Sign in to follow this  
WCRobinson

What are THE most important story maps?

WCRobinson    3

There is a lot of speculation over whether we will get remakes of some maps eventually, but it seems very unlikely we'd get ALL of them. In my opinion, the ones most tied to the story make the most sense...

If you had to pick 4 or 5 maps that aren't necessarily the best but represent the key points of the story the best for a package release, what would you choose?

Awards

anonymous    325

I think Moon is. It holds the most radios and most important Easter egg ever.

Awards

NaBrZHunter    489

They should not re-release any BO1 maps. We can already play them on XBone and doing it for PS4 only would really devalue the map pack. 

Spider3000    140
53 minutes ago, NaBrZHunter said:

They should not re-release any BO1 maps. We can already play them on XBone and doing it for PS4 only would really devalue the map pack. 

Not everyone has an Xbox One. If the maps have updated graphics, and BO3 features like Gobblegum, then they are worth it IMO.

• Like 1

Awards

Lenne    412

Now we reached a point where it's about how much story impact a map had for it to be considered remade?

I guess Origins would make the most sense then, but I would rather see maps that are great gameplay wise being remade, cause after all it is a game.

Not saying Origins is bad it is definitely the best BO II map, but BO I maps were just so much better.

Shangri La please. 

NaBrZHunter    489
52 minutes ago, Spider3000 said:

Not everyone has an Xbox One. If the maps have updated graphics, and BO3 features like Gobblegum, then they are worth it IMO.

The thing about that is that releasing those maps again would be like releasing a remake of Gorod Krovi for DLC 4. Such a remake would be completely useless to 2/3 of the community (PC and Xbox) and would make such a DLC extremely worthless.

Graphics were actually touched up for BO1 on Xbox One, and Gobblegum does not belong in those maps. Richtofen has expressly stated that Gobblegum was not around before BO3.

Spider3000    140
40 minutes ago, NaBrZHunter said:

The thing about that is that releasing those maps again would be like releasing a remake of Gorod Krovi for DLC 4

I don't think that's a fair comparison. These maps are 5 years old, Kino being almost 6. Gorod Krovi released not even a month ago.

Such a remake would be completely useless to 2/3 of the community (PC and Xbox) and would make such a DLC extremely worthless.

I don't think sales would be badly affected by Xbox One having backwards compatibility. The PC player base is pretty low as well, with the peak being under 10K players. So, I don't think it would be 2/3 of overall players. And afterall, Rezurrection was the best-selling Call of Duty Map Pack at the time. There will be a market for players who want remakes. 

Graphics were actually touched up for BO1on Xbox One, and Gobblegum does not belong in those maps. Richtofen has expressly stated that Gobblegum was not around before BO3.

The graphics were touched up, but the difference isn't very noticeable, and the maps don't look close to how they would in Black Ops 3. I've never personally heard that Richtofen quote, but regardless a quote wouldn't stop Treyarch from implementing the Gobblegum machines into the maps. They could be considered non-canon if that helped.

Sorry for derailing the thread, @WCRobinson. My top 5 story maps are in no particular order.

Der Riese: The first map to introduce any semblance of a story. We met characters who still play a very important supporting role in our new story.

Moon: Gave us background on how Griffin Station was built, and revealed to us what happened to Sam and Maxis. Not to mention the best Easter Egg ending in any Zombies map to date.

Call of the Dead: Felt like a bit of a filler map with the guest stars, but told us that Richtofen provided multiple experiments on the other characters, and is the reason for their memory loss.

Mob of the Dead: The first map to introduce the new story. It could basically be seen as a prologue to The Black Ops 3 story.

Origins: The real beginning of our new story, which set the stage for Black Ops 3 and its' story.

Awards

NaBrZHunter    489
16 minutes ago, Spider3000 said:

I don't think that's a fair comparison. These maps are 5 years old, Kino being almost 6. Gorod Krovi released not even a month ago.

I don't think sales would be badly affected by Xbox One having backwards compatibility. The PC player base is pretty low as well, with the peak being under 10K players. So, I don't think it would be 2/3 of overall players. And afterall, Rezurrection was the best-selling Call of Duty Map Pack at the time. There will be a market for players who want remakes. 

The graphics were touched up, but the difference isn't very noticeable, and the maps don't look close to how they would in Black Ops 3. I've never personally heard that Richtofen quote, but regardless a quote wouldn't stop Treyarch from implementing the Gobblegum machines into the maps. They could be considered non-canon if that helped.

The maps don't need improvement, really. They work well as it is. New content would be ideal.

And it's not sales that I think is a problem. It's the fact that I own the season pass and if you hand me a DLC full of maps I already own, I feel jipped, honestly.

