzzling

Rissole25    378

If you end up doing Maxis End Game in Buried, he has a line that says

"Once the gateway is open, I will finally be reunited with my dearest Samantha"

I have always associated this with Maxis opening the gateway himself, whatever that would mean. However, what if he was referring to the Origins event? The one that Maxis always mentions in Black Ops 3, and Richtofen occasionally mentions? Could Buried Maxis have known the gateway was going to be opened in Origins? And if so, what implications could that have?

I believe that Buried Maxis in the end shattered the barriers between dimensions, spawning millions of alternate worlds. It was then Origins Maxis that opened the gateway that allowed passing between worlds. Both Maxises were motivated to do anything at all costs just to see Samantha again. And Giant Maxis managed to actually see Samantha, so in a way it worked. But now they are unsafe due to the damage they caused.

It doesn't surprise me that the Maxises all say similar things, as they are all the same person with the same motivations, just different situations.

Slade    270

@MysteryMachineX

That doesn't sound very likely to me.

Let's look at their conversation in full again, there's a lot we can draw from it.

"The process has begun. Now I control the Aether's energy. I can at last reach Agartha!"

"Ah you fools! Why did you listen to him!?"

"Regretfully. I must inform you, that neither the earth nor its people will survive."

"Ah I tried so hard to warn you - dummkopfs!"

"Once the gateway is open, I will finally be reunitied with my dearest Samantha."

"Hello, aren't you forgetting something? Even if your wretched daughter is still alive - she has my body!"

The most obvious thing here is that Maxis' plan all along was to use the powered up towers to control the Aether's energy, which he claims would allow him access to Agartha. 

In the next line he says that once the gateway is open, he can finally reach Samantha.

In this context, this gateway he's talking about has to refer to Agartha. The gateway to Agartha, to Samantha.

Because Gateway > Agartha > Samantha. It's a simple deduction.

And another piece of evidence that we aren't talking about le multiverse just yet is Richtofen's final line. 

"Hello, aren't you forgetting something? Even if your wretched daughter is still alive - she has my body!"

Richtofen clearly says here that even if Maxis were to enter Agartha and even if his daughter was still alive, she's still stuck in his body.

So that means we're talking about a single universe here, the one we're currently in. 

Another more realistic explanation would be the writers hadn't come up with making multiple universes canon to save the story yet.

@Rissole25

Frankly Black Ops 2's story as a whole was puzzling. It was nothing but endless sub-plots that never ever went anywhere (The Flesh Broken Arrow Mend the Rift).

The fact Agartha was suddenly shoehorned into the very end of Buried is just another example of the writers not knowing where the fuck to take the story next.

Just the fact you can paste "Who knows?" at every corner in BO2 Z shows how much effort went into the writing.

So what's the deal with the Flesh? Who knows.

What's Broken Arrow got to do with anything? Who knows.

What do 3 random towers have to do with the Aether? Who knows.

How did Samantha get into Agartha? Who knows.

I don't believe that most things in the past of zombies were written with a multiverse in mind, or any type of real conclusion. It has bad writing, as you said. However, if we are to take in the story as whole, zombies lately is injecting things into the story. Whether or not the people in Buried know it, a multiverse is shown to exist, even if they are unaware and solely revolve around their own universe.

But the very fact that we're talking about Agartha means that were talking multiple universes, realms, whatever you want to call them. When Richtofen brings up his body, Maxis brushes him off, as if Maxis knew something Richtofen didn't. The very fact that Maxis apparently knew something about Agartha, and his belief that Samantha was there, shows he found out about something that we and Richtofen did not know.

What could this be? I propose it is what lead to do the actions he did, and it has to do with more than one universe. I can't say precisely what it was, nor do I care to. But I believe it drove him to break the barriers between the worlds so that he could get to Agartha, see Samantha, and destroy the world. We are then shown "another" world, Origins, where Samantha claims she is in Agartha. If I were to hazard a guess, I would suggest Maxis somehow found out about Samantha's claims to be in Agartha. We know this traveled universes so that the ones in Origins could hear her, so why not some microscopic leak of info, just enough for Maxis to find out in Buried? But again, the "how" of it isn't important. What's important is the result.

Buried Maxis attempted to open the gateway. However, despite his attempt, Origins Maxis was the one who succeeded. I believe that's because Buried Maxis had already smashed it, so to speak. The comic could change this completely. Who knows? But this is what I've been going with for now.

TezFunz    3

I found something interesting in the coding, when you choose Richtofen and finish all the steps then this function will be requested.

meteors_stop_falling()

This doesn't appear when you choose Maxis so it means he destroyed the earth with meteors.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Slade said:

And another piece of evidence that we aren't talking about le multiverse just yet is Richtofen's final line. 

Richtofen clearly says here that even if Maxis were to enter Agartha and even if his daughter was still alive, she's still stuck in his body.

So that means we're talking about a single universe here, the one we're currently in. 

Yes and no. Note that he says "even if your wretched daughter is still alive". He himself doesn't know. But we must also remember that the Aether and Agartha both follow quite different rules than the "terrestrial plane"/Earth. Maxis was a brain in a jar in a drone, but he went through the portal and is later talking about "looking at his hands, and they are not the hands he remembers". In the end, its going to boil down to how they explain the house and the children. Their approach to that will be the deciding factor in a lot of theories and our understanding of the Zombies storyline.

3 hours ago, TezFunz said:

I found something interesting in the coding, when you choose Richtofen and finish all the steps then this function will be requested.

meteors_stop_falling()

This doesn't appear when you choose Maxis so it means he destroyed the earth with meteors.

You can't always trust what they call things in the code. There are a lot of things that change when making the maps and story, and the code remains the same through a lot of it. Many things didn't go anywhere and we can't take them as fact (i.e. Anti-115). It's kind of like quotes that they removed from the game. You don't know if it is true or if they removed it or didn't mention it for a reason.

That aside, even if we were to take that line of code as narrative fact, that would mean that it wasn't Maxis taking control of the Aether's energies that caused the meteors to fall. It would imply that the meteors were already falling, and that Richtofen stops them when he takes control.