Your Dearest Sailor

Monty is trying to break the group up?

This may be a completely stupid topic.. Idk i get nervous before posting something on this site in case i look dumb. Please tell me if this is dumb. :smile:

Thanks to JusticeOfKarma on Reddit for making a list of the quotes, a google docs can be found here where you see what other people have heard during the game.

Okay so I think we’ve all noticed how much Richtofen has changed from the older games, I mean he’s still a little crazy but he’s had definitely changed but I don’t know if he can be trusted. He’s very cryptic and doesn’t tell the others many things about what's happening because he feels it would be too much of a burden for them to know (i think that’s what he says) but maybe he has other things planned or he could actually be telling the truth. Dr. Monty seems to think that he can’t be trusted from what he says to Dempsey about Richtofen in Gorod Krovi

“keep a close eye on him - I think he's up to something.” - Monty talking to Dempsey about Richtofen

He seems so convinced that Richtofen is up to no good but I kind of think it’s all rubbish. I feel like Monty is messing with the other 3 because he knows they already have doubts about this whole thing. I’ve seen so many people say they feel like Monty is a bad guy so why wouldn’t he try to break the group up and foil their plans? I think he's trying to split the group up by telling them things that would make them distrust each other.

“So, besides the changes in your own outlook, have you noticed a change in Richthofen? Dempsey? Well I’m not trying to stir things up but, does it seem to you like the two of them may be scheming between themselves?" - Monty to Takeo

We see that Monty is saying these things to make Takeo think that Richtofen and Dempsey are planning something against him and Nikolai. Also why would he talk to Dempsey and tell him how he thinks Richtofen can't be trusted then talks to Takeo saying he thinks Dempsey and Richtofen are working together? It doesn't make sense.

Monty talks to other 3 in different tone to how he talks to Richtofen, he talks to them as if he is a friend and it always seems like he’s trying to make them feel like he can be trusted.

“You're a good soldier. You always were.” - Monty to Dempsey

"There are certain things that you can't ever change, Nikolai. All I ask, is that you do the right thing. The right thing .. for everyone." - Monty to Nikolai

Like I said before Monty knows that the others already dislike and distrust Richtofen so he keeps trying to play on that idea and makes comments about trusting him.

“So! Richtofen .. I'm kind of surprised you've gone along with him this far! Didn't you despise him at one point?” - Monty reminding Dempsey about how he feels about Richtofen

I don’t know I can just see some sort of betrayal coming or something..  

Edited by Your Dearest Sailor
  • Like 1

Awards

Winterrrr    0

He is trying to separate them and make them think that Maxis is just using them for something else. There is a quote for Richtofen where he asks if he owns Maxis something, he is trying to say to ditch Maxis and go with his (Monty) Plan.

Spider3000    140
On 15 July 2016 at 0:46 PM, Your Dearest Sailor said:

This may be a completely stupid topic.. Idk i get nervous before posting something on this site in case i look dumb. Please tell me if this is dumb. :smile:

Well, first of all you shouldn't be nervous about starting discussions. I felt the same when I first joined the site, but no one is going to tell you your topic is stupid.

As for Monty, yeah you're very right in what you're saying, he is definitely trying to turn the group against each other. The group have a very fragile alliance. They have become more trusting of each other following the recent maps, but it still would not take much for that delicate trust to fall apart. Monty is doing his best to take advantage of that, now that they are very close to completing their mission. 

It also doesn't help Richtofen's case that he is very hesitant to actually tell the group what is going on, and why they should trust him.

There is a conflict between Monty and Richtofen, but I don't think it's as black and white as good versus evil. As said in his "Memories" trailer, Richtofen has lied, manipulated and deceived to reach his goal. Richtofen's intentions, for the most part, do seem to be pure, but in my opinion neither one can be trusted.

Awards

On 17/07/2016 at 6:31 PM, Spider3000 said:

As for Monty, yeah you're very right in what you're saying, he is definitely trying to turn the group against each other. The group have a very fragile alliance. They have become more trusting of each other following the recent maps, but it still would not take much for that delicate trust to fall apart. Monty is doing his best to take advantage of that, now that they are very close to completing their mission. 

I'm just confused because why would Monty want them to split up? What would he gain from having them be enemies? And his way of doing it seems very strange, he's making Takeo distrust Dempsey and Richtofen but he only makes Dempsey distrust Richtofen, plus he never mentions anything to Nikolai about the others which is very weird.

On 17/07/2016 at 6:31 PM, Spider3000 said:

There is a conflict between Monty and Richtofen, but I don't think it's as black and white as good versus evil. As said in his "Memories" trailer, Richtofen has lied, manipulated and deceived to reach his goal. Richtofen's intentions, for the most part, do seem to be pure, but in my opinion neither one can be trusted.

Theres is obviously something going on between Richtofen and Monty but what is it? Richtofen did all those bad things to reach his goal but he still did what Monty wanted him to do, so why would Monty have those bad feeling towards him? I trust Richtofen because he isn't the same person he used to be which is clear from his dialogue and I think even he is too tired to carry on with being bad.

On 17/07/2016 at 5:57 PM, Winterrrr said:

There is a quote for Richtofen where he asks if he owns Maxis something, he is trying to say to ditch Maxis and go with his (Monty) Plan.

This is the quote you were talking about:

"Look - I know you've had a lot to deal with. I know how hard you've been trying, but I really can't be sure exactly why you're doing it! I mean, it's not as if you owe Maxis anything .. Is it?"

I don't think Monty is telling him to ditch Maxis.

I'm sorry I have more questions than answers

Awards

Slade    270
1 hour ago, Your Dearest Sailor said:

I'm just confused because why would Monty want them to split up? What would he gain from having them be enemies? And his way of doing it seems very strange, he's making Takeo distrust Dempsey and Richtofen but he only makes Dempsey distrust Richtofen, plus he never mentions anything to Nikolai about the others which is very weird,

Because he must be afraid that Richtofen will be actually succesful with the plan. 

Since ZNS we know that Monty was actually the one who came up with the whole collect souls save universe plan, including finding the Kronorium. He first told everything to Maxis, who then told Richtofen about it. 
The key here is that Maxis purposefully withheld some information regarding the plan to Richtofen. 

From Richtofen's memories trailer however, we know Richtofen knows and that he has countermearues (the blood vials) with him to protect him.

So yes, Monty is afraid that Richtofen will complete this grand plan (or that Richtofen will find out either his identity or the secret Maxis and Monty kept from him). Which Monty actually came up with. The only way this makes sense really is if you look at it from this way: Monty never wants them to succeed.

Spoiler

"Look - I know you've had a lot to deal with. I know how hard you've been trying, but I really can't be sure exactly why you're doing it! I mean, it's not as if you owe Maxis anything .. Is it?"

@Your Dearest Sailor  He's making Richtofen question the reason he's continuing on with the plan. We know this quote is a direct lie on Monty's part, because he's "ominpotent" and he's been following our characters since the beginning + he knows Maxis.

So obviously, Monty knows that Richtofen owes Maxis something. He just decides not to mention it, probably because if he did it would reveal his identity to Richtofen. Which he goes to great lengths to ensure it's a (another) secret kept from Richtofen.

• Like 1