I actually noticed the difference; but it doesn't need to look like BO3. The old, gritty look had all the feels that BO3's shiny slickness lacks. And as far as canon/non-canon, they have expressly established that all maps from WAW, BO, BO2 and BO3 are canon. The fact that the quote is so incredibly recent would imply that they would so easily split from established canon.

Spider3000    140
17 minutes ago, NaBrZHunter said:

The maps don't need improvement, really. They work well as it is. New content would be ideal.

I agree the maps still work well as they are, but if they are brought to Black Ops 3, then those features are required. And I would also prefer new content, but remakes would be easier and take less time as they already know what they need to make.

21 minutes ago, NaBrZHunter said:

And it's not sales that I think is a problem. It's the fact that I own the season pass and if you hand me a DLC full of maps I already own, I feel jipped, honestly.

I don't see how you could feel that way. You paid $50 for 4 map packs, with 4 Zombie Maps and 16 Multiplayer maps. You would be getting exactly what you paid for, with the remakes being bonuses.

24 minutes ago, NaBrZHunter said:

I actually noticed the difference; but it doesn't need to look like BO3. The old, gritty look had all the feels that BO3's shiny slickness lacks. And as far as canon/non-canon, they have expressly established that all maps from WAW, BO, BO2 and BO3 are canon. The fact that the quote is so incredibly recent would imply that they would so easily split from established canon.

I agree that the old maps have a very gritty feel to them, but the textures are very dated. If that gritty feel needs to be sacrificed for the ability to play my favourite maps on Current Gen, then it wouldn't be much of an issue for me.

I wasn't suggesting that the original maps be made non-canon, but the remade versions if they were to be created. I mean, it's the same deal with the Black Ops 1 remakes right? Instead of the marines in Nacht and Verrückt, we got the O4. And no one really cared then. Treyarch shouldn't adhere to a single quote that a character made, if it takes away a very unique feature that the community has

grown fond of. Gameplay should always be prioritised before story.

Awards

41 minutes ago, Spider3000 said:

I agree that the old maps have a very gritty feel to them, but the textures are very dated. If that gritty feel needs to be sacrificed for the ability to play my favourite maps on Current Gen, then it wouldn't be much of an issue for me.

In my opinion parts of Gorod Krovi have proved that they are capable of recreating that gritty feel in Black Ops 3. I think they are able to recreate that gritty feel if they wanted to.

NaBrZHunter    489
29 minutes ago, Spider3000 said:

I agree the maps still work well as they are, but if they are brought to Black Ops 3, then those features are required. And I would also prefer new content, but remakes would be easier and take less time as they already know what they need to make.

I don't see how you could feel that way. You paid $50 for 4 map packs, with 4 Zombie Maps and 16 Multiplayer maps. You would be getting exactly what you paid for, with the remakes being bonuses.

I wasn't suggesting that the original maps be made non-canon, but the remade versions if they were to be created. I mean, it's the same deal with the Black Ops 1 remakes right? Instead of the marines in Nacht and Verrückt, we got the O4. And no one really cared then. Treyarch shouldn't adhere to a single quote that a character made, if it takes away a very unique feature that the community has

grown fond of. Gameplay should always be prioritised before story.

I feel that way because I spent money for a new game. Not an old game. If I want a third copy of BO1, I can buy it at GameStop. 

As far as graphics, story and gameplay should always be prioritized over that.   And I disagree, the graphics are not so important as to justify throwing away the atmosphere that defined those maps. 

I didn't think you meant the old maps would be non canon. The Rezurrection maps are canon, just like WAW. The marines were not supposed to be in the remakes for story purposes. 

And I, @Tac @MrRoflWaffles @Monopoly Mac @MixMasterNut @BlindBusDrivr and more would heartily disagree about the quote. A single quote may hold the key to understanding vast portions of the story; especially in a quote like that. Not to mention that gameplay and story are inextricably interwoven, and in an overly analytical community such as this, allowing gameplay mechanics to trod on the toes of story is a recipe for disaster. On the other hand, there are numerous instances in which story has been given priority over gameplay.  Ergo, in order to justify the recreation of those old maps, they would have to be revisitations, not remakes. That means different quotes, different EEs and different story content behind them. Notice how The Giant may have been a remake, but they took care to ensure it did not trod on the toes of either Der Riese or any other map. 

1 hour ago, Spider3000 said:

Gameplay should always be prioritised before story.

Although I do think that gameplay is crucial and necessary, this literally pains me.

• Like 1

Spider3000    140
1 hour ago, NaBrZHunter said:

I feel that way because I spent money for a new game. Not an old game. If I want a third copy of BO1, I can buy it at GameStop. 

