New BUT.... Some How Old

itsOH

Hi Ladies and Gentleman,

I've been a very big fan of Call of Duty and the Zombies mode that comes with some of them for years, As I have played the Zombies mode through the years from World at War all the way to Black Ops 3 

and hopefully it will go on and on with new ideas and new ways to make it amazing as it already is. But some where along the way of what we are at today I think personally that they have kinda lost their touch and are getting a little out of hand, now no I'm not talking about Advanced Warfare cause that, well that was just a silly mistake ( argue if you must ) I'm talking about how now flying about on a dragon is a little out of hand, I do know its the Zombies world and anything can happen, Dragons are cool yes but for Zombies? I don't think so.... Now i'm not talking about make something like the first zombie map cause that could be a little boring, I'm saying meet somewhere in between where we are now and where we were back then, Something that's new and fun for the new upcoming gamer's but also something that is kinda old for people like me that like the old fashioned stuff better, I'm sure something you will argue and say this can't be done, In a way I agree with you as it would be a lot of hard work to do and  trying to figure out how to bring both together, But there will also be many people out there... Well possibly people out there that will agree with me on this situation.

I'm not saying make Zombies "boring" again, Just bring something back that the old fashioned gamer's of Zombies can enjoy.

Now as they say... LET THE DISCUSSION BEGIN

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the solution would be a mix: First map and dlc 2 (or last dlc maybe) could be epic, with crazy builadables, easter eggs, and the lot. Think Origins, SoE, with story like Moon, Origins, et cetera.

Dlc 1 and 3 could be 1-2 survival maps: no bizarre busywork or complex easter eggs. WW in box, grab guns perks, and play. Mostly zombies, no annoying creatures. Like SNN, Der Riese, maybe Kino without the 'Jews', maps like that. 

I've also heard this view many times before.

---------------

Honestly, try DE, leave a basic Wrath of the Ancients in the Tomb room (for emergency 'no ammo' sitch, and it shuts the dragon heads up), then play either with alternate ammo for an SoE feel, or play without alternate ammo and DE feels like Der Riese mark 2, and there is no busywork.

I often play mini WaW-esque games by breaking up SoE also (see Moar Zombie Maps Inside!).

I feel the Zombies maps are way over complicated now, I miss the simple maps from the good old days, switch the power on BOOM we have the PaP.

This swimming about and flying on Dragons has ruined it for me, that's why I play The Giant map all the time.

• Administrators

If only they could do more of what they essentially tried to do with ZNS by keeping the EE out of the way of gameplay. It's entirely optional, and the map is the best for casual play, with nothing really getting in the way of just plowing through the rounds. Even the wonder weapon; though it is great, is not a game changer, necessarily; much like the old fashioned wonder weapons. Great for clutching and getting that much needed momentary breather, but not a 100% reliable camper diaper. 

If a weapon can take out more than 15 zombies in a single blast, it ought to have a slow reload time, a small clip, and no more than 25 rounds in reserve. 

6 minutes ago, NaBrZHunter said:

Even the wonder weapon; though it is great, is not a game changer, necessarily; much like the old fashioned wonder weapons. Great for clutching and getting that much needed momentary breather, but not a 100% reliable camper diaper. 

If a weapon can take out more than 15 zombies in a single blast, it ought to have a slow reload time, a small clip, and no more than 25 rounds in reserve. 

The thing is, Wonder Weapons don't even need to be powerful. They're an entirely optional weapon you can use, that doesn't necessarily need to be used. The 31-79 JGb215 for example. It was a fun weapon that wasn't ridiculously overpowered. The Scavenger as well. It has it's uses, but at the end of the day it's just another weapon in the box that might have use. 

The Wonder Weapons post-Black Ops 1 are an uninspired mess. Some of them had potential, some of them were just absolutely garbage. Don't get me started on the Bows or the Staffs.

Really, Blundell needs to look at what was made in the past and take inspiration from what Zielinski had created. Fun maps. All the current ones, even The Giant, feel like a chore.

I completely agree. When I was first shown the Shadows of Evil trailer and saw the Margwa and bugs I was pretty disgusted. Zombies should have always been about zombies, not this mythical nonsense we're seeing now. Unfortunately I believe that this time around they're catering for the Youtube community rather than their actual playerbase. I say this because they are trying to add stuff in that get's their advertisers (the Youtubers themselves) underwear damp. Colourful, zany features that appeal to them and their audiences so that they can make trillions of videos on many different subjects. I mean... cake variation trip mines? 'Big Head' masks? Eeesh...

I prefered zombies when it followed the Nazi occultism stuff, and although still somewhat mythical, it was based around real events. Taking it into multiple dimension territory has saw it derail. I really do hope they end this current storyline in BO3 as many have predicted but I think it will just cliffhanger again an carry on again in their next outing.

I pretty much agree with everyone. Zombies WAS science fiction. Now, Zombies IS science fantasy.

Dragons and unicorns come from practically the same mythology, but they appeal to different demographics. Think about that. Zombies is now literally a franchise that could at any moment throw a unicorn at you if it wanted.

Also, Zombies is 100% centric to Youtube. If Youtube did not exist, Zombies as it is now would not exist. No human being could figure out anything, the story, the gameplay, the "easter egg" if it weren't for Youtube these days. Treyarch is using it as a crutch. Things like these ciphers substitute ACTUAL gameplay and storytelling because it is easier to write things on a paper than actually depict it.

Zombies may have been smaller in World at War and Black Ops. But it FELT bigger. It FELT... like we were going somewhere. But now... why try going anywhere when you can wait for the hand of God - excuse me, Dr. Monty - to just take you there?

| No brains welcome beyond this point. |

I just wish every bloody note wasn't a cipher now. Zetsubou went way overboard, I think over 10 ciphers in that map at least. Why can't they, or at least SOME of them be normal letters? Stuff like the HAARP note or the Illuminati scraps.

And they don't even make sense in the context. They use to actually fit the map, made you think the letter was actually there. But these BO3 ones don't. Why on earth would ZNS have anything about Brock and Gary, Gersch and Verruckt? I just feel at this point, they're there to hint at the next map. And than they put Maxis messages to Richtofen in ciphers. Seriously why can't they just be audio rift messages like in Shadows?

Very true. On top of all of that, the ciphers were a horrible decision, because at the end of the day the intelligence of the community has its limit. Put aside the fact that the majority of the ciphers are only solved by less than 5% of the community, some ciphers are too challenging. There are some that still haven't been solved and perhaps never will be.

Treyarch keeps trying to put more and more story information in these ciphers, but what they don't realize is that there are guaranteed to be some of them that NO ONE will ever figure out. That is akin to the author of a book redacted whole pages in their book with black ink. Entire pages are missing from the story just because they chose to use ciphers instead of regular notes or audio.

Oh and this is a little unrelated, but they use their opening cinematics as marketing material now. They used to have trailers AND intros, and now for the most part the trailer and intro are the same thing. And the intros are protected by ContentID making it a huge hassle for any Youtube user that doesn't have a special deal worked out with them.

Archived