To each their own.

As far as graphics, story and gameplay should always be prioritized over that.   And I disagree, the graphics are not so important as to justify throwing away the atmosphere that defined those maps. 

Agree to disagree?

I didn't think you meant the old maps would be non canon. The Rezurrection maps are canon, just like WAW. The marines were not supposed to be in the remakes for story purposes. 

I'm sorry, but I don't quite follow. Both versions of the maps have two different groups of characters, but both are canon? Doesn't that kind of contradict in itself? Which is the canon group then? I'm genuinely curious.

And I, @Tac @MrRoflWaffles @Monopoly Mac @MixMasterNut @BlindBusDrivr and more would heartily disagree about the quote. A single quote may hold the key to understanding vast portions of the story; especially in a quote like that.

Of course. Which is why I suggest that they be deemed non-canon. No story conflictions because the maps would literally not be a part of the story.

On the other hand, there are numerous instances in which story has been given priority over gameplay.  Ergo, in order to justify the recreation of those old maps, they would have to be revisitations, not remakes. That means different quotes, different EEs and different story content behind them. Notice how The Giant may have been a remake, but they took care to ensure it did not trod on the toes of either Der Riese or any other map. 

And honestly some would argue that it shouldn't have been done. The Mob of the Dead and Origins Easter Eggs come to mind. The endings were great for story players. and I personally enjoyed them. But there were no rewards whatsoever for gameplay players.

Not to mention that gameplay and story are inextricably interwoven, and in an overly analytical community such as this, allowing gameplay mechanics to trod on the toes of story is a recipe for disaster 

This is very true. Again, this is why I suggest the maps be non-canon.

Ergo, in order to justify the recreation of those old maps, they would have to be revisitations, not remakes. That means different quotes, different EEs and different story content behind them. Notice how The Giant may have been a remake, but they took care to ensure it did not trod on the toes of either Der Riese or any other map. 

I disagree. They don't have to be revisitations. They don't have to compliment the story. Most players couldn't care less about the story. People want old maps back, because they enjoyed playing them, and have fond memories. I also imagined the players as being the Original 4, and not the Origins crew, but I don't know if Treyarch would do that.

1 hour ago, AetherialVoices said:

Although I do think that gameplay is crucial and necessary, this literally pains me.

Like it or not, it's true for most games including CoD. Most players don't play for the story. They play to have fun with friends, and to try to get to high rounds.

Awards

17 minutes ago, Spider3000 said:

I'm sorry, but I don't quite follow. Both versions of the maps have two different groups of characters, but both are canon? Doesn't that kind of contradict in itself? Which is the canon group then? I'm genuinely curious.

Both. They are coexisting in separate timelines.

19 minutes ago, Spider3000 said:

Like it or not, it's true for most games including CoD. Most players don't play for the story. They play to have fun with friends, and to try to get to high rounds.

I am aware of this. However, I'm really not a fan of absolutes on subjective matters. Even if something is true, for example Treyarch prioritizing Multiplayer over Zombies, it doesn't mean that they "always should". It is a subjective matter. So in conclusion, agree to disagree.

• Like 1

NaBrZHunter    489
4 hours ago, AetherialVoices said:

Both. They are coexisting in separate timelines.

Not canon, but one might assume as much. The only problem being that the multiverse wasn't introduced until BO3, and the Rezurrection map pack is just an extension of the original timeline; or perhaps not even seperate, as they are essentially the same with the exception of Nacht and Verruckt, which is up for interpretation. But in essence, you are right. They are not non-canon. 

@Spider3000 sure, we can agree to disagree. 

About Mob and Origins, however, the EEs were well balanced and didn't encroach on the gameplay...except of course, for Sam's incessant babbling. There tends to be a small subsection of the community that tends to have a lot of disdain for the story in zombies. However, the heavy emphasis Treyarch has put on story this time around, indicating that story development is one of the top factors they concentrate on. Most players may not be hyper aware of the story, especially prior to Mob, but the fact that Treyarch considers story so important as to open every game with a cutscene literally forcing it into peoples' field of view has permanently changed that. If you didn't know the story before, you know there is one now. With two cutscenes per map, full length story oriented EEs that stray far from gameplay, heavy references to older zombie maps and story, BO1 backwards compatibility, trailers, bios and inside thoughts with the characters, even giving Mountain Dew and Doritos 5-story oriented ads and heavy Intel talks with Blundell, I think the day has finally come when story is equal in priority to gameplay. Do I prefer it that way? Not necessarily. But the fact that it is now so important does give me reassurance as far as the importance of a single quote and the fact that Treyarch will not release a non-canon map. 

• Like 1